Rell signs ethics reform bill into law

Rell signs ethics reform bill into law

There are 383 comments on the Connecticut Post story from Jun 18, 2008, titled Rell signs ethics reform bill into law. In it, Connecticut Post reports that:

On the fourth anniversary of the state Supreme Court ruling that triggered John G. Rowland's resignation as Connecticut's chief elected official, Gov.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Connecticut Post.

First Prev
of 20
Next Last
outraged

United States

#2 Jun 19, 2008
Gov. Rell, Chief Justice, Senators...Stop the corruption in the State Judicial Department. Those in positions of authority have been milking the judicial branch for years now, giving top management positions to their friends and family, all for personal gain...they are bleeding the taxpayers and the State dry...we don't need more deputy directors, program managers, executive supervisors...we need the workers in the courtrooms...CLEAN HOUSE NOW--DO THE RIGHT THING!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Unhappy Union Activist

Broad Brook, CT

#3 Jun 19, 2008
As a taxpayer I am outraged. Where is the justice? From the sound of it, certainly not in the Judicial Branch!
visitor

Seymour, CT

#4 Jun 19, 2008
There is so much nepotism in the Judicial Branch it is sickening. If your relative is a Judge, you are a shoe in for the top paying jobs. There are no tests administered for jobs, just send in your application w/resume and a phone call from your relative and you got the job!! High paying jobs are given to people without any college education. What message does this send to young people? No one even checks for high school diplomas!! Wake up Governor and clean house in Judicial.

Since: Jun 08

Broad Brook, CT

#5 Jun 19, 2008
I think if our leaders continue to fail to deal with these serious issues, then perhaps in November we should remember that when we vote.
Taxes are supposed to help pay for the things we need in our government, not to give a job to someone because they are related to or friends with someone.
Chris Komuves

Storrs Mansfield, CT

#6 Jun 20, 2008
I'm very happy this bill finally was passed. But when you take a step back and think about it, it's pretty insane that any public official ever who was removed from office for taking bribes would ever still be paid a pension afterwards.

The allegations of nepotism in our state judiciary made my other commenters are disturbing as well. Does this bill address those sorts of ethics violations? I really wish this article actually stated what the bill that was passed actually does in detail. Is it a comprehensive ethics bill, or just a narrow scope bill to deny pensions to convicted bribe-takers?
New Haven CT

Hamden, CT

#7 Jun 20, 2008
It is absolutely disgraceful that judicial workers who do their job and do it well with professionalism and dedication and have the qualifications are unable to attain a promotion not because they don't deserve it but only because someone much less qualified has "the juice" with the powers that be who will ultimately rubberstamp their promotion. Knowledge is no longer a precursor. The old saying It's not what you know but who you know is alive and thriving in the Judicial Branch within the State of Connecticut. To you, Mr. Joseph D'Alesio, and those of you in management enjoying the spoils of your deceipt, your corrupt behavior, and your disregard for those of us who do not matter in your desire to fatten the wallets of your families and friends, when will you have a conscience? I believe you collectively never will until your actions are scrutinized by an outside agency and you're held accountable. Only then will people like myself and the many others who man the wheels of justice day in and day out will truly believe in justice.
Ralph Riglisi

Plantsville, CT

#8 Jun 20, 2008
I am very troubled by the allegations made regarding Edna Press being a daycare worker prior to her position in upper-level management with the State of Connecticut.
THE PEOPLE OF CONNECTICUT MUST DEMAND AN INVESTIGATION INTO THIS MATTER!!!
If these allegations are proven to be true, then it is indeed time to clean house starting with Mr. Joe D'Alessio himself. Can we get the Connecticut Post to follow this growing story???
Signed, a disgusted taxpayer

Broad Brook, CT

#9 Jun 22, 2008
If I were reporting I would ask some questions.
1. Joe D'Alesio is listed as Executive Secretary as well as Executive Director of Court Opperations. Who is he Executive Secretary to? 2. If you are an Executive Director how is it possible to also be an Executive Secretary.
3. Finally, is he paid for holding two positions?
4. Isn't the state supposed to have a means to hire people in a way that is objective?
5. If that is true than how is it that there can possibly be people on a state payroll who are afforded such privledge?
TheTruth

Dover, NJ

#10 Jun 22, 2008
The caseflow coordinator trainee position's salary per annum is 47K. There was no "asterick" indicating that a law degree would elevate the successful job candidate's salary from 38k to 68k. This is beyond laughable.

If you are going to slander someone in a public forum please be equipped with ACCURATE information before spewing such potentially hurtful accusations.
A concerned citizen wrote:
Caruso should start with his own counsin, Edna Press, who was given the position of official court reporter in Stamford. The position required that the person be a practicing court reporter. Ms. Press was not. Before being employed only as a court monitor, not reporter, she was a day care worker, check her tax return records. Ms. Press had not done court reporting in years. Ms. Press advised one of her employees in Stamford to move to Bridgeport in order to be able to bill for mileage by being outside of the district. The employee fraudulently stated that she lived in Bridgeport for three months, before actually moving to Bridgeport, and was paid for that mileage. Instead of being fired, Ms. Press has now been elevated to Supervisor of Transcript Services, a top management position, with pay increase, and probably a state car, and yet is still "stationed" in Stamford for her convenience, and not in Hartford, although does have her new title.
Mr. Caruso's cousin's daughter, K Mulvihill, just recently acquired the position as "caseflow coordinator trainee." Ms. Press and Ms. Mulvihill are very close, personal friends with Mr. D'Alesio, the executive director for Judicial, number three in command in the State. The position of caseflow coordinator in Danbury was posted at 58k a year, yet the posting for "caseflow coordinator trainee," in New Haven, the job K. Mulvihill just recently acquired, was posted for 38k with an asterick, stating if you had a law degree, the pay was 68k. Let's all guess what her starting salary will be. Nice wedding present, Joe. Those in positions of authority in judicial continually alter the job classifications and qualifications as they deem suitable for their needs in supplying these upper management positions to their friends and family. It is an abuse of authority, it is corrupt, it is discriminitory, illegal, and abusive, in addition to being a gross waste of funds of Connecticut tax payers.
The REAL Truth

United States

#11 Jun 23, 2008
DEAR UNTRUTH--
TAKE ANOTHER LOOK AT THE JOB POSTING...Actually, the position does, indeed, contain an asterick. It stated the caseflow "trainee" would start at 38k, it indicated, by way of asterick, 68k would be the salary, if said candidate met the qualifications...(having joe in your back pocket) That is truthfully and accurately what the job posting stated, it MOST CERTAINLY DID HAVE AN ASTERICK. Danbury caseflow coordinator position, NOT TRAINEE, was posted at 48k. Take another look at the job postings, hmm, if they haven't been destroyed already....or maybe there's different postings floating around out there, the ones that go to the employees and the public, and the ones that get "formally" filed away in Hartford. How surprizing that would be...sort of comparable to Press' resume. The real one, and the one that exists in Hartford's file.
TheTruth wrote:
The caseflow coordinator trainee position's salary per annum is 47K. There was no "asterick" indicating that a law degree would elevate the successful job candidate's salary from 38k to 68k. This is beyond laughable.
If you are going to slander someone in a public forum please be equipped with ACCURATE information before spewing such potentially hurtful accusations.
<quoted text>
Let Justice Reign

United States

#12 Jun 23, 2008
Amen!!! Come on, Blumenthal...let's get it going...You know you got what you need...
New Haven CT wrote:
It is absolutely disgraceful that judicial workers who do their job and do it well with professionalism and dedication and have the qualifications are unable to attain a promotion not because they don't deserve it but only because someone much less qualified has "the juice" with the powers that be who will ultimately rubberstamp their promotion. Knowledge is no longer a precursor. The old saying It's not what you know but who you know is alive and thriving in the Judicial Branch within the State of Connecticut. To you, Mr. Joseph D'Alesio, and those of you in management enjoying the spoils of your deceipt, your corrupt behavior, and your disregard for those of us who do not matter in your desire to fatten the wallets of your families and friends, when will you have a conscience? I believe you collectively never will until your actions are scrutinized by an outside agency and you're held accountable. Only then will people like myself and the many others who man the wheels of justice day in and day out will truly believe in justice.
Fed Up

Scarsdale, NY

#13 Jun 23, 2008
Just another case of how corrupt the state of Connecticut is and has always been. Where is Gov.Rell and Blumentha or maybe they both are in the pockets of those in the Judicial Branch or could it be birds of feather flock together? Doesn't surprise me in the least just the same old corrupt system. One of the Good Old Boys Network. This State at the both the State and Local levels stands far and above the other 49 by a wide margin.
unjust justice system

Bayonne, NJ

#14 Jun 23, 2008
Really not at all surprised. I don't put anything past these corrupt individuals. They make up the rules as they go along, and the rules are only for certain people. What are we teaching our youth; that corruption and lies are okay, just get what you want and to hell with everybody else.
Enlightened

United States

#15 Jun 23, 2008
Maybe as a supervisor, your "copy" of the posting didn't contain the asterick. It most certainly was on that posting listed in our department. This is the area you found quite laughable? You didn't have much to say about the truth contained in the rest of the comments, did you? Because you know damn well it is all very true.
TheTruth wrote:
<quoted text>
S Walker

Plantsville, CT

#16 Jun 23, 2008
Ralph Riglisi wrote:
I am very troubled by the allegations made regarding Edna Press being a daycare worker prior to her position in upper-level management with the State of Connecticut.
THE PEOPLE OF CONNECTICUT MUST DEMAND AN INVESTIGATION INTO THIS MATTER!!!
If these allegations are proven to be true, then it is indeed time to clean house starting with Mr. Joe D'Alessio himself. Can we get the Connecticut Post to follow this growing story???
I agree with Mr. Riglisi. Hey, Connecticut Post, how about looking into this matter for your readers? Or how about the New York Times? I can see the headlines now, "Babysitter takes over Court System."
Fed up too

Yonkers, NY

#17 Jun 23, 2008
Everything posted about the corruption in the system is accurate - I know because I sit back every day and watch this well-oiled system grease every well-connected hand that it comes across. I've watched as relative after relative and friend after friend gets hired into positions they have no business being in. It seems that the more of a "personal" friend you are of someone who has the authority to hire, the more likely you are to be secured a well-paid, well-benefitted job. And if you're really lucky like some are, you get to supervise people by abusing your authority in order to create an environment that's more akin to "Mommy Dearest" rather than a professional office.
It's really amazing, though; this is, after all, the Judicial Department. It's the duty of the department to dole out justice on a daily basis, yet the injustices that occur every single day within its own ranks is absolutely shameful.
But ssshhh, don't tell. It's a big secret, you know.
Hopefully not any more.

Broad Brook, CT

#18 Jun 24, 2008
Fed up too wrote:
Everything posted about the corruption in the system is accurate - I know because I sit back every day and watch this well-oiled system grease every well-connected hand that it comes across. I've watched as relative after relative and friend after friend gets hired into positions they have no business being in. It seems that the more of a "personal" friend you are of someone who has the authority to hire, the more likely you are to be secured a well-paid, well-benefitted job. And if you're really lucky like some are, you get to supervise people by abusing your authority in order to create an environment that's more akin to "Mommy Dearest" rather than a professional office.
It's really amazing, though; this is, after all, the Judicial Department. It's the duty of the department to dole out justice on a daily basis, yet the injustices that occur every single day within its own ranks is absolutely shameful.
But ssshhh, don't tell. It's a big secret, you know.
Hopefully not any more.
Have you ever noticed that the most powerful people can not be found directly but instead have a very low profile? Just go to DAS website and use the resources link to find state employees. I put in the name of one person who I believe is the worst offender, giving jobs to his friends and family while taking the worst revenge on anyone and everyone questioning his authority in violating our ethics and laws -- you can't find him on DAS nor can you find him in the second of his duel roles listed anywhere.
Bill Wallace Scotland

Mansfield, UK

#19 Jun 24, 2008
After reading the comments on here I'm thinking that we have lots of unqualified NEET types here in Glasgow (Not in Education, Employment or Training) perhaps we should send some of them over there for a high paid job with lots of benefits. "Give Me Your Tired, your poor, your unqualified masses"
truth will set you free

United States

#20 Jun 24, 2008
The funny thing is he's on numerous "commissions" for judicial. When someone spoke out about the corruption concerning his actions during a "Public Trust (ha) Commission" hearing, he was there. The Commission didn't have any questions, they cut the person short and wouldn't let her finish reading her statement. They said her time was up, her five minutes, although there was only about 10 speakers there, if that. So, it wasn't because the meeting was going to go on for hours and hours with 30 speakers.
The Public Trust Commission's solution to the comments made was to completely delete that December date, the agenda, and the minutes from the website for the Public Trust Commission...that was their solution.
The bigger joke is that they actually have the audacity to put in their mission statement that "this Public Trust Commission will be open, accessible, transparent, and accountable." We were hoping the new Chief Justice, and others recently appointed, would step in and stop the madness, as they have the authority to do so. They are well aware of the allegations made against these individuals concerning the corruption. Many, many individuals have been made aware of the situation, it's going on well over a year now.
One would think after being apprized, that they, indeed, HAVE A DUTY TO TAKE ACTION, because the more time that goes on, the bigger the circle becomes, the more people shall be held accountable, and their lack of action concerning this corruption, might well place them deep inside this black hole themselves....all to give their friends and family upper management jobs...real friends don't ask for favors like that...I hope it was all worth it...when you're losing you pensions...and destroying your lives...all for the favors of few greedy friends.
Voting wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you ever noticed that the most powerful people can not be found directly but instead have a very low profile? Just go to DAS website and use the resources link to find state employees. I put in the name of one person who I believe is the worst offender, giving jobs to his friends and family while taking the worst revenge on anyone and everyone questioning his authority in violating our ethics and laws -- you can't find him on DAS nor can you find him in the second of his duel roles listed anywhere.
The REAL Truth

United States

#21 Jun 24, 2008
Correction: Danbury caseflow coordinator was posted at 58k.
The REAL Truth wrote:
DEAR UNTRUTH--
TAKE ANOTHER LOOK AT THE JOB POSTING...Actually, the position does, indeed, contain an asterick. It stated the caseflow "trainee" would start at 38k, it indicated, by way of asterick, 68k would be the salary, if said candidate met the qualifications...(having joe in your back pocket) That is truthfully and accurately what the job posting stated, it MOST CERTAINLY DID HAVE AN ASTERICK. Danbury caseflow coordinator position, NOT TRAINEE, was posted at 48k. Take another look at the job postings, hmm, if they haven't been destroyed already....or maybe there's different postings floating around out there, the ones that go to the employees and the public, and the ones that get "formally" filed away in Hartford. How surprizing that would be...sort of comparable to Press' resume. The real one, and the one that exists in Hartford's file. <quoted text>

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 20
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Connecticut Post Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Mississippi boy found dead after kidnapped in r... 9 hr pgh 8
News Bridgeport Gang Tast Force arrested two Tuesday... 9 hr BPT 1
News Man found guilty of raping teen family member 13 hr Iris 3
News Bridgeport man charged in bar stabbing Wed America Gentleman... 1
News Bridgeport man accused of assaulting police off... May 22 America Gentleman... 1
News Bridgeport man pleads guilty to offering teen f... May 22 Gavone 7
News Elections Enforcement staff: No campaign cash f... May 18 America Gentleman... 1
More from around the web