Johns, White Castro grab center stage

Johns, White Castro grab center stage

There are 101 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jul 20, 2008, titled Johns, White Castro grab center stage. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Chikezie Eze , kicking off American Idols Live at a packed Allstate Arena on Saturday, hit on an unfortunate truth with the first words he crooned: "One of these days you're gonna look for me and I'll be gone." ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Annoyed atBS review

AOL

#1 Jul 21, 2008
OBVIOUSLY there is alot of animosity directed toward American Idol here.
TOO BAD THE KIDS whoare very talented & have done a great Job, take the brunt of the blow.. THE WHOLE review is Bu**s*it!
HOW BOUT MENTIONING All the successful artists that have come from American Idol?
From Kelly Clarkson , to Daughtry,
to Carrie Underwood, Clay Aiken, Jennifer Hudson,
to Fantasia, on on...
How bout mentioning the highest rated TV show in history other then sports events??
Opinions are like airholes.. Every schmuck has one I guess.
I'm guessing Gangstta Rap is more your venue!!

Singapore

#2 Jul 21, 2008
**** review. Ok guys this article is what happened when a fan boy tried to act like a professional.
McNulty

Quezon City, Philippines

#4 Jul 21, 2008
Tough critique but I agree with your praise of Johns' live performance. Good to hear even non-fans have started to appreciate him off the show. Wish the guy well--he's talented. Looking forward to a solo concert and CD from him.
Aileen

Buffalo Grove, IL

#5 Jul 21, 2008
How sad is it that this reporter forgot journalistic integrity for reporting the truth when he had to lie that the applause was louder for the poptart than for the actual winner and runner up. Since there were at least 15,000 other people there, hearing the deafening, great reception for the performers, maybe a retraction is in order. Since the writer believes Idol is a joke, why have him review the show? Also, I challenge him to go 1 hour while listening to mainstream radio without hearing an artist related to Idol. Some people just like to spread inaccuracies and negativities. Not liking Idol doesn't make you cool.
becky

Wausau, WI

#6 Jul 21, 2008
This reveiw is completely ridiculous. Obviously it was from someone that was not at the show. I was at the show and the 2 Davids were both brilliant. The audience was so loud when David Archuleta came out and throughout his set stayed that way and it was the same for David Cook. I enjoyed all the performances and actually bought tickets to go see it again. This article needs to be retracted or at least an apology to all the idols and this writer needs to be replaced--what a bunch of BS and I for one will never read this paper again.
Kate

Philippines

#7 Jul 21, 2008
What kind of review is this? Obviously , this writer never liked American Idol. This is the worst I've come across since the beginning of the tour. He's either blind or deaf or was not in the concert at all!
Stephanie

Bradenton, FL

#8 Jul 21, 2008
I attended the concert and tend to agree with this review. Michael Johns shows outstanding stage presence showing that his years of singing professionally prior to appearing on American Idol paid off. Jason Castro nearly brought down the house. When Castro sings songs he actually likes and that fit in his folksy-pop genre, he's excellent. His sincere banter about "dreaming" and "hope" for the future between songs left a very boisterous crowd enthralled and nearly silent for a few seconds. I do disagree with the reviewer about David Archleta. I think he's stronger "live" than he was on the show. He's showing more personality on stage and his voice has a richer tone than was displayed during the competition. That said there were weak performances (noteably Ramielle, Syesha, Kristy Lee) and the rest were somewhere in-between.
Margaret

Bradenton, FL

#9 Jul 21, 2008
Jason Castro is not a stoner. He has gone on the record saying that he does NOT smoke pot and no one who knows him has ever come forward saying they've seen him smoking pot or stoned (don't you think if someone had, they would have sold him out to the National Enquirer or TMZ by now for some $$$$!!!!?) Obviously you're not a very good writer if "stoner vibe" is the only adjective you can come up with to describe his lovely rendiition of "Somewhere Over The Rainbow".
CookFTMFW

Lincolnshire, IL

#10 Jul 21, 2008
Fair enough review on most of the show, but I'd have to disagree as well about the level of noise for both Archuleta and Cook. My ears are still ringing! Both of them are headed for superstardom, and both put on a hell of a show within the format they are required to follow at this point.(Blame the AI machine & 19E for making them do cover songs ad nauseum).
Wait until they can start solo tours...
Pastel

Port Elgin, Canada

#11 Jul 21, 2008
Ouch! Your not an Idol fan obviously. And I guess the youtube postings on the concert must have been severely altered (where do I buy that software?) because this review does not reflect what I heard from the Chicago concert. This is the first season that I watched Idol and, yes, while the production can be over the top (gotta love US television), I found it captivating. It's about finding new talent - the music- buying/concert-going public will decide how long they stick around. But judging from Jordon Sparks' recent tours with Alicia Keys and now Jessie McCartney, life for these idols isn't too shabby. I expect the same for the talented Davids.
IdolFan

AOL

#12 Jul 21, 2008
Seriously, I don't believe for a minute the writer of this article was even at the concert. Or, for some reason, like many other journalisms have problems with given anything Idol related any praise. Anyway, like another comment, my ears are still ringing. Both Davids got plenty of applause and to even suggestion the T-Shirt cannon guy got more is laughable at best! The concert was fabulous. I do agree that some of the gals didn't do that well, but Syesha's Listen was one of the highlights for me of the evening and I typically have not cared for her on the show. Carly was another of the performers that did a very nice job. But, the true highlight of the night was the the American Idol David Cook. He gave all 15,000 people a mini-concert leaving the majority wanting more.
Laura

United States

#13 Jul 21, 2008
This guy sounds like a crabby old man who is mad at the world. The show was wonderful. It was fun and very entertaining, and the talent was amazing. Michael Johns is finally getting the credit he deserves. Carly was awesome. Cook was what was to be expected, great and a great perfomer. But the star of the night was David Archuleta. His voice live is absolutely beautiful. He is amazing. He has gotten so much more confident on stage too. I would go to the concert again just to hear him sing. The cheering lasted pretty much thru his whole set. When he was talking, he had to stop because the noise was so loud. My family and I had a great time. I knew quite a few people who were at the concert and we all felt the same.
Marie

Mount Vernon, IL

#14 Jul 21, 2008
though neither performance earned the applause afforded the air-cannon-wielding toaster pastry that warmed up the crowd by launching T-shirts into the upper decks.
^ That line is just sheer idiocy. It made the rest of the review unbelievable to me.
Laura

United States

#15 Jul 21, 2008
I dont know how Atlanta, Ga, came up under my name...I am from Chicago, and was at the concert at the All State on July 20.
Marilyn

AOL

#16 Jul 21, 2008
Everyone, go yo YouTube and type in Michael Johns performs with the Dan Band. This is a must see. I'll let you judge for yourself what kind of person you think Johns is. I'm surprised
Fox allowed him to go on the tour after this.
Kathy

Plymouth, MI

#17 Jul 21, 2008
My guess is this writer never attended the concert! Like all the other David Archuleta doubters, you will be eating your words! Sorry you don't appreciate "him"! Your missing out! Just my opinion...
shebee

United States

#18 Jul 21, 2008
hmmm...you seem to be in the minority...most have raved about Archuleta and his incredible voice...and also loved Cook!
Apologize=Adult Contemporary? Huh? Don't think so....
Andrew Kennedy

Sandesneben, Germany

#19 Jul 21, 2008
Pretty much agree with your review although the first line did sadden me slightly--Eze's a really great guy and a fantastic vocalist--it's just his style has been done so many times before. I find Johns terribly cheesy--good vocalist but his covers of classics are not on par with the originals at all. He did not do Queen justice & I'll leave it at that. Castro infused SOTR with the magic it rightly deserves, honoring Iz's arrangement yet Jasonizing it & giving it his authentic mellow, heartfelt charm. Brooke similarly charmed her way through her entire set. I think I'll track White & Castro's careers--I'm curious to hear their original material. Archuleta's musical maturity actually impresses me. I'm not keen on all his ballads but my gut feeling is he will have a long career. I won't be buying his albums or paying to see him live but good luck to him, he's a decent kid & a good vocalist.
Rory

Chicago, IL

#20 Jul 21, 2008
Just so everyone knows, "special to the Tribune" means this guy is not a staff writer at the Tribune -- he gets paid per article. And apparently he had an agenda or just wanted to expense his concert tickets, because again, I was there and for him to say the noise was louder for the pop-tart guy is just fabrication.

Also the "equipment malfunction" for Syesha was because she picked up the wrong mike backstage and the tech guys had to figure out which one she had. If the writer had bothered to ask any of the technicians he could have found that out.

This writer has no credibility. Too bad he gets paper space.
MsObservant

Hickory, NC

#21 Jul 21, 2008
I love Michael Johns :)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Tribune Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 18 min loose cannon 241,696
News Man who led armed protest at Texas mosque publi... (Dec '15) 10 hr melissa 5
News Billy Goat's famous 'Cheezborgers' coming to Je... 14 hr AmPieJam UncleSam 2
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) Mon Ms Sassy 63,859
News Boulder, Colo., police regain lead role in JonB... (Feb '09) Jun 24 kauna 1,667
News Man charged in Hinsdale slaying wants speedy tr... Jun 23 maureen 1
News 24 hours without a shooting, then 4 shot in a h... Jun 21 Deer Hunter 2
More from around the web