Homeless stay tech-savvy

Homeless stay tech-savvy

There are 67 comments on the The Santa Fe New Mexican story from Oct 16, 2009, titled Homeless stay tech-savvy. In it, The Santa Fe New Mexican reports that:

Photo: Dano Goodreau, left, a homeless man in Santa Fe, hangs out with Joseff Bowler, center, and Mike Duncan, right, after using his laptop to check the weather and his facebook using the public library's network while sitting outside the library.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Santa Fe New Mexican.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
george

Lincoln, NE

#1 Oct 17, 2009
D.G. needs to establish an identity...
NO matter what it takes.....START FROM SCRATCH...if need be..... d.g. obviously worked at one time or another....i'd say at a minimumumum...solicite the help of the s.s admin folks....then get a I>D> based on that....[NOT a driver's license]
just something with a pix on it....possibly
seek the aid of those previous employers...

wherever they may be..........pass this on to MR D.G. pls

Since: Sep 08

Santa Fe

#3 Oct 17, 2009
Clean the mess wrote:
The vagrant situation is crazy downtown. They are aggressive and without shame, this city is filled with vagrants, illegal aliens and drunk locals...I wonder why anyone would come here on vacation!
What do you propose to do with people down and out? Look at the price of rents in this town, look at the job market. The underclass is growing through out the country. Would you prefer we put them in a camp out of town?

I know a some homeless people, I wouldn`t trust them, or invite them over the house. There is one I know who`s very stand up. He doesn`t do drugs, drink, or smoke, and he don`t beg. He`s kind of a computer geek, health nut. He sure could use a tarpaulin, not to mention work. Email me if you can help this guy out. I`ll give you his email addy.
Ambrovista1@yahoo.com

Many people are just a pay check away from homelessness. So walk lightly, and don`t be so proud. Pride is one of the seven deadly sins, you know.
Ridiculous

United States

#4 Oct 17, 2009
This is ridiculous. facebooking and twittering while homeless! Never give these guys handouts, never!
Doinky

United States

#5 Oct 17, 2009
You lose your ID you are in a world of hurt. No ID, no nothing....

it's easier to steal someone's identity than to get a new one if someone stole yours.

Santa Fe

#6 Oct 17, 2009
Ridiculous wrote:
This is ridiculous. facebooking and twittering while homeless! Never give these guys handouts, never!
Most jobs are found through networking on the internet.
ashamedofu

Lincoln, NE

#7 Oct 17, 2009
People are so judgemental. Careful people, what comes around goes around.
moi

Albuquerque, NM

#8 Oct 17, 2009
"....homeless by CHOICE...." says it all.....3 hots and a cot, free internet, good water....Santa Fe is widely known as a prime destination for the homeless
not an end

Santa Fe, NM

#9 Oct 17, 2009
Come on! Losing his ID is just some sort of excuse. Maybe he doesn't want to get an ID because he is a wanted man. Years ago I had a classmate who was mentally ill and became homeless. He carried no ID on purpose. He's keeping in touch with people. Worst case, he can hitchhike to his mom's in Baltimore and get an ID. This story is a bunch of nonsense.

“Ideologically opposed to art”

Since: Apr 09

Santa Fe

#10 Oct 17, 2009
Some homeless bum with an old computer gets prime real estate on the front page? Must be a slow news day! Isn't that picture sort of an invasion of privacy?

But seriously, 10 years ago you never saw all these homeless people panhandling on intersections. This is a social ill, reflecting the drastic division between rich and poor we now have. And many of us are only four steps from homelessness.
Arnold Shickelgruber

Santa Fe, NM

#12 Oct 17, 2009
Mr. Whats His Name HAS A PAST. And because he has a past he has an identification. He will need a photo ID, and a place of residence. Or he will need a letter from, let's say a shelter stating "in residence" to begin to (re) establish his identity. And, I might add, an identity that he might very well desire to remain obscure.

Mr. Whats His Name, sufficiently savvy to navigate the internet is well aware of the SCAMMING AND SKEEMING he's up to in garnering SYMPATHY while hiding in plain sight.

For instance: He stays in touch with this family.

For instance: He stays in touch with his friends.

For instance: He might actually have a SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER!!!

Yikes, a SS #.

So,(before you hump on my back for being so, oh so cold hearted) let this more likely than not sad case for a human pack up it tent condo and high tail his in arrears rear over to the local shelter!

Yikes, he's giving up his "FREEDOM." You see, and I've learned...homelessness is the ultimate condition of freedom within a state of nature.

Anyway, if Mr. W. H. Name becomes "in residence" at a shelter he can then haul his laptop and his rear end over to Motor Vehicles and apply for a Resident Photo ID Card. Of course, Mr. W.H. Name would than have to REVEAL HIS SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER. Or, heavens forbid...at the ripe old age of 50? get a SS#. The BUM already has a SS#. He's just hiding it.

The, his sorry excuse for breathing our air can GET A BIRTH CERTIFICATE.
He was born, wasn't he? He does know where he was born, doesn't he?

And, with his finely honed internet skills he will IMMEDIATELY learn the requirement for a birth certificate in his place of birth.

NO ADDRESS YOU SAY. Well, either use an "IN CARE OF" if the shelter allows that.

OR: use this... HIS NAME (whatever that is), GPO SANTA FE, NEW MEXICO 87595. Then when he knows the certificate is mailed out (use the internet to communicate) he will be able to walk his scamming rear over to the PO and retrieve his birth certificate.

Then He Will Have ID.

And, in the interest of saving the public a lot of money I will give this hiding in plain sight guy not a single bit more of information.

you might think this harsh but i've just enabled this sleazebag to get legitimate with IDENTIFICATION which is more than the other comments
have offered.

ASK YOURSELF WHY HE IS INCOGNITO?

In addition, he ain't starving. There's a huge resource of food kitchen available in Santa Fe. And they serve wholesome and abundant food.

Or, as an alternative, stop saying "HELL0" to bums.

have a nice day :)
Dano

Santa Fe, NM

#14 Oct 17, 2009
Well reading some of this i have to shake my head....It is for sure you have no clues in some ways in what you are tlaking about...COme walk in my shoes and see if you have the same views then but I still send blessings of smiles to you...
WIll I defend my situation?? nope it is what it is and I will continue to deal with it and make life better...
until then i will keep smiling..
your right

Albuquerque, NM

#16 Oct 17, 2009
Ambro wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you propose to do with people down and out? Look at the price of rents in this town, look at the job market. The underclass is growing through out the country. Would you prefer we put them in a camp out of town?
I know a some homeless people, I wouldn`t trust them, or invite them over the house. There is one I know who`s very stand up. He doesn`t do drugs, drink, or smoke, and he don`t beg. He`s kind of a computer geek, health nut. He sure could use a tarpaulin, not to mention work. Email me if you can help this guy out. I`ll give you his email addy.
Ambrovista1@yahoo.com
Many people are just a pay check away from homelessness. So walk lightly, and don`t be so proud. Pride is one of the seven deadly sins, you know.
good points. And we should all recognize that even if we lived in a perfect world with plenty for everyone, there would still be homeless. I am not sure why this mayor feels it is his responsibility to invite them from all over the country. He certainly is not going to be successful in his campaign promise to end homelessness in five years. In fact when he leaves office next year, the problem will be worse than when he made that proclamation. What HAS coss done to address the homeless issue? But hey, at least they have the internet! And they can thank coss for that.

“Ideologically opposed to art”

Since: Apr 09

Santa Fe

#18 Oct 17, 2009
moi wrote:
Santa Fe is widely known as a prime destination for the homeless
Not true. there are WAY more homeless in other places, like Denver for example. Many more scruffy panhandlers, and more demanding too.
In the last 15 years the police have gone a long ways getting rid of homeless people, and those sleeping in cars. Why do you think the jail is halfway to Madrid? So they can toss you out at 1 in the morning in the middle of nowhere freezing your @ss off. Now THAT's Santa Fe hospitality!
Arnold Shickelgruber

Santa Fe, NM

#19 Oct 17, 2009
someone wrote: "Why do you think the jail is halfway to Madrid? So they can toss you out at 1 in the morning in the middle of nowhere freezing your @ss off. Now THAT's Santa Fe hospitality!"

Nope...It's called FREEDOM. Really.

Unfortunately, and that is very unfortunately...the current "economoic" climate is not conducive to employment.

"Get Real"...very few should sit so high and secure as to ignore the real possiblity and fact that those who worked in "good faith," were laid off,
have remote possibility of reemployment, have lost medical insurance, home, family are guilty of irresponsibility. Being poor IS NOT A CRIME.
It is a tragic condition but not a criminal act.

And it can happen to many of us is we just slip a little bit and fall hard.

The real CRIMINAL is the individual(s) who precipitated the current crisis. The 2.5 billion a week spent on Iraq, the bundling of mortgages and selling them on the open market as a "financial product," NAFTA.

This bunch knew exactly what it was doing and what it would do.

It seeped into the culture incrementally as so not to notice. Not by the boxcar full but one by one. Given time we have arrived at the current station.

It ain't no accident. Not by any means is this situation and confluence of events an accident or a coincidence.

Anyone who proposes otherwise is not telling the truth or an ignorant.
That's putting it nicely.
homeless

Santa Fe, NM

#20 Oct 17, 2009
Seems that the New Mexican needs to investigate the increasing dangers of the growing homeless population in Santa Fe. Santa Fe is developing a national reputation for a "hands off policy" our police are forced to maintain even when homeless exhibit bad behavior. As a result homeless are coming into Santa Fe from around the country. Our community has set up a sort of sanctuary status for homeless that is beginning to backfire as we all watch with horror at the explosion of crime in our community.

St. E's now has hundreds of homeless sitting around outside their building and wandering through the surrounding neighborhood and railyard park. Soon we will be reading about a student at Alvord Elementary, a tourist at the railyard park, a teen from warehouse 21... who lost their life from someone in the homeless population who was drunk, using drugs...

Coss's program to end homelessness in 5 years has really turned into a miserable failure for our community.

Location hidden

#21 Oct 17, 2009
^^^duplicate post
DriveByPoster

Florence, AL

#24 Oct 17, 2009
actually.. while sitting on the sidewalk while on the public library network.. he's probably logged onto charles schwab and checking his stocks! or ordering a new lexus...
Teresa Romero

Santa Fe, NM

#25 Oct 17, 2009
HEY, I know a homeless guy who has so much unbelievable creative potential for Santa Fe and the world and could make you rich .. sounds unlikely?.. well then take in the below and you'll become quickly enlightened .. he came here to create a national/global food & restaurant brand of Starbucks and Krispy Kreme potential called Ancient Grains Baking Company (tm)/ Legendary Brands (tm) and ended up on the streets .. he's honest and hard-working and has a great appearance .. maybe he can only be faulted for spending all his hard-earned labor money at Whole Foods .. he has great physical and mental constitution or he'd be dead by now .. he's gone through so much here .. he's not a felon and great great credentials and references .. read and be impressed .. anyone interested in what he has to offer can email me at santafeconsultant@yahoo.com or Richard Dean Jacob at ancientgrainsbrand@yahoo.com.
Major Food Branding Concepts / Visionary Projects
creating a plethora of trailblazing brands and products
Our Goal: To become the most creative, savviest, and successful niche retailer of health and eco-oriented food and beverage brands in the world.
LEGENDARY BRANDS (tm):
Ancient Grains Baking Co.(tm).. food, pizza & baked products / eateries
Ancient Grains Brewing Co.(tm).. craft beers made from ancient grains
Glacier Pass (tm).. icecream, yogurt, sportsdrinks sweetened with Xylitol
NeanderJuice (tm).. life-energized bottled juices
Primordica (tm).. healthy coffee & tea
Raw Spirit (tm).. packaged gourmet raw food meals
MEDIA RELEASE
SANTA FE, NM -- According to brandchannel.com -- an online global exchange about branding including profiles on the successes and failures of brands -- "Communities, cities, states, and provinces compete in the world of just about everything, including that of being a successful travel destination. It's the fuel that keeps them going and going." "For decades this practice has existed but more recently," they further, "it's become business vogue ... and a powerful economic advantage."
The website of Anholt City Brands Index -- an advisor to governments, ministries, and civil services on branding aspects including public diplomacy, economic development, and tourism promotion -- says that "Yes, cities have always been brands in the truest sense of the word. Paris is romance, Milan is style, and New York is energy." "These are the brands of cities," they say, "and are inextricably tied to the histories and destinies of these places."
The very concept of "Santa Fe style" is widely acknowledged as being invented in 1912 by city leaders anxious to attract tourists and the money they would bring with them. But more than skin deep ornamentation the authenticness and essence of Santa Fe and the region of New Mexico, as we all know, has everything to do with the richness of our tri-cultural history and the natural beauty that has attracted such artistic luminaries as Georgia O'Keeffe.
It is this essense and authenticness that also brought Richard Dean Jacob from the flour milling center of Minneapolis, Minnesota (also one of the nation's top cities for advertising agencies) to Santa Fe, New Mexico to create a brand of Starbucks potential called Ancient Grains Baking Company. With his usual off-the-cuff spontaneity he remarks that he came here to Santa Fe to establish a company and brand with more authenticness than a box of Wheat Thins from East Hanover, New Jersey. And, as well, to give Santa Fe another way to promote itself to the world.
Flanked by books and magazines on branding and marketing
Ever
Daniel

Santa Fe, NM

#26 Oct 17, 2009
would someone tell me how to get to my stocks and also darn let someone use my Lexus and I can't remember who...

For those that think that all the homeless are drug addict and drunks really need a wake up call...

Sure there are alot that are that and now i wonder if some of them may have just given up.Not right but it happens and can understand almost why.

Me, well i only drink socially and that is very often, I do not do drugs. I do not Beg or fly a sign or bother people.

Do I like the present situation???? NOT AT ALL!! but i make the best of it and I know that each step I take each day is a good one.
Most do not know how i got here but if any really wish to know all they have to do is come ask.

As far as HIDINg as it haws been suggested.\...lol...well it loks like I am really hiding from something and of course the local law enforcement has done their job and check to see if i was one of those wanted people.

Anyway sending blessing of smiles to all
peekaboo

Santa Fe, NM

#27 Oct 17, 2009
I'm sitting inside the library on my laptop looking out the window at you. Watch those insider stock picks. Remember where Bernie ended up.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Santa Fe New Mexican Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News PRC asked to end fee charged to Eastern New Mex... 22 hr Solarman 1
News Weeping' Virgin Mary statue in Hobbs under inve... Tue Eyeroll 11
News Members of Congress free to work on boards of c... Aug 13 Lawrence Wolf 21
News Libertarian Party courts Gary Johnson for Senat... Aug 8 Called Out 6
News Prosecutors: Detective falsely reported child r... Aug 6 Boogles75 2
News Trump threatens government shut down over borde... Aug 2 Annie Oakly 14
News Federal judge finds Albuquerque vehicle forfeit... Jul 31 blunttruth 1