L.A. prankster sneaks hoax ad into Da...

L.A. prankster sneaks hoax ad into Daily News

There are 4 comments on the Palo Alto Daily News story from Feb 14, 2008, titled L.A. prankster sneaks hoax ad into Daily News. In it, Palo Alto Daily News reports that:

Eagle-eyed readers of Wednesday's Palo Alto Daily News may have spotted the following ad in the classifieds section: "Found: Tom Cruise's Lhasa Apso & heart-shaped bed." Alas, the megawatt movie star and ...
Eagle-eyed readers of Wednesday's Palo Alto Daily News may have spotted the following ad in the classifieds section: "Found: Tom Cruise's Lhasa Apso & heart-shaped bed." <br/> <br/>Alas, the megawatt movie star and Scientologist had not misplaced any pets or furniture in Palo Alto. <br/> <br/>Rather, the Daily News fell prey to the antics of Rory Emerald, the self-described "world-famous prankster." <br/> <br/>"Everyone likes Tom Cruise," Emerson said Wednesday in explaining his ruse. <br/> <br/>Since 2005, Emerald has placed between 60 and 80 "found" ads in newspapers across the country, he said. His self-imposed rules dictate that the ads must run in a daily newspaper and must be free. <br/> <br/>"If I have to pay for it, I don't really consider it a hoax," said Emerald, a collage and oil painting artist based in Los Angeles. While he said he tries to keep his professional work separate, he noted that several art magazines have labeled his ads "a kind of performance art." <br/> <br/>Emerald said much of his inspiration comes from celebrities, including Michael Jackson, Doris Day and Rod Taylor. <br/> <br/>"No two ads are alike," he said. "I try to keep them really different and interesting." <br/> <br/>After receiving several requests for a Tom Cruise-themed ad, Emerald reviewed the star's films and noticed his "shaggy" hair reminded him of the Lhasa Apso dog breed. <br/> <br/>"The ad was supposed to say 'waterbed,' but there was just room for 'bed," which is fine," Emerald said. By midday Wednesday he had already received "at least 50 calls," but none from Cruise himself. <br/> <br/>Once, Emerald said he placed a "found" ad in a Bakersfield newspaper for country music legend Merle Haggard's peace pipe and received a call back from the singer himself. <br/> <br/>"He was really cool about it," Emerald said. <br/> <br/> <br/> <br/>E-mail Kristina Peterson at kpeterson@dailynewsgroup.com. <br/>
Resident

United States

#1 Feb 14, 2008
Something to put a smile on my face from reading the newspaper is always good.
Malibu Surfer

Tarzana, CA

#2 Feb 14, 2008
Rory Emerald's found ads are really funny. I'm a loyal fan and can't get enough of them. Cool!
Malibu Surfer

Tarzana, CA

#3 Feb 14, 2008
Rory Emerald's found ads are really funny. I'm a loyal fan and can't get enough of these ads. Cool!
Izzy Newkirk

Fremont, CA

#4 Feb 18, 2008
What a loser. And why is this in
the paper? Not even remotely
newsworthy. Is it the Tom Cruise name your banking on to reel in the fish? Sad. just plain sad.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Palo Alto Daily News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Murder of Arliss Perry (Feb '10) Aug '18 Moral Man 3
Serra now officially a WCAL North lightweight (Jun '09) Jun '18 GoPadres 764
Samoa and tonga (Mar '09) Apr '18 jin 134
News Gangs hot topic for Mountain View council (Mar '08) Feb '18 Scott 14
News Breaking News: Police arrest gang member in Mou... (Sep '07) Feb '18 Scott 38
News Man gets 6 months in cockfighting (Mar '08) Feb '18 un agenda 21 25
News Gang stongholds still exist in East Palo Alto (Aug '07) Dec '17 415 oldskool EPA 74