Governor Calls for Moment of Silence ...

Governor Calls for Moment of Silence to Commemorate Sandy Hook V - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA...

There are 26 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Dec 20, 2012, titled Governor Calls for Moment of Silence to Commemorate Sandy Hook V - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA.... In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

Governor Bob McDonnell today issued a call for Virginians to join in a moment of silence to commemorate the victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary shooting exactly one week after the shootings occurred.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
thinking free

Charlottesville, VA

#1 Dec 20, 2012
This from a guy who spouted trash about gun rights the next day. What a jerk.
Ice Dogg

Cumming, GA

#2 Dec 20, 2012
All churches that can should ring their bell 26 times in remembrance of the victims at the same time, nationwide, tomorrow.
Just Checking

Herndon, VA

#3 Dec 20, 2012
As long as nobody in the congregation owns a gun.....right?
red nuckleberry

Fairfield, VA

#4 Dec 20, 2012
It may be time to discuss arming preachers.
Reverend Tax Dodge

Buckingham, VA

#5 Dec 20, 2012
Tragedy aside it would be a great idea for all the showboating clowns of both parties to practice silence more often.

I would like to see the church bell ring once for every person in Virginia that has died from a drug overdose but that would only cause the bell to crack after it gets beaten for a few years nonstop.
Local

United States

#6 Dec 20, 2012
thinking free wrote:
This from a guy who spouted trash about gun rights the next day. What a jerk.
Would you still call him a jerk if he DIDN'T call for a moment of silence? Or is he d*mned if he does and d*mned if he doesn't?
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#7 Dec 20, 2012
will this be before of after the pc nra announcement?
losermom

Charlottesville, VA

#8 Dec 20, 2012
can someone tell me why there are police at all the Albemarle schools? They were at Broadus Wood this morning and are at Jack Jouett they park behind the Albemarle High School and walk around the school. I am very concerned. thanks natalie
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#9 Dec 20, 2012
losermom wrote:
can someone tell me why there are police at all the Albemarle schools?
liberal gun laws
broadsided

Charlottesville, VA

#10 Dec 20, 2012
Seeing the most recent news story of the horrific violence in Newtown, I was shocked. Everyone was shocked.
We cried. We felt empathy. We gave comfort where we could; To friends, little ones... each other.
I thought I wasn't going to shed another tear. Then I read a story about the Golden Retriever "Comfort Dogs" being sent to Newtown to help out. THAT hit me like a ton of bricks! I cried harder than ever! The sight of Gods most perfect, innocent 'gifts' to the world...Kids and Dogs, dealing with tragedy of this magnitude was unbearable! They should be rolling in the grass laughing, or playing fetch, or cuddling in front of cartoons on a snow day...Anything....but not this.
I'm not even sure if what I am writing is legible or literate, but I have to write it down anyway.
There are shows in every media arena suggesting...trying to help, with ways to explain this to our children.
The truth is, no matter how many psychologists we hear, no matter how much we read, no matter how literate we are..There's nothing to say that can make sense...not to children... not to adults.
We can only apologize to all the children.
We're sorry you don't feel safer.
We're sorry we stole your childhood by making you fear when you should be carefree.
We're sorry we made you cry when you should be laughing.
We're sorry you have to think 'beware' when you go to school or the bus stop, instead of thinking who you'll get to swap lunches with.
We're sorry you have to wear I.D.'s and carry cell phones and be tracked like radar blips instead of human beings.
We're sorry you need to 'watch your backs' instead of watching fireflies.
We're sorry you need to be tutored in 'escape plans' instead of math.
We're sorry you're being told not to talk to strangers instead of smiling at them.
We're sorry we made such a mess out of things here.
We're sorry if even one of you has to cry yourself to sleep over anything worse than a lost toy.

God Speed! I hope you do better by the world than we have.

http://broadsided55.blogspot.com/2012/12/cry-...
Love the second

United States

#11 Dec 20, 2012
What we need is a moment of silence to remember the death of our constitutional rights to own guns, killed by the knee jerk reaction of liberals too cowardly to pick up a gun. Freedom is dead.
god-fearer

Luray, VA

#12 Dec 20, 2012
The underlying issue for Christians: are they following Jesus or not?

A key question: would the Jesus of the Biblical records ever arm himself to kill anyone else, even in self-defense?

There is no Biblical evidence that he would. In fact, the Biblical record is excruciatingly clear: Jesus gave himself over to the powers of government and the powers of religious fundamentalism that called for his death. And, he was crucified.

Does anyone doubt that Jesus could have dis-armed anyone and everyone? Could have repulsed any contingent coming to harm him?

Nonetheless, radical gun advocates/idolators 'dress up' their radicalism in a 'Jesus suit' in many different ways:

e.g. we've heard a ridiculous commentary on the famous Psalm 23. The Psalmist says that God is like the shepherd guiding and protecting -'your rod and your staff comfort me'; the radical gun idolator said that 'rod' here means 'gun'. Which is not only blasphemous, but stupid: 500BC shepherds did not have guns!

And, recently Richard Land, former head of Southern Baptists, gave an interview:

Interviewer: What's the New Testament justification for owning firearms?

LAND: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Love your neighbor as yourself. If you see your neighbor being attacked, if you see your neighbor in danger, you have an obligation and a responsibility to do what you can to protect them.

Interviewer: Do you have an obligation to turn the other cheek?

LAND: I think I do, personally. But the difference between personal and defending others, you know, it's the justification that's used for soldiers and others and police officers, and I think for private citizens as well.

If I find that someone is trying to do harm to someone else, I believe that I have a moral and Christian obligation to do what ever I can - with the least amount of violence necessary - but if necessary, lethal violence to stop them from harming others. That's loving my neighbor as myself. That's doing unto others as I would have them do unto me.

[ in other words, kill others, to save me : which is exactly the opposite of Jesus example - sound like the Southern Baptist leader is a gun idolator, too?]
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#13 Dec 20, 2012
god-fearer wrote:
The underlying issue for Christians: are they following Jesus or not?
A key question: would the Jesus of the Biblical records ever arm himself to kill anyone else, even in self-defense?
There is no Biblical evidence that he would. In fact, the Biblical record is excruciatingly clear: Jesus gave himself over to the powers of government and the powers of religious fundamentalism that called for his death. And, he was crucified.
Does anyone doubt that Jesus could have dis-armed anyone and everyone? Could have repulsed any contingent coming to harm him?
Nonetheless, radical gun advocates/idolators 'dress up' their radicalism in a 'Jesus suit' in many different ways:
e.g. we've heard a ridiculous commentary on the famous Psalm 23. The Psalmist says that God is like the shepherd guiding and protecting -'your rod and your staff comfort me'; the radical gun idolator said that 'rod' here means 'gun'. Which is not only blasphemous, but stupid: 500BC shepherds did not have guns!
And, recently Richard Land, former head of Southern Baptists, gave an interview:
Interviewer: What's the New Testament justification for owning firearms?
LAND: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Love your neighbor as yourself. If you see your neighbor being attacked, if you see your neighbor in danger, you have an obligation and a responsibility to do what you can to protect them.
Interviewer: Do you have an obligation to turn the other cheek?
LAND: I think I do, personally. But the difference between personal and defending others, you know, it's the justification that's used for soldiers and others and police officers, and I think for private citizens as well.
If I find that someone is trying to do harm to someone else, I believe that I have a moral and Christian obligation to do what ever I can - with the least amount of violence necessary - but if necessary, lethal violence to stop them from harming others. That's loving my neighbor as myself. That's doing unto others as I would have them do unto me.
[ in other words, kill others, to save me : which is exactly the opposite of Jesus example - sound like the Southern Baptist leader is a gun idolator, too?]
a pacifist amidst those who would ridcule
Take A Nutter Home

Buckingham, VA

#14 Dec 20, 2012
huck wrote:
<quoted text>
a pacifist amidst those who would ridcule
If only every pacifist would give shelter to a crazy in their home think how beautiful the world would be.
god-fearer

Luray, VA

#15 Dec 20, 2012
Love the second wrote:
What we need is a moment of silence to remember the death of our constitutional rights to own guns, killed by the knee jerk reaction of liberals too cowardly to pick up a gun. Freedom is dead.
Yes, we want to help protect the Constitutional right under the Second Amendment.

But, guess what, the US Supreme Court's statement about the meaning of that right is this and this only: there is a right for an individual - regardless of being a member of a military or not - to own firearm(s) for purpose of self defense, in the individual's home.

And, the Supreme Court states clearly that there can be many different sorts of limitations beyond this.

So, dearie, your protected Second Amendment right is very limited and not at all what you 'pretend' that it is: it IS NOT a right to carry in public places, it IS NOT a right to carry concealed, it IS NOT a right to keep hidden from the public that you have a license to own or license to carry or any other permit or license, it IS NOT a right to own any number of firearms without limit, it IS NOT a right to own any sort of firearm that you like (automatic, large magazine, assault, military, etc), it IS NOT a right at all to 'bullets'- there is absolutely no mention of the word 'bullet' or 'ammunition' in the Constitution.

So, dearie, all these other things that you 'pretend' are your rights, are NOT RIGHTS, they are GIVEAWAYS FROM THE VIRGINIA LEGISLATURE, at the expense of other taxpayers.

**** should other taxpayers pay for these giveaways to people who want things that are not their rights, but are merely their WANTS! and FOND WISHES!**** should other taxpayers pay for your gun hobby? or your 'prepping'/'hoarding' of weapons?

Where are the TEA Parties protesting these giveaways to special interests?

ABSOLUTELY, we want to protect your Constitutional rights. NOT your gun hobbies, your 'prepping', your gun fetishes, your gun perversions, etc. Your gun perversions and no different than other pornographic perversions: which are, of course protected under the First Amendment. But, we don't pay for other people's porn hobbies, porn hoarding, porn addictions, etc

So, stop demanding Virginia taxpayers bear the burden of your gun hobbies, gun hoarding, and gun addictions!
citizen

Buckingham, VA

#16 Dec 20, 2012
losermom wrote:
can someone tell me why there are police at all the Albemarle schools? They were at Broadus Wood this morning and are at Jack Jouett they park behind the Albemarle High School and walk around the school. I am very concerned. thanks natalie
Maybe they are trying to be proactive about arresting the younger street pharmacists?
Local

United States

#17 Dec 20, 2012
god-fearer wrote:
The underlying issue for Christians: are they following Jesus or not?
A key question: would the Jesus of the Biblical records ever arm himself to kill anyone else, even in self-defense?
There is no Biblical evidence that he would. In fact, the Biblical record is excruciatingly clear: Jesus gave himself over to the powers of government and the powers of religious fundamentalism that called for his death. And, he was crucified.
Does anyone doubt that Jesus could have dis-armed anyone and everyone? Could have repulsed any contingent coming to harm him?
Nonetheless, radical gun advocates/idolators 'dress up' their radicalism in a 'Jesus suit' in many different ways:
e.g. we've heard a ridiculous commentary on the famous Psalm 23. The Psalmist says that God is like the shepherd guiding and protecting -'your rod and your staff comfort me'; the radical gun idolator said that 'rod' here means 'gun'. Which is not only blasphemous, but stupid: 500BC shepherds did not have guns!
And, recently Richard Land, former head of Southern Baptists, gave an interview:
Interviewer: What's the New Testament justification for owning firearms?
LAND: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Love your neighbor as yourself. If you see your neighbor being attacked, if you see your neighbor in danger, you have an obligation and a responsibility to do what you can to protect them.
Interviewer: Do you have an obligation to turn the other cheek?
LAND: I think I do, personally. But the difference between personal and defending others, you know, it's the justification that's used for soldiers and others and police officers, and I think for private citizens as well.
If I find that someone is trying to do harm to someone else, I believe that I have a moral and Christian obligation to do what ever I can - with the least amount of violence necessary - but if necessary, lethal violence to stop them from harming others. That's loving my neighbor as myself. That's doing unto others as I would have them do unto me.
[ in other words, kill others, to save me : which is exactly the opposite of Jesus example - sound like the Southern Baptist leader is a gun idolator, too?]
Okay... so... I would be REALLY interested in hearing what YOUR advice would be for someone whose family and themselves are threatened with deadly force.
Local

United States

#18 Dec 20, 2012
god-fearer wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, we want to help protect the Constitutional right under the Second Amendment.
But, guess what, the US Supreme Court's statement about the meaning of that right is this and this only: there is a right for an individual - regardless of being a member of a military or not - to own firearm(s) for purpose of self defense, in the individual's home.
And, the Supreme Court states clearly that there can be many different sorts of limitations beyond this.
So, dearie, your protected Second Amendment right is very limited and not at all what you 'pretend' that it is: it IS NOT a right to carry in public places, it IS NOT a right to carry concealed, it IS NOT a right to keep hidden from the public that you have a license to own or license to carry or any other permit or license, it IS NOT a right to own any number of firearms without limit, it IS NOT a right to own any sort of firearm that you like (automatic, large magazine, assault, military, etc), it IS NOT a right at all to 'bullets'- there is absolutely no mention of the word 'bullet' or 'ammunition' in the Constitution.
So, dearie, all these other things that you 'pretend' are your rights, are NOT RIGHTS, they are GIVEAWAYS FROM THE VIRGINIA LEGISLATURE, at the expense of other taxpayers.
**** should other taxpayers pay for these giveaways to people who want things that are not their rights, but are merely their WANTS! and FOND WISHES!**** should other taxpayers pay for your gun hobby? or your 'prepping'/'hoarding' of weapons?
Where are the TEA Parties protesting these giveaways to special interests?
ABSOLUTELY, we want to protect your Constitutional rights. NOT your gun hobbies, your 'prepping', your gun fetishes, your gun perversions, etc. Your gun perversions and no different than other pornographic perversions: which are, of course protected under the First Amendment. But, we don't pay for other people's porn hobbies, porn hoarding, porn addictions, etc
So, stop demanding Virginia taxpayers bear the burden of your gun hobbies, gun hoarding, and gun addictions!
You're right... because of the supreme court ruling, criminals never take their guns outside of their homes and use them to threaten or kill people who are outside of THEIR homes.

I stand corrected.

Well, I feel safer now. I think I'll leave my doors unlocked at night and let my kids play outdoors in the neighborhood at night as well.

All is right with the world.
god-fearer

Luray, VA

#19 Dec 20, 2012
Local wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay... so... I would be REALLY interested in hearing what YOUR advice would be for someone whose family and themselves are threatened with deadly force.
First, know the Lord. And, at every turn, call upon the name of the Lord. Struggle with every decision with the Lord with you. Can you create circumstances that deter interest that others may conceive to attacking you? Can you create circumstances that help protect you from attackers that does not destroy other life? Can you be involved in community and society in ways that sustain values of equity - so that none are deprived - and values of nurturing others - so that we care what happens to each other - etc?

Obviously, these are projects of communities and societies and projects that take lifetimes and generations. Are you involved in these? The 'American' belief that 'we must all rely on self and no one else' is an idolatrous belief. This idolatrous belief - to protect self above all others' need - is a idolatry that - like all idols - leads many away from the Lord.
Local

United States

#20 Dec 20, 2012
god-fearer wrote:
<quoted text>
..Can you create circumstances that deter interest that others may conceive to attacking you?

Can you create circumstances that help protect you from attackers that does not destroy other life?

Can you be involved in community and society in ways that sustain values of equity - so that none are deprived - and values of nurturing others - so that we care what happens to each other - etc?

Are you involved in these?
I'd like to address the questions one by one.

1. In the real world, I'm polite and kind to everyone regardless of...well... anything. I try to first resolve conflict with dialogue. I don't like conflict period and try to avoid it, regardless of whether I'm armed. However, the mere fact that I have a job, wife, children and a house means that I have something that a disturbed individual thinks is worth more than family's or my own lives. Or, we could be the target of someone who just wants to kill for the sake of killing.

2. I try to always be aware of my surroundings and avoid circumstances that risk confrontation (regardless of whether I'm armed) or danger to myself or family. I lock my doors, keep valuables out of plain sight and don't tell the world what possessions I have. I don't give out personally identifiable information and destroy anything that I discard that may contain it. My firearms have never taken or destroyed life and I pray that I NEVER have to. My firearms are an absolute last resort that I hope will never be used for any other purpose other than shooting sports. Yet, I plan to always be prepared for the worst, but hope and work for the best.

3. Yes, I am involved in community activities and services that help others, from children to the elderly and helping others is the main reason I became involved.

I also believe that God helps those who help themselves. I put my family's life above my own, but anyone who wishes to take those lives I promise will not do so easily. However, my firearms will always be an absolute last resort if there is no alternative.

I have stared down the barrel of a gun pointed at me by someone willing to use it (and used dialogue to avoid being shot).

I have been shot at.

I don't take it lightly, but will not do so lying down.

I have never pointed a gun at anyone.

I don't want to point a gun at anyone.

I don't want to take a life, because it can't be returned.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NBC29 Charlottesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Businesses Feeling Positive Impact of UVA Gradu... Mon UVA Propaganda Mill 1
News Upgrades at Area Water Treatment Systems Could ... May 11 Bob 1
News UVA Honored on National '100 Great Hospitals' List May 9 Deb 2
News Charlottesville Business Teaching Ways to Survi... May 8 Globalism is Crime 1
News VDOT Working to Save Lives and Taxpayer Dollars... May 3 Luke 1
News Students Receiving Free and Reduced Lunch in Al... (May '13) Apr 26 I am RIGHT 127
News Fluvanna County Republicans Get out the Vote in... (Sep '12) Apr '18 Lester 52