Charlottesville Eyes Marijuana Laws -...

Charlottesville Eyes Marijuana Laws - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports and Weather

There are 42 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Dec 11, 2012, titled Charlottesville Eyes Marijuana Laws - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports and Weather. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

Activists in Charlottesville aren't giving up on softening marijuana possession laws in the city, and they may have won an ally.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
HUMMMMM

United States

#1 Dec 11, 2012
I have never ever heard of any law enforcement officer having any trouble out of anyone who has been under the influence of marijuana.. Most you hear is alcohol and other substances that causes combativeness... just saying...
citizen

Charlottesville, VA

#2 Dec 11, 2012
The Internal Revenue Service is very interested in the earnings of the local dealers.

Take this to the federal level and let's see how many local Cheech and Chongs we can net.
City Clowncil

Cumming, GA

#3 Dec 11, 2012
City Council has no power whatsoever in changing a state law. State law forbids the posession of marijuana. State law also sets the fines and jail time. I don't for one minute think Police Chief Longo is going to tell his men not to enforce this state law. And based upon their attitudes toward marijuna, it would not surprise me to see council members smoking it during meetings in days to come. This entire country is going to hades in a handbasket.
thinking free

Charlottesville, VA

#4 Dec 11, 2012
City Clowncil wrote:
City Council has no power whatsoever in changing a state law. State law forbids the posession of marijuana. State law also sets the fines and jail time. I don't for one minute think Police Chief Longo is going to tell his men not to enforce this state law. And based upon their attitudes toward marijuna, it would not surprise me to see council members smoking it during meetings in days to come. This entire country is going to hades in a handbasket.
The cops a are too affraid to go after the crack market and Longos lugnuts just drive around all day with their cell phones plugged in their ears.
Dakota

Atlanta, GA

#5 Dec 11, 2012
City Clowncil wrote:
If their was anybody that seemed they needed a joint to calm down...it may be you lol .
Logan

Charlottesville, VA

#6 Dec 11, 2012
The city sets the minimum punishment for state/federal offences? That sounds odd to me. I know a locality can go stricter, but can they be more lenient then the state as a whole?

Personally I say legalize and tax soft drugs like caffeine, nicotine, alcohol and marijuana. Someone's life should not be ruined because they happened to choose a different soft drug then most others.
Taylor

Charlottesville, VA

#7 Dec 11, 2012
Nobody has been sent to jail for taking pleasure in leisurely activities such as listening to music, eating foods they love, or watching a good movie. You know why people aren't so often busted for pot possession? Because it doesn't turn them in to idiotic drunks that drive around or get in fights and destroy property, ruin marriages and lives, themselves, etc. People are legally allowed to buy poison sanctioned by the Government but our right to enjoy ourselves stops there.
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#8 Dec 11, 2012
Good idea. Why pay for swat teams and black hawks and overtime chasing plants? Not to mention footing the bill for jail time.
Colt 45

Warrenton, VA

#9 Dec 11, 2012
Taylor wrote:
Nobody has been sent to jail for taking pleasure in leisurely activities such as listening to music, eating foods they love, or watching a good movie. You know why people aren't so often busted for pot possession? Because it doesn't turn them in to idiotic drunks that drive around or get in fights and destroy property, ruin marriages and lives, themselves, etc. People are legally allowed to buy poison sanctioned by the Government but our right to enjoy ourselves stops there.
Great post,You hit the nail square on the head,I say legalize it and regulate the same as alcohol.Of the 2 million prisoners locked up one quarter of them are non-violent drug offenders that we have to take care of.
Chuckwagon

Miami, FL

#10 Dec 11, 2012
What about distilling your own spirits for home consumption. They already do it for wine and beer... Come on people, if your going to legalize weed you might as well show some love for the old white lightning....
Blinded by the light

Earlysville, VA

#11 Dec 11, 2012
Chuckwagon wrote:
What about distilling your own spirits for home consumption. They already do it for wine and beer... Come on people, if your going to legalize weed you might as well show some love for the old white lightning....
Maybe, just maybe it's because try as you may, short of tainting the product...you can't grow weed strong enough to cause the same problems you can with alcohol.. to strong to fast with shine leads to blindness, coma, death.. none of which can be contributed to marijuana..worse you'll get is a nasty temporary coughing fit, like the old saying goes.. God made Pot, Man made beer.. who do you trust?
thinking free

Charlottesville, VA

#12 Dec 11, 2012
Being in the Bible Belt its gonna take a while for the Bible thumpers to see the error of their ways, maybe. We live in a country of puritanical influence, Europe woke up, some day we will. This is such a non issue, legalise it, regulate it, sell it, tax it, everybody's happy. Never met some one who was addicted to pot, I've read about a lot of alcoholics who drive drunck and kill people, what does God say about that?
Cmon Man

Norfolk, VA

#13 Dec 11, 2012
thinking free wrote:
Being in the Bible Belt its gonna take a while for the Bible thumpers to see the error of their ways, maybe. We live in a country of puritanical influence, Europe woke up, some day we will. This is such a non issue, legalise it, regulate it, sell it, tax it, everybody's happy. Never met some one who was addicted to pot, I've read about a lot of alcoholics who drive drunck and kill people, what does God say about that?
Thinking Free. I am constantly amazed at how we can be in such agreement on some things and then totally apart on others that I see as completely related. I know waaaay too many christians who smoke weed like the proverbial chimney. The bible thumpers you bash are usually simply just pro law abiding type citizens, and I suppose that is a bad thing? We all agree that chemically, alchohol is a much more negatively impactful substance, however the issue is...do we really need more ways to fry our brains and detach from reality? Well, maybe from reality TV! BTW, I agree we should legalize marijuana. Just stop bashing christians, I'd give them the nod over the drug users/dealers you defend, if only for good intentions. Don't take my comments as anti "thinking free". I find your posts thoughtful and intelligent, and often I agree with your points. I just can't pin you down philosophically. Probably me.
Jim2051 Charlottesville

AOL

#15 Dec 11, 2012
Great.$500.00 fine up to 30 days in jail.Ex school teacher in Lynchburg gets 3 months for sex with a jevunile. As far as the fine and days I would guess where you were caught and how much that locality wants to drain your wallet for.Recently got a ticket for bad inspection sticker.$35.00. I said not bad until I had to pay $85.00 cost of court! All this City Police want to do is Harass people. Unsolved murders and missing people might as well forget that. To busy running radar to fill the city coffers and trying to bust a few old boys and girls for a few tokes!
thinking free

Charlottesville, VA

#16 Dec 11, 2012
Cmon Man wrote:
<quoted text>
Thinking Free. I am constantly amazed at how we can be in such agreement on some things and then totally apart on others that I see as completely related. I know waaaay too many christians who smoke weed like the proverbial chimney. The bible thumpers you bash are usually simply just pro law abiding type citizens, and I suppose that is a bad thing? We all agree that chemically, alchohol is a much more negatively impactful substance, however the issue is...do we really need more ways to fry our brains and detach from reality? Well, maybe from reality TV! BTW, I agree we should legalize marijuana. Just stop bashing christians, I'd give them the nod over the drug users/dealers you defend, if only for good intentions. Don't take my comments as anti "thinking free". I find your posts thoughtful and intelligent, and often I agree with your points. I just can't pin you down philosophically. Probably me.
We do live in the new world, but we have yet to catch up to Europe in treating each other as individuals and accepting the fact that humans are flawed. The church is the biggest obstacle I see as allowing us to be ourselves, good bad or indifferent, it does not preach tolerance quite the opposite, its the biggest force for intolerance and prejudice there is. Our culture is fast becoming secular and thats a good thing, we will catch up to Europe some day. Remember, Europe has been through all this before, we're about 250 years behind the curve in social development. bashing Christians as individuals is not a goal, its the church that denies mans faults and instills guilt and shame that erks me. As far as users I don't care, dealers should be tard and feathered until its legalised. I don't smoke the stuff my self, did a long time ago but gave it, just didn't see the need. Don't drink, don't do nothin, boring as hell but I have my books, some people smoke and drink to escape, I got my books.
JL GotRocks

Richmond, VA

#17 Dec 11, 2012
After decades of failure and billions of dollars, it's time for us to try something different. Regulating and taxing marijuana, as it's being tried in Washington and Colorado, can be a way forward.

How long will we continue to lock up our neighbors and co-workers for smoking marijuana? If you smoke in your house and don't bother anyone, it shouldn't be anyone's business - least of all the government's.
Shifflett 2 ffs 2 teas

Springfield, NJ

#18 Dec 11, 2012
I guess they might say no smoking & driving. Does it impair your driving like alcohol?
Revenue

Charlottesville, VA

#19 Dec 11, 2012
Will this affect the auto insurance rates we all pay? A joint should get a fine but the guy with a trunkful should be reported to the IRS.
Imagine That

Charlottesville, VA

#20 Dec 12, 2012
Having a dried up plant in your pocket can get you in trouble. Too funny.
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#23 Dec 12, 2012
for starters pot should be demoted from the fed's schedule one classification

http://www.weedist.com/wp-content/uploads/201...

is it really more dangerous than meth and coke?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NBC29 Charlottesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Charlottesville, Albemarle Co Join Program to R... Fri Solarman 1
News Charlottesville Police Arrest Man Accused of Fraud (Apr '13) Feb 10 Charlottesville N... 14
News Mall Day Care Takes Care Of The Kids (Nov '09) Feb 6 SoulShine 15
News Family of Teen Accused of Hitting Crowd with Ca... (May '11) Jan 23 Louisa10 19
News New Movie Theater Opens in Charlottesville (Jan '13) Jan 23 Rick 6
News Charlottesville Crews Respond to Bedroom Fire A... Dec '16 Linda 1
News Charlottesville Company May Buy Main Street Arena Dec '16 I Like Curling 1
More from around the web