Tulsa Group Working Nationwide To Sav...

Tulsa Group Working Nationwide To Save Puppies

There are 54 comments on the News on 6 Tulsa story from Apr 4, 2008, titled Tulsa Group Working Nationwide To Save Puppies. In it, News on 6 Tulsa reports that:

The Bichon Frise, which is Small Paws Rescue's specialty, is a common victim of puppy mills.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News on 6 Tulsa.

Shirley Boggess

AOL

#21 Apr 5, 2008
Laine in Las Vegas NV wrote:
We admire greatly the work that Small Paws, and other rescue groups are doing. Robin Presnall, the Executive Director, and many Small Paws volunteers, from all over the USA and some foreign countries, work tirelessly to save these dogs.
We have three rescue dogs, including one puppy mill rescue that was five years old when we got her, and a "breeder" for the mill. We have now had her for more than two years and she STILL does not trust any men, including my husband, though we are gentle and kind to her. She is getting better, but it's very slow improvement. Those animals live terrible lives and don't ask to do so. Our other two are rescues but from different situations and not mill rescues. They are both sweet and happy dogs.
Check out SmallPaws.org and other rescue websites and see some of the awful situations many of these dogs come from.
Please support rescue groups, either by adopting those dogs that need homes, or financially. If you can afford to do both, please do. It's a very rewarding endeavor.
We, too, have a little girl who was a breeder for a puppy mill and I totally understand what you have written. She finally trusts me enough to let me pick her up, but not my husband, who is very gentle with her when he pets her in my arms. She wags her tail when she is happy but her eyes are always soulful. I dream of the day when her eyes will sparkle and I will know she has finally put it all behind her. She was 5 and 1/2 when we got her.
Sharon from Atlanta

Lilburn, GA

#22 Apr 5, 2008
The Oracle wrote:
As usual,find a scapegoat and spread rumors and vague charges. The alarmists have found a word that resonates for them and its called puppy mill. There are many,many pet breeders that raise puppies under healthy and sanitary conditions. If you buy a pet from a pet store you have a guarantee.
You are absolutely right. There are responsible breeders out there but with anything in life - you will find the good and the bad. I purchased a bichon frise from a responsible breeder and he is the love of my life! But why take a chance on a pet store? You might have a pet store guarantee but is that guarantee going to do anything for your broken heart? I'm not saying that all puppies from pet stores die but a lot do die from unhealthy, deplorable living conditions and treatable diseases that if they were caught in time, could have been prevented. Lisa Ling found and traced a "pet store puppy" back to a notoriously unhealthy, deplorable puppy mill. Why take the chance? I adopted a rescued bichon frise from Small Paws. Explain to me why a 5 year old, 9 pound dog will only allow someone to pick him up from behind? I've had him for 3 years now and I still cannot pick him up head on and he use to aggressively defend the lower half of his body. What do you suppose that "breeder" did to him to cause him so much trauma? Is this treatment acceptable? I will continue to support Small Paws and Robin and foster their bichons!
Patte

Lilburn, GA

#23 Apr 5, 2008
Don't Shop, Adopt!!!!!
Angela Taylor

Charlotte, NC

#24 Apr 5, 2008
The Oracle wrote:
As usual,find a scapegoat and spread rumors and vague charges. The alarmists have found a word that resonates for them and its called puppy mill. There are many,many pet breeders that raise puppies under healthy and sanitary conditions. If you buy a pet from a pet store you have a guarantee.
You obviously did not see the same show I did. There was nothing vague about these puppy mills. There is a big difference between a puppy mill and a breeder. You find me one puppy from a pet store, trace the place where their parents are and then get back to me on the sanitary conditions you found. DO YOUR RESEARCH AND I'LL DO MINE. Oprah obviously used Lisa Ling and did her research.
Cindy Leigh

Terry, MS

#25 Apr 5, 2008
We so appreciate your helping to educate the broader population about the horrors of puppy mills. I have two Small Paws® Rescue puppy mill adoptees. One, a female, came out of the mill at 6-years-old (probably after giving birth many times). She is now 9-years-old, and I have had her almost four years. I'm still the only person that can touch her, unless she is being held. She yelps if you touch one area of her right side; the vet believes it is sore because of scar tissue built up from a botched delivery or abortion. Her "brother" came out of a mill at 2 years old; he is like a big bear, soft and cuddly and sweet with those he has learned to trust. But he is aggressive toward males and obviously has "memories" of the trauma suffered in his early life. I have also fostered several puppy mill rescues...some afraid to walk on grass, some who would cower in place when taken out of the crate, some who had the word "FEAR" glittering in their eyes. Watching them discover the world outside a cage was like watching an infant move through the first six years... tentatively, with curiosity overcoming terror, and the love for food finally eradicating fear. We must all work to forge better legislation to protect the animals who depend on us. They give us the gift of unconditional love and certainly many deserve better care than they are given. Thank you so much for your help in moving us toward "new beginnings" in understanding the issues involved in commercial puppy breeding.
Debby Camp

Tulsa, OK

#26 Apr 5, 2008
Thanks so much for spotlighting the rescue efforts in the area and the horror of puppy mills in our state. If you can stand it, go to Chouteau's dog auction where breeders go to sell their "livestock." Some older dogs are sold for a buck to people who use them as bait for their fighting pit bulls. Makes you ashamed to live in Oklahoma. www.chouteauauction.com See for yourself!
P L Bidwell

AOL

#27 Apr 5, 2008
In my home I currently have four puppy mill rescues and two shelter rescues. The puppy mill dogs have many problems (physical and emotional)and will never completely trust people. The shelter dogs are fortunately warm and loving all the time. Groups like Small Paws are angels to the dogs they bring from purgatory to the heaven of warm homes, plenty of food, grass to play on, and loving hands to caress. It's easy to know that supporting the 'good guys' and trying to foil the 'bad guys' is the only way to go. Thanks Small Paws folks for all you do!
P L Bidwell

AOL

#28 Apr 5, 2008
In my home I currently have four puppy mill rescues and two from local shelters. The puppy mill dogs have a variety of problems, both physical and emotional, and will never completely trust humans. Fortunately, the shelter dogs are loving and happy. Groups like Small Paws are angels to the dogs they deliver from purgatory into the warm homes, with plenty of food and water, lawns and toys to play with, and kind hands to caress them. It's easy to see that giving help to the 'good guys' and trying to stop the 'bad guys' is the very best thing to do. Thanks Small Paws for all you do!
bugs

Aurora, OH

#29 Apr 5, 2008
a very good family friend bought the famous bischon's from the famous mill in okmulgee. the puppies came recommended. oh what puppy mill was obvious. the dogs were 1 year apart. looked nothing like the previous bischon they had lost after 18yrs of NO health issues of who they could not remember where they had purchased. the youngest of these two puppy mill dogs does nothing but have a high pitched bark all of the time. he had to have his bottom jaw rebuilt and has had to have a total knee replacement. this puppy is only 5yrs old. and let me tell you is taken better care of than some kids!!!!!
Judy

Millbrook, AL

#30 Apr 6, 2008
Thank you for getting the word out about puppy mills. I adopted a puppy mill boy from SPR. SPR does a great job in trying to save these dogs from a life of suffering.
Linda Langford

Gainesville, GA

#31 Apr 6, 2008
The Oracle wrote:
You are obviously very naive, Yes there are responsible breeders out there, no pet stores do not buy puppies from them. Responsible breeders would not sell puppies to a pet store, they want to make sure their animals are going to a good home. Do you realize that puppies from mills are often put into a semi and transported long distances in all weather conditions to get to the pet store. Some die along the way, but the mill operators consider that as part of the cost of doing business. You need to do some research. In fact why don't you go see a commercial kennel or go to a mill auction and see if you still think that rescue groups are alarmists. If you can go to either of these and walk away without being upset and outraged then you are not much of a human being.
J Tretter

Springfield, IL

#32 Apr 7, 2008
Puppy mills must be put out of business. The people who run them are not human.
Brenda Putnam County TN

AOL

#33 Apr 7, 2008
Thank you for getting the word out there about puppy mills. I am a supporter of Small Paws and know the hard work and love involved. To see the before pups with the fear in their eyes,their medical problems and injuries and then to see them after medical care and in their foster or forever homes,it's amazing the love you can see in their eyes. To know that rescue groups such as Small Paws give these pups a brand new life in a home with a comfy bed and love, makes me proud to support them in any way I can. Small Paws and rescue groups such as these are truly Heaven's Angels.
Peg

Spearfish, SD

#34 Apr 7, 2008
Responsible breeders do not sell their puppies to a petstore - PERIOD! Responsible breeders allow you on their property, provide you with information that is truthful about the history of the parents, hey, even meet the parents! of the puppies, they do not allow their puppies to be sold in a store!
Sharon from Atlanta wrote:
<quoted text>
You are absolutely right. There are responsible breeders out there but with anything in life - you will find the good and the bad. I purchased a bichon frise from a responsible breeder and he is the love of my life! But why take a chance on a pet store? You might have a pet store guarantee but is that guarantee going to do anything for your broken heart? I'm not saying that all puppies from pet stores die but a lot do die from unhealthy, deplorable living conditions and treatable diseases that if they were caught in time, could have been prevented. Lisa Ling found and traced a "pet store puppy" back to a notoriously unhealthy, deplorable puppy mill. Why take the chance? I adopted a rescued bichon frise from Small Paws. Explain to me why a 5 year old, 9 pound dog will only allow someone to pick him up from behind? I've had him for 3 years now and I still cannot pick him up head on and he use to aggressively defend the lower half of his body. What do you suppose that "breeder" did to him to cause him so much trauma? Is this treatment acceptable? I will continue to support Small Paws and Robin and foster their bichons!
Peg Sioux Falls SD

Spearfish, SD

#35 Apr 7, 2008
I am a supporter of all rescue efforts and love Robin, Small Paws and their belief, plus have my own rescue. Responsible breeders do not sell to petstores or place their "beloved" breeds on auctions. Puppy mills are for the love of money only - not the dogs or their beautiful offspring.
Danielle from Chicago

Wayne, IL

#36 Apr 7, 2008
Great story. We have had 2 bichons and our last one we adopted from a rescue. This is a great organization and thanks for featuring them on your website. Small Paws is a great organization and my hats off to them for saving all those precious souls :)
Claire Miller

Perry Hall, MD

#37 Apr 7, 2008
I, as with Robin, purchased, my now two year old, little Male Bichon from one of Amish puppy mills in Pa. Fortunately, God was watching over these particular puppies as they had treated pretty well, and the mom was on site. Last year, I contacted SmallPaws to see about adopting a friend for Tatter, my little terror. After an adoption process that would put adopting a child to shame, I am now a Bichon mom to 5 year old June June Small Paws Miller. And after 6 months, while she has made greatt strides, she still has a long way to go. Seeing her, at 5 years old, playing with a toy for the first time and actually running with her little brother has given me so much joy and tears at the same time. Please continue to work with the various rescues to help save these little ones that end up being nothing but a nursey center and then after a short period of time, the puppies are taken away and within another short period of time, they are carrying a litter again. I never knew that I could actually hate people. The media needs to be all over this in these various States. I mean all OVER these places.
deb maness

Crawford, TX

#38 Apr 7, 2008
I have a 6 yr. old Minature Schnauzer, named Casey. I would get a rescue dog in a heart beat. I call myself a small pawser, and truly admire all the good work that they do for the love of the dogs. Puppy mills are the scourges of the earth, and should all be put out of business.
Felice and Maryl

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#39 Apr 8, 2008
Small Paws Rescue group is blessing to all Bichon Frises. No animal should be forced to endure physical and mental pain. No person, as I dare not use the word human being, should be allowed to treat any animal the way puppy mill breeders do. We all need to act up and pressure our Federal governemnt and State governments to enforce harsh laws with severe consequences against people who harm animals. We must remember that animals rely on human beings.
Jean

Mesquite, TX

#40 Apr 8, 2008
I adopted my "Angel" from SPR nearly 4 years ago as a companion for my "Beau" who I purchased from a breeder. We have enjoyed her so much. She is the same age as Beau. Angel has taught him so much since she had been obedience school trained prior to her rescue. She was a 3-year old owner turn-in. Due to unfortunate circumstances in the owner's life, she was left at a veteranarian's office. We are so happy tha she has come into our life, here in Texas and relieved she was not left at a shelter or abandoned. SPR is so remarkable. It should be featured as a remedy on Oprah Winfrey's expose of the pathetic puppy mills as well. Thank you for making the public aware in our little corner of the world.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

News on 6 Tulsa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Big Splash Owner Offers Apology (Jun '08) Nov 8 runtlee48 88
News Pull Over - Or Else! Law Tickets Left Lane Drivers (Dec '09) Nov 1 Anonymouse 364
News Owasso Councilor Charged After DUI Arrest (Jan '09) Nov 1 Gena 29
News Doctor Faces Dozens Of Drug Charges (Oct '08) Oct 30 Josh 44
News Family, Friends Say Goodbye To Murdered Tulsa S... (Oct '09) Oct 26 Donnie 54
News DNA Links Tulsa Suspect To Rape (Dec '08) Oct '17 Kev 38
News Feds: Sex Abuse High At L.E. Rader Center In Sa... (Jan '10) Sep '17 Top_HatJones 74
More from around the web