Dog owners, what are you thinking?

There are 10 comments on the Estes Park Trail-Gazette story from Aug 1, 2013, titled Dog owners, what are you thinking?. In it, Estes Park Trail-Gazette reports that:

It is a sad day indeed when common sense must be spelled out for people. People, please; for the safety of your animal and the safety of those around you, do not take your dog to the playground.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Estes Park Trail-Gazette.

Jake

Brighton, CO

#1 Aug 1, 2013
Well put Katherine. However bicyclists need to obey the same rules of the road as motorist. I get sick and tired of having to slow down and yield to cyclists who ride double file over the white line, I get sick and tired of bicyclists passing me on Hwy 7 into Lyons, I am sick and tired of cyclists not stopping at stop signs or stop lights.I'm just sick and tired of cyclists all-together. When was the last time a cyclists got a ticket for running a red light? Works both ways Katherine!
Share the road

Windsor, CO

#2 Aug 2, 2013
does mean share the laws of the road too, speed limits apply to bicyclists too, recently a bicyclist was charged with vehicular manslaughter because of reckless riding.
I see all the time bicyclists running stop signs, red lights, not stopping for pedestrians in crosswalks, passing vehicles on the right, weaving in and out of stopped traffic, and the awful habit of riding 3 and 4 abreast, it's actually still the single file rule unless a road has been altered or closed for traffic for a bike race.
I agree with giving a bicyclist decent distance between a car and the rider, but when they are riding too many abreast, the motor vehicle has to cross the center line into oncoming lane of traffic to allow that distance, both dangerous, and a vehicle can be ticketed for crossing the center lane.
All the laws of driving a motor vehicles also apply to bicyclists, it goes both ways.
Bicyclists need to abide by these laws also.
And who is the dirtbag

United States

#3 Aug 2, 2013
that's been riding his bike against traffic on Elkhorn downtown lately? A real unkemp **** almost daring you to hit him or move out of the way. Definitely not a tourist. Looks like a "new" local......

That off my chest, the important thing - just because you drive a car doesn't give you a right to maim, injure, kill. Slow down, people! The two posts above almost seem to be justifying future assaults on bicyclists. Whomever the driver of the red car on North Lane was should be easy to find - it's a neighborhood with limited access and a small number of homes. If that b@stard had run my wife off the road, having the police come knocking would be the absolute least of his worries.......
Jake

Brighton, CO

#4 Aug 2, 2013
And who is the dirtbag wrote:
that's been riding his bike against traffic on Elkhorn downtown lately? A real unkemp **** almost daring you to hit him or move out of the way. Definitely not a tourist. Looks like a "new" local......
That off my chest, the important thing - just because you drive a car doesn't give you a right to maim, injure, kill. Slow down, people! The two posts above almost seem to be justifying future assaults on bicyclists. Whomever the driver of the red car on North Lane was should be easy to find - it's a neighborhood with limited access and a small number of homes. If that b@stard had run my wife off the road, having the police come knocking would be the absolute least of his worries.......
You apparently mis-understand my post. I definitely don't advocate motorists assaulting bicyclists. My point is that cyclists are supposed to obey the same rules of the road as motorists. I whole heartedly agree with your statement concerning your wife's unfortunate incident. I hope this clears the air.
Share the road

Windsor, CO

#5 Aug 2, 2013
And you misunderstand my post also, in no way do I condone "assaults" on bicyclists, it's already dangerous enough on these roads in the summer with distracted drivers, insane amount of traffic, all I was saying is bicyclists who don't follow the rules of the road put themselves at higher risk, i.e. running stop signs, stop lights and so on because traffic coming the other way has the right of way.
Also when a bicyclist, or motorcyclist for that matter doesn't stop for people in crosswalks, they risk injury to the pedestrian.
I have seen more than once, whatever version of cyclists riding together in a group, the first few riders make it through a green light, when it turns red, the rest of the group will continue to run the red light.
There are no "special privileges" for riding alone or in groups. The rules of the road are what they are and should be abided by all.
The point is to 'SHARE the road, bicyclist, motorcyclist, or automobile, and that means courtesy and respect for all on the road.
Having read

Windsor, CO

#6 Aug 2, 2013
the previous posts about how bicycle riders etc. are supposed to follow the rules of the road, I didn't see anything stated that "seemed to condone future assaults on bicyclists", in fact the only comment that seemed to condone assaults of any supports was the comment by that poster saying, "If that b@stard had run my wife off the road, having the police come knocking would be the absolute least of his worries", all I saw pointed out was the risk bikers put themselves at when neglecting the road rules.
These cyclists

Estes Park, CO

#7 Aug 2, 2013
Jake wrote:
Well put Katherine. However bicyclists need to obey the same rules of the road as motorist. I get sick and tired of having to slow down and yield to cyclists who ride double file over the white line, I get sick and tired of bicyclists passing me on Hwy 7 into Lyons, I am sick and tired of cyclists not stopping at stop signs or stop lights.I'm just sick and tired of cyclists all-together. When was the last time a cyclists got a ticket for running a red light? Works both ways Katherine!
are a sign of our times. No responsibility, no consequences, it's the other persons fault, I'm entitled so get over it. Unfortunately this is symtomatic of our younger to middle aged society. They all voted for Obama and follow the liturgy of a false God. So these cyclists will double up in power to defile themselves at the expense of the law abiding drivers of the road. Nothing will chane since Obama and his sheep acknowledge the verbal minority rather than the cooperative, law abiding silent majority that has class and sense.
ScoopMasters-com

Simi Valley, CA

#8 Aug 2, 2013
I always say "if common sense was common, more people would have it." Too bad they don't. People really should be more aware of their dogs especially in a public setting like a dog park. On the bright side, it does keep professional pooper scoopers, like myself, in business!

Since: Aug 13

Dallas, TX

#9 Aug 16, 2013
Goodness, Kay! You need to relax a bit and just let things BE! Have you ever wondered how the world because so populated with all of those people growing up on farms, around horse and cow poop, putting that awful dirty dirt in their mouths as kids, riding bikes without helmets and knee pads, etc..? your kid isn't going to die or become a vegetable if it comes into contact with a little dog poo or pee. They get more germs from daycare or their own homes than a dog at the park. Besides, their little immune systems become stronger when exposed to more HARMLESS agents. Most of the dogs, if not all, that are at that park, on a leash ( or not, whatever) are most likely well taken care of and live with their own set of children and are used to kids. Most have had their shots and a rabid dog is very obvious, btw. Chances are, your kid will be fine. He/she will live a long life but you need to chill out. Take a xanax....enjoy life. It's not the end of the world if your kids comes into contact with dogs. You kind of sound like one of those over-anxiety ridden scaredy cats that whines a lot.:-/
MaryJane

Loveland, CO

#10 Sep 2, 2013
um....Fort Worth Texass....dog parks are for dogs, playgrounds are for children.
you sound like the heat has gotten to you, are you on vacation? relax, chill, or go back to Texass.....
Jennifer Frank wrote:
Goodness, Kay! You need to relax a bit and just let things BE! Have you ever wondered how the world because so populated with all of those people growing up on farms, around horse and cow poop, putting that awful dirty dirt in their mouths as kids, riding bikes without helmets and knee pads, etc..? your kid isn't going to die or become a vegetable if it comes into contact with a little dog poo or pee. They get more germs from daycare or their own homes than a dog at the park. Besides, their little immune systems become stronger when exposed to more HARMLESS agents. Most of the dogs, if not all, that are at that park, on a leash ( or not, whatever) are most likely well taken care of and live with their own set of children and are used to kids. Most have had their shots and a rabid dog is very obvious, btw. Chances are, your kid will be fine. He/she will live a long life but you need to chill out. Take a xanax....enjoy life. It's not the end of the world if your kids comes into contact with dogs. You kind of sound like one of those over-anxiety ridden scaredy cats that whines a lot.:-/

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Estes Park Trail-Gazette Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why norovirus is such a menace (Feb '14) May 19 INDICT SAYANIM 39
News Law enforcement conflicts still exist with lega... (Jan '14) May 14 the Ace of Spades 4
News Larimer County Sheriff Justin Smith will run fo... (Feb '14) Mar '15 Mike 6
News Suspect arrested for armed robbery in Estes Park (Apr '12) Jan '15 wendyrich2626 9
News November is national home care and hospice month (Nov '14) Nov '14 Calvin James 1
Positive Changes (Sep '14) Sep '14 Charley Dickey 1
News Learn to be a ham radio operator (Nov '13) Sep '14 HAM 12345 2
More from around the web