Six teens arrested in graffiti bust

Six teens arrested in graffiti bust

There are 63 comments on the Redwood City Daily News story from Mar 13, 2007, titled Six teens arrested in graffiti bust. In it, Redwood City Daily News reports that:

Six teens have been arrested in connection with a rash of graffiti activity in San Carlos in the past week that caused tens of thousands of dollars in damage, the police said.
Six teens have been arrested in connection with a rash of graffiti activity in San Carlos in the past week that caused tens of thousands of dollars in damage, the police said. <br/> <br/>The group of five adults and one juvenile were taken into custody at around 10:30 p.m. Saturday when a San Carlos police detective noticed the group spray-painting the wall of a building along the 1700 block of Industrial Road, according to a police press release. <br/> <br/>All six members of the group admitted their involvement and pointed out their individual tags, the police said. The most prominently displayed tags include "oxin," "fiend," "grind," "endvr," "bonsai" and "reaper." <br/> <br/>Officers had stepped up surveillance efforts after noticing a dramatic increase in vandalism over the past week in the city's industrial area and city parks, said Sgt. Rich Dickerson. He said initial estimates put the damage at between $20,000 and $50,000. <br/> <br/>"We're talking about the entire backs of buildings that need to be repainted, entire alleyways," Dickerson said. Vandalism damage of more than $400 is considered a felony offense and can carry up to three years in prison. <br/> <br/>The group was a "tagger crew" that leaves identifying marks to distinguish themselves, Dickerson said, adding that the tags were not believed to be gang-related. <br/> <br/>The five adult suspects were booked into San Mateo County jail on seven counts of vandalism and were being held Monday on $70,000 bail. They are Christopher Palomarez, 19, of San Carlos; and Redwood City residents Jonathan Slocum, Timothy McAdams, Ashley Jahns and Joseph Squillacioti, all 18 years old. <br/> <br/>A sixth suspect, a 16-year-old, was booked into San Mateo County Juvenile Hall. <br/> <br/>The District Attorney's Office has held off on filing charges in the case because the charges could depend on how much damage each suspect did, said Chief Deputy District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe. <br/> <br/>Wagstaffe said the district attorney's office has asked police for more specific information about individual damage estimates, and said the filing deadline for charges in the case is today. <br/> <br/> <br/>E-mail Shaun Bishop at [email protected]
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
ashley parnell

United States

#1 Mar 13, 2007
this is sad that these kids are going to pay for this for a LONG time i know the 16 yr old (he is my cousin and he is actually 17) He goes to skate church and has NEVER done a drug or smoked a cigarette in his LIFE and he is soo scared. Please EVERYONE just remember that ALL kids make mistakes (they are kids at 18) some mistakes have much worse consequences than this so try to be understanding.
sal

Palo Alto, CA

#2 Mar 13, 2007
Take a look at this article located in this newpaper.
It has to do with graftiti also.
Stanford marching band exonerated
kjp

United States

#3 Mar 14, 2007
feel sorry for him come on.he did what he did and he knew it was wrong.all of them need to pay and do time. but will they? if we were able to dig back into their backgrounds im sure this would not be the first time any of them have been caught doing something illegal and nothing has happened to them
Chris

Atherton, CA

#4 Mar 14, 2007
i know that kid and he is a dumbass not with tagging but i mean in life he doesnt respect anyone he steals from friends and wouldnt back up anyone if it didnt mean he would get something in return...

i'm no saint..i kno...i dont believe there is such a thing as a selfless act but the least you can do is respect the ones that treat you with respect..

i'm not saying daniel deserves the punishment just the same as i dont think any of these guys do, i'm just saying atleast something came back and bit him in the ass, he is a weasel who would steal from, or betray you, without any guilt.
Jesus

United States

#5 Mar 15, 2007
I know this kid chris he goes to a highschool in redwood city, he too has done vandalism in many accounts and continues to do them he is also a thief and society should procecute such people as chris and the rest of the law breaking 'cool guys.'
EAC 4 LifE

United States

#6 Apr 13, 2007
I Am a Graffity Writer And Wat u all dont know the cutting bobwire gettin chased bombing all over the city not giving a dam graffity is addicting even if u dont do drugs ACID one HAHA WONT STOP EVEN IF DA PIGS CATCH ME
RW Kenny

Oak Brook, IL

#7 Apr 13, 2007
Please God tell me this is a joke.
EAC 4 LifE wrote:
I Am a Graffity Writer And Wat u all dont know the cutting bobwire gettin chased bombing all over the city not giving a dam graffity is addicting even if u dont do drugs ACID one HAHA WONT STOP EVEN IF DA PIGS CATCH ME
John

Irving, TX

#8 Apr 13, 2007
[Shuttap! That snot-nose prick should go to jail for this nonsense behavior! They cause million of dollars in damage and business owners, property owns typically have to bear the cost of these nonsense activities. I hope someone in jail butt rapes this shmuck for causing so many people stress. Saalam.
kjp

Oakland, CA

#9 Apr 15, 2007
EAC 4 LifE wrote:
looser
RWC CA

San Leandro, CA

#10 Apr 16, 2007
Kids do dumb things all the time. Just have them repaint over their work and move on...why have them pay all that money in fines. I really doubt it costs $70,000 to repaint one wall.
Dog

Saint Louis, MO

#11 May 3, 2007
ashley parnell wrote:
this is sad that these kids are going to pay for this for a LONG time i know the 16 yr old (he is my cousin and he is actually 17) He goes to skate church and has NEVER done a drug or smoked a cigarette in his LIFE and he is soo scared. Please EVERYONE just remember that ALL kids make mistakes (they are kids at 18) some mistakes have much worse consequences than this so try to be understanding.
well he shouldve told a grown up
Renata

Port Orchard, WA

#12 May 19, 2007
I just woke up in the middle of the night to find my entire garage door covered in Punk symbols, and the hood of my car. Eight other homes were hit in the area. This is the first home, as a single parent, that I could afford to buy; the damage to my car is more extensive than I can afford to repair, and I have a child sick with cancer.
Yes, kids are stupid, but this is beyond that. They only feel remorse when caught and THEY have to pay. There must be consequences in our society. Sorry, but your cousin MUST pay big time.
SHANE of STREET NINJA

Evanston, IL

#13 May 25, 2007
let them do what they want and stop bitchin
Anonymous Bosch

Oakland, CA

#14 May 31, 2007
Graffiti is a fun, exciting, dangerous, and quite addicting way of expressing yourself. The "cost" of "cleaning it up" are grossly overstated. The paint is provded free (call DPW) and graffiti is usually done on abandoned or industrial bldgs where the aesthetics are unimportant to begin with. Graffiti cleaning is a small economy unto itself in most cities, resulting in untold city jobs and benefits to product suppliers. I love seeing fresh graffiti and imagining the kid standing there in the middle of the night risking quite a lot to get their piece up. I respect the nerve it takes and the artistry involved. Even "ugly" graffiti is beautiful to me. Carry on kids! There is a silent mass of fans out here - even old married/family geezers like me.

savs up jcats down
rwclady23

Redwood City, CA

#15 Jun 1, 2007
Did I miss something here? Did these kids get sentenced? Just curious, as I havent seen anything in the papers about it.

Granted, they are young, and young people do stupid things. But as a business owner (in San Carlos, btw), I think that they should have some meaningful consequences that will make them see the impact of their actions is on someone else. Every business owner isn't rich, and cannot afford to correct the damage done to their properties. And why should they have to be inflicted with crime against their business? These kids just do not think that way at 18, 19, or 20. But they need to, as the law considers them adults. Of course, in my opinion, that's another topic of debate for another time.
rwclady23

Redwood City, CA

#16 Jun 1, 2007
RWC CA wrote:
Kids do dumb things all the time. Just have them repaint over their work and move on...why have them pay all that money in fines. I really doubt it costs $70,000 to repaint one wall.
It wasn't just one wall. And have you priced having something painted lately? It may not be the figures quoted, but it is expensive.
NEW JERSEY

Bayville, NJ

#18 Jun 27, 2007
new jersey rules.
I caught one on Myspace

San Francisco, CA

#19 Jul 17, 2007
I caught a tagger on myspace in Hayward. The idiot was bragging on his profile and of course, his profile turns up when I searched for the tags I saw. So I fowarded all that info to the police. He enjoyed a few days being locked up, his parents got a huge fine. We had all of his crap cleaned up.
I caught one on Myspace

San Francisco, CA

#20 Jul 17, 2007
Anonymous Bosch wrote:
Graffiti is a fun, exciting, dangerous, and quite addicting way of expressing yourself. The "cost" of "cleaning it up" are grossly overstated. The paint is provded free (call DPW) and graffiti is usually done on abandoned or industrial bldgs where the aesthetics are unimportant to begin with. Graffiti cleaning is a small economy unto itself in most cities, resulting in untold city jobs and benefits to product suppliers. I love seeing fresh graffiti and imagining the kid standing there in the middle of the night risking quite a lot to get their piece up. I respect the nerve it takes and the artistry involved. Even "ugly" graffiti is beautiful to me. Carry on kids! There is a silent mass of fans out here - even old married/family geezers like me.
savs up jcats down
So says a wannabe cool hipster that owns no property of his own.
der

San Francisco, CA

#21 Jul 17, 2007
RWC CA wrote:
And while we are at it why don't we just throw our trash in the street? Someone will eventually pick it up right?

How about this, you continue to work your service sector job and rent a shoebox apartment and the rest of us who actually care about what is going on will take care of everything for you.

Lazy minded slob society mumble grumble ...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Redwood City Daily News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Police ID man fatally shot on Highway 101 (Jun '08) Aug 22 AnGe 33
News Stunned in Sin City vice bust (Apr '08) Apr '16 SEXWORKERSANONYMOUS 24
Breaching Camp Glenwood: a medium security faci... (Aug '08) Jan '15 Another Former De... 28
Want Free Vocational Training? (Aug '07) Oct '14 Eugene Dean 2
Redwood City History "Add Facts, Memories & Tho... (Sep '08) Apr '14 Stormy Steigman 27
Redwood City Shooting from 11/8/07 in RWC (Nov '07) Apr '14 RWC descent 111
New Sam Trans Bus Stops (Mar '14) Mar '14 Angry Alamedian 1
More from around the web