Threat taken seriously by Carrollton School

Full story: Carrollton Free Press Standard

Dr. David Quattrochi said Friday morning school officials were made aware of the threat and it was turned over immediately to law enforcement agencies and the student was removed from school.
Comments
1 - 20 of 96 Comments Last updated Feb 14, 2013
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Bill Rosenberger

Ravenna, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

Notified parents this morning? Isn't that a little late? We got the call between 8:15 and 8:30 this morning. If I'm not mistaken, my kids were already in 2nd period. If the superintendent knew about this yesterday, why weren't parents notified yesterday? They can send out an automated message to remind my child of band practice but they can't send one out to notify that a serious threat was made that could harm my child? Really?
Tessa

Dover, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

I agree with bill why didn't the school call yesterday. I'm glad the situation was taken care of but my husband and I both feel we should have gotten the call yesterday. By the time I got the call my daughter was already at school. She gets on her bus at 720 am. It would have been nice to know about this yesterday.
tom indorf

New Philadelphia, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

what about the hit list that the sheriffs dept confirmed when we called last night and found out. i think the school dropped the ball on this one
Michael Grimes

Norwalk, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

I just do not understand why we were not notified. I kept my daughter home because we found out through Facebook. With everything that just happened at other schools you would think Carrollton Schools would want to keep us informed. We got the call from the school approx 8:30 after school should have started. I also checked the schools website and nothing. I just can't believe how this was handled.
Rachelle

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

Could the metal detectors be a permant fixture in the future?
Dan

Saline, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

This is a problem that I have seen in schools for a long time..... that child making threats obviously has some serious emotional problems going on. Throwing him/her in juvie is NOT going to solve the problem. If anything, it will make it worse. When I was in school, there was a boy who took serious emotional and physical abuse every day. The jocks would hit him, spit on him, and say all kinds of nasty things about his mother and family. This went on for MONTHS. Eventually he cracked. He made a list of all the people who did this to him and called it a hit list.

This is a huge problem, most people look at more security and metal detectors to solve these problems, but I don't believe this will help. Teachers should be more aware of bullying, and I would call some of these actions torture and hazing. Bullies should be severely punished, for they are the ones molding the children who end up making threats and bringing weapons to school.
Concerned Parent

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

The late reporting of this seems to be an attempt to insure that the students went to classes today, as it was well known at several school functions the evening before that the "threat" had been issued. I will not elaborate on what this "threat" was, but Mr. Quattrochi certainly should in a follow up statement so that parents and the community know the true seriousness of the matter. I'm sure that this can be accomplished without providing names of the minor(s) involved. I also believe we as parents have a right to know when and why the schools are on "lockdown", in a timely manner, as occurred as recently as before the holiday break and earlier this week for events that were unrelated to the threat referenced in this article. Instead, we have not been informed of these events at all. The best thing that happened here was the communication by the students and the fact that they informed their parents or other adults of the impending situation.
Amber Grunder

Madison Heights, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

Though I trust that the school & law enforcement acted quickly enough that the situation was abated, my daughter was quite distraught at news of this and I didn't force her to go to school today. We were first made aware around 6a today when my oldest daughter saw it plastered all over Facebook. My question to the school is... WHY did it take til 8:15a (LONG past when middle school, high school and MANY elementary students would have left for school) for us to get a call from the school's automated system officially informing parents of this threat???
Upset Parent

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

Initially, I was upset that I wasn't notified of a potential threat at my child's school until after school had already started for the day. Now it is coming to light that this situation has history to it. Really?? My child's safety has been in question and I am just now hearing about it. I find this appalling!!!
Randy Miller

Saint Clairsville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

People are overreacting. The school is safe and precautions were taken with locked doors and police present. If the danger was present schools would have been closed.
Seriously

Uhrichsville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

I couldn't agree more with all of these comments! If you want a more factual article and timeline, I suggest the article in today's Times-Reporter! Hopefully this child will get the help he needs and this will be a lesson to those who are not nice to others. If your name was on that list, I strongly suggest you take a look at your actions and make some changes and apologies! Students banded together to "Let Fish Walk" successfully, why can they not do the same thing with an anti-bullying campaign. It just takes one person to stand up to start a movement!
Upset Parent

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

People are over-reacting? I feel that it is only fair for the powers that be to give me any information that potentially pertains to my child's welfare in a timely manner. You tell me...is that really too much to ask?
Carroll resident

Jackson, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

I am 1000 percent against bullying, but i will tell you this... this is not the first problem with this kid. I know him personally and have for a long time. I'm pretty certain bullying is not to blame for his actions. He has severe and unexplained issues. I never let him be alone with my kids. Ever. While he and his siblings are not raised the way I would approve of, his father does love him and has been through heck trying to raise him. I honestly don't know what can be done to help him be a better kid. He's been on medication,counseled,ect. And this is not a phase. His whole life its one thing after another of things that he does that make you ask yourself, What is going through his mind.? I hate to say this but, I believe this young man if given the chance, he is very capable of doing the things he said he would.I also agree that that was awful timing to call and let people know about this incident. The call should have been early this morning.
Mary

Waynesburg, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

I did not send my 7th grader to school today because of the threat. I did not hear anything about it until this morning when I got him up for school and someone sent me a text asking if my son would be going to school. Had the school contacted me and made me aware of the situation and let me know it was handled my son would more than likely be there today. It is aweful to me that yesterday when they found out they did not make the parents aware. Those are our children there and we are going to worry and want to know whats going on. I do not think that they should get to decide what to make parents aware of...if it can or could have affected our children they should have to tell us. This is something (I think) that should be talked about between a parent and their children to make them aware of the possible situation and without knowing the childs motive that made the threat talk to them about bullying and other issue that could possibly be the reason for the threat. I had someone tell me today that she did not tell her two kids that go to the school she just sent them. Well (for me) I would rather my child hear it from me and have a conversation with them about it then them get to school and hear all the rumors and maybe be scared all day because they were not prepared for what they will hear from other students.
Concerned Parent

Waynesburg, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

In respond to the Carroll Resident My son goes to the same school and I had asked him if bullying could be the issue (in his opinion) and he said he did not believe that the kid is bullied in school. So that make me worry even more.
Confused

Saint Clairsville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

Before we start pointing fingers do we really know that this was a result of bullying? To say that teachers need to be more aware of bullying....really? Most teachers are aware of what's going on around them. They practically raise some of the students they have so they are fully aware of what's going on. Get your facts straight before you start pointing fingers.
upset mom

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

No people r not over reacting. I have 2 kids in the elem. I am very upset that the autimated system did not call till 830 this morning. If people haven't figured this one out we r a small town news gets around fast.
Upset parent

Norwalk, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

Parents are not over reacting. We have a right to know when our children are in possible danger. The schools should have metal detectors and armed security. Locking the doors did not keep the shooter out of the new town school. I understand the need to keep certain things quiet to avoid panic but our kids our involved and that's not a chance I'm willing to take.
Upset

Norwalk, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

We should have been notified when this happened. The safety of our kids our in the hands of these people. If the schools cant keep us informed when there is a possible threat maybe we need to step in
JUST A MOM

Wadsworth, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

I do believe carrollton has a huge bully problem. I just put my kids in this school district, and tho my kids have not had issues, I personally have witnessed tons of bulling on fields off the fields and through facebook. Was this kid bullied who knows, must of been to have a hit list. Carrollton needs to take a look at banning together to creat a program. Are previouse school had anti bulling t-shirts for the kids as well as posting a report of bulling activity that happened each nine weeks. As far as the teachers being aware your nuts a few teacher friends of mine will tell you 80% of teachers turn a blind eye to bulling.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ashburn Conditions

(updated 41 min ago)

Weather
Cloudy 72°F
Hi: 79°F
Lo: 64°F
Feels like: 74°F
Visibility: 10 mi

See Tomorrow's Forecast »