Fatal crash on Old Pecos Trail

A 76-year-old Santa Fe woman died this morning when the vehicle she was driving apparently turned into the path of a northbound pickup truck on Old Pecos Trail at Quail Run Road, police said. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Alan

Albuquerque, NM

#1 Sep 18, 2009
Thanks for the (not) clear information, Denis. You don't even state which direction the woman was going, and from what I can suppose, maybe she was heading north also, and attempted to turn left from the right lane of the two lane Old Pecos Trail, onto Sol Y Lomas St. You state she "was attempting to turn left into the southbound lane".(?) Why bother writing a story if you can't re-read/proofread, consider the relevant points/accuracy? It's called Journalism 100 in your case. Then you're ready to tackle 101.
Bradly Gumpshaw

Los Angeles, CA

#2 Sep 18, 2009
There you go. The person in the truck lives and the person not in the truck dies.

How many times do we have to see this repated to learn the lesson that small cars are death traps.
Phil Emanuelli

Denver, CO

#3 Sep 19, 2009
Bradly Gumpshaw wrote:
There you go. The person in the truck lives and the person not in the truck dies.
How many times do we have to see this repated to learn the lesson that small cars are death traps.
Since when is a Lexus SUV a 'small car'?
Sad

United States

#4 Sep 19, 2009
It is pretty sad that this happened for what ever the reasons might have been. The statement by Lettenburger about the construction equipment is not irresponsible. He should not speculate. If they were the cause say so, if not, why speculate. He should have known by the time the investigation was over. They had the intersection blocked long enough to find out.
MARY

Albuquerque, NM

#5 Sep 19, 2009
If you claim to be a reporter, GET THE FACTS RIGHT, you IDIOT!!!!!!!!!! AT LEAST YOU HAVE A JOB!!! I think I'm living in a 3rd world country here in NM ........
I guarantee

Rio Rancho, NM

#6 Sep 19, 2009
I guarantee two things caused this: 1) age; 2) speed. Left turns out of Quail Run should not happen. The speed limit there is 45 and most people speed there. But even if people did not speed, there are two lanes that must be crossed. Most residents at QR are elderly with impaired motor skills. Ban left turns or this is going to happen again. Additionally, speeds along OPT all the length of Old Las Vegas Highway to Eldo turn-off should be reduced to 40mph. There are going to be more accidents. 5 people killed within this corridor and speed had a lot to do with it.
David

Albuquerque, NM

#7 Sep 19, 2009
The reporting is clear, the lady was turning left into the southbound lane. It is obvious to anyone who pays attention that she was on the east or mountain side of the road, turning left from Quail Run, into the southbound lane when she was hit. What more do you need, a map?
republikansbite

Las Vegas, NM

#8 Sep 19, 2009
the cops were running speed traps just last week in that area, and i have to admit i was very bugged, in retrospect they had cause
Geeze

Albuquerque, NM

#9 Sep 19, 2009
MARY wrote:
If you claim to be a reporter, GET THE FACTS RIGHT, you IDIOT!!!!!!!!!! AT LEAST YOU HAVE A JOB!!! I think I'm living in a 3rd world country here in NM ........
Calm down. It must be pretty awful in your 3rd world country.
vireya

Barnstable, MA

#10 Sep 19, 2009
Please correct your spelling of my cousin's name

It is doriaN Wilkes

Since: Sep 08

Santa Fe

#11 Sep 19, 2009
This may not be popular, and it ain`t no fault of her own. Yet I`v always said ,After a certain age people should take regular driving tests.
Reactions, and visions do deteriorate.

Since: Dec 08

Santa Fe, NM

#12 Sep 19, 2009
This is the second time this type of accident has happened in recent years. An older woman making an identical turn from the street next to the motel was killed in that one.

I live in this area and have to make a left turn onto OPT to go north. It's scary at times. My only other choice is to go right, then right again on Rodeo to St Francis... a very long way around to get where I want to go most of the time.

Since OPT became four lanes, the speeds have gone up exponentially. I think 45 is probably the right speed for a road of that sort, but it's not being enforced.
Sam

Las Vegas, NM

#13 Sep 19, 2009
The whole entire OPT corridor on both sides should be reevaluated by the city traffic division. The Quail Run entrances and exits that lead into OPT should probably have a traffic light installed and paid for by the Quail Run residents. Again, the accident could of been prevented if a stop light or a four stop signs program was implemented for this senior citizen community. Can it be done, I think the city should really look at the other options in redisigning this heavily traveled corridor.

In terms of speed enforcement, the driver's who use this OPT corridor should know better, yet, they push thier foot on the petal and everyone who violates the speed limit deserve a good ticket. If you speed on this city road, the city should increase the speeding fines for this specific road and declare it as a "Safety Corridor" due to the residential areas located in the area. Nothing is going to change if the people of Santa Fe do not hold these governmental officials accountable.
No left turns

Rio Rancho, NM

#14 Sep 19, 2009
Petchy in Santa Fe wrote:
This is the second time this type of accident has happened in recent years. An older woman making an identical turn from the street next to the motel was killed in that one.
I live in this area and have to make a left turn onto OPT to go north. It's scary at times. My only other choice is to go right, then right again on Rodeo to St Francis... a very long way around to get where I want to go most of the time.
Since OPT became four lanes, the speeds have gone up exponentially. I think 45 is probably the right speed for a road of that sort, but it's not being enforced.
There should be no left turns out of these side streets....too much speed, too many lanes and lots of older folks. If the city were smart, which we know for a fact they are not, they would do special u-turn lanes such as those found in Michigan or TX
photoman

Albuquerque, NM

#15 Sep 19, 2009
Sam wrote:
The whole entire OPT corridor on both sides should be reevaluated by the city traffic division. The Quail Run entrances and exits that lead into OPT should probably have a traffic light installed and paid for by the Quail Run residents. Again, the accident could of been prevented if a stop light or a four stop signs program was implemented for this senior citizen community. Can it be done, I think the city should really look at the other options in redisigning this heavily traveled corridor.
In terms of speed enforcement, the driver's who use this OPT corridor should know better, yet, they push thier foot on the petal and everyone who violates the speed limit deserve a good ticket. If you speed on this city road, the city should increase the speeding fines for this specific road and declare it as a "Safety Corridor" due to the residential areas located in the area. Nothing is going to change if the people of Santa Fe do not hold these governmental officials accountable.
A stop light should be in place. In the past ten years it has become increasingly difficult to make a left turn from either Sol Y Lomas or Quail Run. There had been money for a light several years ago, but the City determined to spend it elsewhere. With the new development being built just past Rodeo Road, traffic will only increase. The speed of vehicles tends to fall within the 60 mph range and not 45. This tragic accident was only a matter of time.
smcentre

Portales, NM

#16 Sep 19, 2009
City should have had traffic control into Quail Run while they were doing sewer work for adjacent affordable housing.......City was grossly negligent which should make their defense of sovereign immunity irrelevant......Deceased was in a Lexus SUV; not a small car as previously mentioned.....Coss ignored request of traffic control at the zoning hearing for affordable housing.....Cossw will leave soon and become the Chairman at Thornburg....
Zaida

AOL

#17 Sep 19, 2009
Phil Emanuelli wrote:
<quoted text>
Since when is a Lexus SUV a 'small car'?
We here in Santa Fe only read every 10th word, which is why most of the populace is completely clueless. However, it does not stop us from expressing uninformed outrage about nearly everything that happens in this town. Cars race up and down this stretch of Old Pecos Trail like it was a speedway. Anyone trying to get off or onto Old Pecos Trail does so at their own peril. The City needs to install multiple stop lights along this stretch, but it is too busy figuring out which 1500 city employees to lay off.
Sam

Las Vegas, NM

#18 Sep 19, 2009
photoman wrote:
<quoted text>A stop light should be in place. In the past ten years it has become increasingly difficult to make a left turn from either Sol Y Lomas or Quail Run. There had been money for a light several years ago, but the City determined to spend it elsewhere. With the new development being built just past Rodeo Road, traffic will only increase. The speed of vehicles tends to fall within the 60 mph range and not 45. This tragic accident was only a matter of time.
Yeah, that is what I am advocating for. Check it out, I do not even reside anywhere in this neighborhood but I use this primary corridor everyday to get to and from work at St. V's Hospital. And I also care about my fellow neigbbors on the road and hoping that I don't get rear ended or t-bone at these entrances and exits along OPT.
Take care and be safe.
No traffic lights

Belden, MS

#19 Sep 19, 2009
Sam wrote:
In terms of speed enforcement, the driver's who use this OPT corridor should know better, yet, they push thier foot on the petal and everyone who violates the speed limit deserve a good ticket. If you speed on this city road, the city should increase the speeding fines for this specific road and declare it as a "Safety Corridor" due to the residential areas located in the area. Nothing is going to change if the people of Santa Fe do not hold these governmental officials
accountable.
No more traffic lights! Make it a right turn only!!! Simple. What would YOU like next? Speed humps and circles? IF the City of SF HAS a traffic engineering department, you sire wouldn't know it!
Nuts for green chili

Santa Fe, NM

#20 Sep 19, 2009
How many times do we have to see this repeated to learn the lesson that small cars are death traps.

So we're ALL supposed to go out and buy gas guzzling trucks and SUV's. Forget about the cost of gas, how much of it we're wasting to drive to the supermarket, and the effects that this has on our planet, all because Americans want their big bigger and big. You are clueless and obviously believe that if you own a larger vehicle you are accident prone. That is not the case in case you haven't really heard.....what about rollovers??
I've had my small car now for ten years and I REFUSE to go out and buy something that everyone else has. I have no need for a truck or ridiculously large vehicle so why should I get one? Because I'm afraid of getting hit by others? Then I might as well stay home.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Santa Fe New Mexican Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Judge Ray Ortiz committed to improving S.F (Jan '09) 16 hr GEORGIA 9
Lawsuit against S.F. bicycle shop sees delays (May '09) Nov 4 Felicity 16
Otero County rejects spaceport tax (Nov '08) Nov 2 skidmark 19
Tiny Town's final days (Jul '09) Nov 1 donbga 3
'I'm glad it's over': Family, friends welcome c... (Oct '08) Oct '14 Your Family 31
Rodella eyes Rio Arriba sheriff's job (Apr '09) Sep '14 Darian Valdevia 30
Deadly exposure: Plutonium-related cancers plag... (Apr '09) Aug '14 Lynne Loss 10

People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE