Remembering Roy Michaels - Mendocino ...

Remembering Roy Michaels - Mendocino Beacon

There are 15 comments on the Mendocino Beacon story from Jan 15, 2009, titled Remembering Roy Michaels - Mendocino Beacon. In it, Mendocino Beacon reports that:

A gathering of friends and musicians, in memorial and celebration of the late Roy Michaels, will take place on Saturday, Jan.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Mendocino Beacon.

Patricia Rice

Norwalk, CT

#1 Jan 16, 2009
I remember Roy Michaels when first coming to Mendocino in 1975. His band used to play right across from the then Seagall Cellar. Think the place was called the Foghorn.His band and Richard Chamberlain's band rocked Mendocino. What a time that was...
Always thought he was awesome.
My deepest sympathy to his family and friends
Patricia Rice...Portland Oregon..........
Jennifer Robin Arnold

New York, NY

#2 Jan 21, 2009
Cat Mother was the reason I came out to Elk, California in the 1970's from New York City. I was a 19 year old teeny bopper. What a different world it was. I mourn the man, Roy Michaels and the end of an era.
Rick

Oxnard, CA

#3 Jan 26, 2009
Roy and I met in high school where we formed a folk group which led to another group, and then another group with Stephen Stills and another group with Stills and Richie Furay, and then the final folk-rock group together, "The Company," with Stills. I left the performing side of entertainment and came West after The Company broke up, while Roy contined in NYC and met Hendrix. Steve and Richie contacted me when they also came out here in CA, and eventually formed the Buffalo Springfield. When Roy went to Thailand we lost contact for over 20 years, but made up for it within the last three years. He was a joy to know back then and and a pleasure to get close to once more. I miss him.

I just finished a book about those years; Roy is in every chapter right to the end.
Doppler Bob

Laredo, TX

#4 Feb 14, 2009
I first became aware of Roy when I moved to Mendocino in early 1970. I became a huge Cat Mother fan, even doing tunes of theirs in my own bands for over 20 years. Then, I ran into Roy at a Charlie Prichard gig three years ago in Austin and a week later we became a duo called Loy Bones the Band. We played together till he got too sick to play, putting out one album named "Stories from Joe's". What a trip it was to get to play in a band with a hero of mine. We shared so many great times on and off stage. I really miss him.
Bob

Since: Oct 10

United States

#7 Feb 1, 2011
Patricia Rice wrote:
His band and Richard Chamberlain's band rocked Mendocino.
Not Richard Chamberlain but John Chamberlin, the fantastic graphic artist who did all of Cat Mother's posters and 3 of their 4 album covers. JC played mandolin and guitar with Roy's bands in the mid 70s called variously the Greenwood Sidemen, the Greenside Woodmen, or the Sidewood Greenmen, before morphing into the Horse Badorties.
Brian Gummer

Lower Hutt, New Zealand

#8 Apr 11, 2012
Although i am now on he other side of other world and never new him or even saw Cat Mother, the guys changed my life as a teenager in the UK (I'm now in New Zealand). Last Chance Dance and the Catmother albums inparticular. God my band even used to play Greenwood shuffle at gigs where the audiences (without knowing a thing about CAtmother or American music in general) danced the night away. I understand that Bob Smith has past on too?
Respect and thanks for everything guys!
Alain

Richelieu, Canada

#9 Feb 22, 2013
I happen to have a CD of the Horse Badorties made from tapes that survived a fire. Was given to me by Roy before he left Thailand, along with four or 5 other CD's he'd made at home with very basic recording gear and a laptop.
Buddy

Mashpee, MA

#10 Apr 30, 2013
Rick wrote:
Roy and I met in high school where we formed a folk group which led to another group, and then another group with Stephen Stills and another group with Stills and Richie Furay, and then the final folk-rock group together, "The Company," with Stills. I left the performing side of entertainment and came West after The Company broke up, while Roy contined in NYC and met Hendrix. Steve and Richie contacted me when they also came out here in CA, and eventually formed the Buffalo Springfield. When Roy went to Thailand we lost contact for over 20 years, but made up for it within the last three years. He was a joy to know back then and and a pleasure to get close to once more. I miss him.
I just finished a book about those years; Roy is in every chapter right to the end.
How do I get your book?
Buddy

Mashpee, MA

#11 Apr 30, 2013
Alain wrote:
I happen to have a CD of the Horse Badorties made from tapes that survived a fire. Was given to me by Roy before he left Thailand, along with four or 5 other CD's he'd made at home with very basic recording gear and a laptop.
Can I buy a copy from ya ?
Buddy

Mashpee, MA

#12 Apr 30, 2013
can I buy a copy from ya?
Jerry Shuck

Bloomfield Hills, MI

#13 Jul 21, 2015
Alain wrote:
Is there any wayb that I could acquire copies of any of theos eCDs? Four Cat Mother albums just wasn't enough from such fine musicians.
Krystociak

United States

#14 Dec 19, 2016
Jerry Shuck wrote:
<quoted text>

Is there any wayb that I could acquire copies of any of theos eCDs? Four Cat Mother albums just wasn't enough from such fine musicians.
This is now being written on Dec 19, 2016.
FYI, am working on copying a Horse Badorties album from 1980 that's on tape, to CD.
Don't know yet how good the quality will be.
The tape still works, although we shall see how the CD sounds once we figure out the tech.
Anyone interested in a copy, put a reply on here, I'll check back after the CD gets made.
vrryan

Eureka, CA

#15 Mar 27, 2017
Krystociak wrote:
<quoted text>

FYI, am working on copying a Horse Badorties album from 1980 that's on tape, to CD.
The tape still works, although we shall see how the CD sounds once we figure out the tech.
Anyone interested in a copy, put a reply on here, I'll check back after the CD gets made.
I am interested in the Horse Badorties album- I had the tape from 1979 I think. I moved up to Humboldt in 1976 and saw them play at the Riverwood Inn. Would love to have that album again. Still in Eureka.
Joseph Bodden

Brawley, CA

#16 Jun 29, 2017
Alain wrote:
Have been seeking the Horse Badorties tape since mine was destroyed three decades + past. Particularly the song 'Midnight Show' or some such, I know it figured prominently in the song. Still strongly interested in obtaining/preserving this music. Please advise.
Tacie

North Branford, CT

#18 Sep 19, 2017
Krystociak wrote:
<quoted text>

Don't know who is following this, but I have HB and Cat Mother music as well as other cds roy made. I would love info on how to get a copy of the book.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mendocino Beacon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why norovirus is such a menace (Feb '14) Aug '18 stalk this 73
News Making a difference with Seth Meyers (Feb '14) Feb '18 adelson 666 3
News Naked Justin Bieber sings to grandmother (Aug '13) Mar '17 Suezanne 8
Nudes in Buff on Bluff Annoy (Mar '17) Mar '17 Money is Skin 1
News Eat these foods to nourish your skin (Mar '14) Oct '15 HippoAttack 3
News Postal union donations to Democrats complicate ... (Feb '13) Jan '15 hubertfields00 3
News Japan tests space cannon that will blast asteroid (Oct '13) Jun '14 What Is It Worth 5