Young Athletes and Sports Concussions

Young Athletes and Sports Concussions

There are 9 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Feb 9, 2013, titled Young Athletes and Sports Concussions. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

Taking a hard hit to the head is causing concussions in more young athletes. Virginia schools are preparing parents and young athletes to deal with the impacts of an increasing number of sports concussions caused by a hard hit to the head in competitive play.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

dude

Bassett, VA

#1 Feb 12, 2013
Save your kids and stop this stupid sports in schools! Kids are there to learn not play!
CLK

Charlottesville, VA

#2 Feb 12, 2013
You're an idiot. Kids NEED to play, and they need sports. They just don't need to play sports that are significantly more likely to cause concussions, such as football and ice hockey.
Red Herring

Charlottesville, VA

#3 Feb 13, 2013
Of course the risk of concussion makes football a giant liability to the public school system and everyone with health insurance.
The focus on concussion, however, is a ploy, a diversion from what is becoming medical certainty,-- it's the hundred and thousands of tackles without head impact that promotes brain disease. Old docs, old coaches, and old fans have known that for a long time.
If thousands of former NFL players are successful in showing that there has been medical certainty that degenerative brain disease is an expected outcome of tackle football,( and they will,) we can say goodbye to our lopsided devotion of money to athletics in the public schools.
Kids can play sports outside school on someone else's dime.
Public school athletics programs have been a massive waste. Now they're a massive threat to education resources.
Huh

Charlottesville, VA

#4 Feb 13, 2013
LOL. Do you see anything wrong with the older generations that played the games?! NO Soon were gona send our sons out to play powder puff football with ballet slippers on! Give me a break!
Jim

Harrisonburg, VA

#5 Feb 13, 2013
Red Herring wrote:
Of course the risk of concussion makes football a giant liability to the public school system and everyone with health insurance.
The focus on concussion, however, is a ploy, a diversion from what is becoming medical certainty,-- it's the hundred and thousands of tackles without head impact that promotes brain disease. Old docs, old coaches, and old fans have known that for a long time.
If thousands of former NFL players are successful in showing that there has been medical certainty that degenerative brain disease is an expected outcome of tackle football,( and they will,) we can say goodbye to our lopsided devotion of money to athletics in the public schools.
Kids can play sports outside school on someone else's dime.
Public school athletics programs have been a massive waste. Now they're a massive threat to education resources.
Thank you for hitting the nail on the head with this one.(pun intended):)
logic man

Charlottesville, VA

#6 Feb 13, 2013
CLK wrote:
You're an idiot. Kids NEED to play, and they need sports. They just don't need to play sports that are significantly more likely to cause concussions, such as football and ice hockey.
football and ice hockey cause less brain injuries than soccer.
Davedude

Silver Spring, MD

#7 Feb 13, 2013
And Troy Aikman said today "Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ".
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#8 Feb 13, 2013
logic man wrote:
<quoted text>football and ice hockey cause less brain injuries than soccer.
and boxing

we love our blood sports (is nascar and hunting a sport?) and $$$ ensures a constant supply, gotta train 'em at an ever early age to compete these days
Laughing

Charlottesville, VA

#9 Feb 13, 2013
huck wrote:
<quoted text>
and boxing
we love our blood sports (is nascar and hunting a sport?) and $$$ ensures a constant supply, gotta train 'em at an ever early age to compete these days
Nascrap is not, never was, and never will be a sport. It's cars going in circles, or better known as traffic. And hunting? The last hunter-athlete I saw couldn't run down the stairs of his double wide.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NBC29 Charlottesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Charlottesville Holds Veteran and Community Job... Sep 12 Mark 2
News Kaepernick, 49ers teammate kneel during nationa... (Sep '16) Sep 5 AllPharts 8
News Virginia State Police officer indicted on sex c... Aug '17 Brody B 3
News Vandals Spray Paint Culpeper Police Cars (Dec '08) Aug '17 2 of the 5 involved 4
News Augusta Woman No Longer Faces Animal Cruelty Ch... (May '12) Aug '17 Buk 8
News Officer who shot Australian woman felt called t... Jul '17 Indict Hillary NOW 12
News McConnell, Paul talk health care _ just not wit... Jul '17 my vote 242
More from around the web