Wal-Mart Supercenter will be a boon to Santa Fe

This is in reply to three recent letters, by Stan Bermann, John Molanphy and Barbara Aran, regarding their opposition to a Wal-Mart Supercenter. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Alice Lee--Santa Fe

Rio Rancho, NM

#1 Jul 3, 2009
Why do we need two Wal-marts in Santa Fe? I suppose this giant corporation hasn't put enough mom and pop stores out of business yet. Times change I admit, but not always for the better. I have seen many small towns whose mains streets have been totally deserted and boarded up. Outside the town looms a Wal-mart. This is not just happening here in NM, but all over our country. The demise of main streets across the country cannot be attributed to one cause (ie, the establishment of a Wal-mart), but I'm convinced thatit contributes. For me, a middle class person, I will never set foot in a Wal-mart. I'd rather support the "small" guy like Big Jo's True Value Hardware, who knows truly what customer service means.
Pamela

United States

#3 Jul 12, 2009
I personally can't wait for the new Wal-Mart Supercenter to open in Santa Fe. I have been traveling to the Bernalillo Supercenter to buy my groceries. The savings for my family is significant, well worth the trip. I wish that people would stop complaining about things that really doesn't make any difference to them. I think some people have entirely too much time on their hands and think that fighting new development is their job. Many of these people have no idea what it is like to live paycheck to paycheck and they despise those of us who do. We are a hard working family that the savings of a Walmart Supercenter would really make a difference for. So PLEASE, instead of complaining find a job that doesn't hurt others.

Since: Sep 08

Espanola, NM

#4 Jul 12, 2009
Alice Lee--Santa Fe wrote:
Why do we need two Wal-marts in Santa Fe? I suppose this giant corporation hasn't put enough mom and pop stores out of business yet. Times change I admit, but not always for the better. I have seen many small towns whose mains streets have been totally deserted and boarded up. Outside the town looms a Wal-mart. This is not just happening here in NM, but all over our country. The demise of main streets across the country cannot be attributed to one cause (ie, the establishment of a Wal-mart), but I'm convinced thatit contributes. For me, a middle class person, I will never set foot in a Wal-mart. I'd rather support the "small" guy like Big Jo's True Value Hardware, who knows truly what customer service means.
What is this "who knows truly what customer service means"?

Have you been in WalMart to pass judgment on that?

Let Mom and Pop get a job. BTW, True Value is a large chain.

Since: Oct 08

Questa, NM

#5 Jul 12, 2009
Alice Lee--Santa Fe wrote:
True value....a nation wide chain has put many small guys out of business....and you need to get over yourself...you seem to be one of those who for some strange reason think that you are too good or too far above others to shop at walmart.
DLL

Nagoya, Japan

#6 Jul 12, 2009
My only worry about this new WSC is that it will put the other supermarkets--where I'll be shopping to avoid the hordes of the unwashed--out of business. But I do like the idea of a place that attracts all the people you rather not be around in one place--easier to avoid them that way.

Espanola, NM

#7 Jul 12, 2009
DLL wrote:
My only worry about this new WSC is that it will put the other supermarkets--where I'll be shopping to avoid the hordes of the unwashed--out of business. But I do like the idea of a place that attracts all the people you rather not be around in one place--easier to avoid them that way.
Some stinky people in Japan?
global warming

Rio Rancho, NM

#8 Jul 12, 2009
DLL wrote:
will make them stinky.

They can put in a McDonalds, Subway, and a Japanese bath house.

Don't worry, the unwashed rich will still shop at Trader Joes and Whole foods, with their dreadlocks.
Romanoff

Santa Fe, NM

#9 Jul 12, 2009
global warming wrote:
<quoted text>
will make them stinky.
Don't worry, the unwashed rich will still shop at Trader Joes and Whole foods, with their dreadlocks.
Wal-mart is great for standard off the shelf items.

Big Jo's is a pretty good hardware store. But I deal with Home Depot and Lowe's too.

The reason to go to Whole Foods (and maybe the new Sunflower market-don't know yet) is the superior meat and seafood counters. If you want organic- then grow your own. That is the only way to really be sure that the produce didn't get switched....or sprayed...

Trader Joe's is a discount imported food outfit (think Chinese fish farms....)..shop carefully grasshopper.
DLL

Costa Mesa, CA

#10 Jul 12, 2009
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Some stinky people in Japan?
Hard not to be stinky and sticky right now. 90 plus with 75% humidity as drip sweat from the walk from the car.
Chucho

United States

#11 Jul 12, 2009
Unwashed?? Not me. I always shower and put on clean underwear before I shop at Wal*Mart.
DLL

Costa Mesa, CA

#12 Jul 12, 2009
With the price of underwear there, you probably don't have to clean them--just throw 'em out and put on a new pair.
You are

Albuquerque, NM

#13 Jul 12, 2009
TruettCollins wrote:
<quoted text>
True value....a nation wide chain has put many small guys out of business....and you need to get over yourself...you seem to be one of those who for some strange reason think that you are too good or too far above others to shop at walmart.
...so full of it. I know who this person is and she definitely doesn't need to "get over herself". You on the other hand seriously need to pull your head out.
ha ha ha

Santa Fe, NM

#14 Jul 13, 2009
global warming wrote:
<quoted text>
will make them stinky.
yup, keep those stinky unbathed rich w/their dirty clothes and dirty hari at Trader JOes. you can keep you bugs.
Peskime

Portales, NM

#15 Jul 13, 2009
I wonder how many new "Super" Walmart employees will be working just under the 40 hour week so they won't be eligible for health coverage and the state will have to cover these same people?

Sort of a trend for the Mega Corporation who sells cheap **** from China.
Peskime

Portales, NM

#16 Jul 13, 2009
global warming wrote:
<quoted text>
will make them stinky.
And you can buy those cheap Chinese toys that will inevitably lower your kids' IQ because of all the lead and other toxins to be found.
But hey, you saved a two bucks.

Since: Oct 08

Questa, NM

#17 Jul 13, 2009
You are wrote:
<quoted text>...so full of it. I know who this person is and she definitely doesn't need to "get over herself". You on the other hand seriously need to pull your head out.
So we hear from just one more who think they are too good to shop where others do......
Cynic

Albuquerque, NM

#19 Jul 13, 2009
TruettCollins wrote:
<quoted text>
That misses the point; True Value is a franchise. That means the store is locally owned and operated, and usually has an agreement with the franchise holder for advertising, supply chain, and signage. Wal-Mart is completely owned by Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. and its stockholders. Wal-Mart owns and operates everything, even the supply chain, which has been key to its success.

However, price sells, and it's hard if not impossible to beat Wal-Mart at this game, since its buying power is large enough to force domestic suppliers to outsource labor oversea in order to keep prices low enough to satisfy Wal-Mart.

Wal-Mart started and grew out of the concept of 'Made in America.' After Sam Walton's death, the focus of the company shifted to 'continued growth and profit at all costs.'

Wal-mart's success isn't what people revile, it's the perversion of that success into raw greed. Greed is not good. Greed undermines the fundamental trust that perpetuates society.

Maybe people wouldn't be so hostile towards Wal-Mart if they were still based around promoting American made products. I suppose no one cares, since they don't teach good economics in school anymore, and more Americans seem satisfied with attaining some level of celebrity than with making sure their community, at any level, is resilient.

I have very little faith in American society too do the right thing. As long as it's cheap and fast, who cares about the bigger picture. Ethics, who cares? If it's got my favorite brand name on it, I don't care how much human suffering went into it! American Idol is on!

Since: Jul 09

Kihei, HI

#20 Jul 13, 2009
Unless there has been a change, True-Value is a name. You buy or rent your own retail space, pay your own labor, ins, taxes, etc.

All True-Value does is provide your inventory which you pay for also. And you get a name one can recognize. Plus extra discounts if you buy enough from them. They may advise you from time to time and help with some paper work.

You get to order new inventory and have it delivered once a week just like 7/11.

I definitely would not compare it with WalMart.

I suspect the True-Value in Santa Fe is privately owned too. BTW, where is it?

Albuquerque, NM

#21 Jul 13, 2009
Zorkon 756 wrote:
Unless there has been a change, True-Value is a name. You buy or rent your own retail space, pay your own labor, ins, taxes, etc.
All True-Value does is provide your inventory which you pay for also. And you get a name one can recognize. Plus extra discounts if you buy enough from them. They may advise you from time to time and help with some paper work.
You get to order new inventory and have it delivered once a week just like 7/11.
I definitely would not compare it with WalMart.
I suspect the True-Value in Santa Fe is privately owned too. BTW, where is it?
Isn't Big Joe the Santa Fe True Value. On Siler Road. Best store in town.

Since: Jul 09

Kihei, HI

#22 Jul 13, 2009
Pablo Baca wrote:
<quoted text>
Isn't Big Joe the Santa Fe True Value. On Siler Road. Best store in town.
Oh, yes. I remember now. I'm just so used to them being downtown.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Santa Fe New Mexican Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pro-choice stance a deal breaker for these Demo... (Oct '08) Jan 24 apodacamel 15
Small-scale room design tips (Apr '09) Jan 12 Pavlos Lombardi 2
Santa Fe Horse Park co-owner to lose home to fo... (Feb '09) Jan 3 sharonk 16
Snow Trax: Ski season wraps up (Mar '09) Dec '14 Paul Szeman 12
'The Awakening' lies dormant amid legal dispute (Oct '09) Dec '14 cfb 26
Judge Ray Ortiz committed to improving S.F (Jan '09) Nov '14 GEORGIA 9
Lawsuit against S.F. bicycle shop sees delays (May '09) Nov '14 Felicity 16
More from around the web