OHA stirs doubts about its finances

OHA stirs doubts about its finances

There are 36 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Mar 27, 2008, titled OHA stirs doubts about its finances. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

Legislators will hold a hearing today on a measure that would start a special audit By Richard Borreca [email protected] The state Legislature is considering a special audit of the Office of Hawaiian ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Not only them

Honolulu, HI

#1 Mar 27, 2008
While we're at it, how about auditing other state offices. Say, for example the DOE, Public Safety Dept., Public Health Dept., etc. They're all the same. I'll bet that the auditors won't be able to compile a complete audit of these departments also.
Bill

Honolulu, HI

#2 Mar 27, 2008
Former Judge Heen, a political hack and henchman of the old Democratic Party machine that ran Hawaii unbridled for decades, is coming through again with the same party line. OHA needs to be audited "independently." What is puzzling is that Lingle is getting in bed with the Democrats in trying to rush through this "deal" that really is not any sort of deal at all for the beneficiaries who have an interest at stake subject to being short-changed by the State of Hawaii settling with itself and its own invented "Agency" OHA. It truly is the State settling with itself to extinguish the claims of the beneficiaries. Too bad Mini-Waihee, as an OHA trustee who rides on the coat-tails of his father's past glory days as Governor of Hawaii,(and former titular head of the Democratic Party machine,) can't seem to break away on his own and see what is right, that is, getting the most money from the State of Hawaii to help settle the beneficiaries onto their Hawaiian home lands. It would be one thing if the beneficiaries were rich but most are not. No money, no home ownership, on the waiting list, getting squeezed out by rent, ending up homeless on the beach, not getting into Kam School, ending up on welfare. Meanwhile OHA trustees, their staffs flying first class, stuffing their faces at 5 star restaurants in DC lobbying for the Akaka bill, funding programs that are make work projects for their friends, relatives, cronies and yes-men. Now, OHA trustee Walter Heen is really saying is that it is okay for State of Hawaii and the State of Hawaii's Office of Hawaiian Affairs to short-change the beneficiaries by shrouding in secrecy how they came up with the "deal."
Nicolas

San Diego, CA

#3 Mar 27, 2008
"Broken Promises" all over again.
huliau05

Hilo, HI

#5 Mar 27, 2008
Maybe NOW we can get an INVENTORY of the 'ceded' lands, too, you think?
How can you have a settlement when you don't have one...or IS THERE one and OHA is not sharing the info, violating their Fiduciary kuleana as Trustees to their Beneficiaries.
Some Trustees for Beneficiaries, eh?
OHA needs to be REORGANIZED to reflect HOMERULE for Accountability to EACH island constituents. Get rid of the 'one man, one vote' rule as most of the same,'seasoned' trustees lobby in Honolulu for their votes. Island representatives should come from each 'direction', i.e. N, S, E, W as one side of the island, i.e. Windward, Leeward are as different as kalo produced on the 'dry' side and the 'wet' side. TERM LIMITS should help to 'cure' cronyism, i.e. no more then 2.
SELECTIVE funding of 'special interest' programs, i.e. KAU INOA, AKAKA BILL, NO VOTE...NO BLAME campaigns, should EQUALLY fund the ALL perspectives for a more PONO outreach that FAIRLY represents ALL BENEFICIARIES input and UNFAIRLY LABELING 'dissenters' as a MINORITY. WAKE UP OHA...if it wasn't for dissension, DEMOCRACY wouldn't be DEMOCRACY! Because you were elected BY EVERYONE, not JUST KANAKA MAOLI OHA, you DO NOT represent KANAKA MAOLI interests and is 'towing' the bureaucratic 'lines', i.e. recent 'ceded' lands DEAL!
OHA brought this on itself, but I would agree that ALL agencies should be audited for accountability and NOT JUST OHA!
Alden

Wailuku, HI

#6 Mar 27, 2008
Walter Heen is one of the real good people in this town who calls things like he sees them and then tries to do something about it. And although we are all concerned about how public dollars are spent -- for Hawaiian programs or anything else -- the timing of this proposed audit by the State Senate is suspect. It comes on the heels of the Senate reversing itself and rejecting the bill that would have authorized the public lands revenue settlement with OHA. Before any audit is approved, we should get some honest answers from the Senate as to why they rejected a settlement that took 30 years to reach.
mokebla

Portland, OR

#7 Mar 27, 2008
Everytime a Hawaiian get ahead and take care of their kuleana, they become a treat to the government that took them down. Like I said before, clean your backyard before you clean mind, cause everytime you point a finger you got three pionting back at you. Malama pono Hawaiiana! I'm not sorry they don't understand Hawaiian, cause frankly their not and never will. If you have a dirty heart everything else is dirty in your life.
tired of shibai

Ewa Beach, HI

#8 Mar 27, 2008
Kalli wrote:
Check in to the first class airfare the trustees use when ever they travel to the mainland. Check on the expenses for lobbying for the Akaka Bill. Find out how much time Haunani Apoliona spends at her second job at First Hawaiian Bank where she pulls down $50K a year. There are millions being wasted and given to their friends, find it.
Kalli -- you have no evidence of any of this -- because it is NOT TRUE. stop lying.
Impeach Tokuda 4 lying

Ewa Beach, HI

#9 Mar 27, 2008
Jill is full of "you know what." read the resolution she is pushing -- it claims the senate didn't know there were negotiations going on, and that's why there should be an audit. well, guess what -- oha and the AG have said there are negotiations and a settlement is coming since 2003. it's in the committee records.
so why is Jill clearly lying? she's colleen's henchmen. why does Colleen want this? purely political -- to stick finger at the governor and oha, and position herself to run for governor.
if colleen cared so much about Hawaiians -- wouldn't she live in the middle of her district in Maili, not in a fancy home in Ko Olina? she's a fraud as well. she should back off of oha and actually get some work done.
jay

San Diego, CA

#10 Mar 27, 2008
Ceded lands? No such thing. Crown lands. That is the correct word to use. Remember the lands were stolen.Hawaiians should start saying crown lands intead of ceded.
bigguy

Mililani, HI

#11 Mar 27, 2008
I agree....it does not look too good when the po'o of oha take money for side trips to feel comfortable when the rest of the kaua are feeling the pains of possibly losing what little they have and struggling in every way (health, kala, family)to survive. What little we have we must hold on to. Don't let the people down. Make this look as good as can. We have lost too much already. This deal should not go through. Praying for you.

“Kokokahi -We are all one blood”

Since: Mar 08

Makawao, HI

#12 Mar 27, 2008
Remember how employees at an embassy burn the secret or "sensitive" documents when the embassy is coming under attack from a mob?

Oh, good golly, what's that huge plume of smoke I see at King and Kapiolani? I don't think it's Kilauea acting up.

Bills for first class airfare to Washington D.C. for a bazillion OHA honchos on hundreds of trips, bills for parties at the OHA offices in Hawaii and Washington, reimbursement to Milton Holt for hiring strippers for the big bash after the Akaka bill passes, how many millions of dollars for those racist Kau Inoa TV commercials. That plume of smoke is getting really huge and very black.
alice

Honolulu, HI

#13 Mar 27, 2008
Look, OHA has been corrupt for years. Most hawaiians know that. More importantly, OHA is illegal and needs to be closed. It is profoundly immoral and illegal for public assets coming from all tax payers to be spent on one racial group at the expense of everyone else. Stender is a double-talking shibai but there are other trustees cashing out on the backs of the public.

McCain will veto the Akaka Bill and he is our likely next president. Nothing whatsoever is owed hawaiians. All tax payers must be treated equally.

And yes, Lingle is a flop as governor.
just wondering

Kahului, HI

#14 Mar 27, 2008
If everything is above board what is wrong with taking a look? And all state departments should be audited. Isn't that why we have an auditor? Stop with the name calling, it serves no purpose.
Hui

Lihue, HI

#15 Mar 27, 2008
Kalli wrote:
Check in to the first class airfare the trustees use when ever they travel to the mainland. Check on the expenses for lobbying for the Akaka Bill. Find out how much time Haunani Apoliona spends at her second job at First Hawaiian Bank where she pulls down $50K a year. There are millions being wasted and given to their friends, find it.
Trustees get paid for 19 hours a week - Apoliona is in her OHA office- 50 plus hours a week! Get the facts correct. As far as Hanabusa, I called her office 7 times, no return call yet - great customer service.
huliau05

Hilo, HI

#16 Mar 27, 2008
Posted on: Sunday, February 11, 2007
More are realizing homestead dreams
Suit against DHHL cleared by high court

HOW DHHL GETS ITS CASH
The agency itself is certainly better off financially than it used to be, but is still working to improve its "cash poor" position.
A 1994 settlement with the Legislature over misuse of homelands properties assures the agency an annual allotment of $30 million through 2013. It also gets
about $8 million in federal dollars specifically for low-income housing. DHHL last year received close to $10 million in commercial lease rents.
It receives only about $500,000 annually in general funds from the state.
DHHL is working on other deals expected to land the agency some cash. Most notably, the department announced last fall that it is negotiating to lease 67 acres in Kapolei to Florida-based DeBartolo Development LLC for a shopping and business complex that could rival Ala Moana Center.
Leasing land to private developers to raise cash for housing development is not new for DHHL and is something encouraged by lawmakers. But it isn't a practice that has the full support of the Native Hawaiian community, especially when such dealings involve lands that some feel should go directly to beneficiaries.

QUESTION:
If the Beneficiaries SUED the state & won for a settlement of $600 Million prorated out to $30 Million a year for 20 years(=$600 Million), how is it that the SAME ENTITY, the STATE OF HAWAI'I get to keep those $$$ in THEIR 'coffers?
The State made out like BANDITS! WHY?
HERE'S THE MATH:
ANYONE can figure that with a settlement like this, one could earn the $30 million just by INVESTING it at 5% annually($600 million X 5%=$30 million) right?
Why wasn't the $$$$ INVESTED INDEPENDENTLY?
AFTER ALL, the Beneficiaries HAD TO SUE the STATE with their OWN resources, right?
Now if those $$$ had been placed into an INDEPENDENT FINANCIAL institution, one WITHOUT a CONFLICT OF INTEREST, wouldn't you think that the CORPUS of $600 Million would be INTACT and STILL generating INTEREST $$$$ IN THE MILLIONS TODAY???!!!
Also INTEREST RATES in 1994 was higher and the possibilities of earning MORE then the $30 million settlement yearly that the State owed to the BENEFICIARIES, would put MORE MONIE$ into that Beneficiary portfolio, for OTHER needs of these Beneficiaries, right?
HOW CAN THIS HAPPEN?
WOULD THIS HAPPEN TO ANY OTHER GROUP, ENTITY?
OR IS IT ANOTHER 'PATERNALISTIC' VIOLATION OF TRUST FIDUCIARY RESPONSIBILITY TO THEIR BENEFICIARIES BY THE STATE?
Wouldn't you think also that the State, with only its HALF MILLION $$$ & Feds, which STARTED THIS PROGRAM, be more ACCOUNTABLE to pay for THIS/THEIR PROGRAM they initiated because of america's GUILT in their near genocide of the Kanaka Maoli, & this State's INEPT administration of the program in Hawai'i.
Wonder Y this program has the LONG WAITING LISTS still and our 'ohana have PASSED AWAY waiting for their homesteads?
We NEED AN AUDIT OF THIS INCIDENT and a better explanation of WHY THIS settlement in essence BAILED OUT THE STATE WHICH NEVER LOST A PENNY AND IN FACT PROBABLY POCKETED THE DIFFERENCE, INCLUDING THE ACTUAL SETTLEMENT AMOUNT OF $600 MILLION, LIKE they're doing with TAXES they are collecting as OVERHEAD to administer the RAIL TAXES!!??
IS THIS A GOVERNMENT FOR THE PEOPLE?
A GOVERNMENT BY THE PEOPLE?
THIS IS AN EXAMPLE OF A CORRUPT, CO-OPTED, CENSORIOUS, COERCIVE OIL-I-GARCHY CORPORATE GOVERNMENT!!
GO FIGGAH!
Jim L

Kaneohe, HI

#17 Mar 27, 2008
If OHA has nothing to hide they will not mind being audited. The old Bishop Estate trustee's fought being audited for years and look what a rats nest was exposed. To the OHA board, let the audit happen and say I told you so if it comes out clean.
DejaVu

United States

#18 Mar 27, 2008
Absolutely correct, Ken. Heen's comments and the general panic over this audit demonstrate the same hubris and obfuscation that we saw with the obsene spending practices of the Bishop Estate "trustees". OHA wants to keep everything in-house and under the radar of the people who pay for their lavish lifestyles....(taxpayers). I just hope the legislators will get some backbone for once and look into it.
loco moco

New York, NY

#19 Mar 27, 2008
Of course McCain would veto the Akaka bill. He still talks about "gooks", people who do that aren't likely to consider Hawaiians as any different from "gooks". But homeboy's the one that's going to the White House.

And yes, Lingle is a flop as governor.
DejaVu

United States

#20 Mar 27, 2008
Why does OHA resist an audit so strongly ? Why would they be afraid of sunlight ? What have they got to hide ?
J Elizabeth

AOL

#21 Mar 27, 2008
Oust all the trustees. They are just lining their pockets.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Honolulu Star-Bulletin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Feral cats dog residents - Hawaii News (Oct '09) Aug 18 Harry 231
News Keeping kids smiling - Business (Apr '09) Aug 15 yasmine zazi 4
News Nani Lee Meadows / 1931-2008 (Apr '08) Aug 10 Peahi Spencer 27
News Expired safety sticker can be grounds for tow -... (Oct '09) Aug 2 Joe Balls 27
News Safety-check reminders halted because of costs ... (Sep '09) Aug 2 Joe Balls 55
News Cold, Metrodome await Rainbows on first road tr... (Feb '09) Jul '17 AwaitPhartz 4
News Broadcast expertise lasted a lifetime (May '08) Jul '17 Budd 15
More from around the web