Family of child molester asks for len...

Family of child molester asks for leniency

There are 150 comments on the Palo Alto Daily News story from Feb 27, 2007, titled Family of child molester asks for leniency. In it, Palo Alto Daily News reports that:

Family members of a 42-year-old computer technician who pleaded no contest to molesting his niece asked for leniency from a San Mateo County Superior Court judge Monday morning, saying his behavior had been ...
Family members of a 42-year-old computer technician who pleaded no contest to molesting his niece asked for leniency from a San Mateo County Superior Court judge Monday morning, saying his behavior had been very "out of character." <br/> <br/>The sentencing of John Olp, a computer administrator at a South San Francisco business, was rescheduled until next week, in order to allow defense attorney John Runfola time to review a probation report. <br/> <br/>According to prosecutors, Olp molested his sister's daughter over a five-year-period, beginning when the girl was 9 years old. <br/> <br/>Olp was arrested on the night of June 16, when Colma police found Olp and the girl inside his car at a Colma cemetery, where he had taken her to molest her, according to the San Mateo County District Attorney's Office. <br/> <br/>Inside the car, police found a vibrator, condoms and a towel with semen on it, the district attorney's office reported. The girl then reportedly told police about the molestations that had taken place from 2001 to 2006. <br/> <br/>On Dec. 22, Olp pleaded no contest to 10 counts of child molestation, for which he faces up to 26 years in prison. <br/> <br/>In court this morning, Olp's two older brothers acknowledged that their brother needed to be punished, but asked Judge Craig Parsons to consider a lesser sentence. <br/> <br/>"This is the most difficult thing I've ever had to face, having a family member do something so terrible to another family member," James Olp said to Parsons, noting that the family has already suffered the tragedy of having another brother murdered years ago. <br/> <br/>James Olp asked Parsons to consider a rehabilitative program for his brother. "We know he's got to be punished," he said, "but this is so out of character for him." <br/> <br/>Steven Olp echoed his brother, saying that his brother "has been the most generous and supportive person in the family." He added that the family's first concern was for the victim and her mother, their sister, but asked for mercy, saying that he believed his brother would not re-offend. <br/> <br/>Olp's sentencing was set for March 7 at 9 a.m. He remains in custody in lieu of $1,000,000 bail.
First Prev
of 8
Next Last
jonniee

Oakland, CA

#149 Dec 5, 2010
Yes, they conceed to who protect divates from norm substance creats numb when sewciety filters bass so I made.
Iluvcats

Dallas, TX

#150 Jan 19, 2011
I f**king hate child molesters. Cuz when i was 8 my dad told his friend to babysit me and my little. So he said ok then when my dad left and and my sis was sleepin he. He told me to sit on his lap i said no so he grabed me and sat me on his lap. And then he put me on the bed and touched me and did other stuff to me. But then he was about to molest my little sis but my dad came back. And after that day i wake up in the middle of the night screaming. But i never told anyone cuz i was thinkin he would molest me again and beat the sh*t out of me.
PJA

Burke, VA

#151 Jan 28, 2011
Ten years ago I had to face the horrible news that my husband of 16 years was a pedophile . It took a year of planning and working with law enforcement to put the plan in action to leave and get him behind bars. I thought I had found out in time to protect our daughter - I hadn't I learned 6 months later. There is no good reason to stay with him. Make the choice for your children and yourself. If you don't you will lose your children and the ability to live your life knowing that you choose wrong.
Lynne wrote:
My husband is a pedophile. Last week he told our 11-year-old daughter to come in our room and close the door (while I was at work). He then told her to pull her pants down. She had enough courage to tell him no thank heavens.She had been molested by a neighbor ayear ago and I had taught her to always sayno. It took her three days to tell me. He tells me he has not molested any of our other children, or her before, but I know he is lying. I can’t even look at him without wanting to cry or throw up. My first thought was to throw him out but then I realized how painful his loss would be to the children, worse than if he had died. I told him he could stay if he never touched our child(ren) again but all I can think if a hundred times a day is our little girl closing that door with her daddy trying to get her pants off.that thought will stay with bother her and I forever. How did he justify his actions?.” I was curious”:I wanted to see how much hair she had”“ I was jealous she was showing it to boys” all of which are just sick. Lame excuses for “ I am a predator, I don’t care who is hurt by my actions” I don’t know what to do. I keep trying to step out of my body and take a look at it but every time it is so ugly I cant.
I want to hurt the children the least and I know the other kids will be ripped apart for life by this but I also know sooner or later it will come out. Nothing will ever be okay again for the rest of our lives. I will always have married a pedophile. My children will have a pedophile for their father for the rest of their lives. I will have to guard our children, our grandchildren and all other children from him .I wonder all the time what else he has done. How did I not see this? How do I do this? This was my soul mate, my best friend; I am now a widow emotionally. I can never trust him again. What do I do??? Oh my god I just want to die.
So much pain

United States

#152 Feb 24, 2011
I am in the same boat. I was molested by my stepfather from the age of 7 to 12 years old. I told my mom about what happend and she did nothing. She told me we would leave once she saved up enough money. This never happened. My younger brother & step sister were also abused. My mom knew about this also & did nothing still.Its now been over 15 years since the abuse happened. The craziest part of the story is the types of jobs my mom & stepdad had. My mom had a home daycare & stepdad worked at a psychiatric hospital as a janitor. I finally reported it. My entire family turned against me & even my brother didn't come forward. It has taken 2 years but he is finally behind bars. I thank god every day. We are still going through the trial right now so please pray, that he never gets out & my mom also gets charged because she knew & did nothing.

For people who stay married to these people are selfish. You are not doing it for the kids you are doing it for yourself, because you are ashamed & don't want to be lonley. That's the worst thing a mother can do. You don't deserve to even be called a mother. Even animals will die to protect their childern.
Vic

Asheville, NC

#153 Aug 21, 2011
I do think that there a lot of misconceptions of "child molesters." There are several different kinds. Several categories. To say that all offenders offend for the same reason and all have the same reoffense rate is absurd and goes against what we know statistically. To say that there is no hope for child molesters dooms many people in our society, including many children who have been molested and not received proper treatment. Let's get educated and combat the problem. Some categories have extremely low reoffense rates, lower than any other crime. It depends on what we are dealing with. No sex crime should be tolerated, period. They all need to be reported. But I'm sorry, to believe that there is no hope for these human beings disconnects us from our very own humanity. If society as a whole could actually try to combat this problem and talk about it, we may actually be able to do something about it. The number of offenders is rising considerably. Something must be done. The attitude of "lock them up and throw away the key" does absolutely nothing to protect our children, because there are 20 more coming behind him. Let's get educated! Let's try to understand what is happening in our society, for that is the only weapon we have.

Some child molesters are your typical dirty old man; however, most are not. Statistically, most of the time, we are dealing with regressed or situational offenders. Either way, it is wrong and causes immense damage. But the question should be, "why does it happen?" rather than a blanket statement of "he is a monster." There is a whole spectrum and every situation is unique. Maybe he is a "monster." Maybe he isn't. If we understood why this happened, it wouldn't be happening. So let's understand.
Secrets

Decatur, GA

#154 Aug 11, 2012
i'm 14... and i was molested by 5 different people growing up......now, i'm having dirty thoughts about my cousin and she is 2 1/2. i cry all the time and sometimes cut myself, this is descusting and i want to kill myslef but... idk if it's hormones? trauma? if i EVER touch her, or see someone else touch her.....i will KILL myself/the person.-_____- that's my babygirl and i'll kill for her <3 but, i want these thoughts to go AWAY.
lived this life

Cumberland, MD

#155 Dec 30, 2012
Lynne wrote:
My husband is a pedophile. Last week he told our 11-year-old daughter to come in our room and close the door (while I was at work). He then told her to pull her pants down. She had enough courage to tell him no thank heavens.She had been molested by a neighbor ayear ago and I had taught her to always sayno. It took her three days to tell me. He tells me he has not molested any of our other children, or her before, but I know he is lying. I can’t even look at him without wanting to cry or throw up. My first thought was to throw him out but then I realized how painful his loss would be to the children, worse than if he had died. I told him he could stay if he never touched our child(ren) again but all I can think if a hundred times a day is our little girl closing that door with her daddy trying to get her pants off.that thought will stay with bother her and I forever. How did he justify his actions?.” I was curious”:I wanted to see how much hair she had”“ I was jealous she was showing it to boys” all of which are just sick. Lame excuses for “ I am a predator, I don’t care who is hurt by my actions” I don’t know what to do. I keep trying to step out of my body and take a look at it but every time it is so ugly I cant.
I want to hurt the children the least and I know the other kids will be ripped apart for life by this but I also know sooner or later it will come out. Nothing will ever be okay again for the rest of our lives. I will always have married a pedophile. My children will have a pedophile for their father for the rest of their lives. I will have to guard our children, our grandchildren and all other children from him .I wonder all the time what else he has done. How did I not see this? How do I do this? This was my soul mate, my best friend; I am now a widow emotionally. I can never trust him again. What do I do??? Oh my god I just want to die.
He is not going to stop. For a little while he will, but he will be slicker next time. The kids will do better without this relationship. I am talking with the experience as a incest survivor. Give them a chance..not him. I wish my mother would have left. Im 50 and I still suffer from it.
lived this life

Cumberland, MD

#156 Dec 30, 2012
Vic wrote:
I do think that there a lot of misconceptions of "child molesters." There are several different kinds. Several categories. To say that all offenders offend for the same reason and all have the same reoffense rate is absurd and goes against what we know statistically. To say that there is no hope for child molesters dooms many people in our society, including many children who have been molested and not received proper treatment. Let's get educated and combat the problem. Some categories have extremely low reoffense rates, lower than any other crime. It depends on what we are dealing with. No sex crime should be tolerated, period. They all need to be reported. But I'm sorry, to believe that there is no hope for these human beings disconnects us from our very own humanity. If society as a whole could actually try to combat this problem and talk about it, we may actually be able to do something about it. The number of offenders is rising considerably. Something must be done. The attitude of "lock them up and throw away the key" does absolutely nothing to protect our children, because there are 20 more coming behind him. Let's get educated! Let's try to understand what is happening in our society, for that is the only weapon we have.
Some child molesters are your typical dirty old man; however, most are not. Statistically, most of the time, we are dealing with regressed or situational offenders. Either way, it is wrong and causes immense damage. But the question should be, "why does it happen?" rather than a blanket statement of "he is a monster." There is a whole spectrum and every situation is unique. Maybe he is a "monster." Maybe he isn't. If we understood why this happened, it wouldn't be happening. So let's understand.
There are studies that explain the condition of the mindset when it comes to pedophilia. One is the concept that they lack social self esteem and regress to children because they are easier to manipulate. The other actually believe that they have a right to their sexual preference to children. The point is this country is so short sighted when it comes to our kids. If a man does those things to a full grown woman it is considered rape. But to a child it is molestation. Either or, the victim is traumatized, if not at the moment later in time. And the effects are lasting. What do we do, give one group a class in self esteem and allow the other to have sex with children that say its OK knowing full well they have been manipulated by the adult brain? Their predators, many of them are slick and cunning that appear to be nice and normal. How do you protect your kids from police officers, fireman, priests, teachers, grandparents, what do you do. Lock up the kids?
tammy

Colbert, OK

#157 Apr 11, 2013
What if the molester was your son? Can u just walk away then?
Donnie344308

United States

#158 Feb 28, 2016
struggling mom wrote:
seriously? I am the product of child sex abuse I am 34 now I have lived a very hard life struggling with what happend to me! Sadly now I have to put back my daughters life now..after all that I have been through myself! i am a protective mother..little did i know he was my family member! For ANYONE to say these ppl are human are insane. I hope like hell that nothing ever happens to YOUR child. Sad as it is you probably won't do anything to protect your children. to look at your child begin to struggle because of what someone else did...is heartbreaking...you don't know what to do...where to go....if anything you have ever done has helped. You feel as if you failed as a parent, because the sob was right in front of your face! THIS IS UTTER BULLSHIT THAT THESE SICK ASS PEOPLE ARE NOT PUT DOWN LIKE DOGS. THEY CAUSE DESTRUCTION AND DISEASED LIVES THAT ONLY A LUCKY FEW GET TO PUT BACK TOGETHER. SHAME ON YOU ALL WHO DON'T SEE THAT THESE PPL ARE NOT PPL THEY ARE MONSTERS!!!! YOU DON'T ACCIDENTALLY MOLEST OR RAPE A CHILD! SO NO IT ISN'T JUST A MISTAKE....EYE FOR AN EYE...YOU DESTROY A LIFE...WELL THEN I GUESS YOU KNOW THE REST.
God can Save any Human being. Destruction of Anther person is WRONG. BE A BETTER PARENT

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Palo Alto Daily News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Serra now officially a WCAL North lightweight (Jun '09) May '17 2010 Team 762
News Teen beaten, robbed in city park (Jul '07) Dec '16 Karmabaych 4
News Breaking News: Police arrest gang member in Mou... (Sep '07) Oct '16 Southside13 37
24 Hour Fitness Scam - Could be repeated in Mou... (Aug '08) Sep '16 Gee force 51
News Students mourn classmate (Mar '07) Jul '16 Monalisa Smile 213
News Physician sues former workers (Dec '07) Jun '16 CuriousDub 71
News Hearing begins for Daly City man accused of wif... (Jan '07) Mar '16 TaShawn78 300
More from around the web