Couple claim drunk security guard pul...

Couple claim drunk security guard pulled gun on them

There are 64 comments on the The Santa Fe New Mexican story from Sep 4, 2009, titled Couple claim drunk security guard pulled gun on them. In it, The Santa Fe New Mexican reports that:

A Santa Fe couple say in a lawsuit that an intoxicated security guard at their Airport Road mobile-home park threatened them with a gun.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Santa Fe New Mexican.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: Sep 08

La Madera, NM

#69 Sep 13, 2009
John Martinez wrote:
<quoted text>
I am siding with a sober person that wasn't a threat over a drunk guy with a gun that was more dangerous. My father was a police officer, and dealt with much more serious situations and didn't have to react like this alcoholic did. He is a rent a cop trying to bully a guy in his yard. A gun NEVER needs to be drawn because a guy is changing his oil. Next thing you know, swat will be called because I want to water my lawn. My resentment is about making a point that some people say he was paid to do everything he did, but I know better. He wasn't paid to carry a gun. He was a rent a cop, and he let it go to his head and tried to be the Terminator.
I would agree, but the man made an aggressive move, and there appears many relatives were around. Looks a bit more involved than a just an ego trip. It will all come out in court. Simple fact is the guard was enforcing the rules he was paid to do and the resident copped an attitude with a mob behind him. The guard gave him a break the first time.

The guard is not to supposed to enforce the rules because the resident feels they don't apply to him? The resident was the total cause of that incident, drinking guard or not.

Since: Nov 09

Corriganville, MD

#70 Nov 3, 2009
Abc123 wrote:
Whoa!!! Why is this company still in business?
In most places companies have to do something truly heinous in order for the state to close them down, and it has to be progressive and repeated (just like disciplining kids).

The officer had every right to react when the resident snatched the ticket book. If you don't beleive me, try snatching one from the next cop that pulls you over, and you'll find out. However, the level of response is a concern. The officer undoubtedly was concerned about the possibility of retailiation and escalation with all the family members around. Alcohol clearly played a role.

None of the housing areas that have HOAs in the Santa Fe/ABQ area allow things like the changing of oil. It is in the homeowner's rules and the HOA hires people to enforce and ticket. There are safety, environmental, and sanitary concerns from these types of activities, and they need to be done somewhere else. The residents knew this, and the officer was generous when he came back in 15 minutes. Me, I'd probably have waited 25, but that's me.

On the other hand, I've never gone out to do security work while drinking. You'd be surprised how many security,and yes, law enforcement, do. This officer should be treated like any other officer, within the bounds of the Americans with Disabilities Act. He needs to be given the chance to voluntarily go into treatment, and he should remain employed if he choses to get help. That's pretty much the law whether you're a cop, security, doctor, or convenience store worker. It's federal, it applies to all of us.

This company, however, needs to have its records checked. An audit needs to be done to see if anyone else employed there is incorrectly employed. Mr. Medrano needs to be warned that if he assaults someone employed by the HOA again, he will face sanctions.

Mr. Medrano is unlikely to recover much if anything, since New Mexico allows 'contributory liability'. If the plaintiff (medrano) contributes more than 50% to what happened, recovery is unlikely. Did Medrano have a liability for anything he contributed to the situation? Absolutely. He was breaking the rules, he ignored the officer's warning, and then he did an act that most officers would consider an assault (again, try it with a cop as an experiment, and see what happens). The officer pulled a gun, and was intoxicated.

Everyone involved was at fault, not just the officer.
rana

Chandigarh, India

#72 Mar 6, 2010
my work job
justice

United States

#73 Aug 13, 2010
You are all so ignorant. If this were even true why did it not surface when it supposedly happened. Why now? Why so long after the fact. Everyone just needs their 15 min. In the spotlight. Wow.
John Martinez wrote:
<quoted text>
I am siding with a sober person that wasn't a threat over a drunk guy with a gun that was more dangerous. My father was a police officer, and dealt with much more serious situations and didn't have to react like this alcoholic did. He is a rent a cop trying to bully a guy in his yard. A gun NEVER needs to be drawn because a guy is changing his oil. Next thing you know, swat will be called because I want to water my lawn. My resentment is about making a point that some people say he was paid to do everything he did, but I know better. He wasn't paid to carry a gun. He was a rent a cop, and he let it go to his head and tried to be the Terminator.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Santa Fe New Mexican Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Memory Lane - only for Real Santa Feans (Oct '08) Mar 18 Isidro1927 2,216
News Muslim group wants probe into New Mexico Quran ... Mar 16 kennedy_christian 1
News Report: ICE arrests five in Albuquerque Feb 27 lambert 12
News In deep hole, a chance for economic improvement Jan '17 rmeghan34 1
News Judge refuses to split charges in sex solicitat... (Sep '16) Sep '16 The Truth 1
News Home sweet home school (Dec '08) Sep '16 Mr Coach 8
News New jury system aims to ease burden of duty (Sep '09) Sep '16 Jeanne Scripps 5
More from around the web