Virginia School Boards Association Ag...

Virginia School Boards Association Against "Tebow Bill"

There are 58 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Jan 2, 2013, titled Virginia School Boards Association Against "Tebow Bill". In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

The Virginia School Boards Association is speaking out against another piece of legislation going into the 2013 general assembly session.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“Equal Opportunity Not Results!”

Since: Nov 08

Charlottesville

#1 Jan 5, 2013
I thought liberals were all about equal opportunity. I bet if Al Sharpton would have introduced this bill they would rush to approve it....
sorry

United States

#2 Jan 5, 2013
If you are too good for a public education, you are too good for public education sports.
Teacher

Charlottesville, VA

#3 Jan 5, 2013
Well put sorry.
Andrea

Charlottesville, VA

#4 Jan 5, 2013
I am a big Tebow fan, but I strongly feel if a child cannot attend our public schools then they should not be allowed to participate in our high school sports as they are taking an opportunity away from our children who do attend public schools. Most of the home schooled children don't attend public schools because they either can't handle the large numbers in the classrooms or their parents want to shelter them from every day life happenings. My children attend public schools and are doing just fine and I attended public schools and am doing just fine.
Da Troof

Charlottesville, VA

#5 Jan 5, 2013
In a nod to those extremists who would do away with public schooling altogether, Rob Bell trots this garbage bill out every year. The folks who support thos nonsense also supported allowing private school kids to play sports at the public schools that they chose NOT to attend. Unbelievable.
Homeschool Mom

Mobile, AL

#6 Jan 5, 2013
Teacher wrote:
Well put sorry.
"Too good for a public education?" "Sorry" just apologized and put down the entire public school system!!! Haha!!! According to "Sorry" homeschooled kids are too smart for the public education system...and "Teacher" says that is "well put?" Are you kidding me? You're a teacher and...of course...spoke like a true liberal as the majority of teachers are. Always best to cut off and offend those who don't follow the herd unthinkingly like publicly educated people are trained to do.

We work hard to educate our children at home. I work outside the home and we own a business and still we educate our children. Our tax dollars pay your salary "Teacher" and pay for everyone else's children to go to the school where you teach. We are not taking any services from the school AT ALL. Our children are smart, well-mannered, well-spoken, athletic, compassionate, and giving. I would stack my child's education and social adjustment against any child that you have ever taught "Teacher." I don't judge you or public school parents for wanting to have their children go to public school yet we are ALWAYS judged by public school "people." Better be careful what you ask for because if our kids can't play sports in the schools that we pay taxes to our next step will be for us to introduce legislation that our tax dollars shouldn't go to support the school that we don't attend. IF YOU DON'T WANT US, STOP TAKING OUR TAX DOLLARS.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Homeschool Mom

Mobile, AL

#7 Jan 5, 2013
Andrea, most of us homeschool because we want a better education for our children. You have a huge misconception as to why we homeschool. We can't shield our children from society! We go to church...there are divorces, deaths, alcoholics, and drug-abusers all around us. Our extended families have gay couples and unplanned pregnancies and car wrecks and illnesses and grandfathers with dementia! Protect them from society?! It's all around us!

What we have chosen to do is sacrifice a great deal of money from a second income and teach our children at home. Twenty-five kids in a classroom is too many. I've been in those classrooms. Teacher's themselves tell me that NONE of the children get the quality of education that they should get because they'll have two or three discipline problems in the classroom, tons of administrative issues, etc. WE HAVE CHOSEN TO SACRIFICE FINANCIALLY SO OUR CHILDREN CAN GET A GOOD EDUCATION...NOT TO "SHIELD" THEM FROM LIFE!!

Andrea wrote:
I am a big Tebow fan, but I strongly feel if a child cannot attend our public schools then they should not be allowed to participate in our high school sports as they are taking an opportunity away from our children who do attend public schools. Most of the home schooled children don't attend public schools because they either can't handle the large numbers in the classrooms or their parents want to shelter them from every day life happenings. My children attend public schools and are doing just fine and I attended public schools and am doing just fine.
Homeschool Mom

Mobile, AL

#8 Jan 5, 2013
You are wrong. Rob Bell is not trotting out "this garbage bill" in a nod to extremists. I have been homeschooling for years and have not yet met a single homeschool family that wants to do away with public education. Stop trying to cause hate and discontent between homeschoolers and public schoolers. He brings this bill out because WE PAY HUGE TAX DOLLARS TO PUBLIC SCHOOLS.
Da Troof wrote:
In a nod to those extremists who would do away with public schooling altogether, Rob Bell trots this garbage bill out every year. The folks who support thos nonsense also supported allowing private school kids to play sports at the public schools that they chose NOT to attend. Unbelievable.
NormanT

Black Canyon City, AZ

#9 Jan 5, 2013
Let the kids play. What's the worse that can happen, some high school kid gets bumped for a better player?
Confused

Minneapolis, MN

#10 Jan 5, 2013
Clearly it's not about the education though. This is strictly sports related. So while you can say all you want up there, how does it tie in with allowing them to participate in the sports? I just don't think it's fair to the students who do attend the school and can't represent the school because other students are coming in and taking the spots.
public ed advocate

United States

#11 Jan 5, 2013
Homeschool Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
"Too good for a public education?" "Sorry" just apologized and put down the entire public school system!!! Haha!!! According to "Sorry" homeschooled kids are too smart for the public education system...and "Teacher" says that is "well put?" Are you kidding me? You're a teacher and...of course...spoke like a true liberal as the majority of teachers are. Always best to cut off and offend those who don't follow the herd unthinkingly like publicly educated people are trained to do.
We work hard to educate our children at home. I work outside the home and we own a business and still we educate our children. Our tax dollars pay your salary "Teacher" .and pay for everyone else's children to go to the school where you teach. We are not taking any services from the school AT ALL. Our children are smart, well-mannered, well-spoken, athletic, compassionate, and giving. I would stack my child's education and social adjustment against any child that you have ever taught "Teacher." I don't judge you or public school parents for wanting to have their children go to public school yet we are ALWAYS judged by public school "people." Better be careful what you ask for because if our kids can't play sports in the schools that we pay taxes to our next step will be for us to introduce legislation that our tax dollars shouldn't go to support the school that we don't attend. IF YOU DON'T WANT US, STOP TAKING OUR TAX DOLLARS.
as many may not know there are numerous reasons parents choose to home school their children. I have seen religious fanatics that think public schools are the root of all evil as well as parents that made the choice due to very valid reasons such as mental or health issues and everything in between. unfortunately many school officials have stereo typed home school kids into the first group which are more than likely the last to seek the sport participation. my take is get over it and let them participate if the parents are tax payers. and the kids meet the appropriate academic standards.
Homeschool Mom

Mobile, AL

#12 Jan 5, 2013
I don't see what's not fair about it. Homeschool parents pay a lot of taxes too. Public schools benefit greatly from property taxes being paid by the many homeschooled families in the state. Most homeschool families receive no services from the schools. Some may think it's not fair to the student who attends the public school and can't play a sport because the homeschool student is a better player. But we think it's not fair to us because we, personally, pay property taxes and various business taxes that go to the schools; yet, our children receive no services for this money. So the money that the state gets from us that isn't used to educate our children, is used to educate other people's public school children.

Homeschool families have benefited the public education system enormously in terms of taxes paid yet services aren't used.
Confused wrote:
Clearly it's not about the education though. This is strictly sports related. So while you can say all you want up there, how does it tie in with allowing them to participate in the sports? I just don't think it's fair to the students who do attend the school and can't represent the school because other students are coming in and taking the spots.
G Luv

Marietta, GA

#13 Jan 5, 2013
Homeschool Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
You're a teacher and...of course...spoke like a true liberal as the majority of teachers are. Always best to cut off and offend those who don't follow the herd unthinkingly like publicly educated people are trained to do.
Oh, my.
G Luv

Marietta, GA

#14 Jan 5, 2013
It's not really about taxes, or dedication to public school, or any of that. By definition, public schools are a public resource; their purpose is to educate and enrich the citizens. That someone chooses to educate their child at home for many subjects doesn't mean they forfeit the option to use public school resources for other subjects where the school can provide a better service, whether it be Spanish, advanced calculus, or football.
Homeschool Mom

Mobile, AL

#15 Jan 5, 2013
Oh yes. "Oh, my" is exactly what I thought when I read the comment "well put" by the public school teacher to the comment deriding those that choose to homeschool their children. The teacher is saying the same ol' thing (i.e. unthinkingly following the herd) that I would expect from someone who thinks "there should be no education except public education." I read, see, and feel the underlying hostility toward the homeschool choice and it grows year by year as people like "Teacher" who is in a position of authority in our society feed it by comments like "well put." That persons comment was mean and hateful and "Teacher" validated it. So, Yes. "Oh, my" is exactly right.
G Luv wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, my.
Confused

Minneapolis, MN

#16 Jan 6, 2013
Homeschool Mom wrote:
I don't see what's not fair about it. Homeschool parents pay a lot of taxes too. Public schools benefit greatly from property taxes being paid by the many homeschooled families in the state. Most homeschool families receive no services from the schools. Some may think it's not fair to the student who attends the public school and can't play a sport because the homeschool student is a better player. But we think it's not fair to us because we, personally, pay property taxes and various business taxes that go to the schools; yet, our children receive no services for this money. So the money that the state gets from us that isn't used to educate our children, is used to educate other people's public school children.
Homeschool families have benefited the public education system enormously in terms of taxes paid yet services aren't used.
<quoted text>
Thank you.
common sense

Floyd, VA

#17 Jan 6, 2013
Anybody that pays property taxes or buys lottery tickets that fund the schools should be eligible to play school sports or participate in any public school event, although I don't know why they would want to and don't foresee kids lining up to do this in great numbers. Public schools aren't worth the money put into them nowadays. Anybody that buys lottery tickets that fund schools should be able to play sports, too.
Cvillian

Charlottesville, VA

#18 Jan 6, 2013
HomeSchool Mom - your argument does not hold water. I am a 50yo gay man without children. Using your logic, I presume that you would argue that all childless individuals should be exempt from paying taxes (my senior citizen parents would appreciate that too). Or perhaps you and Delegate Bell would support my LGBT friends' efforts to adopt children and becoming parents of school-aged children too?

All of society benefits from a strong public education system. You choose another option for your kids; you have the right to. But you must accept the consequences of your choice.
everyonepays

Palmyra, VA

#19 Jan 6, 2013
Homeschool Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
We work hard to educate our children at home. I work outside the home and we own a business and still we educate our children. Our tax dollars pay your salary "Teacher" and pay for everyone else's children to go to the school where you teach. We are not taking any services from the school AT ALL. Our children are smart, well-mannered, well-spoken, athletic, compassionate, and giving. I would stack my child's education and social adjustment against any child that you have ever taught "Teacher." I don't judge you or public school parents for wanting to have their children go to public school yet we are ALWAYS judged by public school "people." Better be careful what you ask for because if our kids can't play sports in the schools that we pay taxes to our next step will be for us to introduce legislation that our tax dollars shouldn't go to support the school that we don't attend. IF YOU DON'T WANT US, STOP TAKING OUR TAX DOLLARS.
the broken record plays again. Everyone pays for public school, even those that are retired who never had children. Because a public education is guarenteed by the law, a public education system is one of the foundation blocks that our society is built on. I support your right, choice and ability to home school your children. However, home school children DO NOT have to abide by the same rules, expectations and guidelines that public school student athletes have to deal with. One example, and there are many, is when a student athlete does not get home until close to Midnight. They hopped on a bus at end of school day to travel to a contest. Bus ride home, and now its time to study. Here is the kicker, they have to be at School at 8:30 AM. ready to meet the expectations of the student athlete. The homeschooler can roll out of bed at 11:00 AM, study for a couple of hours and ready to meet their "team" the next afternoon. How is that fair? It's not. How does that not teach reinforce elitism? It does. I speak from experience, have seen this scenario with all three of our adult children. Life of a student athlete taught them time management and hard work. Finish where I started, I support your right and choice to home school your child. But it's your choice. Hopefully you are teaching your children that choices have consequences. Here is an excellent example of the life lesson. Oh and one more thing, I too own my own business, and am a strong conservative but I do not agree with most conservatives on this issue.
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#20 Jan 6, 2013
C-Ville Patriot wrote:
I thought liberals were all about equal opportunity. I bet if Al Sharpton would have introduced this bill they would rush to approve it....
Rob Bell is a liberal?

As much as I find many of his positions odious, I agree with this one. Taxpayers have a 'right', just like their neighbor. Be thankful home schooled and private school kids are saving the public schools money. If they all attended, your tax rate just went up.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NBC29 Charlottesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Charlottesville Police Arrest Man Accused of Fraud (Apr '13) Tue DonaldMcDumpfHeil... 15
News Kaepernick, 49ers teammate kneel during nationa... (Sep '16) Oct 16 Pick a fart 20
News Fluvanna Fugitive Turns Himself In Across the C... (Jan '12) Oct 11 Facts 10
News Staiger Seeks Fluvanna County School Board Seat... Oct 8 Vote 8
News Fluvanna County Republicans Get out the Vote in... (Sep '12) Oct 6 el rey de los cam... 43
News Obama Campaign Opens Fluvanna Office - NBC29 WV... (Aug '12) Oct 2 James 60
News Fluvanna Man Stuck in Home Due to Downed Power ... (Mar '13) Sep 28 Merica 52
More from around the web