Fluvanna Supervisors Approve $300K Ap...

Fluvanna Supervisors Approve $300K Appropriation to Schools - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News...

There are 13 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Nov 20, 2012, titled Fluvanna Supervisors Approve $300K Appropriation to Schools - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News.... In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

Fluvanna County supervisors have voted to give more funding to the county school system.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

Agnes

Charlottesville, VA

#1 Nov 20, 2012
It is now incumbent on the Superintendent of Schools to get her house in order. She knows, right now, this very minute, how much money will be available to her next year. It is time for her to do her job competently, without drama, or move on. She has created enough division in this community with her incompetence and histrionics. Those demanding more and yet more money for education need to look at some cold hard facts. Let's compare Fluvanna to Albemarle. Albemarle County spends 59% of its revenues on education. Fluvanna County spends 66% of its revenues on education. True, Albemarle spends more per capita and more per student, but that is because they have higher revenues than Fluvanna does. Let me restate this: Fluvanna spends a substantially greater percentage of their resources on education than Albemarle does. This is something everyone needs to consider before they start screaming for more money to be allocated to education next year. Only 34% of the county's budget will be available to pay for all of the other services the county must provide - like law enforcement.
Brandi

Stanley, VA

#3 Nov 21, 2012
Agnes wrote:
It is now incumbent on the Superintendent of Schools to get her house in order. She knows, right now, this very minute, how much money will be available to her next year. It is time for her to do her job competently, without drama, or move on. She has created enough division in this community with her incompetence and histrionics. Those demanding more and yet more money for education need to look at some cold hard facts. Let's compare Fluvanna to Albemarle. Albemarle County spends 59% of its revenues on education. Fluvanna County spends 66% of its revenues on education. True, Albemarle spends more per capita and more per student, but that is because they have higher revenues than Fluvanna does. Let me restate this: Fluvanna spends a substantially greater percentage of their resources on education than Albemarle does. This is something everyone needs to consider before they start screaming for more money to be allocated to education next year. Only 34% of the county's budget will be available to pay for all of the other services the county must provide - like law enforcement.
They will probably just give more raises to the School Board office employees like they have been doing. Let's hope she wises up.
FlucoFan

United States

#5 Nov 21, 2012
Obviously, the previous poster did not have the facts straight. I am a resident of Albemarle County; we spend closer to 70% of the total tax revenue, which is typical. Albemarle County has a revenue sharing agreement, which prevents this type of debacle from happening. Fluvanna spends $1700 less per child than Buckingham County. The average household income in Fluvanna of $74, 000, shows Fluvanna can afford more than a Region 8 school. What we should learn from Buckingham is that they opened a new and very modern school building this year, and instead of complaining, they are celebrating the beautiful new resource the county now owns.
Even before this latest rounds of cuts to education happened, FCPS was ranked 102 out of 132 school for per child spending. The idea that the schools are wasting money is ludicrous. Spend time visiting the schools and learning about the fiscal constraints effecting the classrooms.
Remember that the schools may not generate revenue directly, but they an economic impact that reverberates throughout the entire community in the form of home values, local spending, tax revenue, and charitable giving.
No Comparison

Charlottesville, VA

#6 Nov 21, 2012
Agnes wrote:
It is now incumbent on the Superintendent of Schools to get her house in order. She knows, right now, this very minute, how much money will be available to her next year. It is time for her to do her job competently, without drama, or move on. She has created enough division in this community with her incompetence and histrionics. Those demanding more and yet more money for education need to look at some cold hard facts. Let's compare Fluvanna to Albemarle. Albemarle County spends 59% of its revenues on education. Fluvanna County spends 66% of its revenues on education. True, Albemarle spends more per capita and more per student, but that is because they have higher revenues than Fluvanna does. Let me restate this: Fluvanna spends a substantially greater percentage of their resources on education than Albemarle does. This is something everyone needs to consider before they start screaming for more money to be allocated to education next year. Only 34% of the county's budget will be available to pay for all of the other services the county must provide - like law enforcement.
Well, perhaps if the "good ol boys" running this county would have allowed and prepared for business growth when the county population was growing, this budget would not be an issue. One can not even compare the two counties, they are vastly different and the tax base is completely different. Yes, there are cuts the school system can make, but without growth and the county relying MAINLY on personal property taxes, this county will always haveproblems.
Phil McCrakken

Mobile, AL

#7 Nov 21, 2012
"Country Store Bob" Ullenbruch was made to look like the **** we all know he is in the BOS meeting last night.
Shaun Kenney played him like a fiddle and he doesn't even know it.
Agnes

Charlottesville, VA

#8 Nov 21, 2012
FlucoFan wrote:
Obviously, the previous poster did not have the facts straight. I am a resident of Albemarle County; we spend closer to 70% of the total tax revenue, which is typical. Albemarle County has a revenue sharing agreement, which prevents this type of debacle from happening. Fluvanna spends $1700 less per child than Buckingham County. The average household income in Fluvanna of $74, 000, shows Fluvanna can afford more than a Region 8 school. What we should learn from Buckingham is that they opened a new and very modern school building this year, and instead of complaining, they are celebrating the beautiful new resource the county now owns.
Even before this latest rounds of cuts to education happened, FCPS was ranked 102 out of 132 school for per child spending. The idea that the schools are wasting money is ludicrous. Spend time visiting the schools and learning about the fiscal constraints effecting the classrooms.
Remember that the schools may not generate revenue directly, but they an economic impact that reverberates throughout the entire community in the form of home values, local spending, tax revenue, and charitable giving.
Hi - I got my numbers from the Albemarle County Budget as posted on their website. Where did you get yours from?
Joe

Union Hall, VA

#9 Nov 21, 2012
I wish all of the greedy teachers got fired at Fluvanna. They got their new school, which was way too expensive and now complain about everything else. You cannot have it both ways. Disgusting that these people teach kids and they can't even do a budget. Pathetic.
Dude

Winchester, VA

#10 Nov 21, 2012
Joe wrote:
I wish all of the greedy teachers got fired at Fluvanna. They got their new school, which was way too expensive and now complain about everything else. You cannot have it both ways. Disgusting that these people teach kids and they can't even do a budget. Pathetic.
uh, teachers don't make budgets
tax nightmare

Washington, DC

#11 Nov 21, 2012
Joe wrote:
I wish all of the greedy teachers got fired at Fluvanna. They got their new school, which was way too expensive and now complain about everything else. You cannot have it both ways. Disgusting that these people teach kids and they can't even do a budget. Pathetic.
If it were not for the schools and their overspending, our county taxes would be less than half what they are.

Since: Jan 10

United States

#12 Nov 22, 2012
tax nightmare wrote:
<quoted text>
If it were not for the schools and their overspending, our county taxes would be less than half what they are.
If schools were not involved somewhere in your life, many people would be illiterate.
Fluvanna Resident

Altavista, VA

#13 Nov 30, 2012
Agnes wrote:
It is now incumbent on the Superintendent of Schools to get her house in order. She knows, right now, this very minute, how much money will be available to her next year. It is time for her to do her job competently, without drama, or move on. She has created enough division in this community with her incompetence and histrionics. Those demanding more and yet more money for education need to look at some cold hard facts. Let's compare Fluvanna to Albemarle. Albemarle County spends 59% of its revenues on education. Fluvanna County spends 66% of its revenues on education. True, Albemarle spends more per capita and more per student, but that is because they have higher revenues than Fluvanna does. Let me restate this: Fluvanna spends a substantially greater percentage of their resources on education than Albemarle does. This is something everyone needs to consider before they start screaming for more money to be allocated to education next year. Only 34% of the county's budget will be available to pay for all of the other services the county must provide - like law enforcement.
I see your from Charlottesville and understand your point about expenses but there are other factors that you may not know or want to pint out as well. The "BOS" knew that property values would drop by an average of 33% per $1,000 and hired a comapny to look and advise them where their tax rate should be. The same "BOS" listened to the comapny that they hired with our tax dollars and then instead of raising the property tax to the amount they suggested (.68 cents) they only raised it by 0.028 cents. Now you have a county or lets look at it like a business, a business with the same overhead and less income. Less income not because the customers have stopped coming in but because you decdied to drop your prices by 33%. No business would have done such a thing and been able to stay open and offer the same services and products they have always served. They would not be able to expand their services and offer their customers more product to pick from or better locations to go to or even a better building that may be needed. They also couldn't put money away to cover any extra fees or expenses that could pop up. I stated this to you as a business because the way you stated your comment I believe you have some type of business background. The point being is that the "BOS" saw the income from propety taxes dropping and didn't fix it. The next tax rate will have to take us Fluvanna tax payers from the low rate now past the .68 cents the comapny advised to at least .78 cents just to cover expenses as they are not. Lets hope that before the rate increases nothing else will increase such as power, water, supplies, food, and cost of gas. If those are factors that will of course increase then the .78 cents will not be enough and the next story you hear is Fluvanna county becoming a ghost town. I am a business owner and full time employee working out in and out of the county but within Central Virginia. I see that the school board has done and cut everything they could and have. Until you place yourself in their shoes, it's hard to tell them to buckle down when you do not know all the facts. Oh and believe me I am not saying I know all the facts, just the ones that protane to my local community, my customers, my friends, my family, and my children in this very school system. Times are hard but when you went to school there was someone fighting for your education as well as mine, now it's time for me to fight for my childrens.
Danielle

Gloucester, VA

#14 Dec 23, 2012
When will the teachers ever be satisfied? They are worse than heroin addicts, always looking for thee next fix!
Whats the big deal

Charlottesville, VA

#16 Apr 14, 2013
They got more money?

Why are they cutting jobs then?

Oh yeah! Fewer teachers and more money equals fat paydays for the remaining good old boy teachers!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NBC29 Charlottesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Augusta Woman No Longer Faces Animal Cruelty Ch... (May '12) Feb 20 Buk 7
News Charlottesville, Albemarle Co Join Program to R... Feb 17 Solarman 1
News Charlottesville Police Arrest Man Accused of Fraud (Apr '13) Feb 10 Charlottesville N... 14
News Mall Day Care Takes Care Of The Kids (Nov '09) Feb 6 SoulShine 15
News Family of Teen Accused of Hitting Crowd with Ca... (May '11) Jan '17 Louisa10 19
News New Movie Theater Opens in Charlottesville (Jan '13) Jan '17 Rick 6
News Charlottesville Crews Respond to Bedroom Fire A... Dec '16 Linda 1
More from around the web