"Help Save the Next Girl" Campaigns i...

"Help Save the Next Girl" Campaigns in North Garden - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports...

There are 46 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Sep 30, 2012, titled "Help Save the Next Girl" Campaigns in North Garden - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports.... In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

October 17 marks three years since the night Virginia Tech student Morgan Harrington disappeared after attending a concert at the John Paul Jones Arena.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
No More Pablum

Charlottesville, VA

#1 Oct 1, 2012
Save the next girl by telling her not to hitch hike and accept rides from strangers when she is blind drunk.
Some who cares

Charlottesville, VA

#2 Oct 1, 2012
Should you mention it to the police if a person only looks somewhat similar?
CvilleGordo

Palmyra, VA

#3 Oct 1, 2012
Some who cares wrote:
Should you mention it to the police if a person only looks somewhat similar?
Similar to Morgan?
Nonsense

Mineral, VA

#4 Oct 1, 2012
Save the next girl by catching Morgan's killer and assuming he's the only creep on earth who abducts and murders? They want justice and that's completely understandable, but this save the next girl campaign is a bit off in my opinion. It seems they are frustrated with the official investigation and are looking for ways to get volunteers involved under this save the next girl guise. They should call it "justice for all" or something. Taking Morgan's killer off the street won't save the next girl who makes a few poor decisions under some unfortunate circumstances.
Albemarle Resident

Charlottesville, VA

#5 Oct 1, 2012
If it was my daughter this happened to, I would never stop trying to find the killer. Whether the young lady made bad choices or not is irrelevant now. There is a murdering creep out there who needs to be found. This animal puts his beastly desires ahead of another person's very life. I applaud Morgan's parents and all of the volunteers who refuse to let this case go away.
wondering

Charlottesville, VA

#6 Oct 1, 2012
After Morgan's killer is caught, will they keep promoting Help Save the Next Girl or is it mostly just about Morgan? Seems like a pretty big undertaking since there are millions of bad guys out, there all over the world. It should really be about educating girls everywhere; encouraging them to behave responsibly and look out for each other AT ALL TIMES. Sort of like preventative medicine.
Today

Charlottesville, VA

#7 Oct 1, 2012
wondering wrote:
After Morgan's killer is caught, will they keep promoting Help Save the Next Girl or is it mostly just about Morgan? Seems like a pretty big undertaking since there are millions of bad guys out, there all over the world. It should really be about educating girls everywhere; encouraging them to behave responsibly and look out for each other AT ALL TIMES. Sort of like preventative medicine.
"Wondering," that is what "Help Save the Next Girl" is mainly about - education. They have a student branch at Virginia Tech. They are coordinating with the Girl Scouts to educate younger girls. But, they are also trying to keep the facts regarding Morgan's case alive to the community so that if someone may know something, they might remember or realize that what they know is significant. Bringing this murderer to justice will save another woman somewhere because he isn't likely to stop attacking.

He may not be here anymore, but he was here on October 17, 2009. He may have moved here and stayed a few years after the first attack in Fairfax. Someone may have lived next to the man and not realize it. If the police had an address of where someone lived or worked that may have looked like this guy, maybe he looked scratched or bruised at that time in 2009, it would be a great help to this case. The person just needs to put it together that they may have known this guy in the sketch and call in a tip, no matter how much they think it can't be the person they knew.

“Keeping life realistic”

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#8 Oct 1, 2012
If it is proven that there is no killer, or even if a suspect is found, hopefully this whole sideshow act will be put to rest, or at least out of the public eye.
Kenny will have nothing else to do if his "crusade" is over, and the Harringtons can go back to doing what strange little things they may do when not in the public eye.
The whole area can gotten desensitized to the situation at this point and just change the channel at this point.
All we know is they're looking for a "black guy with DNA" who may or may not have had anything to do with the disappearance in the first place.
wondering

Charlottesville, VA

#9 Oct 1, 2012
Today, you're right. If this even saves one girl it may be enough for the Harringtons. I'm afraid, though, that it will take another assault by this guy. And unfortunately it could be anywhere in this country. Remember the serial rapist here in Charlottesville...no one knew who he was. He was a loner when it came to his rapes and assaults. His co-workers wouldn't have guessed, and neither did his wife or four kids. Hopefully luck will run with the Harringtons, though, and this guy will be caught. Then they can pass the torch.
CvilleGordo

Palmyra, VA

#10 Oct 1, 2012
As always, ad nauseum; continued shrill, unfounded assumptions that there is an "animal with beastly desires" out there who had anything to do with Morgan's death at all. As always, I say that drugs and alcohol killed Morgan; not a boogeyman.
On with the Show

Arlington, VA

#11 Oct 1, 2012
Hey, at least the civil suit is finally moving! RMC was finally served, almost a year after Gil filed her suit. Can't wait to see what comes of it.
wondering

Charlottesville, VA

#12 Oct 2, 2012
I remember the suit, but not the specifics. Is she suing for information?
CvilleGordo

Palmyra, VA

#13 Oct 2, 2012
On with the Show wrote:
Hey, at least the civil suit is finally moving! RMC was finally served, almost a year after Gil filed her suit. Can't wait to see what comes of it.
You are confused.
Red Herring

Brooklyn, NY

#14 Oct 2, 2012
wondering wrote:
I remember the suit, but not the specifics. Is she suing for information?
The suit alleges that the security company breached their duty to protect Morgan by failing to let her back in (and also not treating her injury). Says they should have known she needed assistance. Having been refused reentry, she suffered a horrible death. So it's kind of a wrongful death suit.

Gil filed the original complaint on oct 11, 2011 to beat the 2 year statute of limitations. Then she almost went a whole year before serving the papers. I think (but a legal mind can correct this) virginia civil law gives RMC 30 days to respond. Not 100% sure on that one. But RMC has had almost a year to get their "contributory negligence" ducks in a row. Should be easy to show how Morgan's actions contributed -- IF it's even fair to say that the reason she is dead is because she was denied reentry. Her own choices after leaving the arena (hitch hiking, for example) were huge factors in determining the outcome. Had she made different choices (gone to sit inthe UVA library, gone to a coffee shop, stayed near the arena, sat in her car, etc.) she would likely still be here.

I don't see a way around that for the Harringtons. They won't win any $$$.
Red Herring

Brooklyn, NY

#15 Oct 2, 2012
Could be 20 days. I guess it would say it on the summons. They can ask for more time of course. Or for a change of venue. A "demurrer" would state that the allegations are not legally suficient for a suit (maybe the stretch of logic that her death is a direct result of being denied reentry, as though it were cause and effect). Or they can answer thecomplaint, in which case they have to deny all allegations, or anything they don't deny will be demed to be true. And, in their answer, they will have to raise contributory negligence and "assumption of risk" and whatever else they plan to argue. So maybe we are just days away from movement.

Looks like they were served on sept. 21, so 20 calendar days would put it at the oct. 11 filing anniversaryi 30 days would take it t oct. 21. Nothing lands squarely on the date of Morgan's disappearance (and we presume death) on oct. 17.
wondering

Charlottesville, VA

#16 Oct 2, 2012
Huh. Well it sounds like the contributory negligence thing might get in the way. I guess it's worth a try for the Harringtons. They probably just need someone to tell them what the heck happened, and they're not getting it from the killer. Will the clock start over when her killer is caught? I'm just thinking of Mrs. Love and Lexie, how they were able to file a bunch of civil suits after Huguely's criminal trial. I'm just wondering how many chances they Harringtons will have.
Red Herring

United States

#17 Oct 2, 2012
Not sure what the arena could tell them that would be helpful or comforting. They may have to release some details about Morgan's behavior that will clash with the shiney girl's PR image. They should ask for toxicology results from her autopsy to supplementwhatever else the friends have confessed to about her activities that night. Maybe it will shed light on her post-arena activities and whereabouts. But the police and the Harringtons already know what's in the autopsy.

So other than sullying poor Morgan's image (by making her human - it's not like anyone is going to stop liking her or wanting her killer caught when we learn more about her) I can't imagine there's anything the arena can offer up to help solve what sounds like a random crime done by a random guy who has struck before elsewhere in the state. I really don't know what Gil hopes to get out of it except $$$.
On with the Show

Arlington, VA

#18 Oct 5, 2012
Now there are 3 complaints showing in the court records -- two to Regional Marketing Concepts, and one to RMC Events Inc. only the first complaint shows a date of when it was served.

Any lawyers out there who can 'splain this process?
CvilleGordo

Palmyra, VA

#20 Oct 5, 2012
On with the Show wrote:
Now there are 3 complaints showing in the court records -- two to Regional Marketing Concepts, and one to RMC Events Inc. only the first complaint shows a date of when it was served.
Any lawyers out there who can 'splain this process?
Who cares?
On with the Show

Arlington, VA

#21 Oct 5, 2012
So with these multiple services, does it mean she is going after certain individuals within RMC? Will it be the little ol' security guards who turned Morgan away, or el presidente, or whom exactly has Gil set her sights on? It will be telling.

Answers might be due 21 days from service.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NBC29 Charlottesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Panhandling at Stop Lights Raises Enforcement Q... (May '13) Jun 16 DEVGOD 136
News Police Standoff at Lake Monticello Ends, Suspec... (Feb '13) Jun 8 Sick of Taxes 80
News 800-pound Rhode Island man says he's determined... (Nov '15) May '16 Three Days 3
News University of Mary Washington names new president Apr '16 Jennie Marie 1
News Staunton Police Investigate Murder-Suicide (May '09) Apr '16 Someone 9
News Kyle Long Arrested in Charlottesville (Jan '09) Apr '16 Go Blue Forever 83
News Greene County Church Arson Trial (Mar '11) Mar '16 stephen fox 43
More from around the web