Controversial 'hamam' opens in Pike Twp.

Controversial 'hamam' opens in Pike Twp.

There are 73 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Mar 13, 2008, titled Controversial 'hamam' opens in Pike Twp.. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Come in and Test Drive the impressive Mazda CX7 or the GMC Acadia Click Here! Tom Wood Ford Tom Wood Ford offers great deals on New and Pre-Owned vehicles in Indianapolis.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
where

Duncan, OK

#1 Mar 13, 2008
Where in Pike Township is this located? That would be nice to put in the article...
spelchek

Duncan, OK

#2 Mar 13, 2008
they don't want you to know!!!!!
what

Indianapolis, IN

#3 Mar 13, 2008
where is the rest of the article? what is the controversy? this article doesn't make sense.
Hoosier

Indianapolis, IN

#4 Mar 13, 2008
Can anyone enter? Do you have to be Islamic?
Google Meister

United States

#5 Mar 13, 2008
where wrote:
Where in Pike Township is this located? That would be nice to put in the article...
Manana's Moroccan Hamam
8840 Michigan Rd
Indianapolis, IN 46268

StarStarStarStarStar
Based on 1 review.
* Rate it
* Read Reviews
According to the review; It's all right!
Qoheleth

Indianapolis, IN

#6 Mar 13, 2008
Could we have a little less innuendo and a little more clear reporting, please? It is not at all clear from this article what, exactly, the controversy is. Do neighbors believe that something other than what is claimed is going on there?(If so, what do they think it is?) Or do they have a problem with "complete body cleansing and exfoliation" as it is? Or is it a business operating in a residential neighborhood? Or something else still? There's no way of knowing from this article.
Telling it like it is

Indianapolis, IN

#7 Mar 13, 2008
If it's like a spa, what is the problem? Did I miss something?
Scrub me down

Urbana, IL

#8 Mar 13, 2008
When I was in Morocco, I went to a hammam several times. They are very nice and relaxing for both the body and the mind. Nothing sexual or smutty happens there, so don't get the idea that it's a massage parlor or anything of that nature. It's good to see something like this come to the cornfields...a nice change of scenery!

Since: Jan 08

Indianapolis, IN

#9 Mar 13, 2008
i dont understand exactly what this business is. It sounds like a spa. What is the controversy
Jeremy

Palo Alto, CA

#13 Mar 13, 2008
This is possibly the worst article I've read in a major news publication. The article cites a controversy that's never explained. There are quotes from sources that have only vague connections to the story (is it a possible fire code violation?).

I can understand if the IndyStar isn't properly staffed, it's a tough time for newspapers these days, but to allow stories like this to go to print is sad.
Rusty

Indianapolis, IN

#14 Mar 13, 2008
I guess the controversy must stem from the fact that at one point in history (over 200 years ago), Turkish baths were infamous for their "bath boys" who would do a bit more than just massage their clients. In the modern world, that is no longer the case. So it's most likely much ado about nothing, aside from cultural ignorance.

Basically, you get hot and sweaty (like in a sauna), then you get cooled off and get massaged and exfoliated.

Some religious rites of purification may take place in a hamam (both Jewish and Muslim).

I agree...very poor reporting. Meant to titillate and nothing more. If I want that, I can go read the National Enquirer.
News Police

United States

#15 Mar 13, 2008
Again, I have to cite the Indy Star for half-assed reporting. Is this story a joke? Story writing renews my thinking to why I hate the Indy Star.
Ryan

Worth, IL

#16 Mar 13, 2008
Who the heck cares if some one wants to open a Hamam? This is only "controversial" in redneck communities that probably think a hamam is another name for terrorist cell or something.
Spawn

Brownsburg, IN

#17 Mar 13, 2008
Jeremy wrote:
This is possibly the worst article I've read in a major news publication. The article cites a controversy that's never explained. There are quotes from sources that have only vague connections to the story (is it a possible fire code violation?).
I can understand if the IndyStar isn't properly staffed, it's a tough time for newspapers these days, but to allow stories like this to go to print is sad.
I resent your implication! To call the Star a "major news publication" is an insult to newspapers everywhere!
700ccer

Indianapolis, IN

#18 Mar 13, 2008
Ryan wrote:
Who the heck cares if some one wants to open a Hamam? This is only "controversial" in redneck communities that probably think a hamam is another name for terrorist cell or something.
I agree. The only controversial issue I can see is that it does not have a big “AMERICA IS THE BEST” sign plastered on the front of the business. As far as I know, our mottos for this country were “Don’t tread on me” and “E Pluribus Unum”, with the latter still being used on a daily basis. You can’t be a true patriot if you don’t believe that ideology.
People need to get over the fact that America is not a bunch of white guys.
E PLURIBUS UNUM!
Correct

Mundelein, IL

#19 Mar 13, 2008
What a shame that the Indystar even published this. "Hamam" is the Arabic word for "bathroom" and basically this is a spa with an Arab (Morocan) theme.

The only reason its "contraversial" to the Indystar and the hick residents of Indy is because its an Arab-themed business.

How embarrassing for Indy to even have this as a discussion. This makes Hoosiers seem like dumb hicks that are agaisnt anything Muslim/Arab. I know that most are not this way, but a good minority may be. The Indystar seems to be...
Anonymous Angie

United States

#20 Mar 13, 2008
The people "opposed" to this are just displaying their ignorance. They think this woman is opening a house of prostitution and nothing could be further from the truth. The business is simply a public bathhouse.

This is from the Washington Post:
Bathing usually is a simple operation, but in a Moroccan hammam, it's not your typical rub-a-dub-dub.
First, there's no tub, just a honeycomb of tiled rooms with streaming faucets and perspiring walls. The multi-step cleansing technique requires a chemist's brew of hot and cold water, olive oil soap and a mud-like paste. You need to know when to douse and when to drench, when to scrub and when to soak. If you do it right, you'll walk out of the sweat chamber relaxed and glowing.
I Just Wander Around

Indianapolis, IN

#21 Mar 13, 2008
Oh! No! Not a bathhouse!

With all of the murder, drug trafficing, economic hardship, and international crises facing our nation, it is nice to know that people have still got their priorities where they should be... on puritanical law enforcement.
Kramer

Loves Park, IL

#23 Mar 13, 2008
I aint open no hamamamamamam
embarrassed Indy resident

United States

#24 Mar 13, 2008
Jeremy wrote:
Welcome to Indianapolis! You can do what I do - stop reading this worthless rag!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Indianapolis Star Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News A heritage double standard (Apr '10) 14 hr AmPieJam UncleSam 5
News Muncie couple fights to keep 5 dogs (Sep '07) 21 hr Jay 142
News Delphi pork slaughterhouse is site of illnesses... (Jan '08) Jun 21 I dont do twitter 6
News Let it Out (Nov '07) Jun 20 bargersville 130
See, Indiana still consider a very racist state... (Nov '07) Jun 18 Truth 986
News Woman sentenced for sexual misconduct with teens (Jul '07) Jun 11 The Anti-Flower C... 80
News Autopsy: Man found dead in creek had been shot (Mar '07) Jun 7 Savannah Brickson... 51
More from around the web