Fatal crash on Old Pecos Trail

Fatal crash on Old Pecos Trail

There are 62 comments on the The Santa Fe New Mexican story from Sep 18, 2009, titled Fatal crash on Old Pecos Trail. In it, The Santa Fe New Mexican reports that:

A 76-year-old Santa Fe woman died this morning when the vehicle she was driving apparently turned into the path of a northbound pickup truck on Old Pecos Trail at Quail Run Road, police said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Santa Fe New Mexican.

Judith

Windsor, CA

#42 Sep 19, 2009
I almost called the city about 2 weeks ago to complain about the construction vehicles blocking visibility at this intersection. I was making this exact left turn from Quail Run onto OPT. A construction pick up truck was parked on the corner completely blocking the view while the driver was standing nearby yakking on the phone. He saw my predicament, but ignored it. If this is city construction, they should be held accountable.
Old Stamm Home

Santa Fe, NM

#43 Sep 19, 2009
Judith wrote:
I almost called the city about 2 weeks ago to complain about the construction vehicles blocking visibility at this intersection. I was making this exact left turn from Quail Run onto OPT. A construction pick up truck was parked on the corner completely blocking the view while the driver was standing nearby yakking on the phone. He saw my predicament, but ignored it. If this is city construction, they should be held accountable.
If I were the family I would look into this, a good lawyer would win the case in court. It does not matter if it is the city or a private contractor, hired by the city. Does the phrase due diligence ring a bell. What regard is there for public safty, where are the signs to reduce speed? End result another fatality!

Too many times this happens in Santa Fe, a little flashing orange light on the vehicle blocking traffic does not constitute safe traffic management.

Time to pay the piper.

Since: Sep 09

Albuquerque, NM

#44 Sep 19, 2009
A few facts for consideration.

Intersections require a visability triangle for safety. The visability triangle on the corner of Quail Run and Old Pecos Trail currently has a 6'x10'x34' pile of dirt obstructing the views of both north bound traffic on OPT and drivers exiting Quail Run.

The dirt is from a water line installation project for the Homewise affordable housing development on Old Las Vegas Highway. Homewise contracted with an Albuquerque company for the installation. It is not a City project.

The Homewise final development plan which was approved by the City showed the water line connection on Old Santa Fe Trail.

Homewise saved $50,000 by moving the water line to Old Pecos Trail after the final plan approval.

The City Council was noticed prior to approval of the annexation and final Homewise development plan that the OPT corridor was a major safety concern and that the New Mexico Transporation Department had declared the Old Las Vegas Highway and Old Pecos Trail crossing a "failed intersection".

In my opinion, it was irresponsible of the City to approve this development without having safe infrastructure in place for the citizens who travel this road daily. Many of these are residents of Quail Run, Sol y Lomas and Eldorado, all communities that have existed for 20 years or longer.

Homewise and the City should be held accountable for this tragedy.

My thoughts and prayers are with the friends and family of Ms. Wilkes and I pray they find peace.

Joe Helpful

Florence, AL

#46 Sep 19, 2009
Old Stamm Home wrote:
<quoted text>
If I were the family I would look into this, a good lawyer would win the case in court. It does not matter if it is the city or a private contractor, hired by the city. Does the phrase due diligence ring a bell. What regard is there for public safty, where are the signs to reduce speed? End result another fatality!
Too many times this happens in Santa Fe, a little flashing orange light on the vehicle blocking traffic does not constitute safe traffic management.
Time to pay the piper.
you people are a trip. i saw the exact same construction crew. it was a construction zone. they had markers. does 'old stamm home' and 'judith' know what it means when you see a construction zone? if not.. maybe you should a kindergarten in this city and ask for an opinion from a 5 year old.

i'm now curious...'judith' said she was making the same turn. sooooo, did she?

there is something in this world people... it's called COMMON SENSE. if you can't see around the vehicle.. maybe you should ***BLINDLY*** make that turn.

i am certainly not referring to this accident.. i am merely stating *my* perception of these recent poster's remarks.

my condolences to the entire Wilkes family... but i also can't even begin to imagine how her son and his wife at the airport must have felt.

smcentre

Florence, AL

#47 Sep 19, 2009
I am a member at Quail Run CC and but I don't reside at Quail Run.......I went to QR this morning for excercise and I noticed specifically that the construction pile of dirt near the entry of QR substantially blocked the view in seeing the traffic on Pecos Trail....The deceased's estate should seek damages from the contractor and Homewise(developer) and the City for their conduct which was grossly negligent........
smcentre

Florence, AL

#48 Sep 19, 2009
I trust that the Wilkes family will seek damages from the contractor, Homewise and the City which was grossly negligent as these traffic control issues were discussed in detail previously with the City.......My prayers are with the Wilkes family and their friends.......Mayor Coss says that Santa Fe is an inclusive community;where is the support for the residents/members at QR who donate their time and resources to civic goals in the community......Coss, we just want a "fair shake"..........
Kelly

United States

#49 Sep 19, 2009
You have a good point there Alan. Nowhere in the article does it state she was exiting Quail Run and attempting to cross and turn left onto southbound Old Pecos Trail.
Dan Wilkes

Branford, CT

#50 Sep 20, 2009
Kelly wrote:
You have a good point there Alan. Nowhere in the article does it state she was exiting Quail Run and attempting to cross and turn left onto southbound Old Pecos Trail.
There was a witness to my sister's accident who reported that indeed, she was exiting Quail Run and attempting to cross and turn left.
What

Huntsville, AL

#51 Sep 20, 2009
smcentre wrote:
Mayor Coss says that Santa Fe is an inclusive community;where is the support for the residents/members at QR who donate their time and resources to civic goals in the community......Coss, we just want a "fair shake"..........
What the he!! are you talking about? This is about a woman killed in an car accident, not about a bunch of people that live behind a gated fence. You mention Coss's claim of inclusivity yet you sound like you are expecting QR to be viewed as exclusive.

Since: Sep 09

Albuquerque, NM

#52 Sep 20, 2009
What wrote:
<quoted text>What the he!! are you talking about? This is about a woman killed in an car accident, not about a bunch of people that live behind a gated fence. You mention Coss's claim of inclusivity yet you sound like you are expecting QR to be viewed as exclusive.
smcentre is right on. Remember, one of the victims in this accident lived at Quail Run and the other lived in the Arroyo Chamiso neighborhood, a middle class area. Both neighborhoods are part of the City designated ACSyL (Arroyo Chamiso Sol y Lomas) neighborhood association and both border the very dangerous OPT corridor. For the mayor and city council to approve a 50 home development on Old Las Vegas Highway without creating safe infrastructure is irresponsible at the least and more likely is negligent. But it is an affordable housing development after all and maybe the mayor and councilors don't care if they put 50 "poor" families at risk when they travel the OPT corridor. That's truly "inclusive".
Longtime Local

Albuquerque, NM

#53 Sep 20, 2009
"The very dangerous Old Pecos Trail corridor"... Are you kidding? It's two lanes from St. Michael's Drive to I-25, and that's only a mile and a half, with a 40 MPH speed limit. This seems like a well designed road/corridor. I do remember feeling inconvenienced when it was being built, but now I appreciate how much better it is.
LOL

Albuquerque, NM

#54 Sep 21, 2009
deliverygirl wrote:
<quoted text>
smcentre is right on. Remember, one of the victims in this accident lived at Quail Run and the other lived in the Arroyo Chamiso neighborhood, a middle class area. Both neighborhoods are part of the City designated ACSyL (Arroyo Chamiso Sol y Lomas) neighborhood association and both border the very dangerous OPT corridor. For the mayor and city council to approve a 50 home development on Old Las Vegas Highway without creating safe infrastructure is irresponsible at the least and more likely is negligent. But it is an affordable housing development after all and maybe the mayor and councilors don't care if they put 50 "poor" families at risk when they travel the OPT corridor. That's truly "inclusive".
And guess who strongly opposed the affordable housing development? The residents at Quail Run. AND it had nothing to do with the traffic concerns. Of course they don't want the "poor", peoples homes next to theirs. Now that's exclusive, isn't it?
nope

Albuquerque, NM

#55 Sep 21, 2009
LOL wrote:
<quoted text>?
that's a lie.
quit

Albuquerque, NM

#56 Sep 21, 2009
LOL wrote:
<quoted text>And guess who strongly opposed the affordable housing development? The residents at Quail Run. AND it had nothing to do with the traffic concerns. Of course they don't want the "poor", peoples homes next to theirs. Now that's exclusive, isn't it?
trying to deflect. There were (and still are)plenty of good reasons to question development in Santa Fe - especially of that scale at that location. Why it is even going forward in this economy escapes me.
WHAT THE

Albuquerque, NM

#57 Sep 21, 2009
did anyone say he was SPEEDING!!!! I have alost taken out a car coming from Quail Run. They don't abey the laws and simply plow into traffic. I go this way everyday and have seen this many times.
Sam wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, that is what I am advocating for. Check it out, I do not even reside anywhere in this neighborhood but I use this primary corridor everyday to get to and from work at St. V's Hospital. And I also care about my fellow neigbbors on the road and hoping that I don't get rear ended or t-bone at these entrances and exits along OPT.
Take care and be safe.
WHAT THE

Albuquerque, NM

#58 Sep 21, 2009
I commute on this road daily and have seen cars coming from Quail Run plow into traffic.
Tom V

Las Cruces, NM

#59 Sep 22, 2009
MARY wrote:
If you claim to be a reporter, GET THE FACTS RIGHT, you IDIOT!!!!!!!!!! AT LEAST YOU HAVE A JOB!!! I think I'm living in a 3rd world country here in NM ........
Then go back where you came from, please.
smcentre

Florence, AL

#60 Sep 24, 2009
What wrote:
<quoted text>What the he!! are you talking about? This is about a woman killed in an car accident, not about a bunch of people that live behind a gated fence. You mention Coss's claim of inclusivity yet you sound like you are expecting QR to be viewed as exclusive.
..........Fairness is that all of the citizens of Santa Fe are respected and appreciated ;not that the citizens with resources, including time/funds are not taken for granted...seems that you are only interested in handouts and jealous with folks with options..........
smcentre

Florence, AL

#61 Sep 30, 2009
I wrote to the Mayor and City Manager advising them to read and consider the approx. 100 letters sent to The New Mexican about the QR accident.....The community and myself have not rec'd any response from the Mayor/City Mgr.........Are they concerned about liability or they just don't care to be involved.....Probably both..........Their inaccesibility must NOT be forgotten in the forthcoming election..........
nmlawgirl

Santa Fe, NM

#62 Mar 14, 2011
Judith wrote:
Judith: would you mind contacting me by email to discuss your post? Our law firm is investigating this situation on behalf of the deceased's family. You can email me at [email protected] Thank you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Santa Fe New Mexican Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News New Mexico's population growth slows to crawl Mon faceit 1
News Convicted stalker running for Pearce's seat as ... Nov 15 Demo Rats 7
News New Mexico lawmakers urged to raise renewable e... Nov 13 Solarman 1
News Police on lookout for 'healer' in scam probe (Jul '09) Sep '17 Sharon 88
News Despite pardon, Arpaio judge isn't convinced sh... Sep '17 tomin cali 1
News At risk in Rohingya exodus: 230,000 children, h... Sep '17 Wildchild 1
News About those climate denials: You're wrong Sep '17 Talkin To A 9yo 9
More from around the web