Albemarle and Cville Democratic Commi...

Albemarle and Cville Democratic Committees Issue Statements

There are 81 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Mar 1, 2013, titled Albemarle and Cville Democratic Committees Issue Statements. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

In light of Scottsville District Supervisor Christopher Dumler's recent plea of guilty to a charge of sexual battery, the Committee has decided to remove him from the Albemarle County Democratic Committee and call for his resignation from the Board of Supervisors.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

King Ralph

Lexington, VA

#63 Mar 4, 2013
Of course he may be guilty, but it's insane to try to force him out unless you personally know the facts, which none of the low rent Sherlocks here do.

One of my favorite quotes about destroying due process to punish evil:

WILLIAM ROPER: So, now you give the Devil the benefit of law!

SIR THOMAS MORE: Yes! What would you do? Cut a great road through the law to get after the Devil?

ROPER: Iíd cut down every law in England to do that!

MORE: Oh? And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned íround on you, where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat? This country is planted thick with laws, from coast to coast, Manís laws, not Godís! And if you cut them down, and youíre just the man to do it, do you really think you could stand upright in the winds that would blow then? Yes, Iíd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safetyís sake!
Donald

Charlottesville, VA

#64 Mar 4, 2013
King Ralph wrote:
Of course he may be guilty, but it's insane to try to force him out unless you personally know the facts, which none of the low rent Sherlocks here do.
SIR THOMAS MORE: Yes! What would you do? Cut a great road through the law to get after the Devil?
MORE: Oh? And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned íround on you, where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat? This country is planted thick with laws, from coast to coast, Manís laws, not Godís! And if you cut them down, and youíre just the man to do it, do you really think you could stand upright in the winds that would blow then? Yes, Iíd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safetyís sake!
There's no "may" about his guilt. He plead guilty. A judge or jury did not convict him, he conviced himself. Now I admit, none of us know what happened, but if he's such a fine upstanding man, then why doubt his word? He said he behaved inappropriately and by his own admission in a court of law is guilty of the the charge of sexual battery.
Donald

Charlottesville, VA

#65 Mar 4, 2013
correction, "convicted himself"
Law Man

United States

#66 Mar 4, 2013
King Ralph wrote:
I personally do not know the facts of this case. What I do know is that facts were
presented in a court of law. Mr. Dumler decided to plead guilty to at least some of the facts.
George S

Jemison, AL

#67 Mar 4, 2013
Oh, they have awakened from their coma? For what, to make this tiny statement?

How about a recomendation for a full and thorough investigation---in the public's interest.

Whatever he may truly be guilty of, give him full punishment.
Whatever

Charlottesville, VA

#68 Mar 4, 2013
cvillemom wrote:
Shame on them! How many weeks did it take for these committees to decide to take the moral high ground and release these statements? They shouldn't have even had to think about asking for his resignation. It should have happened the day he plead guilty, or at the latest, one day after.
Voters: please remember how these Democratic officials refused to act on this issue until they saw the public outcry.
Hold on......let me call the WAAAAAMMMMNBluence.
Cville Patriot

Charlottesville, VA

#69 Mar 4, 2013
Lots of giddy Republicons here today!
Dude

Culpeper, VA

#70 Mar 4, 2013
Cville Patriot wrote:
Lots of giddy Republicons here today!
I think it's fair to say that those that post on here (and nationally)do not reflect the views of the population.
King Ralph

Lexington, VA

#71 Mar 5, 2013
Donald wrote:
<quoted text>There's no "may" about his guilt. He plead guilty. A judge or jury did not convict him, he conviced himself. Now I admit, none of us know what happened, but if he's such a fine upstanding man, then why doubt his word? He said he behaved inappropriately and by his own admission in a court of law is guilty of the the charge of sexual battery.
Read the previous page, genius. There are myriads of reasons a newly elected politician might cop a guilty plea to a much lesser charge if the sentence is heavily reduced and a trial might serve as a distraction, or invite the public at large into a detailed history of his sexual proclivities, a particular death knell in a quiet, conservative community. And also like I said before, look at all the cretins ready to crucify him on these boards here without a shred of evidence. All you need is 15 squawking idiots like them or the harpies who whined at the BOS meeting on the jury and now you're looking at years of your freedom gone. If the guilty plea makes enough of the charge go away, going to trial is simply a bad bet.

FYI the idea of him being a "fine upstanding man", which I think very few people would take from his behavior, and relating that at all to an illegal push to force him out of an elected seat, is the sort of preposterous gibberish I've come to expect from blowhard Charlottesville residents who claim omniscience while barely being able to string a cogent thought together. Incompetence is not a virtue even if you toot your own horn 24/7.
King Ralph

Lexington, VA

#72 Mar 5, 2013
I meant 12, darn keypad.
stunned in albemarle

Charlottesville, VA

#73 Mar 21, 2013
Vagal wrote:
Took them long enough!
It took them long enough to decide this was politically productive.
stunned in albemarle

Charlottesville, VA

#74 Mar 21, 2013
cvillemom wrote:
Shame on them! How many weeks did it take for these committees to decide to take the moral high ground and release these statements? They shouldn't have even had to think about asking for his resignation. It should have happened the day he plead guilty, or at the latest, one day after.
Voters: please remember how these Democratic officials refused to act on this issue until they saw the public outcry.
Cville Mom, haven't you figured out yet that morals or outrage have nothing to do with any of this? It is all about who can make the most political hay. Wake up and smell the coffee in the 21st Century Cville Mom.
stunned in albemarle

Charlottesville, VA

#75 Mar 21, 2013
Mr-Butcher wrote:
Better late than never I suppose.
But I don't think Dumbler is going to play ball.
He's too narcissistic and believes that the good of Scotsville is dependent on his staying put and ridding out the ridicule and perceived persecution.
He'll probably roll his eyes and smirk as he reports to jail on Friday after the BoS meeting.
@Albemarle and C'ville Dems, you've got a real nutcase on your hands.
He may be worse than Halfaday..
Look out
Hello...I am not a democrat or a republican. I am a conservationist. From my view point, as I look at the make up of the BOS...in fact Supervisor Dumler is all that is standing between the bulldozers of Boyd and Snow's developer buddies and the Route 20 no growth corridor. I deplore what happened to these women. However, there are support groups and couseling to help them heal. There are no support groups or healing remedies for the land once it has been pillaged by the opprotunists on the BOS. They want to make money and they do not care how many women get abused or displaced in the process. They want the Scottsville District to look like Crozet so they and their cronies can make big bags of money
sez you

Charlottesville, VA

#76 Mar 21, 2013
stunned in albemarle wrote:
<quoted text>Hello...I am not a democrat or a republican. I am a conservationist. From my view point, as I look at the make up of the BOS...in fact Supervisor Dumler is all that is standing between the bulldozers of Boyd and Snow's developer buddies and the Route 20 no growth corridor. I deplore what happened to these women. However, there are support groups and couseling to help them heal. There are no support groups or healing remedies for the land once it has been pillaged by the opprotunists on the BOS. They want to make money and they do not care how many women get abused or displaced in the process. They want the Scottsville District to look like Crozet so they and their cronies can make big bags of money
I get your point and its a valid one but would you be so obtuse had it been your daughter?
stunned in albemarle

Charlottesville, VA

#77 Mar 21, 2013
David Von thurston wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry but you are just one district. WE THE PEOPLE have a voice! To even suggest that an admitted sex offender be
eligible to stay on the BOS is bullpoop!
Scottsville District is one District and it is a District that voted in a Conservationist Representative. We may be one District but we are fighting for the survival of the entire county, Commonwealth and world. We decided we wanted to be represented by a someone who will not let the developers have their way in our District. That is our decision and no other Districts. If you want your District turned into an asphalt jungle, we will beg you to not do it but ultimately, it is our decision to remain green. Right now the only one that is keeping us from being an ATM for Boyd and Snow's developer cronies is Supervisor Dumler. I have grandchilden and I am determined to pass a sustainable world onto to them.
stunned in albemarle

Charlottesville, VA

#78 Mar 21, 2013
sez you wrote:
<quoted text>I get your point and its a valid one but would you be so obtuse had it been your daughter?
My daughter is smart enough to first not get into the situation and if somehow she was, he would be a dead SOB and we would be debating the merits of her innocence.
stunned in albemarle

Charlottesville, VA

#79 Mar 21, 2013
charlottesville wrote:
They should have gotten rid of him a long time ago. As soon as he pleaded Guilty he should have been gone that should have been one of the consequences. If you know you are not GUILTY go to court why take a plea agreement??? He is lying like most officals do.
They did "get him." They applied the current penalty as prescribed by law. That is all there is, folks. Donot forget, the victims knew what punishment he was going to get and they agreed to it.
stunned in albemarle

Charlottesville, VA

#80 Mar 21, 2013
Azur wrote:
Yeah, and Poor Little Rich Kid Dumler has no funds for a defense, but is an investor in James River Brewing??
"Dumler practices law from a Scottsville office and is an investor in James River Brewing."
http://www.dailyprogress.com/news/article_c98...
ďIt all seems strange and hard to believe,Ē said Dustin Castor, co-owner of James River Brewing Co., a Scottsville microbrewery in which Dumler is a partner.
http://www.dailyprogress.com/news/article_023...
Chris Kyle, the lead owner of a new Scottsville brewery that opened in September and where Dumler recently participated in a charity bartender event [NOTE: For S.A.R.A....], says that Dumler is one of James River Brewing's 38 shareholders and that nothing about the allegation matches Dumler's track record of professional work and community service.
http://www.readthehook.com/108359/bail-set-du...
I know all of the people involved in the brewery. Like all start ups the principals are as poor as church mice. Kyle and Castor both live in small rented places for less that $1000 per month. Dumler is not from a rich family. His parents are teachers. He has a start up private practice that is housed in his home. He lives in a very modest rural rancher. I agree that things need to change but please, let us not paint the people with a rich paint brush when they are not. The really really rich do enough bad things in the country and in this county. However, this time, they are not involved.
stunned in albemarle

Charlottesville, VA

#81 Mar 21, 2013
Agnes wrote:
<quoted text>
If Mr. Dumler was innocent of the crime he was alleged to have committed, and yet pleaded guilty, then he LIED before the court. If he is guilty of the crime, then there is no argument to put forward. In either case, he has sacrificed the trust of the public he is committed to serve, and can now serve them best by resigning his position.
And, frankly, there is no logical argument you can put forth for a person to plead guilty to a sex crime he did not commit. Any self-respecting person, wholly innocent of a crime they are accused of committing - especially a violent crime - will fight tooth and nail to prove their innocence, regardless of the risk and cost. Even if, as you assert, Mr. Dumler is innocent of this crime, and pleaded guilty for the reasons you listed above, there is still cause for him to resign - poor judgment. If he made such a poor choice when his own reputation and way of life were at stake - how can the residents of Scottsville trust him to make good choices for their community?
This has gone on far too long. It is time for him to resign.
Dear Agnes,( I like your name.) Dumler did not plead guilty to the crime he was accused of. He pled guilty to a misdemeanor and he was accused of a felony...so no lie there. There are lots of reasons why someone will plead guilty to a misdemeanor...no felony record, no requirement to register with any state or local government, no taking chances with uneducated and unsophisticated juries and it goes on and on. Certianly, Dumler has exhibted VERY POOR judgement in his personal life, however, he is a brilliant public policy strategist and is doing the best job of representing the interests of the Scottsville Distict in over 25 years. I do not know if this says more bad things about Dumler or the quality of the people willing to represent the District but, the fact of the matter is, he has been and continues to be a good advocate for the District. Additionally, he is convicted of a misdemeanor...a minor crime by definition. It is classified as that and that only. The general outrage has decided to proclaim it a sex crime. However, according to the Commonwealth of Va, it is only a minor crime. Finally the women involved had to agree to the plea deal. They knew he would not have to resign his position. If they agreed to that, who are we to question them? It was, after all, their decision and not Dumler's ultimately.
stunned in albemarle

Charlottesville, VA

#82 Mar 21, 2013
George S wrote:
Oh, they have awakened from their coma? For what, to make this tiny statement?
How about a recomendation for a full and thorough investigation---in the public's interest.
Whatever he may truly be guilty of, give him full punishment.
George, by the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, they did give him the full punishment. I do not know why people are so angry with Dumler for doing EXACTLY what the law says he has to do. They should be angry, instead, at the people who make the law toothless.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NBC29 Charlottesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Charlottesville Holds Veteran and Community Job... Sep 12 Mark 2
News Kaepernick, 49ers teammate kneel during nationa... (Sep '16) Sep 5 AllPharts 8
News Virginia State Police officer indicted on sex c... Aug 23 Brody B 3
News Vandals Spray Paint Culpeper Police Cars (Dec '08) Aug '17 2 of the 5 involved 4
News Augusta Woman No Longer Faces Animal Cruelty Ch... (May '12) Aug '17 Buk 8
News Officer who shot Australian woman felt called t... Jul '17 Indict Hillary NOW 12
News McConnell, Paul talk health care _ just not wit... Jul '17 my vote 242
More from around the web