Lawmakers Tackle Gun Control Legislation

Lawmakers Tackle Gun Control Legislation

There are 24 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Jan 16, 2013, titled Lawmakers Tackle Gun Control Legislation. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

Virginia lawmakers are tackling new gun legislation. Legislators in the Senate struck down a collection of gun control legislation Friday morning.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Sarg

Charlottesville, VA

#1 Jan 18, 2013
Tackling it, and carrying it off the field on a stretcher.
citizen

Charlottesville, VA

#2 Jan 18, 2013
Isn't it interesting that so many are blathering about guns, ammunition and so called high capacity magazines and all the while not a single person on TV is talking about the ten dollar device that tens of millions of gun owners and even Wally World use to keep a gun from being misused-----the steel trigger lock.

It takes a sledgehammer to knock a trigger lock off a firearm and by then the weapon is destroyed. Liberals and media phonies you have shown your real agenda to everybody that has the brainpower to recognize what you are trying to do.
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#3 Jan 18, 2013
citizen wrote:
It takes a sledgehammer to knock a trigger lock off a firearm
http://www.ehow.com/how_4598614_pick-trigger-...
Locker

Cumming, GA

#4 Jan 18, 2013
Most police departments and sheriff's departments give away FREE gun locks. Just 4 of these of these would have prevented Sandy Hook if mom had used them and hid the keys.

http://www.eastpdxnews.com/ktmllite/images/up...
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#5 Jan 18, 2013
Locker wrote:
Most police departments and sheriff's departments give away FREE gun locks. Just 4 of these of these would have prevented Sandy Hook if mom had used them and hid the keys.
Sure

Charlottesville, VA

#6 Jan 18, 2013
Locker wrote:
Well....it would have prevented the use of those particular weapons. It would not remove the urge from this nut case to kill others.
Belinda Jones

Charlottesville, VA

#7 Jan 18, 2013
How will they know the person is mentally ill? Is there a database of mentally ill patients to
query?
Hmmmmm

Charlottesville, VA

#8 Jan 18, 2013
Oh yes. How those evil background checks subvert the 2nd Amendment! Praise be to our lawmakers for seeing through the obvious evil of those back ground checks!

So let's see.......if I'm a responsible and honest citizen who can be trusted to responsibly own and use a gun, what exactly is it that I have to fear from a background check? Yes. Hmmmmm....I say.

If I was one of you paranoid gun folks out there that truly thinks there's now some campaign to outlaw guns (which there is not), I'd be more afraid of psychologists and psychiatrists right now. The next thing you know the DSM will define the desire to own a gun as a sign of "mental illness"
County Resident

Raleigh, NC

#9 Jan 18, 2013
Belinda Jones wrote:
How will they know the person is mentally ill? Is there a database of mentally ill patients to
query?
Of course not. Just try to establish one and you will be up against all kinds of privacy and HIPPA laws (medical information is private). It will never happen. Neither will background checks, bans on large ammunition clips, more services for the mentally ill, armed guards in schools...none of that will happen, so the NRA can relax.
Colt 45

Burr Hill, VA

#10 Jan 18, 2013
Hmmmmm wrote:
Oh yes. How those evil background checks subvert the 2nd Amendment! Praise be to our lawmakers for seeing through the obvious evil of those back ground checks!
So let's see.......if I'm a responsible and honest citizen who can be trusted to responsibly own and use a gun, what exactly is it that I have to fear from a background check? Yes. Hmmmmm....I say.
If I was one of you paranoid gun folks out there that truly thinks there's now some campaign to outlaw guns (which there is not), I'd be more afraid of psychologists and psychiatrists right now. The next thing you know the DSM will define the desire to own a gun as a sign of "mental illness"
You just posted in another article that you were neither for or against guns but after reading this I find that hard to believe,As I have stated before the majority of gun owners will and have complied with back ground checks,but that hasn't stopped any criminal or deranged person from doing evil things.What do you call banning the AR-15 and similar types of rifles if not a campaign to outlaw guns.
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#11 Jan 18, 2013
County Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
...none of that will happen, so the NRA can relax
defensive aging natives along w/ a few more carpetbaggers, and this state will come round
Hmmmmm

Charlottesville, VA

#12 Jan 18, 2013
Colt 45 wrote:
<quoted text>
You just posted in another article that you were neither for or against guns but after reading this I find that hard to believe,As I have stated before the majority of gun owners will and have complied with back ground checks,but that hasn't stopped any criminal or deranged person from doing evil things.What do you call banning the AR-15 and similar types of rifles if not a campaign to outlaw guns.
I didn't say that I'm neither for or against guns. I was talking about not being strongly on either side of debates about gun control legislation.

What I was pointing out here is just that I do find it quite silly that anyone would strongly oppose background checks. So, let's see - if there was a referendum on the next ballot asking whether any gun purchase should come with a preliminary background check I would probably vote yes. I just really don't even see why it would be controversial and it is not even close to being on a path to somehow outlawing gun ownership. So if you'd like, go ahead and tell me why universal background checks are somehow a bad idea.

And I don't know why you keep conflating bans on certain types of weapons (assault, high capacity clips etc) with banning guns in general. I simply don't see a world where SOME guns being unavailable for legal ownership is the same thing as a world in which there is NO legal ownership. Like I said, as far as I know you're not allowed to own RPGs either. No - those aren't "guns" but there is no natural line between what should obviously be allowed and not.
Realist

Westminster, MD

#13 Jan 18, 2013
huck wrote:
So I guess you will now be to blame for the nut job who reads this, defeats the locks, and kills a bunch of kids. Do you ever think before you post?
Realist

Westminster, MD

#14 Jan 18, 2013
huck wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =cSS15g5qb44XX
You really are an idiot,aren't you?
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#15 Jan 18, 2013
Realist wrote:
<quoted text>You really are an idiot,aren't you?
I'll bite.

How so?

You don't think anyone has seen those links before?
Colt 45

Burr Hill, VA

#16 Jan 18, 2013
Hmmmmm wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't say that I'm neither for or against guns. I was talking about not being strongly on either side of debates about gun control legislation.
What I was pointing out here is just that I do find it quite silly that anyone would strongly oppose background checks. So, let's see - if there was a referendum on the next ballot asking whether any gun purchase should come with a preliminary background check I would probably vote yes. I just really don't even see why it would be controversial and it is not even close to being on a path to somehow outlawing gun ownership. So if you'd like, go ahead and tell me why universal background checks are somehow a bad idea.
And I don't know why you keep conflating bans on certain types of weapons (assault, high capacity clips etc) with banning guns in general. I simply don't see a world where SOME guns being unavailable for legal ownership is the same thing as a world in which there is NO legal ownership. Like I said, as far as I know you're not allowed to own RPGs either. No - those aren't "guns" but there is no natural line between what should obviously be allowed and not.
Please show me where I was against background checks,Had you been following any of the posts I have put here you would know I have no problem with background checks,As I have stated for the 5th or 6th time I do have a problem with banning the AR-15 or any similar semi-auto rifle.A gun is a gun,I have also stated that I do not own a AR-15 but do have a 30-06 Remington semi-auto with a detachable mag.Tell me what's the difference?
yep

Charlottesville, VA

#17 Jan 18, 2013
Why can't we stop politicians from bringing assault weapons into state buildings? I thought we would help the mentally challenged?
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#18 Jan 18, 2013
Haken Ali Haken

Baltimore, MD

#19 Jan 18, 2013
I saw a bumper Sticker the other day, that said " Support Mental Health or I'll KILL YOU" LOL ALI
sez you

Charlottesville, VA

#20 Jan 18, 2013
Colt 45 wrote:
<quoted text>
Very true, so the answer? Take the guns out of the equation, take the guns away from the gun mob.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NBC29 Charlottesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Businesses Feeling Positive Impact of UVA Gradu... 9 hr UVA Propaganda Mill 1
News Upgrades at Area Water Treatment Systems Could ... May 11 Bob 1
News UVA Honored on National '100 Great Hospitals' List May 9 Deb 2
News Charlottesville Business Teaching Ways to Survi... May 8 Globalism is Crime 1
News VDOT Working to Save Lives and Taxpayer Dollars... May 3 Luke 1
News Students Receiving Free and Reduced Lunch in Al... (May '13) Apr 26 I am RIGHT 127
News Fluvanna County Republicans Get out the Vote in... (Sep '12) Apr '18 Lester 52