Stain or saint? Images catch Las Tram...

Stain or saint? Images catch Las Trampas residents by surprise

There are 101 comments on the The Santa Fe New Mexican story from Sep 22, 2009, titled Stain or saint? Images catch Las Trampas residents by surprise. In it, The Santa Fe New Mexican reports that:

Alfredo T. Romero was surprised to see the image of the Virgin of Guadalupe on the wall of his ancestral home in Las Trampas.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Santa Fe New Mexican.

What a hoot

Santa Fe, NM

#22 Sep 23, 2009
LOL!!! "tortilla Jesus stories" Good one. Need to add the "tortilla Virgin stories"
La Llorona wrote:
You have got to be joking! Rain water flows from the stove pipe and drips down onto the wall. The stain is caused from the soot inside the pipe and leaks out at the 90 degree connection. Almost looks as if someone peed on the wall. Enough of these tortilla Jesus stories. Write about how these communities can create community, its leaders, or its children.

Since: Sep 09

Powhatan Point, OH

#23 Sep 23, 2009
well it sure does look like a case of deferred maintenance.

“Liberal Patriot”

Since: Sep 08

Rio Linda, CA

#24 Sep 23, 2009
What a nut. WHAT A NUT
Sabine 87501

Albuquerque, NM

#25 Sep 23, 2009
Perhaps from a better angle that water stain looks slightly *more* like the general shape of "Our Lady". Odd that we were only given that one photo of it. But the perhaps with a better photo it *doesn't* look any more like "Our Lady".

Las Vegas, NM

#26 Sep 23, 2009
rivers2bx wrote:
It's definitely a sign--whether you believe it's a divine apparition, or a water stain, the message is clear--stop with the deferred maintenance already and clean up your beautiful but rundown property......
Mrs. D: I concur. Maybe she'll appear on more of the other countless, historic, old structures in NM in danger of demolition by neglect.
Nancy R in KC

Kansas City, MO

#27 Sep 23, 2009
Jim Terr wrote:
I wish more people were aware of the phenomenon of pareidolia (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareidolia - especially the sample images) Nothing "anti-faith" here, just information we should all bring to these experiences, since it's a universal and understandable (and fascinating) thing.
Ah, a voice of rationalism crying in a wilderness of superstitious hogwash. I've always wondered what it is that people need so badly that they try to assign meaning to accidental imagery. Thanks for an interesting post...there's a Chinese saying that to understand a thing, you must first know its name.

And kudos to everyone who's posting funnies...rationalism expressed in wit. I lo-o-ve the one about checking Google Earth!

Santa Fe

#28 Sep 23, 2009
Dandapanda wrote:
<quoted text>HEY HAPPY BIRTHDAY! How old are you anyway?
Who be you? E-mail me. 54
Gandalf

Santa Fe, NM

#29 Sep 23, 2009
My pancakes this morning has the images of Jesus, Mary and Joseph. I ate them anyhow.

They were less fattening than the regular pancakes with more fiber.

Santa Fe

#30 Sep 23, 2009
The Yankees gave me a good B-Day present today.
Minerva McGonagle

Silver City, NM

#31 Sep 23, 2009
Did you hear about the British atheist who saw an image of the Big Bang on his toast?

“Jimmy Tha Most”

Sangre De Cristos

#32 Sep 23, 2009
These same stories pop up every year about this time... One question, however. How the heck are you supposed to sell a wall on eBay?
Nancy R in KC

Kansas City, MO

#33 Sep 23, 2009
Gandalf wrote:
My pancakes this morning has the images of Jesus, Mary and Joseph. I ate them anyhow.
They were less fattening than the regular pancakes with more fiber.
Would your holy pancake recipe work just as well (without adjustments) down here at 600 ft as it does out there? That would sanctify it for me!

Location hidden

#34 Sep 23, 2009
I can see the image of Our Lady of Guadalupe and the face of the man's father, too.

Monterey, CA

#35 Sep 23, 2009
Look at the second story and there appears to be a face on the stucco. Click on the click more photos tab and compare the photos of the gentlemen. Looks like an image to me, but I guess I have a good imagination. This wouldn't surprise me one bit since Las Trampas is one of the oldest churches in NM dating back to the 1760's.
vanguard

Monterey, CA

#36 Sep 23, 2009
Sabine 87501 wrote:
Perhaps from a better angle that water stain looks slightly *more* like the general shape of "Our Lady". Odd that we were only given that one photo of it. But the perhaps with a better photo it *doesn't* look any more like "Our Lady".
Click on the view more photos tab and look at the second story of the building.
Ann

Albuquerque, NM

#37 Sep 23, 2009
AS it is a spiritual experience to those that have actually gone to the property.You idiots that don't believe should keep your comments to yourself or get off your duff and take a ride out there and take a look. As for the person that made the comment about **** on the the wall,well only a pea brain would actually make such an immature comment.Never believe anything you hear and only half of what you see.Again drive out there and look for yourself.Then you come back home and give your opininion(s).IF you aren't content with what you see at least you will the experience of a great ride and view.Some nice clean fresh mountain.Maybe it will clear some pollution out of some you ill mannered in town people.
Nancy R in KC

Kansas City, MO

#38 Sep 23, 2009
[QUOTE who=" **** "]Look at the second story and there appears to be a face on the stucco. Click on the click more photos tab and compare the photos of the gentlemen. Looks like an image to me, but I guess I have a good imagination. This wouldn't surprise me one bit since Las Trampas is one of the oldest churches in NM dating back to the 1760's.[/QUOTE]

Oh...are older churches more likely to have "images" appear in the neighborhood than newer churches are?

Please note that the water stains are on a nearby house, not on the church.
old lady in Santa Fe

Santa Fe, NM

#39 Sep 23, 2009
Why does it bother you people so much when
this type of thing happens? You should learn
to respect the beliefs of others. Anyway, does
anyone really care what you think?
chatterbox87501

Los Alamos, NM

#40 Sep 23, 2009
Ambro wrote:
The Yankees gave me a good B-Day present today.
'bro, how old are you, in Earth years that is?

hey, Happy Birthday!

Monterey, CA

#41 Sep 23, 2009
Nancy R in KC wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh...are older churches more likely to have "images" appear in the neighborhood than newer churches are?
Please note that the water stains are on a nearby house, not on the church.
Wow good observation! I guess only faith can answer your first question.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Santa Fe New Mexican Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Report: ICE arrests five in Albuquerque 16 hr Yeah 15
News In deep hole, a chance for economic improvement Jan '17 rmeghan34 1
Memory Lane - only for Real Santa Feans (Oct '08) Dec '16 David K 2,214
News Judge refuses to split charges in sex solicitat... Sep '16 The Truth 1
News Home sweet home school (Dec '08) Sep '16 Mr Coach 8
News New jury system aims to ease burden of duty (Sep '09) Sep '16 Jeanne Scripps 5
News Echoes of the past still haunt Pojoaque's Line ... (Jun '09) Aug '16 Char 42
More from around the web