Bay View Cafe evicted after 25 years - Mendocino Beacon

Full story: Mendocino Beacon

After 25 years of renting the same space from the same owner, Bay View Cafe owner Jim Jones received an eviction notice on Feb.
Comments
1 - 20 of 21 Comments Last updated Jul 7, 2012
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Emily

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Mar 8, 2012

This is SO WRONG on so many levels. Heartless, simply heartless. I hope the community supports Jim and boycotts whatever new entity moves in.
Judy Valadao

Dublin, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Mar 8, 2012

How sad that a place with such class has to go in order to make way for a "new" business. Whatever/whoever moves into the building BOYCOTT BOYCOTT BOYCOTT. Please keep everyone updated on where Jim goes and continues his business because we will all be there. Good Luck to the Jones Family.
Maureen

Santa Rosa, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Mar 8, 2012

I always include a meal at Bayview everytime I visit. I hope some other property owner in the area provides a new home to The Bayview ASAP! I hope this apparently greedy owner gets a big dose of Karma!
Kathy Long

Northridge, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Mar 8, 2012

I live in LA. Used to go to the Bay View every year. I will be skipping Mendocino if the Bay View is gone. What a heartless landlord after 25 years. What is the matter with people. There are lots of places to go so everyone let's BOYCOTT the new place so it folds. Empty rentals pay no rent and that is what this jerk of a landlord deserves. I hope the Bay View finds a new location that proves to be fabulous! Mendocino you are off my vacation spot list. Bye-bye.
Tony Miksak

Fort Bragg, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Mar 9, 2012

What a terrible, sad, shame. It's difficult to believe that the owner, Mrs. Raymond, really intends that Jim Jones be evicted after 25 years. Perhaps she doesn't fully understand what her agency is doing? As a long-time business and property owner in the town of Mendocino, I cannot visualize any business or business persons making better use of that deck and that location than Jim has done over the years. If he voluntarily was closing that would be one thing. To be forced out of business after 25 years of timely rent payments -- there are no polite words to describe what is being forced upon him. This should NOT be happening.
Myra Beals

Mendocino, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Mar 9, 2012

What can this property owner be thinking? How can she believe that evicting a loyal tenant for some other unnamed enterprise can do anything other than create ill will towards her and her new tenant? As one of the few businesses in Mendo that has successfully stayed open all these years, Jim Jones should receive an award, not an eviction. This just should not be happening.
Matthew Miksak

Mendocino, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Mar 11, 2012

Hello Lois Jean,

I feel a tremendous sadness that all the hard work and investment that has gone into making the Bay View Cafe a success will be taken away abruptly, with no consideration given to the impact on Jim Jone's financial and personal life, to the sudden termination of his employees, and to the loss of all his assets that he and staff have built up for so long.

Of course, we also understand that a property owner has the full legal right to do what he/she wishes with their property. However, I would like to suggest that there is also an unwritten but equally important sense of social responsibility in the decision-making equation, taking into consideration the impact to the lives of all parties involved: Jim and family, the employees, the revenue drawn into the community, and the Mendocino community itself. At the very least, giving 45 days notice to put Jim's affairs in order must certainly be seen as unusually harsh and unreasonable. We hope you will seriously re-consider your decision!

Thanks for taking the time to read this letter.

Sincerely,

Matthew Miksak
megan

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Mar 13, 2012

Jim Jones and the Bay View Cafe have been a major part of our community for all these years and a favorite of many tourists. It would be an absolute shame to lose them. I cannot believe LoisJean realizes what this will mean to the community and Jim and his staff. I know she is a kind and caring person and must be receiving erroneous information and/or shoddy advise.
Please, LoisJean, reconsider this eviction. Don't continue this heartless and ill advised action.
Not to mention, that it will most likely just add another empty store space in Mendocino. There aren't many businesses standing in line to rent space these days.
Pat

Williams, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Mar 13, 2012

Ahhhh yes, the Raymonds.....Greed pure and simple.
Never mind about the people who pour their souls into making a business a success or the people who now are without jobs....they don't matter. How much do you people really need?
You are a digrace to the human race...I left because of the greed from land owners but be reminded of the greed of Maureen and Mivhorney...what goes around eventually DOES come back around.
gypsy spring

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Mar 13, 2012

Lois Jean, i cannot imagine that you know what is going on. I sincerely hope that you read all of these messages, and talk to your advisor. Bay View has been a staple in the community for a very long time, and there are very many people who depend upon working there for their livelihoods.
Please reconsider your decision. Particularly in this economy, a long term tenant of sterling character, is a rare thing to have.
Jeff

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Mar 14, 2012

I was wondering how much money has been spent by the tenant making improvements to the property at no expense to the owner over the past 25 years. This has been done purely to get more money out of the property. You can rest assured that this building is already rented/leased at considerably more. The rents in Mendocino are completely insane, for lack of a better word. I don't see how they can evict on such short notice. Obviously he had a month to month and they probably think they are doing him a favor by giving him an extra 15 days. Time for him to lawyer up. It's just business now. Who cares who's feelings get hurt. Time to make the owners and property managers lives miserable. This will most likely make for some comments in the isles of Mendosa's.(No comment on their prices.) I could go on and on about this. After all, I still have over 2900 characters left. But really, whats the point? Lifes just a big game, you need money to play. The person with the most money wins.......period. There's a special place for people like this, but hear it gets a little hot.
Celticmusiclvr

Danville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Mar 14, 2012

Isn't it illegal to evict a business if they've been paying their rent? What about renters rights?
Howard

Yucaipa, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Mar 14, 2012

Celticmusiclvr wrote:
Isn't it illegal to evict a business if they've been paying their rent? What about renters rights?
This would only be the case with a current contract or lease. The problem with business leases is that they run for many years and it's tempting to allow them to go to month-to-month during recessionary times. If the lease has reached its' end date the property owner has no obligation to renew. If that was the case it's hard to believe both parties in this matter were not in talks.

I hope a new location can be found at a reasonable rate.
Lisa Bozzoli

Castro Valley, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Mar 14, 2012

This sucks
Chet ANderson

Fort Bragg, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Mar 16, 2012

I add my voice to those expressing disbelief and amazement that this could happen. It is just unbelievable. The Bayview has been "the place" for us for the past 25 years: first as tourists, making the incredible discovery of a place (the only place) with a great view, good food, fair prices and excellent service; then as residents where we take all of our family and guests and refer all of the "visitors" we see on the streets who ask, "Where can I get a bite to eat?" We are very hopeful that the owner will be reached through the community outpouring of concern. I do not like the tactic of threatening to boycott anything in the future but it should be enough said that I will not be happy IF the Bayview is not in it's usual place next month. All will NOT be right with the world.
Dwain Greggains

Copperopolis, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Mar 16, 2012

Maybe legal, but it is not ethical. Why would anyone else think of renting, from this CAH. Jim , need help moving? We will drive from Merced. Let us know. A good attorney may have suggested a better way of handling this, so as not to impact the business, the community, and our economy.
Jasmine Jones

Fort Bragg, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Mar 17, 2012

Dearest Loisjean,
I was completely surprised and shocked to hear that you do not
want to renew our lease. I am besides myself with emotion and sadness..
I have grown up here and have always had the deepest respect for you. I
have always looked up to you, from the first time I met you. You are so
kind and good-hearted and I truly loved seeing you and Bob come in for
breakfast after your bike rides around town. I was deeply saddened by
his loss and I am sorry that I never expressed that to you before. He
was such a wonderful man and seeing you guys together always made me
smile and my heart sing. I always hoped to find a love like that. I
would also like to say Congratulations on your recent marriage as well,
that is fantastic and I am very happy for you.

Since I was 7 years old the Bay View has been my entire life. I
grew up here in this place and was hoping that my one year old son,
Ryley, would be able to grow up here as well; as well as my 6 year old
niece Isabelle. Since he was born he has spent everyday down here and he
loves being able to come here. I am beyond sorry for the flood happening
and would have done anything I could to have prevented it. Unfortunately
accidents do happen. Just know that we are so so so sorry for what
happened and have made sure that we do everything now to ensure that
nothing like that would ever happen again. This business is my life and
I was hoping that I would be able to take over the business from my
father, it has always been part of my plan in life and the thought of
that not happening now breaks my heart. It is who I am, it is who our
family is. The Bay View has been a part of everything good in my life
for the past 26 years, I do not know what I would do without it.

I really really hope that you will reconsider and negotiate some
sort of new lease or agreement. Whether it be a very short lease or just
letting us stay 6 more months in order to let us both move on and upward
in a timely fashion. I am willing to do anything I possibly can to make
this happen. Please please let me know what I can do to change your mind
and continue this business partnership that was 26 years in the making.
We are willing to do whatever we can to make this happen. The Bay View
is more important to me and my family then I could ever really put into
words and try to express. Without it in our lives, it would be
completely devastating to us all. Some of our employees have been with
us for 20 years and they have become extended family that we love and
cherish also. I truly hope I have not overstepped my bounds by writing
this letter, but I wanted to you to know how I feel and that I would
really do anything in my power to try and get you to reconsider. I
promise that if you do, you will not regret it.
Keevan Abramson

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Mar 18, 2012

May I suggest the Mendocino Beacon take a more active role in this story. The action of not allowing Bay View to continue to operate at it's present location by one individual, will have more effect on this town than the dimensions or color of a sign debated by the Mendocino Historical Review Board. There have been no interviews with the owner, property manager, or attorney. The outpouring of grassroots support for this business vs the desires one landlord, a past resident of Mendocino who no longer resides here, makes for interesting drama. Other than a long term lease, what rights to business owners have. The implications of this story should be explored.
Deborah Kettner

Ukiah, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Mar 24, 2012

We at Twist have been in business down the street from the Bay View for over a decade and have sent countless families to this restaurant when they ask "Where can we get breakfast in Mendocino?" or "Where can we go for a reasonably priced lunch?" The Bay View has filled this need for an affordable meal with a priceless view. Many thanks to Jim and his family for their years of hard work. The optimist in me hopes there is still a chance the property owner will change her mind. I heard a rumor about the large amount of $ the Bay View pays in rent. Some quick calculations indicate that it is likely that over the course of their tenancy the Bay View has paid for this building and then some with its monthly rental payments. What an injustice to be evicted after such an outpouring of $ and hard work. I encourage the landowner to open her heart, read these comments and do the "right thing".
Elaine

Roseville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Jun 11, 2012

The sad thing is... it is still sitting empty, with no new tenant. I too was devastated to find my favorite place of more than 20 years to be GONE!:(
I did hear they are trying to come back somewhere else, who knows when or where though.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mendocino Beacon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why norovirus is such a menace (Feb '14) Aug 14 mossad was hacked 19
Japan tests space cannon that will blast asteroid (Oct '13) Jun '14 What Is It Worth 5
Catholic school dismisses gay teacher after pub... (Aug '13) May '14 Key threats 81
Fugitive's father speaks about son (Sep '11) Apr '14 stedfast 11
E-cigarettes: fresh air or smoke and mirrors? Apr '14 I Smoke Therefore... 8
Mendocino Co. man ordered to pay $100,000 resti... Apr '14 don 1
Focus on water conservation, soil science at up... Apr '14 Here Is One 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••