Redwood City History "Add Facts, Memo...

Redwood City History "Add Facts, Memories & Thoughts to RWC's History"

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#1 Sep 4, 2008
So far I Found that Redwood City was primarily a lumber shipping port til 1880 supporting the various flourishing industries with building materials through out the bay area and Northern California (including shipping up the Sacramento River) that peaked in 1853. When the lumber business stopped in 1880 the town developed new industries, three leather tanneries, a few diaries, and several ranches. San Mateo county was formed in 1856 and the only thing that resembled a town back then was Redwood City then called Redwood Landing. So I take it that Redwood City's name had a lot to do with the Redwood Trees and the lumber industry it supported.

Since: Sep 08

Redwood City, CA

#2 Sep 6, 2008
Tax Payer View wrote:
So far I Found that Redwood City was primarily a lumber shipping port til 1880 supporting the various flourishing industries with building materials through out the bay area and Northern California (including shipping up the Sacramento River) that peaked in 1853. When the lumber business stopped in 1880 the town developed new industries, three leather tanneries, a few diaries, and several ranches. San Mateo county was formed in 1856 and the only thing that resembled a town back then was Redwood City then called Redwood Landing. So I take it that Redwood City's name had a lot to do with the Redwood Trees and the lumber industry it supported.
Keven,
Are you reading "Redwood City, a Hometown History"? I checked it out of the Library the other day and have been reading it. I've found it to be very informative and an enjoyable read.
Barb

Location hidden

#3 Sep 7, 2008
Barb Valley wrote:
<quoted text>
Keven,
Are you reading "Redwood City, a Hometown History"? I checked it out of the Library the other day and have been reading it. I've found it to be very informative and an enjoyable read.
Barb
Barb,

No, I am reading straight from the General Plan 1990 history. Do you remember anything about Howard Hughes and his related history with Redwood City.

Related Descendent of Bryant Burton (also related to Richard Burton and of course Liz )who was Corporate Attorney to Howard Hughes.

Keven Bailey

Redwood City, CA

#4 Sep 7, 2008
Tax Payer View wrote:
<quoted text>
Barb,
No, I am reading straight from the General Plan 1990 history. Do you remember anything about Howard Hughes and his related history with Redwood City.
Related Descendent of Bryant Burton (also related to Richard Burton and of course Liz )who was Corporate Attorney to Howard Hughes.
Keven Bailey
I know nothing about Howard Hughes and his history with Redwood City. Ditto Bryant Burton. Sorry.
Barb

Petaluma, CA

#5 Sep 8, 2008
When San Mateo County was incorporated, The downtown was centered at Broadway and Main. There was a dance hall on one corner, a Wells Fargo station at another, a saloon on the third and a hotel on the fourth. The hotel was locate where the current Sequoia Hotel is located, which is where the voting occurred for the incorporation. Redwood City was made the county seat at that time.

It was a bustling port town at the time with lumber the primary product along with shingles, hay, and wheat. There was also shipbuilding and blacksmithing. Tanning came later. A courthouse was built around 1858. the coming of the railroad increased the size and economy of the city dramatically in 1963 and a similar wave of growth came after the 1906 earthquake as the city welcomed those displaced from San Francisco.

Redwood City has been integral to the growth and economic health of the Peninsula for many years.

Since: Aug 07

Redwood City

#6 Sep 10, 2008
Barb Valley wrote:
<quoted text>
I know nothing about Howard Hughes and his history with Redwood City. Ditto Bryant Burton. Sorry.
Barb
The Glomar Explorer, built by Howard Huges as a submarine rescue ship was anchored here at the Port of Redwood City for many years. It was huge, and looked very similar to the blimb hangar at Moffet Field. It was a notable landmark for many years. I believe it was moved to Hawaii around 1980.

Redwood City, CA

#7 Sep 11, 2008
gstreetj wrote:
<quoted text>
The Glomar Explorer, built by Howard Huges as a submarine rescue ship was anchored here at the Port of Redwood City for many years. It was huge, and looked very similar to the blimb hangar at Moffet Field. It was a notable landmark for many years. I believe it was moved to Hawaii around 1980.
Very interesting, thanks for the info.
Barb

Location hidden

#8 Sep 15, 2008
Barb,

Yes, Bryant Burton. This goes back along ways and the last time I talked to Bryant I was young and he had fallen down the stairs and his maid said he was still recovering. I haven’t kept up on the family tree very well but most the interesting family stories go back to prohibition era and found that my family lines go back to royal blood.

Keven

Location hidden

#9 Sep 15, 2008
I remember in early late 1960's to 1970's when Shirley Temple (Ms. Black) used to live just up the Hill off of Woodside Rd. When I got my learners permit my Dad bought me a used 305 Honda Scrambler and I rode it up to her mansion and rang the door bell shaking like a leaf. Her butler or maid answered and told me she wasn't receiving guest at the time. All was good, shortly afterwards my Dad took us to a Redwood City Parade and there she was giving me a smile and a wave!

Location hidden

#10 Sep 19, 2008
Richard Satler past Commodore of Peninsula Yacht Club and respected private detective in the San Mateo County area during his active life at Docktown Marina, Redwood City processed the ground work for getting the old tannery building where Peninsula Yacht Club resides documented as a historical building because the building was built in the mid 1800’s and was part of the history of Redwood City and County of San Mateo growing up in the old tannery days. The owner of the property “Salaman Family” rejected the final say so on the proposal.

“This might be a good time to let the people of Redwood City vote on such an idea or convince the existing owner/new coming owner to proceed.”

I have inspected the buildings and there are numerous signs that they date that far back…A lot of the supports and beams are covering up the age with plywood to make it appear to be new while they are very old and decayed…you have to look very closely and pay attention to detail…It is very notable at the Harbor Masters Office where sections of the supporting beams show gaps but the paint disguise it.
Tax Payer View

AOL

#11 Sep 22, 2008
Shortly after the attempt of Docktown's Community trying to get Peninsula Yacht Club recognized as an Historical Building and being rejected by the owner...they proposed to move the Club as a Floating Club at the end of the dock along the boat launch in Slip #1 where several of the members had ready cash for the expenditure. After talking to Kenney Chapel (member) he indicated and noted structure problems as well as the tannery issues and new it was not going to be forever and was active in promoting the move. Paul Pori the Harbor Master shot it down.

Location hidden

#12 Sep 24, 2008
While I was living on Lyons St. just across the street from the community center (Now Red Morton) I used to practice tennis daily until the lights shut off. I was on Sequoia High's Tennis Team #2 singles then went on to play for the Navy Tennis Team #2 singles tour for a season. Red Morton brings back wonderful memories...I remember the 49er’s practice camp and all the players jogging by me from time to time while I was hard at work practicing my daily routines. They kept me inspired with their extra work out into the evenings.

Location hidden

#13 Oct 9, 2008
Red Morton Park Area used to be a Army Depot according to environmental activists.

Location hidden

#14 Oct 9, 2008
Stulsaft Park is on record as being a Rock Quarry and then a mercury mine, where the mining stopped in 1958.
Ellen

Richmond, VA

#15 Jan 24, 2009
Does anyone remember a Hamburger joint down by the harbor called Al's. Do you remember his name - just a friendly family wager!
FYI

Belmont, CA

#16 Aug 16, 2009
If you do a google earth search of susuin bay and the moth ball fleet you can see the Glomar Explorer there
FYI

Belmont, CA

#17 Aug 16, 2009
Here is an excellant article for the howard hughes rescue ship that was located in redwood city. It has some interesting facts and pictures.

http://www.eaglespeak.us/2007/07/sunday-ship-...
Heidi Kathleen

Milwaukee, WI

#18 Oct 8, 2009
My father used to work for a leather tannery in CA in the 1970's. We lived in Belmont, and I was wondering if you know anything of the Legalee Leather tannery (I may have the spelling incorrect).
Thank-you.
Tax Payer View wrote:
Anon

Clements, CA

#19 Sep 8, 2012
Tax Payer View wrote:
While I was living on Lyons St. just across the street from the community center (Now Red Morton) I used to practice tennis daily until the lights shut off. I was on Sequoia High's Tennis Team #2 singles then went on to play for the Navy Tennis Team #2 singles tour for a season. Red Morton brings back wonderful memories...I remember the 49er’s practice camp and all the players jogging by me from time to time while I was hard at work practicing my daily routines. They kept me inspired with their extra work out into the evenings.
I was on Lyons St. from 1963 - 1985
Digging History

Newark, CA

#20 Sep 9, 2012
I am looking for any history of San Mateo County Fire, but specifically for where the Redwood City station was located.
Some things I was able to find out:

The first "station" was at Bert Wereders (Co. Fire Warden) house until 1936 when both engines and the dispatch were moved to "the former juvenile.........." (unreadable) in Redwood City.

From there (were ever that was) the Co. FD. HQ was moved to the then new facility on Tower Rd.(the current Station 17) in 1958 ?

Also looking for when the previous Pescadero station was built. I know that the current (station 59, at 1200 Pesc. Rd.) was built in 1957. The former was located near the NE corner of Pesc. Rd. X of Stage Rd.(the parking lot of Duatres). The photo I have of it architecturally looks to be "craftsman" maybe late 20's or early 30's.

I have also found references to County Fire facilities in Montara or Rockaway Beach, Pescadero at Pesc. Rd. X of Cloverdale Rd.(maybe a WPA Camp). Saratoga Gap (not Summit), and La Honda Summit, which is the current Station 58 (Sky Londa, built in 1935 (by WPA)).

If anyone has any information on County Fire, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Redwood City Daily News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Police ID man fatally shot on Highway 101 (Jun '08) Aug '16 AnGe 33
News Stunned in Sin City vice bust (Apr '08) Apr '16 SEXWORKERSANONYMOUS 24
Breaching Camp Glenwood: a medium security faci... (Aug '08) Jan '15 Another Former De... 28
Want Free Vocational Training? (Aug '07) Oct '14 Eugene Dean 2
Redwood City Shooting from 11/8/07 in RWC (Nov '07) Apr '14 RWC descent 111
New Sam Trans Bus Stops (Mar '14) Mar '14 Angry Alamedian 1
News BREAKING NEWS: Triple homicide in Redwood City ... (Jun '08) Feb '14 Goodbye RWC 130
More from around the web