Poll: VA Supports Armed Police in Pub...

Poll: VA Supports Armed Police in Public Schools

There are 60 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Jan 8, 2013, titled Poll: VA Supports Armed Police in Public Schools. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

A new statewide poll finds overwhelming support in Virginia for requiring background checks on buyers at gun shows and for posting armed police officers in public school buildings after last month's Connecticut school shooting.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Parent

Purcellville, VA

#1 Jan 10, 2013
Gun Shows in Virginia are NOT private weapons bazaars. The vast majority of merchants are dealers who hold an FFL. I have never bought a gun at a gun show where I did not have to fill out the same forms that I would in the dealer's shop. I have to wait while they call the State Police Hotline to complete the background check. As for buying guns from an individual? That is perfectly legal here in Virginia and elsewhere.
time to pay

Charlottesville, VA

#2 Jan 10, 2013
Adding a armed police officer shouldn't cost the tax payer anything right? Perhaps the cost can come from gun & ammo sales that would pay for it. I'm sure the NRA would be so supportive of placing a huge tax on guns&ammo to support their proposal.
Over Reaction

Charlottesville, VA

#3 Jan 10, 2013
Will they have armed guards on buses too?

If a nut wants to do harm, the possiblites are endless.
Rush Maddow

Charlottesville, VA

#5 Jan 10, 2013
We've had armed cops in schools for a long time -what is this about. They're called School Resource Officers.
County Resident

Raleigh, NC

#6 Jan 10, 2013
Over Reaction wrote:
Will they have armed guards on buses too?
If a nut wants to do harm, the possiblites are endless.
If Wayne LaPierre has anything to do with it, yes.
local local

Charlottesville, VA

#7 Jan 10, 2013
30% of schools in the U.S. already have and fund armed guards. This is not an untried idea. The only discussion is about expanding this to the 70% of schools that are unprotected.
Liberalace

Collinsville, VA

#8 Jan 10, 2013
Rush Maddow wrote:
We've had armed cops in schools for a long time -what is this about. They're called School Resource Officers.
Are the SROs armed? Anyway, I always loved the Orwellian doublespeak of "School Resource Officer." They are police officers who have the full support of the government to use force.

R.I.P.: Field Marshal Cinque
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#9 Jan 10, 2013
Over Reaction wrote:
Will they have armed guards on buses too?
If a nut wants to do harm, the possiblites are endless.
using the aurora shooter as an example, his apartment booby trap failed to work as planned, otherwise all first responders would be over there, giving him more time to wreak carnage;
a distraction at one part of school grounds could divert attention from the real matter at hand;
so it's just a feelgoodaboutit 'solution', not a real deterrent from someone determined
Colt 45

Charlottesville, VA

#11 Jan 10, 2013
There is no such thing as a gunshow loop hole,
All guns purchased from a gun dealer require background checks,The only time a background check is not required is private sales between 2 people.
They may be at a gunshow or selling from the trunk
of their car any place in Va.
xyz

Stanardsville, VA

#12 Jan 10, 2013
Liberalace wrote:
<quoted text>
Are the SROs armed? Anyway, I always loved the Orwellian doublespeak of "School Resource Officer." They are police officers who have the full support of the government to use force.
R.I.P.: Field Marshal Cinque
the SRO is in our school.
County Resident

Raleigh, NC

#13 Jan 10, 2013
huck wrote:
<quoted text>
using the aurora shooter as an example, his apartment booby trap failed to work as planned, otherwise all first responders would be over there, giving him more time to wreak carnage;
a distraction at one part of school grounds could divert attention from the real matter at hand;
so it's just a feelgoodaboutit 'solution', not a real deterrent from someone determined
I agree. How many armed guards would you have to have to cover all bases? Seems like this is a "last line of defense" not a "first line of defense". They need to be stopped BEFORE they get to your child's classroom door.
County Resident

Raleigh, NC

#14 Jan 10, 2013
Colt 45 wrote:
There is no such thing as a gunshow loop hole,
All guns purchased from a gun dealer require background checks,The only time a background check is not required is private sales between 2 people.
They may be at a gunshow or selling from the trunk
of their car any place in Va.
If a person is selling guns in a PUBLIC forum, they need to be doing background checks. If my neighbor sells a gun to my other neighbor, I guess it's on the conscience of the seller if he sells to a wacko.
Colt 45

Charlottesville, VA

#15 Jan 10, 2013
County Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
If a person is selling guns in a PUBLIC forum, they need to be doing background checks. If my neighbor sells a gun to my other neighbor, I guess it's on the conscience of the seller if he sells to a wacko.
Private sells between 2 people are 100% LEGAL in Virginia as long as you do not sell to a known FELON.This may change in the future,but now is still LEGAL.
concerned

Charlottesville, VA

#16 Jan 10, 2013
County Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
If a person is selling guns in a PUBLIC forum, they need to be doing background checks. If my neighbor sells a gun to my other neighbor, I guess it's on the conscience of the seller if he sells to a wacko.
maybe you should worry about issues in north carolina and let the people in va worry about our issues
G Luv

Marietta, GA

#17 Jan 10, 2013
sez you wrote:
Statewide poll my arse...
You and jogger need to take some classes in statistics.
JMK

Miamisburg, OH

#18 Jan 10, 2013
The only way to close the "gun show loophole" would be to restrict all private sales of firearms between individuals. That would require 100% registration of all firearms in order to implement the restriction, which is not a good idea. Irresponsible journalists in the New York-Connecticut area only begin to demonstrate the short-sightedness of firearms registration schema. A fundamental aspect of both the crime-deterrent and national-defense values of civilian firearms ownership is that it is impossible for the bad guys to know who is armed, and who isn't. This is similar to the "herd immunity" against disease that is achieved by widespread vaccination. Registration defeats that because it creates a record which can be discovered and abused.
Eaglescout1984

Charlottesville, VA

#19 Jan 10, 2013
County Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
If a person is selling guns in a PUBLIC forum, they need to be doing background checks. If my neighbor sells a gun to my other neighbor, I guess it's on the conscience of the seller if he sells to a wacko.
Yeah, because the drug dealing thug who wants to rub someone out and buying the gun from a private owner is going to do so when the seller is at a place that requires a background check, and not when the seller is in the Walmart parking lot.
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#20 Jan 10, 2013
JMK wrote:
The only way to close the "gun show loophole" would be to restrict all private sales of firearms between individuals. That would require 100% registration of all firearms in order to implement the restriction, which is not a good idea. Irresponsible journalists in the New York-Connecticut area only begin to demonstrate the short-sightedness of firearms registration schema. A fundamental aspect of both the crime-deterrent and national-defense values of civilian firearms ownership is that it is impossible for the bad guys to know who is armed, and who isn't. This is similar to the "herd immunity" against disease that is achieved by widespread vaccination. Registration defeats that because it creates a record which can be discovered and abused.
Notwithstanding the accuracy of gv't records in question, even if this information was made available (which it isn't in VA), I doubt a robber will be checking his iphone for a google marker over my house before entering.
Eaglescout1984

Charlottesville, VA

#21 Jan 10, 2013
And I promise you any overreaching gun control will have about as much effectiveness as the 18th amendment did.
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#22 Jan 10, 2013
Eaglescout1984 wrote:
<quoted text>
Walmart parking lot
where markups attract a brisk business

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NBC29 Charlottesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Charlottesville Police Arrest Man Accused of Fraud (Apr '13) Oct 17 DonaldMcDumpfHeil... 15
News Kaepernick, 49ers teammate kneel during nationa... (Sep '16) Oct 16 Pick a fart 20
News Fluvanna Fugitive Turns Himself In Across the C... (Jan '12) Oct 11 Facts 10
News Staiger Seeks Fluvanna County School Board Seat... Oct 8 Vote 8
News Fluvanna County Republicans Get out the Vote in... (Sep '12) Oct 6 el rey de los cam... 43
News Obama Campaign Opens Fluvanna Office - NBC29 WV... (Aug '12) Oct 2 James 60
News Fluvanna Man Stuck in Home Due to Downed Power ... (Mar '13) Sep 28 Merica 52
More from around the web