New Marsh owners will close stores

New Marsh owners will close stores

There are 98 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Oct 19, 2006, titled New Marsh owners will close stores. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Tom Wood Lexus 2007 Lexus ES 350 $37,067 Huge Price Reduction! Every Vehicle Below Book Value Quality Luxury Imports BMWs, Lexus, Mercedes only at Coast to Coast Dreyer & Reinbold BMW VW Get a free electric ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Mike Jacks

Bell City, MO

#1 Oct 19, 2006
The closing of the Arthur's is a terrible set back for the New Palestine community. This store met the needs of this growing area. The Arthur's store has only been open for a little over a year.

Let's hope that another supermarket chain will recognize that this is a growing area that will support a store concept such as Arthur's
Mad Mike

San Jose, CA

#4 Oct 19, 2006
I know a few people at the Broad Ripple Marsh that they could lay off and it would only make the store better.

Village Pantry has not stayed in tune with the times. Close them all, revamp the stores and come out with something new.
Doug Wiegand

Indianapolis, IN

#5 Oct 19, 2006
This Sucks...the New Palestine Arthur's is a god send and it will hurt that community tremendously. I hope that someone comes in and buys it and keeps the grocery store there. Please someone helps a small community to keep growing. Sun Capital is bad for small towns.
Dan Jensen

Indianapolis, IN

#9 Oct 19, 2006
It doesn't surprise me that some Marsh stores are being closed. Marsh's prices are always higher than their competitors. Kroger and WalMart have better grocery prices and selections.
axgirl

Miamisburg, OH

#13 Oct 19, 2006
So sad
Beetle

Milwaukee, WI

#15 Oct 19, 2006
NOOOOOO!! We love our LoBills in Danville. Krogers is the other grocery store and it SUCKS!! It always takes forever to get in and our of there! LoBills stores and not huge which is what I like! DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!
smalltowngirl

Liberty, IN

#16 Oct 19, 2006
Dan Jensen wrote:
It doesn't surprise me that some Marsh stores are being closed. Marsh's prices are always higher than their competitors. Kroger and WalMart have better grocery prices and selections.
Well, in Winchester we don't HAVE another option for groceries other than Wal-Mart and their meat and produce suck. In terms of prices being higher, you get what you pay for.
Marsh - We value YOU

South Bend, IN

#17 Oct 19, 2006
How much longer now for Kroger? It's a WalMart world. Get used to it.
shopper

Indianapolis, IN

#18 Oct 19, 2006
The Broad Ripple Marsh has better service and is cleaner than other stores in the neighborhood. Try to shop at the WalMart on Keystone when only 2 checkout lanes are open and management continually ignores requests for better service. And it is nasty to constantly smell spilled milk when shopping at the Kroger's on Keystone. The Broad Ripple area lost its Target store forcing shoppers to drive further for quality service and a clean store. Please leave the Marsh store at 62nd and Keystone.
Jeremiah

Charlotte, NC

#19 Oct 19, 2006
Very sorry to see New Pal get closed.

I live in rush county, and stop there after work. That store had a bunch of money wrapped up in it. High quality products, and even fancy floors....Hope another grocer buys that location.
tfduncan

Noblesville, IN

#20 Oct 19, 2006
As usual kowners from ather states are closing stores and dismissing Indiana workers. This will only add to our many unemployment concerns without lowering the cost of groceries.
Rita Littrell

Louisville, KY

#21 Oct 19, 2006
Pretty soon there will be no jobs at all. Then where will all the fat politicians get thier money. No jobs = no taxes. perhaps some of the fat cats from NAFTA will come and support all those Fat politicians who let all our jobs go.
Cammie Duncan

Knightstown, IN

#23 Oct 19, 2006
How many eye sores will Sun Capital leave on the east side of Indy. Why don't we just close the East Side and declare it a war zone? All of the abandoned buildings and weeds sure will add to the picturesque landscape. I guess people on the East side are not good enough for their stores. I will not drive one second out of my way to patron any of their stores.
Now raise my property taxes for the pleasure.
Busty LaRue

Cleveland, OH

#25 Oct 19, 2006
If you have to blame someone, blame Don Marsh.
Patsy Evans

Tipton, IN

#26 Oct 19, 2006
Please don't close the LoBill's on Hanna & Madison; good people work there.I like the cozy feeling of a neighborhood market something I know corporate heads don't care about..bottom line is PROFIT!!!!
BigBumba

United States

#27 Oct 19, 2006
Cammie Duncan wrote:
How many eye sores will Sun Capital leave on the east side of Indy. Why don't we just close the East Side and declare it a war zone? All of the abandoned buildings and weeds sure will add to the picturesque landscape. I guess people on the East side are not good enough for their stores. I will not drive one second out of my way to patron any of their stores.
Now raise my property taxes for the pleasure.
Cammie,
Your comment about the east side offends me! Contrary to your obviously narrow minded view, the entire east side is NOT a war zone!
You might visit the Irvington area sometime, as that may help modify your perception.
Lisa in Noblesville

United States

#28 Oct 19, 2006
I won't miss Marsh at all. Most of the people that work there are rude and not at all customer friendly. The prices are higher and their meat selection is poor. I love the Kroger however. Their people know us by name and are extremely friendly and helpful. Prices are better and meat selection is great. Can't care about Marsh at all.
karri

United States

#29 Oct 19, 2006
I live in Putnam County. We used to have a choice. They move this huge nasty Walmart in there (giving them huge tax breaks to do so, and by the way Walmart shows up in our newspaper at least once a year delinquent on the taxes they do owe our small community!!) Now they are closing our LoBill. We are left with a No-Service Kroger and a Nasty Walmart (Birds eating the fruits and vegetables, pecking at the bread, crapping everywhere. Meats and deli products that I wouldn't even feed to my dog because I would be afraid it would get sick, not to mention the overall smell and just plain lameness of the place) A friend of mine has worked in the meat department at Lobill since he graduated from highschool. He called me today and said that they were told today that our Lobill would be closed in 3 weeks. He's now out of a job that he has had since highschool (20+ years) and right before Christmas!! This article says that it was the "performance" of the stores that were chosen for closing. That's kind of funny, because there is a real grass roots movement going on in Greencastle wherein more and more people are boycotting Walmart or, if you suggested going to Walmart, they would tell you they wouldn't step foot in the place. They also figured out that the food prices at Lobill were about the same as Walmart. You just can't get your oil changed or buy tires there. Just what I'm looking for in a "grocery store". I guess Kroger will be next on the chopping block. Then Walmart will have done just what they set out to do. Our downtown is a graveyard, all the "mom & pops" are gone, nothing but empty buildings everywhere (even the old Walmart still sits vacant, as is par for the course for many small towns) Out of State companies deciding what is best for my community. No one hears our voices. It is shameful.
Lorindy

Indianapolis, IN

#30 Oct 19, 2006
Ohh! I am so so sad. This is the only store we have in New Palestine! The owner of the little "Mr. T" store decided to retire and close his store because he knew he couldn't compete with Arthur's. Now Arthur's is closing. I knew that Marsh selling their stores to this new outfit was not a good thing, I just didn't know how bad it was going to be!:(
Doug

Indianapolis, IN

#31 Oct 19, 2006
One of those stores is the Danville LoBills store, this store was always involved in the Danville community. The employees werea hard working group that worked as a team. This now leaves one store in Danville. One that I won't shop at.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Indianapolis Star Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Let it Out (Feb '08) Nov 8 Bart 141
News Dig yields artifacts up to 8,000 years old (Jul '07) Nov 7 handy man 3
News Let it Out (May '07) Oct 29 The Preacherman03 295
News Greenwood woman slain in apartment (Dec '07) Oct 23 Connected 29
News No title (Aug '07) Oct '18 Larry Pilkins 24
News Chanteclair closing after nearly 40 years (Feb '08) Sep '18 Robert a d Angela... 43
News Past problems haunt Centex (Nov '06) Sep '18 longGone 127