Obituary: Helen Hifumi Morita / 1913-...

Obituary: Helen Hifumi Morita / 1913-2008

There are 4 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Mar 22, 2008, titled Obituary: Helen Hifumi Morita / 1913-2008. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

Taxi company owner set pace for women in transit More obituaries By Nelson Daranciang [email protected] As president of Charley's Taxi, Helen Hifumi Morita was among the first women leaders in the ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

Cloudia Charters

Redmond, WA

#1 Mar 22, 2008
Mrs. Morita was one of those truly great people that the general public never gets to know and apppreciate. She was a living part of an older Honolulu that fewer and fewer of our neighbors remember. Back then taxi drivers (especially at Charley's) were not immigrants reaching for a dream, they were local folks who knew the town (and people!) "Mango Tree / Mailbox." This haole girl from da east coast cherishes my days as a Charley's driver with great pride. In a very real sense it provided a better education about Our Town than the four years at UH Manoa that the taxi helped to finance. Mrs. Morita, or G-1 as EVERYONE at Charley's called her was not what you might call an "aloha personality" on the surface. She was busy and she accomplished a lot every day. She didn't have patience for sentiment - but she did give a Haole girl, new in town, a chance to work. I will always be greatful for that first REAL job in Honolulu. Years later when I was working at a local foundation, I dropped into the Charley's office (the "New" one on Ala Moana) to thank G-1 for the "leg up" she gave a malihini. You might have thought she'd seen me the day before: She didn't have time to talk story. But that's OK. I think she knew that I was genuinely fond of her and grateful. My grandfather, dead for decades, was a taxi driver. For years after he died we looked under every cab dome for his face out of habit. I have long been in the habit of asking Charley's drivers at red lights or convenience stops: "Hows G-1 doing." They'd smile everytime and essentially say that she would live forever. And I will always glance into Like Like diner any morning I pass it at 5 a.m. so see if my boss is in there having miso soup for breakfast. At least in my heart, she will be. Mahalo Boss! Rest in Peace (at last) "April" 787
Darci Evans

Haiku, HI

#2 Mar 23, 2008
Thank you for your sharing your memories and the kind sentiments.

Much aloha,
Darci Evans (G-1's granddaughter)
Dale Evans

Ewa Beach, HI

#3 Mar 23, 2008
Cloudia Charters's comments said it all about our mom. Thanks Cloudia.
Dale
Gloria Garvey

Mililani, HI

#4 Mar 23, 2008
Cloudia -- what great memories you have of Mrs. Morita! thanks for sharing them with everyone who loved her.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Honolulu Star-Bulletin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Chuukese man gets life term for murder - Hawaii... (Jul '09) 17 hr Joe Balls 223
News Hawaii musician charged in ice bust (Mar '08) Jan 17 Snore 4 170
What is wrong with Micronesian people? (May '08) Jan 5 life 226
News O'Connor traded in politics for trial law - News (Mar '09) Dec 29 Dennis Sr and Family 11
News Suit brought down Army's large cross at Kolekol... (Aug '09) Dec 27 Rachrl 75
News Man indicted in Kalihi strangulation - Hawaii News (Sep '09) Dec '16 Smoke1Joint 40
News Society opposes proposed ban on pit bull owners... (Feb '09) Oct '16 Flush Bird 326
More from around the web