'Retirement' will boost councilwoman'...

'Retirement' will boost councilwoman's pension

There are 27 comments on the Inland Valley Daily Bulletin story from Jul 17, 2010, titled 'Retirement' will boost councilwoman's pension. In it, Inland Valley Daily Bulletin reports that:

THE CURIOUS "retirement" last month of a Pomona councilwoman who was almost immediately reinstated made me curious as well.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Inland Valley Daily Bulletin.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Ren

AOL

#1 Jul 18, 2010
Good work Dave I myself have been looking into this and I can't belive she pulled a fast one and Lowry what a joke am sure they knew what was going on. They should put a cap on how much time you can be a council member it's time for her to go and what else is she up to I don't trust her or Lowry or Moochie and I like to see the Mayor Moochie take a drug test he can't be that dumb.
Rancho Resident

Norco, CA

#2 Jul 18, 2010
Well done Dave...expose her for the crook that she is. And Lowry??? Clearly she can't figure numbers, but wait...isn't that her job?? No wonder Pomona is on the verge of bankruptcy. But hey, at least their alleyways are paved!!
Get rid of her

Carlsbad, CA

#3 Jul 18, 2010
I would say "unbelievable" but this is Pomona and the idiots you have running the City have made far worse decisions in the past. Why do you think Pomona is in such bad shape, on the verge of bankruptcy? You got idiots who do not ask questions, staff who does not inform the council on important issues and when staff does inform the council they can't make an intelligent decision anyway. Pomona is doomed it is not a matter of "if" but just when it will go under.
Really

Moreno Valley, CA

#4 Jul 18, 2010
It's unbelievable that she a teacher and she can barely speak english. It's ok for her to get a raise but she said that the employees of Pomona don't need one. Are you kidding me Pomona? We need to get her out of there. Come november, she needs to be ousted if Pomona is to turn itself around.
Duck Walker

United States

#5 Jul 18, 2010
What a complicated issue. It seems that state and local experts in this field were ignorant of the loophole, so one wonders how this humble school teacher became aware of it. Oh wait. Your column mentions the Pomona City Attorney guiding her through the process. Would this be the same City Attorney who is defending a law suit against the City from Carizossa's inspired Habla Pomona group? Scratch mine and I'll scratch yours? Me thinks there is much more to the story than we know. A classic line from the movie "All The President's Men" from the Watergate era..."follow the money" might apply here, but more likely one should follow the "discussions" to and fro amongst the City Attorney, City Manager, and ALL members of the City Council prior to and leading up to the "re-instatement" vote. And why wasn't the public permitted to put up a another candidate when she was re-instated back on the council? No other names were allowed for consideration. Who drove that policy?, the Mayor?, the City Attorney? And why was there a switch in meeting times for the Council vote to re-instate her,not even the press knew what time to be in chambers, whose idea was that? Mr. Allen, your column seems correct as far as it goes, but you haven't begun to write about all there is to write on this issue. It seems to be walking like a duck, could it BE a duck?
AS Ashley

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#6 Jul 18, 2010
Speaking of math...I'm thinking thats some crazy cipherin' your doing there...or the calculator needs new batteries.
(22,453 a MONTH?????)
David Allen

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#7 Jul 18, 2010
Groan. That's $22,453 per year, not per month. The other references in the column to the amount being per year are correct.
Get Real

Fontana, CA

#8 Jul 18, 2010
Bravo Dave Allen. Great article. Cristina Carrizosa is up for re-election in November along with 2 other council members. Come on Pomona you have to do better at voting. Better yet, it seems Pomona will let anyone be a city council member. With these salaries, pensions and privileges, ALL the unemployed in Pomona should apply. Not!

With these council members now trying to get rid of their own Police Dept. for L.A. Sherriffs the city cannot afford to pay, why is the city council and Mayor making this town worse? Pomona you need to vote better! Then again, the town is probably 70% gangs. Are these gangs voting for these council members?

These council members are running their own town down the ground and they still sleep well at night. I hope they don't violate any laws in their own city if they don't even support their own police dept. There's hardly any police left to protect the city with all their budget cuts. Wake up Pomona. KNOW who you're voting for to run your city.
crazy

San Bernardino, CA

#9 Jul 18, 2010
you and your helpers manipulated the system - I hope you pay for it in the election.
nomore

La Verne, CA

#10 Jul 18, 2010
This may be legal, but she is still stealing from the system. If she had any ethical integrity, she would refuse the unearned portion of the pension, which amounts to almost half. And if the Pomona city attorney had any sense of ethics, as well as the rest of the city council, she would not only be out of city government, she would feel very uncomfortable being anywhere near Pomona.
hmmm

Long Beach, CA

#11 Jul 18, 2010
First of all, it's a shame that Daily Bulletin did not place this article on the front page! This is the kind of thing people need to know about Christina Carrizosa if they don't already.

A few points that come to mind after reading this article: She was a bilingual teacher? Seriously? Doesn't that presuppose that she actually knows TWO languages? How many of us have sat in the audience at a council meeting saying to each other "What did she just say?" One has to wonder what kind of an education students in her class were getting.

Carrizosa has been the most vocal opponenent of City Employees, stating on numerous occasions that they get paid too much. Apparently, this is a case of "do as I say, not as I do". As a CALPERS member, it angers me that she can be so blatant about playing the system and getting retirement she is apparently entitled to, but only through a loophole. What would she say about other employees doing that?

And as far as the other council members going along with this - shame on you for not asking more questions! But isn't that the hallmark of your offices? Either approve something without asking pertinent questions or postponing it until it no longer matters and the issue has "died on the vine"?

It's long past time to get new members on the city council. The City of Pomona needs to be represented by those who have the needs of the WHOLE city in mind, not just their own districts, and in the case of Carrizosa & friends, not just what will benefit your own pocket.
Dare

United States

#12 Jul 18, 2010
$80,000 a year for top step? Consider teachers work only about 8 to 9 months a year, taking Chrismas, Easter and summer vacation into account. Thats about $8,800 $10,000 a month. Yeah I know teachers do stuff at home after school hours. But I have known teachers and they get help from friends and family members with that work also.
As for the council and Lowry not knowing what is going on, yeah right, and the Clippers are the 2010 NBA cahmpions.
kurt st amant

Chino Hills, CA

#13 Jul 18, 2010
wow, after seeing the city of Bell salaries it's no wonder that a-lot of cities are broke, What the hell can we do to stop this! This pension system is out of control.
David Allen fan

Brea, CA

#14 Jul 18, 2010
Dare wrote:
$80,000 a year for top step? Consider teachers work only about 8 to 9 months a year, taking Chrismas, Easter and summer vacation into account. Thats about $8,800 $10,000 a month. Yeah I know teachers do stuff at home after school hours. But I have known teachers and they get help from friends and family members with that work also.
As for the council and Lowry not knowing what is going on, yeah right, and the Clippers are the 2010 NBA cahmpions.
Of course they all knew what was going on. They probably told her her that if it became an issue with the press and public they would just act stupid and say they didn't know. Mr Allen needs a follow up story with interviews of the the others. I bet they continue with the same bs. Great stuff Dave!
john

Altadena, CA

#15 Jul 18, 2010
She's a crook. She wasn't a teacher, she was a teacher's aide, and basically just a translator for the school district. No doubt she received teacher's pay due to her connections in the city and the school district. What connections you ask? When PUSD was buying and selling property left and right on speculation, who was the biggest advocate on behalf of the city to buy their properties at highly inflated prices? Christina.

She is one of the strongest opponents to having a Pomona Police Department. Why? Because she knows that if LASD comes in to the city, the number of LEOs in the city will drop dramatically. Why would she want that? Because she supports the idea of Pomona becoming (again) a sanctuary city. Less officer/deputies means she and others in city government can get away with whatever they want to get away with.

Then she had the audacity to manipulate the retirement system, to act like she's so unsophisticated that she didn't know how she would benefit from her surreptitious moves, and worked hard to force the Pomona Police Officers' Association to pay for a portion of their own retirement. She and her corrupt godson need to be out of Pomona politics forever.
COWABUNGA

Whittier, CA

#16 Jul 18, 2010
Would be nice to hear from the Pomona School District members as to what her retirement package is !!!!!!!!!!
I thought the new thing with all of the newly elected members was everything above the board??????????
What's up with them ?????????
I'm sure Elliot's kid must know something !!!!!!!!!!
They don't seem to be to eagar to join in the question's !!!!!!!!!
COME ON PEOPLE!! QUIT SUPPORTING THIS POS!!!!!!!!!!
THIS IS AMERICA, NOT MEXICO !!!!!!!!!!
hangthedirtbags

Chino Hills, CA

#17 Jul 18, 2010
Now we know why California is almost bankrupt.

From all levels of the state government and state employee unions, there are so many loopholes that officials and employees abuse the pension fund to pad their wallets. We can thank former governor Jerry Brown for making the state employee pension plan so lucrative.

It's time to take back our state and get a bill passed to curtail the abuse and get the pension amounts back to reality.

California's first. Washington's next.
Vesta Curry

Fullerton, CA

#18 Jul 19, 2010
She is a vampire on Pomona's neck, sucking it dry.
She needs to really "retire".
Legal Assistance

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#19 Jul 19, 2010
Why is the city attorney assisting Ms. Carrizosa with her retirement planning? Do all city employees get this type of assistance?
lost in SGV

Acton, CA

#20 Jul 20, 2010
Carrizosa and John Nunez-ex-Rosemead city council should go into business together of bilking our state agencies of money they really don't deserve...talk about unethical and self-serving....I am embarrased that they brought such shame to Latino electeds....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Inland Valley Daily Bulletin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ontario woman to stand trial in husband's slaying (Dec '08) May '17 Lopez 167
News Long Beach Operaa s a As Onea takes on the issu... May '17 TerriB1 1
News Families of the slain gather to honor loved one... Apr '17 Kortiz1989 1
News Suspect jailed in fatal shooting of 8-year-old ... Mar '17 Bobbie N 1
News Immigration enforcement gets millions in Trump ... Mar '17 Righty01 2
News Dutch election seen as barometer of populism in... Mar '17 Gigi l_amoroso 2
News See Oscar winner a Moonlighta and magical a Doc... Mar '17 Marcavage s Emission 1
More from around the web