Jury set to deliberate in Lankford case

Jury set to deliberate in Lankford case

There are 26 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Apr 11, 2008, titled Jury set to deliberate in Lankford case. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

The prosecution and defense make their closing arguments By Nelson Daranciang ndaranciang@starbulletin.com Absurd, improbable, shallow, absolutely paper thin, doesn't make sense.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Mar 08

Kaneohe, HI

#1 Apr 11, 2008
Lankford said he disposed of Watanabe's body in the ocean off Kualoa.

Sorry, but my common sense just screams at me here saying this is not true. I wish they would push him more about disposing of the body?

I can’t believe he walked the body out into the ocean and set if afloat in shallow water. It’s contrary to human nature, but then again Lankford is not human.

Since: Feb 08

Minneapolis

#2 Apr 11, 2008
The jury's verdict and the following sentencing hearing will hopefully be decisions that bring some measure of peace to Ms. Watanabe and her family.

I only hope Lankford will one day tell the whole story and either lead detectives to Ms. Watanabe's remains or confirm she was placed in the ocean.
mynah

Kaneohe, HI

#3 Apr 11, 2008
he put her in a trash bag. triple bagged. that tells me he put her in a dumpster. he lied about the ocean. the ocean would have gave her up if she was there in response to all the grief and prayers of her family.
Paoa

Honolulu, HI

#4 Apr 11, 2008
This is a sociopath. Everything he said was selfserving. Carlisle said it correctly, now the jury needs to do its' job and do it quickly. I am sure Lankford will have a hell of a time in prison.
Hang em High

Honolulu, HI

#5 Apr 11, 2008
too bad we dont have the death penalty. hang the **** . lying piece of **** .
Kulafan

Hilo, HI

#6 Apr 11, 2008
They should look into his whereabouts when other northshore women have disappeared without a trace. I'll bet lankford was working the area then, but this time he got caught.

Since: Mar 08

Kaneohe, HI

#7 Apr 11, 2008
mynah wrote:
he put her in a trash bag. triple bagged. that tells me he put her in a dumpster. he lied about the ocean. the ocean would have gave her up if she was there in response to all the grief and prayers of her family.
Yes Mynah I agree with you.
Also he lied about putting her in the ocean because he was hoping the authorities would not search for the body because in his mind he thought without a body there would be no case.

There were two ladies digging for the body some time ago and then the court brought him back so the ladies had to leave before he saw them. That is the spot in my opinion. Ask the two ladies?
CSI Wannabe

Honolulu, HI

#8 Apr 11, 2008
Von in Aiea covers the subject that Carslile did not refute. Walking barefoot suffering no cuts at night without a light over hundreds of yards at high tide against the current pushing a 125 pound bag.

All you fellow torch fisherman out there know how challenging it is to walk on a reef even at low to minus tide wearing tabis with a light source.

Don't understand why the prosecution did not address this?

Based on what information has been available & the jury may have one "lolo", there is a chance he may get off. It has to be 12 to 0, 11 to 1 won't cut it.
Brown Man

Silver Spring, MD

#10 Apr 11, 2008
That was the most idiotic defense that I have ever heard. I didn't want to lose my job so I got rid of the body. He would of been better off with no defense and simply said that he didn't do it and place the burden of proof on the prosecutor to prove that he did. I would never hire his attorney.
CSI

Honolulu, HI

#11 Apr 11, 2008
mynah wrote:
I have an inkling you are right. Investigators may need to search the landfills and if they find the sealed trash bag with the body, the prosecution may reopen this case.
Mike

Honolulu, HI

#13 Apr 11, 2008
You mean jurors should call their bosses and tell them they will be back to work this afternoon after the free lunch. No one would believe Lankford's ridiculous story. Guilty, guilty, guilty and then some.
hardcore wrote:
Jurrors : call the Boss, and tell him/her that you will be back to work on Tuesday, regular time. This won't take long. At least you may get one free lunch out of this dog and pony show. Thank You for doing your civil duty !
Mike

Honolulu, HI

#15 Apr 11, 2008
You gotta wonder how many jurors laughed or wanted to split a gut when they heard Lankford's story while he was on the stand. I wonder if the judge had to call order--to the jury.

Still can't get over why he would kill Masumi. I guess the pest control chemicals sure got to this half wit.
hardcore wrote:
<quoted text> I thought that it would take them awhile to stop laughing and to take a vote
Get Real

Honolulu, HI

#16 Apr 11, 2008
What do you think the verdict will me? Not what you think the verdict should be but what the jury will decide?

I think it will be murder, by ommission.
Dave

Honolulu, HI

#18 Apr 11, 2008
CSI wrote:
<quoted text>
I have an inkling you are right. Investigators may need to search the landfills and if they find the sealed trash bag with the body, the prosecution may reopen this case.
Nope, that would be double jeopardy. Prosecution has only once chance to get a conviction, hope they didn't blow it.
Amiel

Pomona, CA

#19 Apr 11, 2008
I don't know about the rest of you, but I kind of like the guy.
Disguested

Honolulu, HI

#20 Apr 11, 2008
You like someone who admitted to causing the death of the victim, wrapping her body and then throwing it out to sea after a supposed vehicular accident?

You like wannabe serial killers who hide under the guise of being a church goer, husband and would-be father?

Why don't you tell us what you like about Lankford?

May be birds of a feather flock together or your simply a troll.
Amiel wrote:
Lone Wolf

Hoolehua, HI

#21 Apr 11, 2008
Amiel wrote:
His wife is in the process of divorcing him. He's available.
ainakoa

Aiea, HI

#22 Apr 11, 2008
He got fired soon after he was arrested. He couldn't support his family while behind bars. he could have told his story last April. If it were true, there was time to recover forensic evidence from the death site or even the body from the ocean to back up his story. He choose to sit behind bars for a year, not supporting his family and waiting until now to talk. Doesn't make sense to me, if he says his motive has not to lose his job so he could provide for his family. If this were true, he would have told this same story last April and not wait until now to clear himself.
Da Dog Catcher

Hilo, HI

#23 Apr 11, 2008
I personally think Carlise did a poor job in his presentation of his closing arguements.And there's a maybe five percent chance this guy may get off.But the line of the most ridiculous closing arguement statement had to have come from Don Wilkerson,{"Put yourselves in Lankfords shoes"}.He's a dummy, only an evil person would've done what Lankford did.

Since: Apr 08

Honolulu, HI

#25 Apr 11, 2008
Carl Weathers wrote:
Actually, the defense did come up with a pretty good story. At least enough to place reasonable doubt in 1 or 2 jurors mind, I think. Plus there's no body. It was a bit of a stretch to even conduct this trial based on the circumstantial evidence. We'll see...
I agree. I am waiting to see the outcome. I am sure that the jury has a better picture than we have and will have a tough time making a decision because of the shadow of a doubt that has been cast.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Honolulu Star-Bulletin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pada gets 15 years for slaying role - Hawaii News (May '09) Sep 11 sheree02 57
News Chuukese man gets life term for murder - Hawaii... (Jul '09) Sep 2 ETKT 225
News Suit brought down Army's large cross at Kolekol... (Aug '09) Aug 26 Joe Balls 88
News Cars in Hawaii required to have 2 license plate... (Aug '09) Aug '18 Joe Balls 13
News Homicidal driver gets 10 years (Apr '08) Jul '18 Golfnut 59
News It's Volcano Awareness Month on none other than... (Jan '10) Jul '18 destiny 12
News HPD program teaches law basics, discipline (May '08) Jul '18 Joe Balls 587