Mike Harden | Commentary: 'Father Joe...

Mike Harden | Commentary: 'Father Joe' reached out to inmates, ...

There are 12 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Mar 10, 2010, titled Mike Harden | Commentary: 'Father Joe' reached out to inmates, .... In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

The Rev. Joseph Stanton, a retired Roman Catholic priest ordained 59 years ago today, died Thursday at age 86.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

bob dole

Zanesville, OH

#2 Mar 10, 2010
what the heck does a criminal look like?
oldham

Weston, OH

#3 Mar 10, 2010
Well said Mike.
TOOK THE WORDS

United States

#4 Mar 10, 2010
bob dole wrote:
Funny, that's the line that gave me and my husband a chuckle, amid my tearing up-
a priest like Father Joe becomes like family, and one's family - at least those that have a healthy sense of humor- can tease each other as such, and laugh at our foibles.

It reminded me of the gentle humor of one our favorite priests, something he might say to give us a lighter moment amid our grief.

Well done, Mike. This tribute made my morning.
Sunshine

Norcross, GA

#5 Mar 10, 2010
bob dole wrote:
Like Uncle Mike, of course..Everybody knows that
Charla

Groveport, OH

#6 Mar 10, 2010
Fr. Joe baptized my first born...what a sweet and gentle man! May he rest in peace and let perpetual light shine upon him.
Rose

Columbus, OH

#8 Mar 10, 2010
AWESOME! Love the Article.
Mary

Nashport, OH

#9 Mar 10, 2010
I didn't know him, never even met him, but now I wish I did. Rest in peace, Fr. Joe.
Monica

Kenton, OH

#10 Mar 10, 2010
Thank you Mike Harden for the wonderful article on my uncle, Fr. Joe. As another reader said, he was such a gentle man and made everyone feel important to him.

A few funny memories about Fr. Joe:

We used to tease him because he wanted someone else to say prayer one Sunday at my mom's for dinner. He said "I already prayed today, it's someone else's turn."

Many years ago I asked Fr. Joe if priests get to the front of the line into heaven when they die, and he said "No! We have to wait in line just like everyone else!"

Oh, how we'll miss him at all of our family functions. His gentle voice, his sarcastic humor, and his spiritual presence.

He'll live on in all the lives he's touched. As long as I live, I will never forget his funeral. What a wonderful sendoff to a wonderful man!

Thank you Mike Harden!

Monica VonVille-Mitchell
Mary Lou

United States

#11 Mar 10, 2010
Mike you described a real man of God. Father Joe, when he was already in his eighties, helped out at Holy Spirit Parish for a couple years when he could have been relaxing in retirement. Thank you Father Joe for your "yes" to the call to serve others and you were so gentle with the heart of those deeply wounded by one's own humanity, by life and its' tragedies. May eternal rest be yours - but some how I think you will find a way to serve.
oldham

Weston, OH

#13 Mar 19, 2010
BOYCOTT COMMUNIST CHINA !! BRING OUR JOBS BACK !!
Jennie Keplar

Sunbury, OH

#14 Mar 27, 2010
I just found out tonight about Fr. Stanton's passing, and I'm heartbroken. What a genuinely wonderful person. He made a huge impact on my life, and was a huge comfort to me as a kid.

Thank you so much for writing this article. He deserves this kind of sweet remembrance.
Wright mom

Dublin, OH

#15 Oct 24, 2010
I'm a little late in adding my comment. Father Joe married my husband and I in 2000 at OLPH of GC. The priest who was supposed to married us was dying of cancer, and too sick to marry us. Father Joe took over that duty and we felt a closeness to him immediately. I am forever grateful that he got to give us such a beautiful gift and ceremony that day. I wasn't a Catholic then, but I am now, and Fr. Joe had a hand in that. Rest peacefully, Father.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Dispatch Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Scandal forces appraisal of gay issues | The Co... (Oct '10) 39 min KA pone 292
News 2 dead in shooting at Worthington bar Wed faux 8
News Ginther's budget adds firefighters, changes pol... Wed They cannot kill ... 1
News Mother, boyfriend charged in 2-year-old's criti... Nov 13 They cannot kill ... 1
News Fire-damage company target of state lawsuit | T... (Dec '09) Nov 13 taken 22
News Land banks take on more problem properties in C... Nov 12 They cannot kill ... 1
News Sober housing provider lacks licenses, Columbus... Nov 12 They cannot kill ... 1
More from around the web