Family of child molester asks for len...

Family of child molester asks for leniency

There are 150 comments on the Palo Alto Daily News story from Feb 27, 2007, titled Family of child molester asks for leniency. In it, Palo Alto Daily News reports that:

Family members of a 42-year-old computer technician who pleaded no contest to molesting his niece asked for leniency from a San Mateo County Superior Court judge Monday morning, saying his behavior had been ...
Family members of a 42-year-old computer technician who pleaded no contest to molesting his niece asked for leniency from a San Mateo County Superior Court judge Monday morning, saying his behavior had been very "out of character." <br/> <br/>The sentencing of John Olp, a computer administrator at a South San Francisco business, was rescheduled until next week, in order to allow defense attorney John Runfola time to review a probation report. <br/> <br/>According to prosecutors, Olp molested his sister's daughter over a five-year-period, beginning when the girl was 9 years old. <br/> <br/>Olp was arrested on the night of June 16, when Colma police found Olp and the girl inside his car at a Colma cemetery, where he had taken her to molest her, according to the San Mateo County District Attorney's Office. <br/> <br/>Inside the car, police found a vibrator, condoms and a towel with semen on it, the district attorney's office reported. The girl then reportedly told police about the molestations that had taken place from 2001 to 2006. <br/> <br/>On Dec. 22, Olp pleaded no contest to 10 counts of child molestation, for which he faces up to 26 years in prison. <br/> <br/>In court this morning, Olp's two older brothers acknowledged that their brother needed to be punished, but asked Judge Craig Parsons to consider a lesser sentence. <br/> <br/>"This is the most difficult thing I've ever had to face, having a family member do something so terrible to another family member," James Olp said to Parsons, noting that the family has already suffered the tragedy of having another brother murdered years ago. <br/> <br/>James Olp asked Parsons to consider a rehabilitative program for his brother. "We know he's got to be punished," he said, "but this is so out of character for him." <br/> <br/>Steven Olp echoed his brother, saying that his brother "has been the most generous and supportive person in the family." He added that the family's first concern was for the victim and her mother, their sister, but asked for mercy, saying that he believed his brother would not re-offend. <br/> <br/>Olp's sentencing was set for March 7 at 9 a.m. He remains in custody in lieu of $1,000,000 bail.
First Prev
of 8
Next Last
ashley

Greensburg, PA

#1 Apr 6, 2007
in 1987 my cousin molested my other cousin, she was then 7 years old when she was molested. he was convicted, but our family went to court and asked the judge for leniency. 20 years later he has countless victims. as of march this year, 2007, he has been sentenced yet again. only 5 girls came forward, and for these 5 girls he's in jail. all i ask is you do not give leniency. sex offenders cannot be rehabilitated, they need to be punished. if this would have been dealt with 20 years ago with my cousin and he would have gotten an appropriate sentencing, i'm sure my sister and other cousins would not have been the victims this time around. please do not let this happen in your family too. if this man Olp can do it over a span of 5 years until he gets caught by police, then this was his character. it was not a one-time thing. he needs to be put away before he victimizes anyone else. please take it from a family who has gone through this twice now. please.
Guardian

Brisbane, Australia

#2 Apr 8, 2007
SEX OFFENDERS ARE THE LOWEST FORM OF SCUM ON THIS EARTH I AM A DEVOUT CHRISTIAN BUT THIS SIN IS SOMETHING THAT I CONSIDER UNFORGIVEABLE...THESE MEN AND WOMEN IN JUST A MOMENT STEAL THE INNOCENCE OF THESE VICTIMS IN JUST A MOMENT YET LEAVE THEM WITH A LIFETIME WHICH SEEMS LIKE AN ETERNITY OF PAIN FEAR SORROW EMPTINESS AND UTTER BLATENT HELL THEIR LIVES BECOME A CONSTANT LIVING NIGHTMARE THEY BECOME SO DISSCONECTED WITH THE REST OF THE WORLD YET REMAIN FOREVER LINKED TO THEIR ATTACKER FOR AS LONG AS THEY LIVE....
SEX OFFENDERS CANNO BE REHABILITATED NEITHER SHOULD THEY GEY THEY THEY RIGHT...
TAKE IT FROM SOMEONE WHO DEALS WITH THE EFFECTS EVERYDAY...
Ryan

United States

#3 Apr 8, 2007
For the comment above, I know that sex offenders commit horrible crimes, but everyone on earth is human, whether or not you believe in god. If what you say is true for sex offenders rotting in prisons for the rest of their lives, than why are priests from the Church who molest hundreds of cildren seemingly immune from the law and are instead shuffled around parishes instead of prosecuted to the full extent of the law? And if you answer, please to not use all capitals, it loses respect for comments. Thank you.
Uncle Buck

San Pablo, CA

#4 Apr 8, 2007
Child molesters are almost impossible to rehabilitate. Leniency for such behavior is exactly the wrong response. Now if the family wants to join him in prison, I'd consider that.
Guardian

Brisbane, Australia

#5 Apr 9, 2007
Ryan wrote:
For the comment above, I know that sex offenders commit horrible crimes, but everyone on earth is human, whether or not you believe in god. If what you say is true for sex offenders rotting in prisons for the rest of their lives, than why are priests from the Church who molest hundreds of cildren seemingly immune from the law and are instead shuffled around parishes instead of prosecuted to the full extent of the law? And if you answer, please to not use all capitals, it loses respect for comments. Thank you.
no once did i say that priest are immune nor above the law if anything i feel that because of their staus and understanding of both divine law and the law of the land they shold recieve a more harsh punishment. and those churches that condone such priests by hiding them and 'shuffling' them aronid ass you have said they too deserve to be prosectued and will face the wrath of god on judgement day....
joe

Burbank, CA

#6 Apr 17, 2007
Ryan wrote:
its not just priest who get by with these heinous crimes. my son was molested at the age of 10 by our neighbor (a boy who at the time was 15 years old). my son waited 3 years to tell us what had happened. this neighbor is now 18 years old and his father is the bishop of our church, his mother was a dear friend. we went right to the authorities. and what does the family do? they hire an attorney to protect their guilty son and they have him plead the fifth...the case was dropped by the da because there was no physical evidence and because the perp decided to plead the fifth. the church and the state have revictimized my son in allowing the perp to go unpunished. my husband and i are left unable to do anything phyically or legally for our child. where is the judicial system. we have to live every day of our lives with this freak of a family living across the street from us and the father who protected the perp from justice is a leader in our church...what do you do?
Christina Williams

Latrobe, PA

#7 May 9, 2007
I am a so called survivor of 15 years of child rape. My uncles, father, step father,step grandfather, and great uncle raped me when I was under the age of five and later my father-in-law raped me when his son was in Viet Nam. I went on to be raped by my own husband. My son was raped at five by his uncle and then became a child molester and rapist, went to prison for ten years. I broke the silence and lost my mother, brothers and the entire family turned on me for telling. Not one of my attackers went to prison. My mother told me to think of the other children when it would be in the papers, speaking of my husbands younger sibbleings still at home. My son did got to prison and is out of prison and I have night mares about him doing it again. He said he would never do it, but he also said he would never do drugs again. Two nights ago, he was arrested for possession of cocaine. I cannot ever trust a child molester. They complain about the time they do in prison, but I have a lifetime sentence of post trmatic syndrome, memories that haunt me and will never go away. I will take the horror of my childhood to the grave with me. It is a epedemic, a disease in this world, and I beleive the death sentence should be given to child molesters. It would speak louder to the rest of the world that child rape is like murder, only when you kill someone, they no longer suffer, you create the walking dead when you rape and molest children. If it was done to you, how could you ever bring that pain on another soul?????. While people cry for mercy when it is time to own up to your crime, think about who had mercy for the child, even mothers, grandmothers and aunties protect and enable these crimes against children and tell us not to bring shame onto the family. I say that any mother or anyone who knows a child has been raped and protects the rapist should go to prison right along side of the rapist. No Aunt veilie, it was not a dirty dream! I did not bring shame on the family, the men did that when they did the most horrible crime against children they could do, and they were supposed to love us and protect us.
Christina Williams
kate

Worland, WY

#8 Jun 4, 2007
Christina Williams wrote:
They complain about the time they do in prison, but I have a lifetime sentence of post trmatic syndrome, memories that haunt me and will never go away. I will take the horror of my childhood to the grave with me. It is a epedemic, a disease in this world, and I beleive the death sentence should be given to child molesters. It would speak louder to the rest of the world that child rape is like murder, only when you kill someone, they no longer suffer, you create the walking dead when you rape and molest children.... and [these men ]they were supposed to love us and protect us.
Christina Williams
I agree wholeheartedly. Those who carry the genes of abuse and greed should be absolutely and permantly removed from all of humanity.
Samongan

Berkeley, CA

#9 Jun 7, 2007
2 things:

a) execute his asss...

OR

b) lock 'em up and throw away the keys!!
Nina

AOL

#10 Jun 7, 2007
Does anyone think that a six year old boy whose has been molested by his 12 year old brother would molest his 3 year half sister. Because most molestors have been molested themselves and the 6 year old has said perverted things in the past before any knew he was being penetrated
Penny31

Lynn Haven, FL

#11 Jun 24, 2007
joe wrote:
<quoted text>
its not just priest who get by with these heinous crimes. my son was molested at the age of 10 by our neighbor (a boy who at the time was 15 years old). my son waited 3 years to tell us what had happened. this neighbor is now 18 years old and his father is the bishop of our church, his mother was a dear friend. we went right to the authorities. and what does the family do? they hire an attorney to protect their guilty son and they have him plead the fifth...the case was dropped by the da because there was no physical evidence and because the perp decided to plead the fifth. the church and the state have revictimized my son in allowing the perp to go unpunished. my husband and i are left unable to do anything phyically or legally for our child. where is the judicial system. we have to live every day of our lives with this freak of a family living across the street from us and the father who protected the perp from justice is a leader in our church...what do you do?
What do you mean, "what do you do?" I would think that would be obvious, no? If it had been my baby, and no one saw fit to punish that piece of shit, I would personally inflict divine retribution of my own.

But then again you could also reveal his name. Call him out. Give out his address and phone number. Reveal the church where his idiot father is a leader. Reaveal where his father works and his mother's name and maiden name if you have it. It's very easy to ruin all of these people's lives forever, we just need the info.

Come on, tell us who he is. In fact, if you do then maybe one of us will pay him a visit. You never know what might happen in this age of technology.
Lisa

Chula Vista, CA

#12 Jul 10, 2007
Anyone who does not approve on harsh punishment for child molesters. hum! you must be a child molester yourself. What if you or kids get molested? Then What....
Sandy Mason

Sunnyvale, CA

#13 Jul 11, 2007
Child molestors ruin lives. They have robbed a child from a normal happy childhood and given them a living death sentence of issues.

What about the innocent victims?

No compassion here for child molestors.
ann

United States

#14 Jul 11, 2007
In my opinion, the worst child molester by far in the bay area is child psychiatrist Dr. William Ayres. Parents sent their troubled kids to Ayres for help ! Some of these kids had been molested by other adults, and then Ayres turns around and molests them himself, and then CHARGES the parents for this ! There should have been no bail for this guy. He has been molesting young boys for the past 40 years

Since: Jun 07

United States

#15 Jul 12, 2007
My 14 year old daughter told me in March that my boyfriend of 11 years has been molesting her since she was 5 years old. She has been diagnosed with PTSD also. She is on depression med and something to help her sleep. She had nightmares all the time even would yell out in her sleep. I never knew why but now I do. She was cutting herself also. He has stolen my daughters childhood from her and I think he should be in prison for ever. He hasnt even been charged yet. They say have patience the system takes awhile but that doesn't seem fair to her does it? She is in counseling also.
been there

AOL

#16 Jul 23, 2007
child was 5.... he only got 2 1/2 years out of 20... NOW he wants custody of our son... NEW (other ex wife) and him just had a little girl a month ago...

IF he even gets supervised visitation I WILL notify EVERYONE he lives around to let them know what he is (he is NOT listed altho he pled guilty to 1st degree attempted statatory rape) and I will include a copy of his plea (public record so he cant say i am lying) and the wife KNOWS it.
He was just sentenced

Indianapolis, IN

#17 Jul 26, 2007
My children's father was just sentenced last week on 2 counts of child molestation. There was NO physical evidence nor was he caught in the act. The girl that is involved, was actually being molested by someone else and he did get caught.BUT when the girl was asked what had happened. She blamed it all on my children's father and said nothing about the other man. He submitted to a voice stress test that the police asked him to take. He passed. He was arrested a few days later and is now serving 2 years. Not everyone that is convicted, is guilty. Sex offenders have to live and work somewhere. They are people just like you and I. The guilty have to answer to god and will go through a lifetime of ridicule. In this case the innocent will too.
Tonya in Tennessee

Cookeville, TN

#18 Jul 27, 2007
I hate child molesters, my father had custody of us three girls and would molest our friends when they would come to our house to stay night. I grew up around all men and most of my dad's friends were also molesters, my grandfather molested my dad and aunt when they were kids and so my dad's friends molested all three of us girls before age of 10. I have become a very very over strict parent of three girls myself. I am raising them as a single parent who now has a boyfriend for the last 5 years and just wished I could openly trust him because although besides him drinking I have no other reason not to trust him other than how all the men in my life before hand have treated me. Is there anything I can do to get the worry of it happening to my precious babies out of my head, it bothers me daily and I hate it. Damn the scum that invade innocent children's mind and bodies. Thanks alot, Tonya in Tennessee
Molested but do not tell

AOL

#19 Sep 12, 2007
Go Christina!! I survived 7 yrs of molestation from too many family members. I'm now in a law suit against one of them and have been criticized by immediate family members for "doing this". I'm an educated military officer but can do nothing about this evil. Luckily most of my molesters admit what they did to me, but I'm still not doing well emotionally in my mid-30's as none of them have paid for their crimes. Amazing these bastards get away with it all, do not go to jail, while we are sentenced to a lifetime of suffering in hell. I support you 100%!!!!!!!!!
Christina Williams wrote:
I am a so called survivor of 15 years of child rape. My uncles, father, step father,step grandfather, and great uncle raped me when I was under the age of five and later my father-in-law raped me when his son was in Viet Nam. I went on to be raped by my own husband. My son was raped at five by his uncle and then became a child molester and rapist, went to prison for ten years. I broke the silence and lost my mother, brothers and the entire family turned on me for telling. Not one of my attackers went to prison. My mother told me to think of the other children when it would be in the papers, speaking of my husbands younger sibbleings still at home. My son did got to prison and is out of prison and I have night mares about him doing it again. He said he would never do it, but he also said he would never do drugs again. Two nights ago, he was arrested for possession of cocaine. I cannot ever trust a child molester. They complain about the time they do in prison, but I have a lifetime sentence of post trmatic syndrome, memories that haunt me and will never go away. I will take the horror of my childhood to the grave with me. It is a epedemic, a disease in this world, and I beleive the death sentence should be given to child molesters. It would speak louder to the rest of the world that child rape is like murder, only when you kill someone, they no longer suffer, you create the walking dead when you rape and molest children. If it was done to you, how could you ever bring that pain on another soul?????. While people cry for mercy when it is time to own up to your crime, think about who had mercy for the child, even mothers, grandmothers and aunties protect and enable these crimes against children and tell us not to bring shame onto the family. I say that any mother or anyone who knows a child has been raped and protects the rapist should go to prison right along side of the rapist. No Aunt veilie, it was not a dirty dream! I did not bring shame on the family, the men did that when they did the most horrible crime against children they could do, and they were supposed to love us and protect us.
Christina Williams
Christina Snyder

San Jose, CA

#20 Sep 14, 2007
I am currently as we speak going through a sexual abuse case with my husband (soon to be ex). I married this man 6 years ago and he and I both had children from previous relationships. I had two daughters that lived with me and he had a son and daughter that lived with their mother. I thought we had so much in common. He seemed great to my kids and I loved his. My oldest daughter was 10 at the time and my youngest was 1-1/2 years old. He became a father figure to my youngest daughter. As she grew older he would take her to father/daughter dances and just raved about how he loved her like she was his own. On June 23rd 2007(the worst day of my life) my husband and I took all of our kids out to dinner at the Rainforest Cafe. His kids were visiting for the summer. We had the best night, joking, laughing, and just having a great family night. When I got home I went to take off my makeup in the bedroom. His two children were in the room with me. His daughter was going through my jewelry and his son was playing the playstation. I assumed my daughter was just in the livingroom watching T.V. considering she wasn't in the bedroom with us. I don't know what prompted me to go into the livingroom. Maybe I was just going to ask my husband a question. I am not sure at this point. Maybe God was leading me there. When I walked into the livingroom around the wall that separated the bedroom from the livingroom, I saw my husband standing in the doorway facing the livingroom with his back to the outside patio. In front of him was my little girl (8 years old) standing with her back to his stomach. He had his hand all the way down her pants. When he saw me come around the corner he quickly withdrew his hand and said "What, I was just tickling her" my daughter moved aside quickly and the fear in her face was so apparent. The look on his face was utter guilt. I took my daughter in the bedroom and asked her "What is going on Honey" She immediately started to cry and said "Am I going to be in trouble" I said "No, baby you have done nothing wrong". I asked her if daddy was touching her and she said yes. I asked her to show me what he does on one of her dolls and she showed me how he fondled her. I was in utter shock. I could not believe this was happening. I got my daughter and we flew to my mom's that night. It has been three months and he still is not arrested. His ex-wife still lets him have his children every other weekend. Its like everyone he knows just turns their cheek as if this really isn't that big a deal. His ex-wife is a stupid B---h for trusting him with her children. I called her and told her what I witnessed and that my daughter then told me everything. Obviously she is not too concerned for her own children. In the past three months my daughter has been in counseling and we have found out that he had been molesting her since she was at least 4 or 5. I cannot believe how I missed the signs. I never in my wildest dreams would have thought he would do this. We both were hardworking people who I thought just adored our family. I am sick inside over what he has done to her. I don't know what is going to happen. In the meanwhile not only did he victimize my daughter but I have had to completely uproot my whole life. I quit my job of 6 years as an office manager, I am afraid to leave my daughter with anyone, I am left with mounds of financial debt, and he gets to walk away and celebrate life as if nothing ever happened. He still sticks with his story that all he was doing was tickling her. I have never known anyone to tickle someone with their hand all the way down a child's panties. He is full of shit and I hope he rots in hell. These have been the most horrific three months of my life. I have such empathy for all of you out there who have sustained this kind of abuse if not worse. My heart goes out to each and every one of you. I am devastated for my daughter but I will tell you this. I believed her from day one and left his sorry ass.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Palo Alto Daily News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Teen beaten, robbed in city park (Jul '07) Dec '16 Karmabaych 4
News Breaking News: Police arrest gang member in Mou... (Sep '07) Oct '16 Southside13 37
24 Hour Fitness Scam - Could be repeated in Mou... (Aug '08) Sep '16 Gee force 51
Serra now officially a WCAL North lightweight (Jun '09) Aug '16 Padre2004 756
News Students mourn classmate (Mar '07) Jul '16 Monalisa Smile 213
News Physician sues former workers (Dec '07) Jun '16 CuriousDub 71
News Hearing begins for Daly City man accused of wif... (Jan '07) Mar '16 TaShawn78 300
More from around the web