Mo. House endorses legislation seekin...

Mo. House endorses legislation seeking to bypass federal ban on...

There are 5 comments on the Fox4KC story from Mar 29, 2010, titled Mo. House endorses legislation seeking to bypass federal ban on.... In it, Fox4KC reports that:

The Missouri House has endorsed legislation designed to allow the slaughter of horses for human consumption.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fox4KC.

Theresa Messick

Prairie Village, KS

#1 Mar 30, 2010
Another ground-breaking piece of legislation by our elected officials. If anyone has any knowledge of this issue, they would know what a huge waste of time this is for our legislators. In 2006, Congress defunded ante-mortem inspections required to slaughter horses for human consumption. In 2007 a federal court rejected an attempt by the USDA to allow horse slaughter operators to pay for the inspections. Without these inspections, it is illegal under the Federal Meat Inspection Act to slaughter horses for human consumption. This effectively ended horse slaughter in the United States. Horses are now shipped to Canada and Mexico at the same pace that we were slaughtering them in the United States before the plant closures.

H.B.1747 will allow the collection of fees by the Director of Ag to be paid to the USDA, effectively doing an end-around of the federal court's decision. If only our legislators had tackled the jobless issue with the same zeal they attacked horse slaughter ...

Recently, the European Union came up with a new set of rules for horses slaughtered for human consumption. Effective 7/31/10, it will be mandatory for all Canadian Food Inspection Agency inspected facilities in Canada engaged in the slaughter of equines for edible purposes, to have a complete set of records for each animal slaughtered. They have a list of drugs which completely disallow the meat from slaughtered equines that have had these drugs administered, entry in the human food chain. One of those drugs is Phenylbutazone, which has been shown to cause cancer in humans. Bute is commonly administered to sale horses to mask pain and/or inflammation. The US does not have any such requirements. So there is a good possibility that horses slaughtered in Missouri will have Bute in their system. Other drugs routinely given to horses in the US are anabolic steroids and hormone medications. And lets not forget that any de-wormer, many supplements and all medications state that these products are contraindicated for use in horses intended for human consumption. Is the Missouri Department of Ag Director going to put safeguards in place to protect the public from ingesting meat contaminated with these substances?
Christine A Jubic

New York, NY

#2 Apr 1, 2010
Missouri, the "Show Me Horse-Slaughter State," now known also as Missouri, the BLOW ME State;

http://unnecessaryevils.blogspot.com/

Nothing good will come of this for Missouri or anyother state.
Shayla Whitaker

Osceola, MO

#3 Apr 6, 2010
Finally something the goverment is doing is making sense!! Horses are livestock. Any other livestock can be slaughtered for meat. Why not horses. I am an animal lover and own horses, but I would rather see a horse slaughter than watch one die in the pastures do to an owners inability to care for it. Seeing skin and bone horses with no hay is a horrible sight! Great job!!!
Theresa Messick

Prairie Village, KS

#4 Apr 6, 2010
Again, horses are not generally raised as food animals. The medications and vaccines they are given are clearly labelled "not for use in equines intended for human consumption". And since horses from the US are still going to Canada and Mexico for slaughter, if these people wanted to sell their horses, they could have. The kill buyers in my part of the country will pick a horse up for you in the event you are unable to haul them to a sale.
Mulekist

New York, NY

#5 Apr 6, 2010
Shayla Whitaker wrote:
Finally something the goverment is doing is making sense!! Horses are livestock. Any other livestock can be slaughtered for meat. Why not horses. I am an animal lover and own horses, but I would rather see a horse slaughter than watch one die in the pastures do to an owners inability to care for it. Seeing skin and bone horses with no hay is a horrible sight! Great job!!!
The USDA maintains a list of "offically approved" food-chain animals and the horse (and our cats and dogs) are NOT on that list and we mean to keep it that way....geeze, must we eat EVERYTHING that moves? Last I heard, there was no meat shortage in the world.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fox4KC Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Home-schooled 10-year-old gets 23 on ACT, enrol... (Dec '09) Mar 18 Bob 5
News New Report Slams Kansas Foster Care System (Mar '10) Mar 17 Kathryn Kalb 55
News Victim of Dangerous Prank Fears Teens May Not F... (Mar '10) Nov '16 Juvi 18
News Voters Say No to New City Hall in Harrisonville (Aug '10) Nov '16 Seriously 3
News Missing Man Larry Schnackenberg Found Alive (Jul '10) Nov '16 Still Wonder 221
News Problem Solvers: SUV Paint Job Not 'Built Ford ... (Oct '10) Nov '16 Mik Murrill 39
News Paola Officer Charged with Indecent Liberties (May '10) Oct '16 Sparky 26
More from around the web