Cash for clunkers program off to slow...

Cash for clunkers program off to slow start

There are 23 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jul 12, 2009, titled Cash for clunkers program off to slow start. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Those eager to take advantage of the cash-for-clunkers program will need to idle those plans for a little longer.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Mav

Batavia, IL

#1 Jul 12, 2009
Another dud from our rock-star president.

Perhaps people are a little worried about buying cars from government-owned bankrupt car manufacturers.
David

Safford, AZ

#2 Jul 12, 2009
Are our legislators so out of touch to realize that most people who drive old clunkers that get less than 18 mpg cannot afford to go out and buy a new car? What idiots.
Boris the Spider

Lawrenceburg, IN

#3 Jul 12, 2009
Who knows what this program was designed to do? Obviously sell new cars wasn't it.

Only the idiots we elected in Congress could create something this unnecessarily complicated.
Chicago

Chicago, IL

#4 Jul 12, 2009
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that NO ONE IS GOING TO BUY ANYTHING UNLESS THEY HAVE A JOB!
(too many are threatened with job layoffs as well)

No jobs = no spur of the economy.
clyde

Muskegon, MI

#5 Jul 12, 2009
This entire scheme is ridiculous. People driving clunkers drive them for a REASON: that's all they can afford. "Giving" them up to $4,500 in trade-in on a NEW car they CAN'T afford payments on won't stimulate anything beyond the repo business. Two months after the deal is done, the repo man will come calling and former clunker owners will be walking. Sounds like the idiotic scheme to give people houses they can't afford too. Same people behind it, obviously.
Drez

Seattle, WA

#6 Jul 12, 2009
Duh.
Common Sense

Lockport, IL

#7 Jul 12, 2009
Eveyone knows that the hurting car salesmen will just inflate the "rock bottom price" of the car being purchased to offset the savings that the customer will be getting.

I say enough of the X-plan, R-plan, MSRP, invoice price, employee price, etc. Give us a car with a base price. Then charge for whatever options we desire. Make the price of a vehicle the same whether it's purchased in Chicago, Texas, Florida, etc.

Letting these crooks make up their own pricing to try and sucker the consumer into a "deal" is just another reason they got into this mess in the first place.
zermatt

Schaumburg, IL

#8 Jul 12, 2009
It was always clear to me that this program would be problematic. People that own "clunkers" that qualify for this program are usually people that don't buy new cars. Their market of choice is the used car market.

Congress has inflated hope of economic growth on a flawed program.
oldcar

Chicago, IL

#9 Jul 12, 2009
Unfortunately, my 1991 Toyota, which is a clunker, won't qualify because it gets more than 18mpg. That's a flaw in the incentive program.
Taxpayer

Whitehall, WI

#10 Jul 12, 2009
Universal health care anyone?

How about global warming?

Immigration?

The economy?

Is there anything else Congress and the President can "fix" for us?
Proff louie alternater

Bethlehem, PA

#11 Jul 12, 2009
My old lawnmower gets less than 18.Does it qualify..? Ohh,! How about all those other lawnmowers that crawl around allentown and make alot of noise.(it be nice to have some quiet eventually,I hope)
Sunny

Carmel, IN

#12 Jul 12, 2009
Idiotic program. Cut peoples taxes, they will buy cars because they can affored them.
Democrats believe they can micromanage our lives. The ultimate nanny state is under construction.
What a joke they are. Note their success in holding unemployment below (8.5%). Ooops, didn't happen.
With each failure, the dumbcrats and media will keep lower the bar of success and claiming it. What a joke.
AEM

Oak Park, IL

#13 Jul 12, 2009
My 3 clunkers all paid for a long time ago, 2000 Caravan , 98 Jeep Grand Cheerokee, and 95 Sabaru Legacy, 2 of the 3 get better than 18 mpg so they don't qualify. We like other have stated can't afford the payments on a new car, the 3500 - 4500 still could leave you with a payment of 250 - 400 a month. I'll stick with the clunkers and no payments. Another part of the stimulus plan that is not going to work for the "middle class" ! Want to stimulate the economy ? LISTEN UP CONGRESS AND OBAMA LOWER OUR TAXES ! Stop increasing costs of everything, Obama said 95% of the people would see no TAX INCREASE ! But he did not tell us everyting in the world would be taxed more ! Trying to live within my means but each month it gets harder and harder !
Figure Head

United States

#14 Jul 12, 2009
My, my. Another Obama/Democrat program "Getting off to a slow start". Cash for Clunkers, stimulus plan, Iraq, Afghanistan.

Seems to becoming a trend.
Angel

Wheaton, IL

#15 Jul 12, 2009
Looks like I'm out too. My 95 Civic is still getting 27mpg city. Even if I could afford a new car (which I can't in this economy), I won't buy new. Too much price padding for something that loses roughly half it's "value" as soon as you roll off the lot. Give me something a year or two old, maybe out of lease, that's been broken in a bit already and won't cost a small fortune. But everything I've seen about this program specifically says "new car".

Interestingly, the new Scion xD's window stickers show that they get only 24mpg (noticed this at Taste of Westmont the other night) Who would have thought?
Welcome Comrades

Carol Stream, IL

#16 Jul 12, 2009
Let's just have a big bonfire with our tax dollars!

Puppet Boy Barry and the Dummycrat bafoons are going to flush an entire generation down the toilet with the reckless spending and expansion of government.

Maybe the sheep will stay home next election.
Sunny

Carmel, IN

#17 Jul 12, 2009
Obama's programs all start and end the same way. Start by raising taxes, end in failure.

Notice the mailiase wrougt by Obama's negative campaign and programs. I remember the Carter era, and the similarities are eerie.

Obama & company lack faith in the America ideal, and it is affecting the entire country.
GSs

Skokie, IL

#18 Jul 12, 2009
This scheme is solely to eliminate unsold new car inventory that has been clogging up manufacturers hidden lots. These rebates don't apply to one or two year old used cars which would meet the same fuel efficiency standards. A two year old used car would still be less expensive than the new car with little discount and the rebate.

Problem is in the past 3 years too many Americans took out 7 year car loans, often at more than 50% of their gross annual income. Consequently these borrowers are upside down from the inception to termination of the loan and won't even be in the car market for the forseeable future.

And those who lease basically are also into upside-down car loans.
works for me

Oak Park, IL

#19 Jul 12, 2009
I drive a vehicle that gets about 10 mpg. Have held onto it just because I love it and don't want to give it up. Will be hard to part with, but since I know it's going to die eventually anyway, I'll probably take this deal. Agree that it would better if it applied to used cars as well, but I understand the incentive to try to boost the auto industry - actually seems sort of smart to me. And the rebate might get at least some people into new cars who couldn't otherwise afford them, while taking environmentally-damaging vehicles off the road.
Jaxon

Tampa, FL

#21 Jul 13, 2009
Car dealers are increasing prices for good MPG cars because of the increased demand (artificial) from the cash for clunkers program. Not being critical, but it is basic supply/demand economics.
With the price increases, some markets will will give consumers no net benefit. It is poorly written legislation. Especially since the turned in cars will have a trade-in value equal to the scrap metal -- because all cars under this program must be taken off the road.
So some cars that qualify, may actually be worth more than the redemable voucher. Especially in down-turn economy, since the value of your car increases because more people tend to purchase pre-owned.
I don't qualify for cash for clunkers because my car already gets good gas mileage. But my dad swears by the car buying process here:
http://tinyurl.com/laub3m

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Tribune Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 10 min Dr Guru 231,040
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 58 min Ize Found 71,234
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 18 hr Into The Night 62,314
News Scientists say they have proved climate change ... (Dec '08) 22 hr YIM 7,942
News FDA eyeballs Lasik complaints (Apr '08) Sat skjblnd 21
News If ex-felons pay their dues to society, let's g... (Jun '08) Dec 3 Squach 1,168
News 3 men shot in West Garfield Park Dec 1 former democrat 1
More from around the web