Proposed Bypass Puts Albemarle on End...

Proposed Bypass Puts Albemarle on Endangered Environments List

There are 48 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Feb 5, 2013, titled Proposed Bypass Puts Albemarle on Endangered Environments List. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

Albemarle County is one of the most endangered environments in the southeast, according to the Southern Environmental Law Center .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
jogger

Charlottesville, VA

#1 Feb 7, 2013
Who cares what the selc says about the by pass .....nothing but a bunch of obstructionist and contrarians....they complain everytime someone lights a match....
lets get the road built....
Pinz

Charlottesville, VA

#2 Feb 7, 2013
Don't forget the red-necked-white-hooded tea.peckers that will become extinct soon.
Just Checking

Herndon, VA

#3 Feb 7, 2013
"It would affect our water quality, our air quality, it would affect the health of children because it comes so close to so many schools and communities and it would really change the whole character of our town because of the scale and the incredible landscape that it would destroy," said Marie Hawthorne of the SELC."

I bet she even said that with a tear in her eye.
hoodatbe

Charlottesville, VA

#4 Feb 7, 2013
It's not just the SELC - I'd wager that all those who believe that this proposed bypass must be stopped, would still agree we need *something* - it's just that THIS is not the road. We need a solution akin to what Lynchburg, and Danville before them, created - a true bypass that cuts widely around the city from a point at or south of 64 and then connecting back north of the airport, at least – something that genuinely serves those folks traveling the corridor who do not need to pass through our very robustly developed portion of Rt. 29. As designed - this thing will cause more problems than it will solve, and not just for us locals. VDOT itself admits 29 will still have an F rating, event with this wasteful addition. Never mind that the cost will certainly be more than the 2.5M quoted. For me – it’s the poor design and planning that are the most frustrating. The overtly political maneuverings - see Rich's dismissal from the CTB as a prime example - just add insult to injury.
C-Ville Taxpayer

Charlottesville, VA

#5 Feb 7, 2013
Quote: "The bypass would cost nearly $2.5 million dollars."

Are you sure about that figure? Before this road has a chance to be built the legal costs from fighting "Progressive" groups like the SELC will be more than $2.5 Million dollars. Ever heard of the Meadowcreek Parkway?
sez you

Charlottesville, VA

#6 Feb 7, 2013
Just another stooge organizatioon representing the retail and developer interests along 29.
Yeah right

Charlottesville, VA

#7 Feb 7, 2013
The SELC will wear the hair off of a bear's butt!
Sure

Charlottesville, VA

#8 Feb 7, 2013
hoodatbe wrote:
It's not just the SELC - I'd wager that all those who believe that this proposed bypass must be stopped, would still agree we need *something*- it's just that THIS is not the road. We need a solution akin to what Lynchburg, and Danville before them, created - a true bypass that cuts widely around the city from a point at or south of 64 and then connecting back north of the airport, at least – something that genuinely serves those folks traveling the corridor who do not need to pass through our very robustly developed portion of Rt. 29. As designed - this thing will cause more problems than it will solve, and not just for us locals. VDOT itself admits 29 will still have an F rating, event with this wasteful addition. Never mind that the cost will certainly be more than the 2.5M quoted. For me – it’s the poor design and planning that are the most frustrating. The overtly political maneuverings - see Rich's dismissal from the CTB as a prime example - just add insult to injury.
Please oh Please don't stop at Airport Road. Green County is allowing the Ruckersville area to become as much a strip city as 29 North...we must go beyond Ruckersvillle at the very least or this will be all for naught in a few years. What's scary is the cost of all this and the whole project is really just a stop gap applied to a much larger problem. It will have a huge environmental impact and be a major disruption of life for years to come.
hoodatbe

Charlottesville, VA

#9 Feb 7, 2013
yes - quoted cost in the article is off by hundreds of millions - contract was awarded at $135M and estimates have been as high as $245M .. potentially $40 million per mile ... and still not an appropriate roadway for commercial vehicles, at that!
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#10 Feb 7, 2013
C-Ville Taxpayer wrote:
Quote: "The bypass would cost nearly $2.5 million dollars."
Are you sure about that figure? Before this road has a chance to be built the legal costs from fighting "Progressive" groups like the SELC will be more than $2.5 Million dollars. Ever heard of the Meadowcreek Parkway?
numbers boggling sometimes

“Equal Opportunity Not Results!”

Since: Nov 08

Charlottesville

#11 Feb 7, 2013
"Albemarle County is one of the most endangered environments in the southeast, according to the Southern Environmental Law Center (SELC)."

Complete B..u.l..l...s.h..i.t!
C-Ville Taxpayer

Charlottesville, VA

#12 Feb 7, 2013
hoodatbe wrote:
yes - quoted cost in the article is off by hundreds of millions - contract was awarded at $135M and estimates have been as high as $245M .. potentially $40 million per mile ... and still not an appropriate roadway for commercial vehicles, at that!
So the poor truckers who are simply trying to go north or south, without having any business in the congested Rt 29 corridor, will still have to share Seminole Trail with those locals who are trying to run their errands.
sez you

Charlottesville, VA

#13 Feb 7, 2013
C-Ville Taxpayer wrote:
Quote: "The bypass would cost nearly $2.5 million dollars."
Are you sure about that figure? Before this road has a chance to be built the legal costs from fighting "Progressive" groups like the SELC will be more than $2.5 Million dollars. Ever heard of the Meadowcreek Parkway?
Its completely laughable about how the "money" in this town has people fooled, like you, that their interests are progressive, you actually think Wendell Wood is progressive? You actully think the Hurt family is progressive? Its like Cvilles city council, man do they have Cville fooled. And Lance Armstrong is a decent guy cause of his cancer foundation.
pave it all

Charlottesville, VA

#14 Feb 7, 2013
forget about the bypass -- build a grownup size expressway along 29's spine, all the way from where the lynchburg bypass ends til the I66 interchange in gainesville. the road can't get any uglier. and make it a toll road.
Concerned Troy Residents

Charlottesville, VA

#15 Feb 7, 2013
C-Ville Patriot wrote:
"Albemarle County is one of the most endangered environments in the southeast, according to the Southern Environmental Law Center (SELC)."
Complete B..u.l..l...s.h..i.t!
Where was this rating and opposition when Albemarle County was approving developers tearing up all of the vacant land and farm land for "cookie cutter" subdivisions and strip malls!? Crozet and the Route 29 corridor is just one of many examples. All of this over one blasted road where this type of population and business explosion put the bypass back on the agenda/forefront again.
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#16 Feb 7, 2013
I saw a spotted turtle where this bypass was going to be built.
Judy

Charlottesville, VA

#17 Feb 7, 2013
pave it all wrote:
forget about the bypass -- build a grownup size expressway along 29's spine, all the way from where the lynchburg bypass ends til the I66 interchange in gainesville. the road can't get any uglier. and make it a toll road.
You make too much sense, it won't happen too many people without a spine to make tough decisions involved.
Sure

Charlottesville, VA

#18 Feb 7, 2013
pave it all wrote:
forget about the bypass -- build a grownup size expressway along 29's spine, all the way from where the lynchburg bypass ends til the I66 interchange in gainesville. the road can't get any uglier. and make it a toll road.
You Paying?
Native

Charlottesville, VA

#19 Feb 7, 2013
sez you wrote:
<quoted text>Its completely laughable about how the "money" in this town has people fooled, like you, that their interests are progressive, you actually think Wendell Wood is progressive? You actully think the Hurt family is progressive? Its like Cvilles city council, man do they have Cville fooled. And Lance Armstrong is a decent guy cause of his cancer foundation.
They all keep their agendas well hidden...quietly making millions in developments with BOS approval and the public is bearing the brunt on these poorly planned businesses along the corridor. Example 1: the bank on the north lane opposite Better Living. Every time I travel up there I get stopped at that light....now mind you this 8 lanes of traffic stopped for one or two cars to exit the bank. Example 2: the 1st entrance to Forest Lakes on the North bound lane in that little hollow....one already killed there. How anyone every approved that site plan is a real mystery....mind you the speed limit was 55 when that when up.
Also, there is a big disturbed earth site just beyond Airport Road...again the north b. lane....can't wait to see what lovely goes there!
Get with the program

Charlottesville, VA

#20 Feb 7, 2013
Who'd take this seriously? It's just the Southern Environmental Law Center!

It's not like there's any real science or legal knowledge there, it's just a bunch of whacko luddites that will stop at nothing to turn Cvilles clock back to the stone age.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NBC29 Charlottesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Charlottesville Police Arrest Man Accused of Fraud (Apr '13) Jan 17 Shamned son 13
News Charlottesville Crews Respond to Bedroom Fire A... Dec 26 Linda 1
News Charlottesville Company May Buy Main Street Arena Dec 22 I Like Curling 1
News Firearm-only bear hunt in New Jersey resumes Dec '16 TerriB1 1
News Police: Skimming Device Found on Staunton ATM Nov '16 Mpr 10
News Police Investigate Reported Abduction, Assault ... (Feb '13) Oct '16 Missinglink 115
News Clown hoaxes force police to check pranks for r... Oct '16 Babydoll 1
More from around the web