Going through ordeal to get mom's pho...

Going through ordeal to get mom's photo ID

There are 41 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Jan 14, 2008, titled Going through ordeal to get mom's photo ID. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

I was one of those who thought that it made sense to require a photo ID to vote until I tried to help my politically active 83-year-old mother try to get one.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Shelbyville Grandma

Panama City, FL

#1 Jan 14, 2008
It is hard for me to believe the Bedford BMV was so uncooperative! Maybe you should all move to Shelby County - we hear all these really scary stories about the BMV but we never have to live through them ourselves. We must surely have all the good employees here in Shelbyville because they are out to only be of the utmost help in every way. AND THEY SMILE AT US WHILE THEY DO IT!
Bill

Taiwan

#2 Jan 14, 2008
I agree with Grandma.
Todd

Sheridan, IN

#3 Jan 14, 2008
Why do Indiana Republicans feel it is necessary to make our state have the harshest voter ID in the country? Voting should be the easiest thing to do not the hardest. The only reason we have this law is so that people won't bother to vote....which is exactly what the Republicans want. Another way for them to steal elections
Just an id

Panama City, FL

#4 Jan 14, 2008
Todd wrote:
Why do Indiana Republicans feel it is necessary to make our state have the harshest voter ID in the country? Voting should be the easiest thing to do not the hardest. The only reason we have this law is so that people won't bother to vote....which is exactly what the Republicans want. Another way for them to steal elections
For heaven's sake, if the requirement for identification to vote is "harsh," banks, liquor stores and any place which requires id to take a check should be banned from imposing the same harsh measure on its customers.
One more thing

Highland Park, IL

#5 Jan 14, 2008
Anyone can provide a simple signature. This is not security regarding the identity of the voter signing. The ID card provides this security. The inconveniences I have heard and read about are all similar to those we encountered when getting passports for the family. We actually travelled to the Social Security office in person to get some things straightened out. Just like the Voter ID's, this is a one and done inconvenience. Certainly worth it to allow us to vote in future elections and assure those elections are honest.
lastrep

Columbus, IN

#6 Jan 14, 2008
Todd wrote:
We would like youdemocrats to vote, once.
IMHO

AOL

#7 Jan 14, 2008
There may be some leg work, especially for older Americans, but there has been enough time to make sure that everyone gets a valid ID. With our extremely open borders I don't know why any American who cherishes the power of the indiviual vote, would NOT want a voter ID law. I don't consider this a Republican or Democrat issue..We should ALL desire that only Americans vote for American candidates and issues. There may be some aches and pains for a relatively few during this transition,but I am glad it is finally being done!
Jay

United States

#8 Jan 14, 2008
Baloney.

This is a lie: "At the Bedford Bureau of Motor Vehicles branch we were treated like terrorists". No you were treated like the twits that you are.

If your mom ever tried to get a passport or visit the federal building downtown or rent a car, she'd be in a world of hurt. They all require proper ID.
No more snow jobs

AOL

#9 Jan 14, 2008
lastrep wrote:
<quoted text>
We would like youdemocrats to vote, once.
So where is there any proof that "youdemocrats" are any more guilty of voter fraud than Republicans?

You ignore what the letter writer said and try to attack any non-Republicans you can find, which is the exact true purpose of the Republicans' attack on voting. Change the subject and whine that not everyone thinks in the same demented way you do.
Van Norden

AOL

#10 Jan 14, 2008
Jay wrote:
Baloney.
This is a lie: "At the Bedford Bureau of Motor Vehicles branch we were treated like terrorists". No you were treated like the twits that you are.
If your mom ever tried to get a passport or visit the federal building downtown or rent a car, she'd be in a world of hurt. They all require proper ID.
Jay, NO ONE could ever be the twit master you are! You weren't there in Bedford. You don't know what you are blabbing about. You waste the time of anyone with a mental age above a pile of sludge.

Every time you express yourself, you lower the level of intelligent thought in the world.

Since: Jan 07

Indianapolis

#11 Jan 14, 2008
So if she received the ID, what was the problem? Effort is required sometimes. This does not change the fact that you should produce an ID to vote.
pollworker

Louisville, KY

#12 Jan 14, 2008
So now being asked to have matching, consistent documentation is now being "treated like a terrorist". This is a whole new world - one where you have to be able to prove who you are! Without showing a proper ID, the mother in this story could have registered to vote using her married last name and maiden name (and had some documentation to pass simple scrutiny).
JA in Indy

Chicago, IL

#13 Jan 14, 2008
Sounds like your problems were unusual, not what one would typically encounter.

Just because one person has a problem with the process, does not mean the process is wrong.
FIRE BREATHING HORSE

Indianapolis, IN

#14 Jan 14, 2008
Todd writes: "Voting should be the easiest thing to do not the hardest."

Yeah, why bother showing up when somebody else is willing to vote for you?
Moonbat Exterminator

United States

#15 Jan 14, 2008
The BMV must work overtime finding the SS guards it hires.

I have lived in Decatur county(Greensburg In.)for 30 years,and have been casual aquaintance and country neighbors with the head of the Decatur county BMV.

I built a new home across the road from where I lived for years,and went to have my address changed on my drivers license.

Good God,what a hassle! The head of the county BMV ,who knows me ,knows where I live ,and has even stopped in before ,would not change my address on my license with out a paper trail from God himself.

What type of attitude warp machine do the employees walk through when they enter the BMV office? They morph from good neighbors, to little Napoleons.
Chris46227

Indianapolis, IN

#16 Jan 14, 2008
Just an id wrote:
<quoted text>
For heaven's sake, if the requirement for identification to vote is "harsh," banks, liquor stores and any place which requires id to take a check should be banned from imposing the same harsh measure on its customers.
Except that going to the bank or buying liquor are not rights, voting is.
Charlie of Brownsburg

United States

#17 Jan 14, 2008
Todd wrote:
Uh, no. Considering that the vast majority of people in this nation are so poorly educated and ignorant of civics/history/current events - thank you government school system - voting should be a challenging, contemplative process. I would even go so far as to say that there should be property ownership/employment qualifications to vote. The entitlement nation we have become is going to destroy us from within. And as far as Republicans stealing elections..........surely you jest!!
BEEN THERE

Duncan, OK

#18 Jan 14, 2008
The problem isn't requiring an id. It is the absurd BMV rules. We live in a society that is so afraid of being accused of bias that we will go to any length to avoid this. That is why you have 83 year olds who have lived here all their lives being hassled by the BMV. I just experienced the same type of thing from them. I own 2 houses on one lot. I lived in one of them for over 30 years and just moved to the other one. The address is 2 digits apart. When I went to renew my license at the same time I was told they couldn't put my new address on because I didn't have any proof I lived there. So, even though I own the place (and have for over 30 years) and it is next door to the other one the only way I could renew my license was to put my old address on it. I was told to then apply for another one when I got something to prove I live there. This is absurd and I have no intention of paying for another license and will just leave it with the wrong address. Yup, this sure helps keep records straight doesn't it. So because of illegals the rest of us are expected to put up with this crap. Good old Indiana.

“Si Vis Pacem, Parabellum”

Since: Feb 07

Indianapolis, IN

#19 Jan 14, 2008
Chris46227 wrote:
<quoted text>
Except that going to the bank or buying liquor are not rights, voting is.
No, voting is a privilege established by law it can be taken away for reasons such as felony conviction. It may be regulated and has been throughout our history. In fact, I'd like to see it regulated even more stringently. How about allowing the vote only for net-positive tax payers? Receive more back in refunds than you pay and you lose your vote - might take care of a few things in this country.
Patrick

Louisville, KY

#20 Jan 14, 2008
Charlie of Brownsburg wrote:
<quoted text>Uh, no. Considering that the vast majority of people in this nation are so poorly educated and ignorant of civics/history/current events - thank you government school system - voting should be a challenging, contemplative process. I would even go so far as to say that there should be property ownership/employment qualifications to vote. The entitlement nation we have become is going to destroy us from within. And as far as Republicans stealing elections..........surely you jest!!
Who's the poorly educated one, Charlie? Are you seriously promoting that we go BACK to the 1700's, where only property/slave owners could vote??! The ENTITLEMENT to vote is exactly that! The process maybe should be contemplative (though that's an individual thing), but it should not be challenging.

Individual voter fraud (not to be confused with voter MACHINE fraud; i.e., software manipulation) is so overblown it's ridiculous. It would take major organization and effort, and highly likely that someone would either leak the plot or be discovered. And the real opportunity for fraud - mail-in - isn't mentioned in this conversation. If you live here, you should vote, period.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Indianapolis Star Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Greenwood man accused of child molesting (Jul '07) Sep 16 Was family 53
News Ex-Indy 500 voice Lou Palmer dies (Jan '08) Sep 10 WIBC insider 40
News Jo-Ann Fabrics shifts into Chapter 7 liquidation (Nov '07) Sep 6 nini 32
News Let it Out (Nov '07) Sep 5 Vet Man 134
News Investors ask Steak n Shake: Where's the beef? (Nov '07) Sep 3 Julrub 47
News Player dies in car accident (Dec '07) Aug 28 Mammy 2
Zeb's BBQ (Aug '07) Aug '17 Jbird 37
More from around the web