Senate Panel to Consider Texting Bills

Senate Panel to Consider Texting Bills

There are 10 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Jan 28, 2013, titled Senate Panel to Consider Texting Bills. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

The Courts of Justice Committee had been scheduled to consider the legislation Friday as the General Assembly faces a Tuesday deadline for each chamber to act on its own bills.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

Dude

Winchester, VA

#1 Feb 1, 2013
Uuuuuugh
Gnu

Charlottesville, VA

#2 Feb 1, 2013
How will they determine if you are texting or if you are doing any of the other millions of things on a smartphone?
Lots of folks will soon be learning "edit/clear-all" real fast.
Dude

Winchester, VA

#3 Feb 1, 2013
Gnu wrote:
How will they determine if you are texting or if you are doing any of the other millions of things on a smartphone?
Lots of folks will soon be learning "edit/clear-all" real fast.
What is the difference between this and the thousands of other distractions?
Dude

Winchester, VA

#4 Feb 1, 2013
Will police be held to these standards?
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#5 Feb 1, 2013
Dude wrote:
Uuuuuugh
crash
CvilleMechEngr

Charlottesville, VA

#6 Feb 1, 2013
Dude wrote:
<quoted text>What is the difference between this and the thousands of other distractions?
I agree. When car radios were two knobs and a row of buttoms there was nothing to look at. Now we have radios with display screens, car controls with display screens, TVs in cars, and phones with screens that draw people's eyes away from their driving business.

The other distractions in the car are mostly people unless a bee gets in.

I'm a channel jumper - always looking for something else. I can do it by counting button pushes, but even that takes a hand off of the wheel. Cars are loaded with more visual distractions than ever before, and it's more than people can handle. Some of these are sanctioned distractions, but I'm guessing that they have about as much effect on reaction time as a couple of drinks would.

I'm not sure what the law is going to do, but if someone runs into me because they were texting I won't feel any more sympathy for them than I would for a drunk. I'll be on the horn to their insurance company - assuming that I survive - looking for a full accounting (because I know that my own insurance won't push that hard for me).
Dude

Winchester, VA

#7 Feb 1, 2013
CvilleMechEngr wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. When car radios were two knobs and a row of buttoms there was nothing to look at. Now we have radios with display screens, car controls with display screens, TVs in cars, and phones with screens that draw people's eyes away from their driving business.
The other distractions in the car are mostly people unless a bee gets in.
I'm a channel jumper - always looking for something else. I can do it by counting button pushes, but even that takes a hand off of the wheel. Cars are loaded with more visual distractions than ever before, and it's more than people can handle. Some of these are sanctioned distractions, but I'm guessing that they have about as much effect on reaction time as a couple of drinks would.
I'm not sure what the law is going to do, but if someone runs into me because they were texting I won't feel any more sympathy for them than I would for a drunk. I'll be on the horn to their insurance company - assuming that I survive - looking for a full accounting (because I know that my own insurance won't push that hard for me).
Or changing the song on their playlist because their phone is blue-toothed to their radio... Gone are the days of "cha-chunk"ing 8-tracks. I've seen people cross eyed and review mirror driving to light cigarettes, and who hasn't hopped around a spilt drink, never mind a cup of coffee; I can't imagine a dropped cigarette or the "cherry." Eye-liner, lap tops, newspapers, where does it end? I guess it begins with texting, say good-bye to the rest.
NormanT

Black Canyon City, AZ

#8 Feb 1, 2013
Just another law that will be on top of the stack of laws already being ignored by so many, both the public and law enforcement.
RNR

Scottsville, VA

#9 Feb 1, 2013
If anybody is stupid enough to text while driving then I doubt they'll give a ratsass about there being a law against it.
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#10 Feb 1, 2013
next they'll ban lap diving

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NBC29 Charlottesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Fluvanna County Republicans Get out the Vote in... (Sep '12) Apr 19 Lester 52
News Perrone Robotics Demonstrates Newest Technology... Apr 17 Globalism is Crime 3
News Kaine Brings Re-Election Campaign to Charlottes... Apr 9 Thomas 1
News Albemarle Man Wanted in Fluvanna Burglary - NBC... (Nov '11) Apr 4 peanut 21
News Group Raises Confederate Flag Near I-64 in Loui... Apr 2 No Democrat ... 2
News Lawsuits vs. big oil lead to court lessons on c... Mar '18 Solarman 1
News Officer Recruitment Down 50% in Charlottesville... Mar '18 Unclean Spirits 3