President, college ride wave of success

President, college ride wave of success

There are 200 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Mar 10, 2008, titled President, college ride wave of success. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

More than three years ago, many people in Hampton Roads viewed Thomas Nelson Community College as a typical under-the-radar community college for older local residents hoping to enhance their education.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

First Prev
of 10
Next Last
TNCC Faculty Alum

Norfolk, VA

#1 Mar 11, 2008
I read this article, and my jaw dropped. Morale at TNCC is at an all time low. The Board and the Chancellor know this and do nothing about it. Morale surveys are disregarded at TNCC. Look at the reduction in attendees at the annual awards ceremony. It's practically all staff, very few faculty. The number of people electing to "retire" and leave to teach at other schools is on the rise. The President and VP tell faculty there's no money for professional development, supplies for the classroom, and a hiring freeze, but the VP's wife just got hired. As for our numbers of enrolled students being up, they are up everywhere in the country. The baby boomers' children are coming of age. The President doesn't accept appointments with faculty. He's completely inaccessible. The best one can do is speak to the VP and have him convey messages to the Pres. During one of the President's Town Hall meetings he threatened to fire any faculty member who caused a student to leave TNCC. How's that for a morale builder? Yes, we feel the love.

On a happier note, the faculty and students do succeed in spite of this administration not because of it. They are to be commended for their dedication to educate and be educated respectively.
I Understand

Norfolk, VA

#2 Mar 11, 2008
Wm & Mary lost a great President. Gene Nichol was very progressive. He really cared about the students, and faculty. Doesn't seem fair that TNCC is saddled with this one.
Concerned at TNCC

Norfolk, VA

#3 Mar 11, 2008
Both Pres. Taylor and VP Fleming were fired from their previous jobs. TNCC can really pick 'em. I agree that the students and faculty deserve better.
Life is Short

Norfolk, VA

#4 Mar 11, 2008
If all of this is true, why doesn't the Daily Press do an expose? This reporter doesn't sound like he did his homework. Why not just ask for a copy of the morale survey results?
Yahweh

Korea

#5 Mar 11, 2008
CHARLES TAYLOR, THIS IS GOD.

I DID NOT SEND YOU TO TNCC, SO PLEASE STOP BLAMING ME. I HAVE ENOUGH TROUBLE ALREADY.

TNCC WAS A FINE SCHOOL BEFORE YOU GOT THERE. IN YOUR SELF-SERVING CAREER YOU HAVE USED THE COLLEGE TO ADVANCE YOUR OWN WHIMS. YOU HAVE TRIED TO UNDERMINE ACADEMIC STANDARDS IN ORDER TO BOOST ENROLLMENTS. YOU HAVE UNDERMINED MORALE.

DON'T MAKE ME MAD BECAUSE YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENS WHEN PEOPLE DO THAT.

IT'S TIME FOR YOU GO, BOLDLY OR NOT.

--THE ALMIGHTY
FIghting Mad at TNCC

Hampton, VA

#6 Mar 11, 2008
Oh, President Taylor! You may think God wants you to be at TNCC, but I am afraid HE is the only one who wants you! While you talk a good story about love and harmony, the Kool Aid you have been sipping has obviously been laced with an overdose of "Happy." The campus has a rift so wide caused by your flagrant racial discrimination in hiring, firing, cultural policies, and influences that only a clean sweep of the admnistration's upper levels could begin the healing process. It is no wonder you surround yourself with "yes" people and a personal attorney. Did you learn your leasson from the trail of lawsuits and financial problems left at all the colleges you left to become a cancer on the TNCC campus? You may not sign letters or e-mails that are sent out to all the faculty and staff but your "signature" is all over 'em!!!
Despite your focus on basketball, cheerleading, homecoming, and dance teams, the faculty and staff at TNCC remain focused on the real goal of a college-EDUCATION of students. That commitment has not been lost despite your best efforts.
Please do the college a real favor and resign before TNCC is destroyed from the inside out..........
Sick and Tired

Hampton, VA

#7 Mar 11, 2008
Instead of an article full of "canned" responses to "softball" questions, the Daily Press reporter should have addressed issues like budget cuts due to below-goal enrollment or responses to current security issues (guns on campus, assaults on faculty and staff, drugs on campus, gang activity) that have been the focus of questioning from the faculty and staff the President loves so much. He has not once offered a response to any of this. The MANDATORY meetings he mentioned where he discussed issues with his beloved faculty and staff are more like the Taylor litany of "what have I done to make me look good lately" than any serious issues.
Threats, coercion, retribution, and fear seem to be the methods used to keep the loved faculty and staff from running to the press with the truth. The morale problem that has embedded itself at TNCC has only worsened with this Draconian shadow that canopies the entire campus.
Keep TNCC in your prayers. If anything serious happens on the campus, there is no capable response that could possible be employed that could protect the most precious resources there-the students, the faculty, and the staff.
Do we all feel the love yet?
Flagstiffed

Höst, Germany

#8 Mar 11, 2008
Flagstiffed: what Charles Taylor doesn't want you to know.

http://flagstiffed.blogspot.com/
TNCC Teach

Norfolk, VA

#9 Mar 11, 2008
Yeah, the Town Hall meetings that we all must go to... Such memories... Not for us to speak with the Pres. but to listen to his tirades. I remember the one where he said something like,(paraphrasing)If you help a student leave TNCC, I'll help YOU leave.
That was just before he told us that there were faculty who were racist. I don't remember racial tension until he got there. Makes you long for Pippins and Davis again. Former employees who have won EEOC cases against him are gagged. The word never gets out. I agree that threats, coercion, retribution, and fear are the methods used to govern. I also agree that that only a clean sweep of the administration's upper levels could begin the healing process. I just don't think it's going to happen. I feel so loved! Like an abandoned toy.
Incredible

Norfolk, VA

#10 Mar 12, 2008
I read that blog that is linked in Flagstiffed's comments. If all he/she writes is true, then why is Taylor still at TNCC? Somebody is falling down on the job!
SPQR

Hampton, VA

#11 Mar 12, 2008
The emperor has no clothes. Apparently the chancellor and the board have not been sufficiently humiliated by this fact.

The veep mentioned above is not the problem.(Check your facts: His wife is employed by another college; our college gives her a windowless office and a computer that doesn't work.)

There are veep problems. One veep is a Taylor crony from a previous college; another veep wants to be a president; theres an absentee veep; and don't forget the "special assistant" (who has her own "special assistant") who thinks she's a veep.

Two constituent groups on campus evaluated Taylor as "Unacceptable" when he interviewed. So how did he get the job? Let's just say there was a little wheelan dealin', if you know what I mean.

O tempora, o mores!
this is a test

AOL

#12 Mar 12, 2008
this is a test
Current Student at TNCC

AOL

#13 Mar 12, 2008
I was very surprised to hear the comments about weapons on campus and gang activity. I have attended TNCC for over a year now and have never seen any type of violence or gang activity. I was very sorry to read that there is no plan of action in case of a tragedy such as Va Tech. I am going to have to think about that and then I will go into Admin and ask to have my concerns met. I have never met President Taylor nor have I ever seen him. I would like to comment about the admin offices. There seems to be no respect for the students in these offices. I went into admissions the other day and sit for 45 minutes waiting to speak to a woman in one of the three cubicles that had women employees seated at them. I heard laughing and discussions coming from them; while myself and many other students just sit and waited. Finally I got up and told one of the women that I needed to go because I had a class to attend. She again told me to take a seat; that I would be called shortly. It was another ten minutes and then I heard a discussion about where the paper would come from for the form that I needed. Could I have heard correctly? Yes,they were definitely discussing where the one piece of paper that I needed would come from. Tuition is up and books are out of this world, but myself, a paying student, had to wait while a 'deal' could be worked out for one piece of paper. I hate to go into any of the offices to ask for anything. I feel we students are treated disrespectfully. Let me say something about the instructors at TNCC. Let's see. What adjectives can I use to describe them? Wonderful, professional,brilliant,highly educated and versed, caring..They want us to succeed. I dare say you can not find better instructors at any other college or university. Every instructor that I have had has gone out of their way to help me and to encourage me. Just to name a few; Professor Zahn, Abrams, J. Spenser, R. Hamblin, T. French, D. Cunningham, J. Cleveland, B. Allen. I would probably have given up long ago if not for their continued support. They show every day how much they care about us as students; so much so that I do not want to let them down. Thanks to their encouragement; I have been able to maintain a 4.0 gpa this past year. Barbara, from Nursing is the best. Mary Howard, also wonderful. They all want us to succeed and they are genuine. The instructors are who make TNCC a special place to attend; not the President. President Taylor, from the above posts it seems you are giving my instructors a hard time and making their lives a living he--, leave them alone. They are the backbone of the college, not you. I also heard that you are trying to drop Bio 101 from being a mandatory prerequisite for A&P. That could be a huge mistake on your part. A&P is hard enough after taking Bio 101; you better leave that alone. From other students I have talked too; they may have not wanted to take Bio 101 but in the end they were all thankful that they did. I am having a truly wonderful experience at TNCC. I am excited every day about going to class. I would tell anyone out there; if you really want to learn come to TNCC; their instructors are the best!
Another student

Newport News, VA

#14 Mar 12, 2008
Touche! I couldn't agree with you more. From your comments on the instructors to Bio 101, you are right on the money.
milly the minion

Norfolk, VA

#15 Mar 12, 2008
Unfortunately the posts from our students are accurate. I hear from students daily how they've been ignored or treated disrespectfully or sent ot 3 different office to get an answer to one very simple question.

The faculty at TNCC do take their jobs and the community college's mission very seriously. We make it our responsibility to do the absolute best that we can to support our students IN SPITE of the racist administration. Despite the filthy conditions that we must teach in (and students have to take classes in), the consistent lack of technology support, the fact that TNCC faculty are one of the lowest paid community college faculty in Virginia, despite the lack of ANY administrative support, understanding, much less respect for what we do, we are dedicated to teaching the students at TNCC.

God or someone else needs to inform Taylor that students don't come to TNCC for cheer leading or basketball or to join step teams, they come to LEARN so that they can become community leaders and responsible citizens. Our students and our faculty deserve to be treated respectfully. Its time the administrators learned that their jobs are to facilitate the faculty's job of teaching--not to throw roadblocks at every turn.

And where oh where is the chancellor? Why does he continue to ignore our pleas and our constant concerns about the leadership at TNCC?????
Rebel Base Camp

Hampton, VA

#16 Mar 12, 2008
Quick! Call out Sherlock Holmes, Nancy Drew, the Hardy Boys, Mickey Spillane, and Magnum, P.I. This crack team of detectives can surely solve the mystery of the elusive chancellor and the disappearance of millions from the TNCC budget (that President Taylor continues to deny knowledge of the fleeting currency)! The current media mentions "smoked filled rooms" when referring to the wheeling and dealing that will take place for the superdelegates at the Democratic National Convention. Well, the Chancellor had the process down pat when he dealt from the bottom of the deck and gave TNCC a royal flush in the form of Charles Taylor. Once that illicit deal was done and the damage to TNCC began, the momentum continued to build to sledgehammer strength. The Chancellor cannot quell the monster he has unleashed. And, I am not sure there could exist anywhere the strength of a St. George who could now rid TNCC of this monster.

Once the evil web begins to unwind its many threads, I am sure that the Chancellor will be covered with the debris from the misery he has wrought on the TNCC community-faculty, staff, and students. The administration will not be immune from its tangles, no matter how far they run. Their evil will be revealed to an unsuspecting public soon. Unfortunately, the TNCC community has tried to sound warnings about this for the past three years. Their efforts were stymied by an administration that ruled by fear. Now that a forum is available free from the fear of retribution, the TNCC community will be silenced no more!!!

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS
Concerned at TNCC

Norfolk, VA

#17 Mar 12, 2008
Thank you TNCC student for speaking up. It's unfortunate that you got the run around. More unfortunate is that it's not unusual. Hopefully, some good will come of this thread, and it won't happen to another student. After the Pres. reads these posts, he'll be holding another town hall meeting blaming the admissions office workers for declining enrollment at TNCC. All he need do is look in the mirror and at his VPs. You're right. The faculty you mentioned are great people. We are lucky to have good students and faculty at TNCC.
Current Student at TNCC wrote:
I was very surprised to hear the comments about weapons on campus and gang activity. I have attended TNCC for over a year now and have never seen any type of violence or gang activity. I was very sorry to read that there is no plan of action in case of a tragedy such as Va Tech. I am going to have to think about that and then I will go into Admin and ask to have my concerns met. I have never met President Taylor nor have I ever seen him. I would like to comment about the admin offices. There seems to be no respect for the students in these offices. I went into admissions the other day and sit for 45 minutes waiting to speak to a woman in one of the three cubicles that had women employees seated at them. I heard laughing and discussions coming from them; while myself and many other students just sit and waited. Finally I got up and told one of the women that I needed to go because I had a class to attend. She again told me to take a seat; that I would be called shortly. It was another ten minutes and then I heard a discussion about where the paper would come from for the form that I needed. Could I have heard correctly? Yes,they were definitely discussing where the one piece of paper that I needed would come from. Tuition is up and books are out of this world, but myself, a paying student, had to wait while a 'deal' could be worked out for one piece of paper. I hate to go into any of the offices to ask for anything. I feel we students are treated disrespectfully. Let me say something about the instructors at TNCC. Let's see. What adjectives can I use to describe them? Wonderful, professional,brilliant,highly educated and versed, caring..They want us to succeed. I dare say you can not find better instructors at any other college or university. Every instructor that I have had has gone out of their way to help me and to encourage me. Just to name a few; Professor Zahn, Abrams, J. Spenser, R. Hamblin, T. French, D. Cunningham, J. Cleveland, B. Allen. I would probably have given up long ago if not for their continued support. They show every day how much they care about us as students; so much so that I do not want to let them down. Thanks to their encouragement; I have been able to maintain a 4.0 gpa this past year. Barbara, from Nursing is the best. Mary Howard, also wonderful. They all want us to succeed and they are genuine. The instructors are who make TNCC a special place to attend; not the President. President Taylor, from the above posts it seems you are giving my instructors a hard time and making their lives a living he--, leave them alone. They are the backbone of the college, not you. I also heard that you are trying to drop Bio 101 from being a mandatory prerequisite for A&P. That could be a huge mistake on your part. A&P is hard enough after taking Bio 101; you better leave that alone. From other students I have talked too; they may have not wanted to take Bio 101 but in the end they were all thankful that they did. I am having a truly wonderful experience at TNCC. I am excited every day about going to class. I would tell anyone out there; if you really want to learn come to TNCC; their instructors are the best!
Say What

Norfolk, VA

#18 Mar 12, 2008
Doesn't the city of Hampton have a TNCC school board? What are they doing about this President?
Very sad TNCC teacher wrote:
Unfortunately the posts from our students are accurate. I hear from students daily how they've been ignored or treated disrespectfully or sent ot 3 different office to get an answer to one very simple question.
The faculty at TNCC do take their jobs and the community college's mission very seriously. We make it our responsibility to do the absolute best that we can to support our students IN SPITE of the racist administration. Despite the filthy conditions that we must teach in (and students have to take classes in), the consistent lack of technology support, the fact that TNCC faculty are one of the lowest paid community college faculty in Virginia, despite the lack of ANY administrative support, understanding, much less respect for what we do, we are dedicated to teaching the students at TNCC.
God or someone else needs to inform Taylor that students don't come to TNCC for cheer leading or basketball or to join step teams, they come to LEARN so that they can become community leaders and responsible citizens. Our students and our faculty deserve to be treated respectfully. Its time the administrators learned that their jobs are to facilitate the faculty's job of teaching--not to throw roadblocks at every turn.
And where oh where is the chancellor? Why does he continue to ignore our pleas and our constant concerns about the leadership at TNCC?????
sudents be heard

AOL

#19 Mar 12, 2008
I am attending TNCC in order to get a college degree and to make a better life for myself and my family. I could care less about cheerleading or dancing. Look around the campus President Taylor. Do you know the age range of your average student? This is not high school. Our government is a democracy; it seems you have been ruling as a dictator. All your college degrees mean nothing to me if you can't treat your instructors, faculty and staff with the respect that they deserve. Your blatant disrespect toward your employees has left a bad taste in my mouth. I wholeheartedly agree with "Current Student at TNCC", I have never met you or ever saw you around campus. Students, including myself, are always talking about the college bookstore and how horrible they treat students. From the time you walk in the door you are treated like a thief. From all the missing funds I would say maybe President Taylor needs to have his bags checked at the door.
couldnt agree more

AOL

#20 Mar 12, 2008
The teachers at TNCC ROCK!!!!!!!!!!Show them some love Taylor. Surely you do not think we are there because you are doing something for us..Seems none of the students even know who you are.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hampton Roads Daily Press Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min VetnorsGate 1,599,654
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 20 hr Into The Night 63,970
I remember in Newport News (Dec '07) Sun Changenme 2,388
I remember in Hampton (Jan '08) Sep 16 Harold Ghent 871
Hey...where do the hookers hang out in hampton ... (Jun '09) Sep 13 Someguy73 16
News Is Illinois couple's murder tied to bankruptcy ... (Oct '08) Sep 13 ColdCase 20
News Lawsuit accuses Advance Auto Parts of racial di... (Sep '08) Sep 11 Natermaztervader 56
More from around the web