Mom's statement in custody case of ga...

Mom's statement in custody case of gay son is appalling

There are 14 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Aug 12, 2007, titled Mom's statement in custody case of gay son is appalling. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

I am writing in response to the actions and statements of Patrick Atkins' mother .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

RGW

United States

#2 Aug 12, 2007
Amen! My neighbors have been together for over 25 years and are as happy together as any heterosexual couple. They maintain their home, contribute to the tax base and are gainfully employed. Fortunately they have parents who are supportive and would NEVER exhibit the type of sick behavior that Jeanne Atkins has done with her son.

I am blessed to have such great neighbors.
Chuck Anziulewicz

AOL

#3 Aug 12, 2007
This whole case illustrates how Gay and Straight couples are NOT receiving equal protection under the law.

When a Straight couple gets married, there are so many benefits that are automatically conferred upon them, including inheritance, joint tax returns, survivorship benefits under Social Security, medical visitation, etc. etc.... benefits that are usually just taken for granted. And even if a Gay couple makes legal arrangements for one another's benefits in the form of wills and medical powers of attorney, those arrangements are often successfully challenged by biological family members. And because of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA), even those Gay couples who are now legally married in the state of Massachusetts are treated as single people by the federal government.

What a sad state of affairs. My heart goes out to Patrick Atkins and his spouse.

CHUCK ANZIULEWICZ
Sayre

Indianapolis, IN

#5 Aug 12, 2007
There is a huge disconnect between the Atkins' religious beliefs and their ethical behavior. It is not ethical -- no, it is truly inhumane -- to deprive someone of the comfort and care of a loved one.
mitch

Medellín, Colombia

#9 Aug 12, 2007
I can only hope she rots in hell..the sooner the better she dies and lets her son have a chance to reunite with his partner. SHe is sick and how she can stay in business can only be attributed to people in the food service industry who don't know what type of a nazi monster they are dealing with
Tyler Roberts

Tucson, AZ

#12 Aug 13, 2007
Yes Dusty, you are indeed a Cornhole.
jeffw

Indianapolis, IN

#13 Aug 13, 2007
Interestingly enough, I recieved a return phone call today from Jeanne Atkins. I had called and left a message about a month ago, when this situation was first brought forth in the paper. She made the statement, among several, that the Indystar will not give her voice to state her case, and that homosexuals are running the paper and making this one sided. She also gave Brett credit for ruining her famliy. I was very surprised to get this call after such a long time, and have yet to respond. She claims, which at this point the claim is not able to be substantiated, that Patrick wanted out of this relationship. This is her word against the evidence since Patrick is not able to speak for himself now. She claims she and her family have reached out to Brett, to try to help him as well. All very interesting. She also spewed out all the hate verses that the fundamentalist christians try to use to support their view that homosexuality is wrong. The problem here is that these verses were not dealing with the same issues then that we are looking at today. The text in Romans refers to the sin of "lust" andchanging the natural or innate desire for one that is foriegn to you. Most people that are homosexual cannot change their desire, and it is not some flippant choice to be attracted to the same sex. I have made several posts here over the last week or so, but mostly I am interested in the truth of the matter. We cannot ask for Patrick's opinion any longer, since he is unable to answer now. We have circumstantial evidence that would make most with common sense realize that the situation has been mishandled in regards to Brett's exclusion from visitation. At best, Jeanne has not demonstrated the love of Christ, in dealing with Brett, whose lifestyle she does not agree with. I hope this whole situation speaks to the hearts of all people of conscience and common sense, and that someday soon, the law will provide the ability to keep this hatefull discrimination out of our lives forever.

“Got my mojo workin'”

Since: Feb 07

Indianapolis, IN

#14 Aug 13, 2007
Yesterday, my Red Hat group was at a restaurant in Plainfield. When it was time for dessert, one of the gals asked about their cheesecake and what kind it was. The server hesitated and said it was Atkins. Due to Momma Atkins' terrible treatment of her gay son, only one person was willing to order it.
Erik

La Nucía, Spain

#15 Aug 14, 2007
Stupid, crazy American woman (probably born before 1900)
cooper

Indianapolis, IN

#16 Aug 14, 2007
homosexuality is wrong. period.
Dan of Seymour

Springfield, IL

#18 Aug 15, 2007
I love my boys dearly, and have raised them with good fundamental values. They know that if one of them chose (and I say "chose" because that's exactly what it is) to be homosexual, I'd sever all ties with them from now until my death. I'd still love him, but I don't think I could deal with a betrayal like that, nor with the humiliation our family would suffer as a result. It's NOT "OK to be GAY"!

“Got my mojo workin'”

Indianapolis, IN

#19 Aug 15, 2007
Dan of Seymour wrote:
I love my boys dearly, and have raised them with good fundamental values. They know that if one of them chose (and I say "chose" because that's exactly what it is) to be homosexual, I'd sever all ties with them from now until my death. I'd still love him, but I don't think I could deal with a betrayal like that, nor with the humiliation our family would suffer as a result. It's NOT "OK to be GAY"!
Then you don't really love them all that "dearly".
Dan of Seymour

Springfield, IL

#20 Aug 16, 2007
Voodoo Catgrrl wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you don't really love them all that "dearly".
Certainly I do, and always will. My acceptance of their decisions, however, doesn't extend to the sin and perversion of homosexuality, any more than it would to rape and murder.

“Got my mojo workin'”

Indianapolis, IN

#21 Aug 16, 2007
Dan of Seymour wrote:
<quoted text>Certainly I do, and always will. My acceptance of their decisions, however, doesn't extend to the sin and perversion of homosexuality, any more than it would to rape and murder.
Dan, my apologies for being so blunt. Here is what is behind my statement. First of all, I really hope that, for the sake of your family, none of your children are gay. Clearly, this would be VERY destructive to your family. You see, even if you never want to see or hear from that person again, not everyone in your family will feel the same way. Family get-togethers will be tainted by resentment about the missing (ostracized) member and they will know that it is because of you that someone they love very much can't participate. You will also hurt yourself, not knowing if your child is even well or not. It is more complex than you may realize.
No, I am NOT gay, but I have had a number of gay friends, and yes, family members and I have seen families handle it different ways. The way you propose is the most destructive. While I understand that you compared homosexuality to rape and murder because you find it equally abhorrant, rape and murder are grevious crimes with victims. Homosexuality is consensual. Please don't consider destroying your family over what your children may do in bed.
JusticeForPat com

Clayton, IN

#22 Aug 19, 2007
jeffw wrote:
Interestingly enough, I recieved a return phone call today from Jeanne Atkins. I had called and left a message about a month ago, when this situation was first brought forth in the paper. She made the statement, among several, that the Indystar will not give her voice to state her case, and that homosexuals are running the paper and making this one sided. She also gave Brett credit for ruining her famliy. I was very surprised to get this call after such a long time, and have yet to respond. She claims, which at this point the claim is not able to be substantiated, that Patrick wanted out of this relationship. This is her word against the evidence since Patrick is not able to speak for himself now. She claims she and her family have reached out to Brett, to try to help him as well. All very interesting. She also spewed out all the hate verses that the fundamentalist christians try to use to support their view that homosexuality is wrong. The problem here is that these verses were not dealing with the same issues then that we are looking at today. The text in Romans refers to the sin of "lust" andchanging the natural or innate desire for one that is foriegn to you. Most people that are homosexual cannot change their desire, and it is not some flippant choice to be attracted to the same sex. I have made several posts here over the last week or so, but mostly I am interested in the truth of the matter. We cannot ask for Patrick's opinion any longer, since he is unable to answer now. We have circumstantial evidence that would make most with common sense realize that the situation has been mishandled in regards to Brett's exclusion from visitation. At best, Jeanne has not demonstrated the love of Christ, in dealing with Brett, whose lifestyle she does not agree with. I hope this whole situation speaks to the hearts of all people of conscience and common sense, and that someday soon, the law will provide the ability to keep this hatefull discrimination out of our lives forever.
Jeff-
Please contact us at
www.JusticeForPat.com
We would like to hear more about your recent contact with Pat's mother.
Thanks

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Indianapolis Star Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Injured pedestrian's dad sues 2 drivers, strip ... (Jan '08) Jul 16 Really 35
News Cemetery owners charged with fraud (Jan '08) Jul 13 Kacy 61
News Let it Out (Nov '07) Jul 12 Terry Benefiel 131
News New Castle students joust over gay rights (Apr '07) Jul 8 Likeitis 791
News Body of missing man found in car (Apr '07) Jul 4 Dont hate the player 154
News Frankfort man convicted in shootout with police (Apr '07) Jul 3 Understands 9
News A heritage double standard (Apr '10) Jun 27 AmPieJam UncleSam 5
More from around the web