BREAKING NEWS: San Carlos man pleads ...

BREAKING NEWS: San Carlos man pleads no contest to molestation

There are 27 comments on the San Mateo Daily News story from Jun 20, 2007, titled BREAKING NEWS: San Carlos man pleads no contest to molestation . In it, San Mateo Daily News reports that:

A 49-year-old San Carlos man could face up to six years in prison after agreeing to plead no contest today in San Mateo County Superior Court to charges he molested two young girls, reportedly friends of his ...
A 49-year-old San Carlos man could face up to six years in prison after agreeing to plead no contest today in San Mateo County Superior Court to charges he molested two young girls, reportedly friends of his daughter. <br/> <br/>James Casserly was found guilty this morning by Judge John Grandsaert of two counts of lewd acts on a child under age 14, one alleging digital penetration of one victim and the other lewd touching of the body of the second victim. <br/> <br/>Other charges and special allegations that could have brought a sentence of up to life in prison were dismissed under the terms of the plea deal. <br/> <br/>According to the San Mateo County District Attorney's Office, Casserly molested two of his daughter's friends, who were between the ages of 10 and 12, on separate occasions when they stayed overnight at his home between 2004 and 2005. <br/> <br/>Casserly was arrested at his home on Aug. 23, a few days after the two girls told their parents about the acts, according to San Carlos police. <br/> <br/>He was released from jail a day later on $200,000 bail and remains out of custody. <br/> <br/>Though the terms of the prosecution's plea agreement indicate a six-year maximum sentence, Casserly technically could face up to 10 years in prison under the judge's discretion, according to San Mateo County Chief Deputy District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe. <br/> <br/>Casserly is scheduled to be sentenced by Judge James Ellis on Oct. 5 at 8:30 a.m. <br/> <br/> <br/> <br/>
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Faux

Vallejo, CA

#1 Oct 13, 2007
Why is there no follow up on this story from any newspapers?

He was supposed to be sentenced Friday, October 5th and no one has reported the outcome...
Michael G Stogner

Palo Alto, CA

#2 Oct 15, 2007
October 5, 2007
James Casserly the defendant was granted a continuance of sentencing.

The next court date is October 19, 2007 8:30 AM
Department 12 Hon. Judge H. J. Ellis
Michael Stogner

Vallejo, CA

#3 Oct 19, 2007
James Casserly was sentenced today to six years in prison.

Hon Judge H. J. Ellis made a point of telling everyone in the courtroom that all the allegations that the 2 victims reported did in fact happen. They are heros for reporting this.

Best of luck to the victims and their families.

Since: Mar 07

United States

#4 Oct 19, 2007
Thank you.
anonymous

Santa Rosa, CA

#5 Oct 19, 2007
Thanks
Another view

United States

#6 Oct 20, 2007
Jim made a horrible and ugly mistake and is being
punished. However, I respect him for owning up
and not denying it. Furthermore, he has been
an active of member of AA and sought out special
counseling therapy after hitting his bottom at last. Why he went in that direction while drinking alcoholically we'll never know. But anyone that has loved or been close to an active alcoholic knows that it breaks down their morals
and it destroys lives, relationships. The news
is full of stories of people that have perpetrated
crimes while under the influence of chemicals.

I am not in any way condoning or minimizing what
he did to the children. My heart goes out to all that have been impacted by this. His wife, his 3 children, his friends, his brother, the 2 girls & their families, and even Jim. I hope with time, therapy, prayer, and the grace of God that all involved with feel peace and healing.
Ralph

San Mateo, CA

#7 Oct 20, 2007
"Another View" of Phoenix, a well known alcoholic himself, has been most gracious in his message. Another View, in his last session at AA was able to open up about his fling with a sheep while he was still drinking. Such bravery, such honor, such wool.

Another View has been able to turn his life around. Having met maybe the most wonderful woman in the World, his wife, he has found the strength to continue on. Originally attracted to her by her sweater, he soon learned to accept her guideance and love. This changed him from a drunken sheep-loving creep to a simple pedophile. We honor him today.
fin

San Carlos, CA

#8 Oct 20, 2007
Another view wrote:
Jim made a horrible and ugly mistake and is being
punished. However, I respect him for owning up
and not denying it. Furthermore, he has been
an active of member of AA and sought out special
counseling therapy after hitting his bottom at last. Why he went in that direction while drinking alcoholically we'll never know. But anyone that has loved or been close to an active alcoholic knows that it breaks down their morals
and it destroys lives, relationships. The news
is full of stories of people that have perpetrated
crimes while under the influence of chemicals.
I am not in any way condoning or minimizing what
he did to the children. My heart goes out to all that have been impacted by this. His wife, his 3 children, his friends, his brother, the 2 girls & their families, and even Jim. I hope with time, therapy, prayer, and the grace of God that all involved with feel peace and healing.
A "mistake" is not molesting children. That is an intentional, sick, perverted act, blaming it on alcohol, addiction or whatever you want to call it is an easy way out. Ya think he would have voluntarily confessed what happened if these girls didn't come forward. He got busted, that's why he didn't deny it.. The word "respect" and this man should never be in the same sentance.I'm glad this loser if off the streets, his wife and kids are better of without him, wheter they know it or not...
Point of view

United States

#9 Oct 21, 2007
I think it's swell that Mr Casserly is finally getting help. He's known he was a pedophile and paraphile for a long time, what business did he have, ever having children in the first place, let alone combining alcohol with children's sleepovers? As for the nobility of speaking up in court, he has steadfastly denied any wrong doing to his friends, right up to the end, causing serious divisions in the community and no end of trouble for the girls involved. Alcohol abuse is not just his problem in this circle of friends, it may be the root of why this wasn't caught and dealt with less disastrously perhaps years ago.
shame on me

United States

#10 Oct 21, 2007
Because I spent the better part of a year believing that he had been falsely accused.
"Another View", how do you respect someone for "owning up and not denying it" when it took him over a year to do so? He lied to all of us about this. He told us that these girls were liars. He said he had an "alcohol problem".
Ask the DA, it was his LEGAL taped confession to one of the girls parents that made it impossible to escape his spineless acts. Funny how indesputible evidence has a way of making even cowards courageous.
I have many people to apologize to.
anonymous

Santa Rosa, CA

#11 Oct 21, 2007
I thank all of you for your comments. I am the mother of one of the victims. What sickens me most is that he chose to drink, he chose to look at child porn on his computer, he chose to have my daughter (his daughters best friend) sleep at his house, and he chose to act on his addictions on my baby girl. Did she have a choice - NO. Hopefully because she has a stong personality, smart, and great family & friends she will be able to lead a normal life (with I'm sure a few bumps in the road). The only positive thing that came out of this (I try to find in every situation), is that she will be able to use this experience later in life to come out on top.
Thanks again for all the ones who have positive comments.
not_necessary

Sacramento, CA

#12 Oct 21, 2007
Ralph wrote:
"Another View" of Phoenix, a well known alcoholic himself, has been most gracious in his message. Another View, in his last session at AA was able to open up about his fling with a sheep while he was still drinking. Such bravery, such honor, such wool.
Another View has been able to turn his life around. Having met maybe the most wonderful woman in the World, his wife, he has found the strength to continue on. Originally attracted to her by her sweater, he soon learned to accept her guideance and love. This changed him from a drunken sheep-loving creep to a simple pedophile. We honor him today.
Keep your cruel comments regarding AA out of these blogs. Are you one of those people that slowly drive by horrific accidents to view the carnage? I would guess you don't know anyone of these people involved or even care about any of the victims or families. Karma is a funny thing... perhaps can experience some of your own by attacking millions of people who battle alcohol and addictions. Jackass.
hear_you

Sacramento, CA

#13 Oct 21, 2007
anonymous wrote:
I thank all of you for your comments. I am the mother of one of the victims. What sickens me most is that he chose to drink, he chose to look at child porn on his computer, he chose to have my daughter (his daughters best friend) sleep at his house, and he chose to act on his addictions on my baby girl. Did she have a choice - NO. Hopefully because she has a stong personality, smart, and great family & friends she will be able to lead a normal life (with I'm sure a few bumps in the road). The only positive thing that came out of this (I try to find in every situation), is that she will be able to use this experience later in life to come out on top.
Thanks again for all the ones who have positive comments.
I very much hope that your families and daughters will heal from this horrible nightmare. I was in the court room this past Friday and I am a relation to the defendant. I hope that the friends and families that became divided over this can also heal and as much as possible put this behind them. I have tried to come to some understanding about why people do what they do and how and why this could happen?(even people you think you really know). The how and why don't really matter anymore... It has never been about us versus them during the year that this took to come to a close legally. I am a parent as well I applaud your view as that will enhance the healing process for everyone involved.
Anonymous

Frisco, TX

#14 Oct 21, 2007
anonymous wrote:
I thank all of you for your comments. I am the mother of one of the victims. What sickens me most is that he chose to drink, he chose to look at child porn on his computer, he chose to have my daughter (his daughters best friend) sleep at his house, and he chose to act on his addictions on my baby girl. Did she have a choice - NO. Hopefully because she has a stong personality, smart, and great family & friends she will be able to lead a normal life (with I'm sure a few bumps in the road). The only positive thing that came out of this (I try to find in every situation), is that she will be able to use this experience later in life to come out on top.
Thanks again for all the ones who have positive comments.
Dear Victim's Mother - My thoughts are with you and your daughter. I cannot imagine what this situation has been like for your family. As a SCCLC community member, I have done my best to protect your daughter's privacy -- I have not asked who the victims are and stayed away from those gossiping about who they might be. Please do not take my silence as a lack of support. It is out of caring for all of those involved.

It is important to teach our children to speak when they are being harmed/abused. Kudos to you for raising a strong daughter who had the courage to tell what had happened to her.
shame on me

United States

#15 Oct 23, 2007
I'm still thinking about this and will be for a very long time.
Why did I choose to believe him over these girls?
Why did I do that? I should have known better.
His manipulation was very far reaching. Certainly many of us were fooled and sucked into his lies.
This troubles me and it is hard to face.

Peace to all
Michael G Stogner

Palo Alto, CA

#16 Oct 24, 2007
shame on me wrote:
I'm still thinking about this and will be for a very long time.
Why did I choose to believe him over these girls?
Why did I do that? I should have known better.
His manipulation was very far reaching. Certainly many of us were fooled and sucked into his lies.
This troubles me and it is hard to face.
Peace to all
Shame, You are doing the right thing, you are thinking and talking/typing about this. You were lied to. that is why. This man only told the truth after these brave children and their families forced it out of him.

Just remember Hon. Judge James Ellis said. Every allegation that the victims made...did in fact happen. The media never mentioned the Child Pornography he claims he was addicted to.

6 years is not much for this crime, but I thank Judge Ellis for giving the max. and I thank DDA Melissa McKowen for her work, also thanks to San Carlos Police Department.

Since: Mar 07

San Leandro, CA

#17 Oct 25, 2007
Shame on me? Yeah shame on you...how pathetic that the community was "torn" over this. It was one thing to stand behind Jim whether right or wrong because you cared about him but it is another to chose a "side". One can only hope that you are not a parent, or for that matter people like you. I would hate for your child to come to you with something this substantial and wonder whether or not you believed them.

Time doen't heal all wounds but it does let one distance themselves from them/it...I hope the best for these girls and their future.
Rose

San Francisco, CA

#18 May 16, 2008
fin wrote:
<quoted text> A "mistake" is not molesting children. That is an intentional, sick, perverted act, blaming it on alcohol, addiction or whatever you want to call it is an easy way out. Ya think he would have voluntarily confessed what happened if these girls didn't come forward. He got busted, that's why he didn't deny it.. The word "respect" and this man should never be in the same sentance.I'm glad this loser if off the streets, his wife and kids are better of without him, wheter they know it or not...
you have no idea what this man as been through and therefore cannot judge him. You obviously have no idea what alcohol can do to a person and how dare you even think to say that his family is better off without him, You obviously don't know Jim. And it sickens me that you would sink so low as to refer to him as a "loser"... You shouldn't judge a person by the mistakes that they make, even it was wrong...you don't know him. You have no idea that it is self-aborsb righteous people like can affect his family, I think that you've made your point and I hope your happy. You don't know what happened, you weren't there. I respect what your intentions were but you couldn't possibly understand what this family has been through, and people like you do nothing to help the situation.
Anonymous

San Jose, CA

#19 Oct 6, 2008
Shame on you, Shame on all of you.
My dads an amazing man and for 15 years of my life has been there for me. Do you want to know whatís really perverted and sick? The fact that you low lives have NOTHING better to do than snoop around people's business and write about which side youíre on. Want to know a fun fact, NO ONE ASKED FOR YOUR OPINION, nor does any one care AT ALL what your dumb opinion is. I bet you are sitting at home with ALL your family searching the internet looking for something to busy yourself with. Oh hey look at this article its pretty interesting I feel as though I need to give my two cents. Hey guess what I can bet you never knew the ďBADGUYSĒ daughter can see EVERYTHING you wrote. I can apparently judge from you guys because you guys are so quick to judge my dad that this has NOTHINGGG to do with you in anyway. Aw boohoo this is awful... yea it SUCKS but coming from me Iím allowed to say it sucks, coming from the victims family I love them, and will ALWAYS love them and I am so sorry this happened.. They are allowed to say it sucks but hey you random people who donít even know ANYONE of my family or the victimís family WHO ARE YOU?! You donít matter. And I hope your very satisfied you put your public opinion on the table because I sure hope you all read this in sorrow and regret because of people like you I realize how nasty the world is around me. This is nothing personal I hope that after I send this the madness will stop with the personal attacks, calling someone a loser in ANY case is not okay. I may not be mature, I may not have wisdom, but what I do have is love and innocence. It is love and innocence that gets me through the day and helps me to realize people do make mistakes, and as long as we donít hinder in our past and move forward there is no real need for hate. If anyone wants to say anything feel free to response back, positive thank you in advance, negative please humor me, I think what Iíve been through I can take it.
Miguel J Sanchez

Oakland, CA

#20 Oct 7, 2008
Anonymous wrote:
Shame on you, Shame on all of you.
My dads an amazing man and for 15 years of my life has been there for me. Do you want to know whatís really perverted and sick? The fact that you low lives have NOTHING better to do than snoop around people's business and write about which side youíre on. Want to know a fun fact, NO ONE ASKED FOR YOUR OPINION, nor does any one care AT ALL what your dumb opinion is. I bet you are sitting at home with ALL your family searching the internet looking for something to busy yourself with. Oh hey look at this article its pretty interesting I feel as though I need to give my two cents. Hey guess what I can bet you never knew the ďBADGUYSĒ daughter can see EVERYTHING you wrote. I can apparently judge from you guys because you guys are so quick to judge my dad that this has NOTHINGGG to do with you in anyway. Aw boohoo this is awful... yea it SUCKS but coming from me Iím allowed to say it sucks, coming from the victims family I love them, and will ALWAYS love them and I am so sorry this happened.. They are allowed to say it sucks but hey you random people who donít even know ANYONE of my family or the victimís family WHO ARE YOU?! You donít matter. And I hope your very satisfied you put your public opinion on the table because I sure hope you all read this in sorrow and regret because of people like you I realize how nasty the world is around me. This is nothing personal I hope that after I send this the madness will stop with the personal attacks, calling someone a loser in ANY case is not okay. I may not be mature, I may not have wisdom, but what I do have is love and innocence. It is love and innocence that gets me through the day and helps me to realize people do make mistakes, and as long as we donít hinder in our past and move forward there is no real need for hate. If anyone wants to say anything feel free to response back, positive thank you in advance, negative please humor me, I think what Iíve been through I can take it.
Funny, reads like your comments are about you.....LOL

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

San Mateo Daily News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Crazy Rant By Daly City Council Candidate (Aug '08) May '17 Holy Angels 1976 24
Best High School Basketball Shooter in History ... (Dec '07) May '17 Holy Angels 1976 23
News Chasing the ambulance contract (Oct '08) Jun '16 bill davis 2
News Homeowner beware: Filing your property tax exem... (Dec '07) Sep '15 Eunuce 117
News Murder suspect dies after chase (May '08) Apr '15 Remembering matt 13
News BREAKING NEWS: Joseph Morrow pleads no contest ... (Oct '07) Jan '15 cousin 10
News Themes of 'Grey Gardens' not so back and white (Sep '08) Jul '14 CMM 3
More from around the web