Student's death likely suicide

Student's death likely suicide

There are 21 comments on the Palo Alto Daily News story from Apr 18, 2007, titled Student's death likely suicide. In it, Palo Alto Daily News reports that:

The death of Stanford University student Maurice Morsette was likely a suicide, officials said Tuesday.
The death of Stanford University student Maurice Morsette was likely a suicide, officials said Tuesday. <br/> <br/>"The initial conclusion is a suicide," said Lt. Larry St. Denis of the Stanford Department of Public Safety. <br/> <br/>Morsette, a 20-year-old sophomore from North Dakota, was active in the university's Native American community and lived in the Ujamaa dorm, according to a statement from Stanford. <br/> <br/>Morsette's body was found last Thursday morning in Escondido Village. <br/> <br/>Sgt. Ed Wise of the Santa Clara County Sheriff's Office said his department no longer is investigating the event as a homicide. <br/> <br/>"Everything leads to a suicide," said St. Denis, who declined to comment further on the incident. <br/> <br/>Greg Boardman, vice provost for student affairs at Stanford, said in a statement that Morsette's death is "a devastating loss for our campus, and especially for those who knew him." <br/> <br/>Boardman reminded students of the broad network of support available to them, including counseling and psychological services, the Bridge Peer Counseling Center, the Office for Religious Life, community centers, and residence staff. <br/> <br/> <br/>E-mail Kristina Peterson at [email protected]
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Val from North Dakota

Minot, ND

#1 Apr 19, 2007
The death of Maurice Morsette has sent waves of sadness and disbelief to all those in his community. Maurice was a strong, dedicated Native Amerian Man beginning his journey to a great future. I find it hard to believe this man has committed suicide, knowing the hardships he has surpassed, only to enter the final months of his sophomore year...to committ suicide? I can only hope and pray that everything will be taken into consideration and that before "Suicide" is decided upon, there will be a complete and thorough investigation.
tavia

Seffner, FL

#2 Apr 19, 2007
of trying to help each other at hard times
tavia

Seffner, FL

#3 Apr 19, 2007
there has to be another way to go
Native Pride

Wolf Point, MT

#4 Apr 20, 2007
The death of Maurice Morsette has sent waves of sadness and disbelief to all those in his community. Maurice was a strong, dedicated Native American Man beginning his journey to a great future. I find it hard to believe this man has committed suicide, knowing the hardships he has surpassed, only to enter the final months of his sophomore year...to committ suicide? I can only hope and pray that everything will be taken into consideration and that before "Suicide" is decided upon, there will be a complete and thorough investigation.
College Student

Washington, DC

#5 Apr 23, 2007
As a college student I believe that there are alot of challenges in life that you experience along the way of achieving your goal in life. I know college life is hard at times, and its overwhelming. As a native american, WE(as a whole), have very strong cultural and spiritual beliefs,though some beliefs are different among families. "Suicide" is a very strong word, and can be a hurtful word at times. No matter what happened, or what anyone thinks, Maurice is in heaven and safe now. I will remember his family in my prayers. Love and Peace to all!
Darian Morsette

Washington, DC

#6 Apr 25, 2007
Who investigated???? There are answers out there. He was a strong willed and loved life. I was there, I was at the scene after everything. There are questions. I know there is more to be found.
Susan W

Bonney Lake, WA

#7 Apr 26, 2007
From all my son has told me about his friend, "little brother" and their plans I find the results of this "investigation" curious. All I can Hope is that every avenue will be checked out completely. I know that there is a great loss and hole in our world with out young men like Maurice.
Friend of the Family

Missoula, MT

#8 May 4, 2007
Maurice will be greatly missed by everyone who knew him... He was an amazing person who touched the lives of many around Poplar and Wolf Point, Montana.
Stanford student

Rockville, MD

#9 May 17, 2007
Has anyone thought about writing a follow up article as to what really happened?
what were the results of the investigation?
Native

Minot, ND

#10 Jun 11, 2007
I knew Maurice, well not personally but I knew who he was only because he used to date my sister rose, I am really saddend by his death, he was well known on the fort berthold rezervation for his amazing basketball skills....We are truly going to miss you moe, we love you, keep ballin in heav bro!
2 Bulls

Sioux Falls, SD

#11 Aug 8, 2007
I am still in disbelief. I dated him for a little while but we decided we would be better being friends. We were there for eachother when life got tough and we moved on. I was proud he was going to college and everytime we talked he sounded so happy. He was always studying and working hard. Maurice will always have a place in my heart.
Doug Wentz

United States

#12 Aug 30, 2007
Darian Morsette wrote:
Who investigated???? There are answers out there. He was a strong willed and loved life. I was there, I was at the scene after everything. There are questions. I know there is more to be found.
Darian, I am very sorry to hear of your loss. I hope for answers, but also that you and Mo's friends' words on blogs like these would be the inertia for better investigations. I hope you'll contact me, it's been years and there is something i wanted to ask about. [email protected]
Darian Morsette

New Town, ND

#13 Sep 18, 2007
Everything leads to a homicide, someone is murdering students at Palo Alto / Stanford!!!!
Sgt. Ed Wise didn't even talk to me. I was at the scene, I have to say someone knows something.
miss morsette

Larslan, MT

#14 Oct 11, 2007
maurice, my brother, my love, my blood.
"it's kinda hard with you nota round, i know you're in heaven smilen down. watchen us, while we pray for you. everyday we pray for you, till the day we meet again in my heart is where i keep you, mo. memories give me the strength i need to proceed, strength i need to believe. my thoughts i just can't define. wish i could turn back the hands of time, us in the MALL shopn for new clothes and KICKS, you and me taking flicks. taken hits, I still can't believe you're gone. Give anything to hear half your breath, i know you're still liven your life afterdeath."

&#9829; you so much, maurice derek. wish u were here.
miss morsette

Larslan, MT

#15 Oct 11, 2007
Darian Morsette wrote:
Everything leads to a homicide, someone is murdering students at Palo Alto / Stanford!!!!
Sgt. Ed Wise didn't even talk to me. I was at the scene, I have to say someone knows something.
i love you, dad
PoliticalAsylumS eeker

Switzerland

#16 Oct 12, 2007
Often the police officers speak out to the meida knew the truth. They are brived. That is what I learned from my conversation with Sgt. Laws. He said that Homeland Security workers are 'well fed.' This is what I heard after 6pm and after the police officers hand cuffed me to send me to Santa Clara Valley Medical Center. Later, I was sent to El Camino Hospital. This happened on the same day I visited Homeland Securicty office in San Jose to submit my evidences of students discrimination on me.
Organized Stalkers are killing students and taking people threat to themselves. They often work in groups for gaslighting and cause the mental break down of the target.
just me

Larslan, MT

#17 Oct 23, 2007
SO,IM SUPOSE TO 'REFRAIN THIS' INTO WORDS THAT AREN'T OFFENSIVE, BUT WHO GIVES A F*** NO ONE DID WHEN THE DEATH OF MAURICE MORSETTE WAS IN PLAY. NO ONE DID, OR HAD NETHING DONE ABOUT IT. WHY,I DON'T KNOW. BUT IF THERE WAS ANYTHING I COULD DO IN MY TINY, BROKE HANDS.I WOULD. IT'S HARD TO ACCEPT AND I STILL DON'T. BUT FROM WHAT I'VE READ, I HATE EVERYONE. MY HEART IS COLD. THIS IS THE FLIP SIDE OF A BROKEN GIRL. NOW UNTIL THE DAY I DAY, MY HEART WILL ALWAYS BE BROKEN.
NEVER, EVER MENDED. ALWAYS TENDER. DON'T EVER FOR A SECOND THINK THAT I'M JUST GOING TO FORGET EVERYTHING OF HIM, HE WAS MY EVERYTHING. AND FOR SOMEONE TO GO AND DO THAT TO HIM, IT'S LIKE TAKING MY WORLD AND SHATTERING IT ALL UP AS WELL AS HIS. HE HAD TOOOOO MUCH TO LOOK FORWARD, && SOME JEALOUS MOTHER F***ER WANTED TO RUIN THAT ALL FOR HIM.. REST IN PEACE BRO, I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!
AND NOTHING CAN CHANGE THAT, NOT EVEN ONE DUMB PRICK THAT PULLED SOMETHING LIKE THAT
F**********er
Tierra Young Bird

Minot, ND

#18 Dec 21, 2007
Man Not One Day Goes By I Think About Mo' Man Thats Like My Older Brotha Man I Love Him So... Wish I Could Hear His Voice One More Time Man Love Mo' I Kno Your Ballin On Heavens Court Love You Bro!!
Darian Morsette

Parshall, ND

#19 Apr 1, 2008
Stanford student wrote:
Has anyone thought about writing a follow up article as to what really happened?
what were the results of the investigation?
No I cant find anyone who will take the mighty Stanford. How do you do things with your hands tied?
Mariah Morsette

Allen, TX

#20 Feb 28, 2009
he is my cousin but i never got to meet that side of the family but it would have been nice to meet them i would still be interested to this day to meet them

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Palo Alto Daily News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
24 Hour Fitness Scam - Could be repeated in Mou... (Aug '08) Sep 9 Gee force 51
Serra now officially a WCAL North lightweight (Jun '09) Aug '16 Padre2004 756
News Students mourn classmate (Mar '07) Jul '16 Monalisa Smile 213
News Physician sues former workers (Dec '07) Jun '16 CuriousDub 71
News Hearing begins for Daly City man accused of wif... (Jan '07) Mar '16 TaShawn78 300
News Family of child molester asks for leniency (Apr '07) Feb '16 Donnie344308 150
White Privilege (Sep '08) Feb '16 Bill Cosby 6
More from around the web