Jon Reichard secures boys' basketball job at Eastern York

Full story: GameTimePA.com

The goal had been stuck there since the 10th grade, welded in the back of Jon Reichard's mind.
Comments
1 - 20 of 53 Comments Last updated Aug 9, 2011
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Let the games begin

Hanover, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2011

Judged:

From the mold of Marty H. comes another bellyacher. Too bad the guy at West York didn't get the job in Lancaster. He's another whiner.
york area fan

York, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2011

Judged:

this won't last long
Marty Junior

Dover, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2011

Judged:

After getting rid of Marty, why would you hire a guy who complains to refs and acts immature at games more than Marty did. Unbelievable after his behavior at other schools. Good luck Eastern with this guy!
Let the games begin wrote:
From the mold of Marty H. comes another bellyacher. Too bad the guy at West York didn't get the job in Lancaster. He's another whiner.
Congrats

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2011

Judged:

On some more negative newspaper headlines. That's what this guy is going to bring. I thought with the year eastern had in the news, I thought they would want to go in a different direction. I guess they love being corrupt. They are like the Jerry springer of the county. Therefore this hire makes sense.
Also love the shady board minutes. The district publishes board minutes on their web site with nothing about this hire on it. But add the hire last minute to avoid any controversy if anyone sees it and disapproves. What's the point of publishing the agenda if they add all the little dirtininess secretly anyway.
Spotty success

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2011

I love it!
No big deal

Hanover, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2011

Judged:

Marty Junior wrote:
After getting rid of Marty, why would you hire a guy who complains to refs and acts immature at games more than Marty did. Unbelievable after his behavior at other schools. Good luck Eastern with this guy!
<quoted text>
York county refs never tech foul these guys. Marty, Ackerman, Fisher, and now this guy will show their antics again this year and get nothing from the refs. Most seem afraid to tech these guys as they make a mockery of the game and embarass their districts at the same time.

ADs really need to step up and sit on these guys to keep them from embarassing the districts.
Accept it

Red Lion, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2011

I love how you people just find something to bitch about...you call them "bellyachers"...what are you doing on here?!? If you have ever coached in your life you would know that every coach at some time or another cries calls and argues with the refs. Fans at Eastern are just as bad when it comes to getting on the refs. Just give the guy a chance and stop assuming things...age brings maturity...he hasn't coached under Marty Hassenfus for over twenty years. Get over it...decision has been made and I am happy for him! Congratulations Jon!
Chances

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2011

Judged:

Accept it wrote:
I love how you people just find something to bitch about...you call them "bellyachers"...what are you doing on here?!? If you have ever coached in your life you would know that every coach at some time or another cries calls and argues with the refs. Fans at Eastern are just as bad when it comes to getting on the refs. Just give the guy a chance and stop assuming things...age brings maturity...he hasn't coached under Marty Hassenfus for over twenty years. Get over it...decision has been made and I am happy for him! Congratulations Jon!
This guy has been given tons of chances. Which he has blown over and over again.
Respect

White Lake, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2011

Judged:

You don't hire a coach for the fans or public opinion, you hire them to coach the players. I played for Jon and as a player had nothing but respect for him. His passion, even though sometimes is misplaced, always inspired you as a player. My senior year he coached against us as the Vo Tech coach and had that team playing so far above their level in was incredible. Maybe that is why Eastern hired him.
John

York, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2011

Judged:

Accept it wrote:
Thanks for the support sweety. Great fish fry last night.....
Ack Ack Ack

York, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2011

Judged:

Respect wrote:
You don't hire a coach for the fans or public opinion, you hire them to coach the players. I played for Jon and as a player had nothing but respect for him. His passion, even though sometimes is misplaced, always inspired you as a player. My senior year he coached against us as the Vo Tech coach and had that team playing so far above their level in was incredible. Maybe that is why Eastern hired him.
Sorry, if what you say is even true,(which I doubt). I guarantee u he was hired for publicity. The board loves reading about eastern school district and themselves in the papers everyday. Personally I love it, I am guaranteed entertainment all year long just reading about this guy.
Jon

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2011

Respect wrote:
Thanks Kirk!
Jack

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2011

(off) so if you have tons of experience but it's bad experience, is that good?
Hey Dover Guy

Dover, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2011

Judged:

Can you tell us why he resigned at Dover or was fired since you live there? Heard after his rant in the paper about how the kids weren't dedicated, and how they were lazy and needed to work on their games that admin. did not want his public negativity to hurt the program any longer. Two years isn't very long in a program. For me, it's a red flag that something major happened. Just my 2 cents. Another poster said he has matured with age. For the sake of Eastern York School District, I hope it has finally happened for this guy after 45 years.
Ack Ack Ack wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry, if what you say is even true,(which I doubt). I guarantee u he was hired for publicity. The board loves reading about eastern school district and themselves in the papers everyday. Personally I love it, I am guaranteed entertainment all year long just reading about this guy.
Dream

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2011

Judged:

Since the 10th grade? What was the dream, to terrorize the same school as an adult that he did as a youth. The joke of an admin gave him his chance.

Since: Jan 09

York

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2011

Judged:

My personnel opinion on this hire is that they should have made it months ago. Reichard was my top choice from the beginning and as much respect as I have for Fisher, Reichard probably should have been named coach after Hasenfuss in 04. I believe they wanted to get away from the Marty era and stayed in house with Fisher. Your getting a guy that has been around the block. He's been with some struggling programs and like any competitive coach/player, I feel he got frustrated with the lack of success. He has a passion for EY basketball and if he can hold it together and get through the first season, I think he will be successful. They're are some fairly talented kids coming up through and this coming years team will be mostly made up of underclassmen. If Reichard can preach team basketball, in a very weak division this coming year, EY should still qualify for a county and district spot. For a young team, any playoff experience will be important. If Reichard does well, EY should be league and district contenders again in two years.

Any great coach with passion is going to yell at the refs or bellyache. He wants to win. Hopefully he keeps under control and keeps EY going. At this point, the past is the past and he now has the opportunity to prove himself at the school that he always wanted to be at. Hopefully he makes the best of it.
More of the same

Hanover, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2011

MJacks44 wrote:
My personnel opinion on this hire is that they should have made it months ago. Reichard was my top choice from the beginning and as much respect as I have for Fisher, Reichard probably should have been named coach after Hasenfuss in 04. I believe they wanted to get away from the Marty era and stayed in house with Fisher. Your getting a guy that has been around the block. He's been with some struggling programs and like any competitive coach/player, I feel he got frustrated with the lack of success. He has a passion for EY basketball and if he can hold it together and get through the first season, I think he will be successful. They're are some fairly talented kids coming up through and this coming years team will be mostly made up of underclassmen. If Reichard can preach team basketball, in a very weak division this coming year, EY should still qualify for a county and district spot. For a young team, any playoff experience will be important. If Reichard does well, EY should be league and district contenders again in two years.
Any great coach with passion is going to yell at the refs or bellyache. He wants to win. Hopefully he keeps under control and keeps EY going. At this point, the past is the past and he now has the opportunity to prove himself at the school that he always wanted to be at. Hopefully he makes the best of it.
I saw the same antics from the KD coach last year. He had no control over his team just like fisher. He should go too.
Jacks

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2011

Judged:

MJacks44 wrote:
Jacks- didn't you shoot at the wrong basket back on junior high basketball for EY? Just asking.
maybe

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2011

Judged:

At least he played!
Fan

Archbald, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2011

Accept it wrote:
Jon Reichard has coached under hassenfuss less than twenty years ago, im only 16 and i clearly remember them coaching together.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent GameTimePA.com Discussions

Search the GameTimePA.com Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
QB Chad Kelly dismissed from Red Lion football ... (Oct '09) Apr '14 Joe 343
Northeastern's Elijah Cooper a hot hoops commodity (Aug '10) Feb '14 Cooper 84
William Penn: Schmidt was York's greatest splash (Jan '09) Oct '13 Chris dahowski 8
jesse shay beats ron miller (Sep '13) Sep '13 nostrsadomas 3
New Oxford: Ten best Colonials (Nov '08) Jun '13 Carlisle athlete 83
Steve Navaroli: West York blessed with special ... (Nov '09) May '13 moses 36
Eric DePew eager to step up to head coach at Yo... (Feb '11) May '13 In The Know 3
•••

Ashburn Conditions

(updated 20 min ago)

Weather
Mostly Clear 76°F
Hi: 80°F
Lo: 62°F
Feels like: 81°F
Visibility: 10 mi

See Tomorrow's Forecast »