OSBI's Track Record Investigated Afte...

OSBI's Track Record Investigated After Criticism From Lawmaker

There are 185 comments on the Oklahoma Impact Team story from Apr 26, 2010, titled OSBI's Track Record Investigated After Criticism From Lawmaker. In it, Oklahoma Impact Team reports that:

The Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation claims it brings exceptional investigative service to the state of Oklahoma.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Oklahoma Impact Team.

Since: Apr 10

Oklahoma City, OK

#42 May 4, 2010
Zap Rowsdower wrote:
<quoted text>
No, not every case is solvable, that's just the way it is sometimes. But when it is, it is still up to the DA to file charges and prosecute.
Zap... the truth is that all cases CAN be solved. It's true that not all cases ARE solved. And it is also true that in unsolved cases there usually isn't anyone to blame for the fact that they remain unsolved. But there is never a good reason to just accept that unsolved cases will always exist so that's "just the way it is." That's crap. The cases may be unsolved FOR NOW... but they are not "destined" to stay that way and none of those cases should ever be set aside permanently as if the investigators have just given up and written any of them off.

There is a percentage of homicide cases in this country right now that have gone unsolved... and yes, that's the way real life is. And I guess if there are really adult human beings out there who actually compare real life homicides to television shows like CSI Miami, then they likely are disappointed that these unsolved homicides exist. But it seems to me that disappointment in their community law enforcement might be the least of their worries, since it appears they live in an alternate reality.

And just as a side note... the OSBI are not only called in on "the really hard cases" as if they are Superman being summoned by Lois Lane. They are brought into cases for random reasons, sometimes simply for legal reasons, sometimes simply for added manpower when a local police force is small or inexperienced due to low crime rates in the area. Not all their cases are difficult to solve in the least. There are local police departments and sheriff's departments that handle far more complex crimes every day and do a fine job without the help of the OSBI... and likely prefer it that way.
hogsfan

Springdale, AR

#43 May 5, 2010
The men and women of the OSBI, like other law enforcement agencies, deal with the worst society has to offer. Many of these horrible things none of us who are making comments have ever endured, let alone on a daily basis. It is very easy to criticize and make nasty remarks when looking from the outside, even more so when you have only pieces of information- not the whole. I find it interesting (and sad, really) that no one is willing or able to come forward and say thank you for all that they do. I am sure there are many cases and many instances where agents have made a positive difference, helped a family, assisted on cases of great difficulty, etc... But the only thing that is focused on is their shortcomings. If you, as a citizen of Oklahoma, are truly concerned with the OSBI's performance, perhaps you should become involved with the lawmakers to change what you disapprove of rather than spend your time disparaging others. The OSBI is an agency whose help is requested by another agency, so as previously stated by another individual there are usually other law enforcement personnel involved. Additionally, I would encourage many of you to check your spelling... it distracts from your message when you appear uneducated.
Arthur Curry

Tulsa, OK

#44 May 5, 2010
If you are an Oklahoman "State Lawmaker" then you are one of the dumbest people on the planet right now. Federal Firearms exemption? Abortion ultrasound? Burning witches at the stake?

Sorry, but there are cold cases everywhere. "Oklahoma Lawmaker" is another word for "Bible thumping redneck idiot."

Yawn...

Chouteau, OK

#45 May 5, 2010
hogsfan wrote:
The men and women of the OSBI, like other law enforcement agencies, deal with the worst society has to offer. Many of these horrible things none of us who are making comments have ever endured, let alone on a daily basis. It is very easy to criticize and make nasty remarks when looking from the outside, even more so when you have only pieces of information- not the whole. I find it interesting (and sad, really) that no one is willing or able to come forward and say thank you for all that they do. I am sure there are many cases and many instances where agents have made a positive difference, helped a family, assisted on cases of great difficulty, etc... But the only thing that is focused on is their shortcomings. If you, as a citizen of Oklahoma, are truly concerned with the OSBI's performance, perhaps you should become involved with the lawmakers to change what you disapprove of rather than spend your time disparaging others. The OSBI is an agency whose help is requested by another agency, so as previously stated by another individual there are usually other law enforcement personnel involved. Additionally, I would encourage many of you to check your spelling... it distracts from your message when you appear uneducated.
I see that you think you've got competition in the "disparaging" department. While you encourage us to spend our time involved with the lawmakers, you certainly have no qualms "disparaging" the posters on this forum about spell check and the appearance of being uneducated. Isn't there an old saying for that? Yes, I believe its the kettle calling the pot black.
Carla Seymour

Guymon, OK

#46 May 6, 2010
I sympathize with the Clark family and understand completely, my son died in 2008, the last time I spoke with the OSBI agent supposedly investigating it was May 2009, and supposedly he was still investigating his death, he was short and rude. My family has been treated with total disrespect, disregard, and I wonder if my sons death ever was under investigation, I think we have been lied to, mislead and brushed off. My sons death was murder, kI will never stop.
Ada OK

Duncan, OK

#47 May 6, 2010
Yes, the O.S.B.I is a joke, but so are most of the law enforcement agencys and district attonorys in Oklahoma. Do research and see how many innnocent people cowboy Bob Macey sent to jail to close a case, at the expense of letting the true criminal run free to commit more crimes against good citizens. For that matter just make a little trip from Oklahoma City to Pontotoc county where it is in vogue to convict innocent people and send them to prison for either lenghty jail terms or to death row for crimes they did not commit.

Until the whole law enforecement system in Oklahoma is given a great big enema nothing is ever going to change........IS THIS A GREAT STATE OR WHAT!!!

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#48 May 7, 2010
slimjim wrote:
<quoted text>We all support the idea of solving this crime but they will only put the criminal on parole. The Republicans stacked the Supreme Court and this is one of the political deals which we now have to live with, no more executions, parole for all. They may be innocent, or they may be guilty, that is the job of the jury. But we are all required to turn the other cheek, and pretend they are innocent, just pretend.
wow jim, i wonder where u get your statistics to back up what u ust wrote....b/c while oklahoma is 29th most populous...we have the third highest death row population. we are tops in amount of times our juries/judges order the death penalty.

i have seen no information about murderers getting out of prison...unless, of course u include the men who were exonerated from death row.

Location hidden

#49 May 7, 2010
and yes, ada..i totally agree. you folks down there have been hit horribly hard with the way our crimes in oklahoma are "solved".

i believe that if a district attorney is found to be fudging on the evidence...he should also be criminally indicted. maybe that would stop all of these coerced confessions and convenient jail house informants.
slimjim

Tulsa, OK

#50 May 8, 2010
Arthur Curry wrote:
If you are an Oklahoman "State Lawmaker" then you are one of the dumbest people on the planet right now. Federal Firearms exemption? Abortion ultrasound? Burning witches at the stake?
Sorry, but there are cold cases everywhere. "Oklahoma Lawmaker" is another word for "Bible thumping redneck idiot."
Yawn...
Its an election year in Oklahoma, which means they will stir the hate groups, fill there coffers with money and be elected because they are members of some fringe hate group. Ita called big I and little you. Never mind that they dont represent you, for money talks.
tsk tsk

Ozark, AR

#51 May 8, 2010
All of you naysayers remember the OSBI can track your IP's right to your door....

Oklahoma City, OK

#52 May 9, 2010
tsk tsk wrote:
All of you naysayers remember the OSBI can track your IP's right to your door....
You idiot! I can track your IP right to your door. It doesn't take Batman to pull that one off... but, come to think of it... it might not be within the capabilities of the OSBI.
Locust Grove Citizen

Broken Arrow, OK

#53 May 10, 2010
I agree of the criticism of the OSBI. Information was given to them of a possible suspect of the Girl Scouts Murder, Terry Allen Martin, Locust Grove who bragged of the murders. He was molesting his own family members from 4 years old up to 13 and stopped right after the murders. Vivid details were given to the OSBI and they promised to follow back up. They did not.
Sooner Magic

Humble, TX

#54 May 11, 2010
Locust Grove Citizen wrote:
I agree of the criticism of the OSBI. Information was given to them of a possible suspect of the Girl Scouts Murder, Terry Allen Martin, Locust Grove who bragged of the murders. He was molesting his own family members from 4 years old up to 13 and stopped right after the murders. Vivid details were given to the OSBI and they promised to follow back up. They did not.
Locust Grove Citizen,
I recently read similiar info on a message board (not Topix) about the GSM. I was wondering if you had also posted this info on the other board? FTR ~ I have very little faith in the OSBI. I am not a fan.....

“Jimmy Tha Most”

Since: Sep 08

Sangre De Cristos

#55 May 12, 2010
What's this about: Recently, all OSBI employees were required to fill out a three question form. One of the questions was "Will you agree to enter someone's home and arrest them if they have not enrolled in health care?
wishing1

Anadarko, OK

#56 May 12, 2010
Jimmy Green wrote:
What's this about: Recently, all OSBI employees were required to fill out a three question form. One of the questions was "Will you agree to enter someone's home and arrest them if they have not enrolled in health care?
??
is that a joke?

Location hidden

#57 May 12, 2010
hogsfan wrote:
very nice, hogsfan.
well let me be the first to thank the osbi

thank you so much for recognizing when you are out of your depth and so you call a crime unsolvable.

thank you osbi for using jail house informants when you know they are lying and making your job so much easier.

oh, and along those lines thank you osbi for making us the laughing stock of the united states for the way we "solve" crimes in this state.

thank you osbi for assisting in putting innocent men on death row.

thank you for recognizing that real police work is really tough and feeling sorry for yourself when the people ask you to actually DO YOUR JOB.

thank you osbi for even though it's 2010 you still are plugged in solidly to the "good ole boys network."

thank you osbi for turning a blind eye when you have evidence of actual crimes committed by certain public officials and sitting on it...b/c we know you put a lid on pretty tightly without not much stink to come out of that pot.

thanks osbi for reminding us time after time after time, ad nauseum that you have a tough job.

sigh..i know that i feel so much better now.

thanks for reminding us to thank them.

oh, and now you can go absolutely bonkers with your red marker...let me save you some time....i don't use caps.:0)
fantasia

Binger, OK

#58 May 24, 2010
does anyone know anything abut the suspicious death of a j.j holmes and if it was ever investigated by osbi or authorities?

“aka; lar”

Since: Sep 08

FIND THE JAMISON FAMILY!!!

#59 May 24, 2010
fantasia wrote:
does anyone know anything abut the suspicious death of a j.j holmes and if it was ever investigated by osbi or authorities?
Fantasia, is this a recent death?
Smarterthanyou

Montgomery, AL

#60 May 26, 2010
Here is some of OSBI's exceptional service.

Missing children still not found:

Cori Baker missing since 11/09/07
Amber Renee Barker missing since 12/1/97
Jenae Beverly Blackwell missing since 3/1/05
Lauria Jaylene Bible missing since 12/3/99
Cynthia M. Britto missing since 5/29/92
Destiny Dawn Brown missing since 1/22/07
Anastasia Marie Bruno missing since 1/21/08
Ashley Marie Cesenas missing since 7/9/04
Colt Levi Clark missing since 4/20/06
Alexander Cockrel missing since 6/1/94
Josephine Yvette Cogburn missing since 10/2/83
Joyce Irene Cogburn missing since 10/2/83
Matthew Oliver Cortes missing since 10/29/00
Holden Tyler Cross missing since 10/21/07
Monique Christine Daniels missing since 6/2/92
Crystal Dittmeyer missing since 6/13/96
Syllannia Terene Edwards missing since 8/17/03
Kimberly Nicole Felder missing since 2/22/07
Thomas Fogle missing since 4/15/05
Ashley Renae Freeman missing since 12/3/99
Adrianna Hope Garcia missing since 12/29/04
Tammy Gibson missing since 7/7/05
Michael Christopher Gross missing since 11/10/06
Robert Mitcheall Gross missing since 8/26/07
Tashinenia Jade Guardipee missing since 5/11/06
Lanetha Caseyrose Harris missing since 6/18/06
Kirsten Renee Hatfield missing since 5/14/97
Tanja Marie Hook missing since 6/30/03
Michael Anthony Hughes missing since 9/12/94
Kerri Marie Jones missing since 9/17/07
Charlotte June Kinsey missing since 9/26/81
Larry DeWayne Krebbs missing since 5/30/80
Jamie Michelle McChurin missing since 3/18/97
Meredith Ann Medina missing since 2/14/89
Cinda Leann Pallett missing since 9/25/81
Brittany Ramsey missing since 9/22/06
Sandy Pathresa Rea missing since 9/19/84
LaJuana Reid missing since 6/25/06
Francisco Javier Ruiz missing since 7/14/02
Gudalupe Candeleria Ruiz missing since 7/14/02
Jorge Antonio Ruiz missing since 7/14/02
Lorenzo Ruiz 7/14/02
David Santana missing since 9/24/06
Brooklyn N Stewart missing since 8/26/07
Thomas Billy Lee Tillery missing since 9/19/94
Bethany Maria Tiner missing since 1/1/97
Logan Lynn Tucker missing since 6/23/02
Ashley Ussery missing since 5/22/07

With all these missing people OSBI as far back as 1980 I would not brag about exceptional service.

Each one of these 48 missing people is a son, daughter, sister, brother to some one.
Smarterthanyou

Montgomery, AL

#61 May 26, 2010
Jimmy Green wrote:
This won't happen until 2014 when the bill takes affect. You know the bill we have to pass now without reading it so everyone will be covered in 4 years.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oklahoma Impact Team Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News OSBI: Investigating the Investigators (Apr '10) Mar '17 KellieTiner 93
News Oklahoma Food Stamp Numbers Skyrocket (Jun '15) Feb '16 op is obviously t... 7
News Oklahoma Food Stamps Numbers Skyrocket (Oct '10) Jul '15 Lawrence Brown 607
News Who is the Tea Party in Oklahoma? (May '10) Dec '14 kat 772
News Some Oklahoma Sex Offenders Living In Hotels (May '10) Feb '14 wow 235
News No title (Jul '13) Jul '13 smokey 2
News No title (Jun '13) Jun '13 berryhill28 1
More from around the web