Students Put on Life Support from Dri...

Students Put on Life Support from Drinking, UVA Cracks Down

There are 28 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Jan 28, 2013, titled Students Put on Life Support from Drinking, UVA Cracks Down. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

Two University of Virginia students have recovered after being put on life support for alcohol consumption.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Tom J

South Saint Paul, MN

#1 Jan 31, 2013
As I spin in my grave.....being ranked #1 party school was NOT my vision.
Resident

Ruckersville, VA

#3 Jan 31, 2013
In my time (a long time ago) I saw the Greek organizations as a place to party, drink and have a good time. Yes they have their good points, but drinking is not now, nor was it ever a good point. Institutes of higher learning are there to educate young men and women, but the drinking problem does not add to that in good terms. Anything that can be done in this respect is well advised. Intelligent people can be drawn into lifetime problems with alcohol, and we need to insure the education includes this information, and how to get along without being under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
james brown

Charlottesville, VA

#4 Jan 31, 2013
These students are the future? We are so screwed!
Woolen Millie

Charlottesville, VA

#5 Jan 31, 2013
Otherwise known as chlorine in the gene pool...
Dude

Winchester, VA

#7 Jan 31, 2013
james brown wrote:
These students are the future? We are so screwed!
it's also our past... Seriously.
Dude

Winchester, VA

#8 Jan 31, 2013
Resident wrote:
In my time (a long time ago) I saw the Greek organizations as a place to party, drink and have a good time. Yes they have their good points, but drinking is not now, nor was it ever a good point. Institutes of higher learning are there to educate young men and women, but the drinking problem does not add to that in good terms. Anything that can be done in this respect is well advised. Intelligent people can be drawn into lifetime problems with alcohol, and we need to insure the education includes this information, and how to get along without being under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
sure, all of why you say is true, but often it's the abstinence only puritanical crowd that has never strayed far, or been allowed to fly far from the nest that has a problem with risky behavior that they have otherwise never been exposed it.
Mind Control

Waynesboro, VA

#9 Jan 31, 2013
One of the worst drugs out there kids. Never heard of the green stuff putting college kids on life support.
Hmmmmm

Charlottesville, VA

#10 Jan 31, 2013
Sending people off to college in a puritanical anti-drinking culture (with a drinking age of 21 no less!!) is like forbidding people to learn to drive and suddenly handing them the keys to the Ferrari at 18.

The more the moral panic folks try to "crack down" the worse it gets.

I will be teaching my kids all about safe driving and how to do it before they get the keys. They will also learn all about safe drinking and how to do it before they are turned loose at 18 on a college campus.

Its time for the U.S. to grow up about drinking. It isn't the evil juice of the devil. But it can be dangerous if you don't know anything - kind of like cars.
Rex

Chesapeake, OH

#12 Jan 31, 2013
Expell all if them!
Rex

Chesapeake, OH

#13 Jan 31, 2013
Rex wrote:
Expell all if them!
I meant expel!!
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#14 Feb 1, 2013
close done the frats
they help meld conservative values anyway
charlottesville

Charlottesville, VA

#15 Feb 1, 2013
What I would like to know is how are they getting the Alcohol?? Who is selling it to them and or who is buying it for them?? Put charges against them and that would help. Call these kids parents and let them know what is happening on campus or maybe they just don't care because they are out of their hair. Something needs to be down about this Alcohol problem we have here!!!!
Zooloo

Midlothian, VA

#16 Feb 1, 2013
Mind Control wrote:
One of the worst drugs out there kids. Never heard of the green stuff putting college kids on life support.
So true!
SuzyQ

Chesapeake, OH

#17 Feb 1, 2013
Mind Control wrote:
One of the worst drugs out there kids. Never heard of the green stuff putting college kids on life support.
Come on non supporters of pot or OLD FOGIES,
WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO SAY? Have you heard of someone smoking pot & being on LIFE SUPPORT?
CVA

Richmond, VA

#18 Feb 1, 2013
There should be a higher age limit on hard liquor sales. College kids need to stick with the Kegers.
Hypocrite Central

Charlottesville, VA

#19 Feb 1, 2013
uva police - goes to kid in hospital "where did you get it?" - either I find out NOW, or we charge you. If kid doesn't give it up - then, charge and the judge gives them the max sentence. It will only take one or two "rolling" on the supplier and they will think twice about giving it. Or, bring an honor code charge against them. "Are you able to legally drink this?" If they answer "no" then they LIED when they consumed it. Expel them. No, wait....They're the future tailgaters who drive our roads drunk after football games without fear of apprehension......EIGHT times to look forward to, this year. And no....Green leafy vegetative material will only make you hungry.
Disillusioned

Charlottesville, VA

#20 Feb 1, 2013
The students are revered and coddled by UVa administration. You can't "look the other way" most of the time then act shocked when stuff like this happens.
Cvillian

Charlottesville, VA

#21 Feb 1, 2013
Change the legal drinking age back to 18. That puts the college students back in bars and restaurants instead of binge drinking in basements and off campus apartments. It's ridiculous to think that the same young man or woman you think is old enough to go away to college, vote, or serve in the military is incapable of drinking responsibly. It's the "forbidden fruit" aspect that leads to such extreme misuse. Of course there are many adults of all ages who drink too much but raising the drinking age hasn't fixed that problem in 18-21 year olds.
Dude

Winchester, VA

#22 Feb 1, 2013
Hypocrite Central wrote:
uva police - goes to kid in hospital "where did you get it?" - either I find out NOW, or we charge you. If kid doesn't give it up - then, charge and the judge gives them the max sentence. It will only take one or two "rolling" on the supplier and they will think twice about giving it. Or, bring an honor code charge against them. "Are you able to legally drink this?" If they answer "no" then they LIED when they consumed it. Expel them. No, wait....They're the future tailgaters who drive our roads drunk after football games without fear of apprehension......EIGHT times to look forward to, this year. And no....Green leafy vegetative material will only make you hungry.
I don't think potentially ruining the future of these young adults in their first flight is appropriate or necessary. Kids (young adults)are going to make mistakes, and hopefully survive them. Education is key, just say no doesn't work.
Dude

Winchester, VA

#23 Feb 1, 2013
Cvillian wrote:
Change the legal drinking age back to 18. That puts the college students back in bars and restaurants instead of binge drinking in basements and off campus apartments. It's ridiculous to think that the same young man or woman you think is old enough to go away to college, vote, or serve in the military is incapable of drinking responsibly. It's the "forbidden fruit" aspect that leads to such extreme misuse. Of course there are many adults of all ages who drink too much but raising the drinking age hasn't fixed that problem in 18-21 year olds.
it also puts the naive in situations where drugs can be introduced to them, and are around unscrupulous characters who may take liberties with an inebriated co-ed that is blacked out.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NBC29 Charlottesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 800-pound Rhode Island man says he's determined... (Nov '15) May 21 Three Days 3
News Police Standoff at Lake Monticello Ends, Suspec... (Feb '13) Apr '16 Kimmy Head 79
News University of Mary Washington names new president Apr '16 Jennie Marie 1
News Staunton Police Investigate Murder-Suicide (May '09) Apr '16 Someone 9
News Kyle Long Arrested in Charlottesville (Jan '09) Apr '16 Go Blue Forever 83
News Greene County Church Arson Trial (Mar '11) Mar '16 stephen fox 43
News NHL concludes rape allegation unfounded against... Mar '16 SHERI LANE 1
More from around the web