Mayoral candidates face off in public forum

Feb 8, 2010 Read more: Carlsbad Current-Argus 266
Several candidates for mayor addressed the public at a forum Monday night, including Wendy Amato, Jeff Diamond, Dale Janway, Tom Mathis and Martin Mills Jr. Read more
First Prev
of 14
Next Last
LOBO

Carlsbad, NM

#1 Feb 8, 2010
Listening to Mr. Mills made me feel I was back at at the Gabriel Ingelias comedy show a couple months ago..
dangit

Phoenix, AZ

#2 Feb 9, 2010
somebody better post this on youtube!
puddinghead

Carlsbad, NM

#3 Feb 9, 2010
LOBO wrote:
Listening to Mr. Mills made me feel I was back at at the Gabriel Ingelias comedy show a couple months ago..
What did he say or do? Tell us all about it
Watch Channel 23

Carlsbad, NM

#4 Feb 9, 2010
Guy Lutman and crew where there recording the forum. So if you have US Cable Stay tuned to channel 23.
resident

Carlsbad, NM

#5 Feb 9, 2010
Mr Mills was a very big distraction last night. God bless him, but he really needs some help. I hope he gets the help he needs.

I was very diappointed with the whole forum, I thought it was poorly done by the Current Argus. There were questions posted on the website that were much better and would have given us hard answers we need to hear.

Rather the selection of questions those choose were the ones that picked at each individual canidate. I beleive they should have picked one question like that and then really choose questions that would have given us depth into how each canidates vision for Carlsbad and how they are going to address the serious issues we need to address.

The pettyness needs to stop, we need real issues addressed.

After last night we need to hear more from canidates Mathis, Amato, and Diamond. These 3 canidates are the front runners in this election. eAch of these canidates has depth in leadership, knowledge, experience, and we need to get these three together and listen to them. I learned this much last night but we need to hear more.

Asking them the same question and let them respond.

Who cares why one candidate doesn't have signs, and what affiliation if any a candidate has to a bike club.

These have nothing to do with infrastruture, how they plan to go after growth, etc.

God help us if we are really that shallow in how we elect our officials.
another resident

Carlsbad, NM

#6 Feb 9, 2010
resident wrote:
Mr Mills was a very big distraction last night. God bless him, but he really needs some help. I hope he gets the help he needs.
I was very diappointed with the whole forum, I thought it was poorly done by the Current Argus. There were questions posted on the website that were much better and would have given us hard answers we need to hear.
Rather the selection of questions those choose were the ones that picked at each individual canidate. I beleive they should have picked one question like that and then really choose questions that would have given us depth into how each canidates vision for Carlsbad and how they are going to address the serious issues we need to address.
The pettyness needs to stop, we need real issues addressed.
After last night we need to hear more from canidates Mathis, Amato, and Diamond. These 3 canidates are the front runners in this election. eAch of these canidates has depth in leadership, knowledge, experience, and we need to get these three together and listen to them. I learned this much last night but we need to hear more.
Asking them the same question and let them respond.
Who cares why one candidate doesn't have signs, and what affiliation if any a candidate has to a bike club.
These have nothing to do with infrastruture, how they plan to go after growth, etc.
God help us if we are really that shallow in how we elect our officials.
How do you know who actually picked the questions to be asked... Don't blame the CCA, for something they may or may not have done.

I think those present where able to pick up on candidates personalities and reactions under stress. All of which come into play when they go to represent us here and outside the community.
Kornback Rattler

Artesia, NM

#7 Feb 9, 2010
If Ms. Amato is supportive of drilling and mining why is she a member of two organizations that oppose both industries?

Why does Ms. Amato conveveniently leave out (now) that she is also a member of the New Mexico Wilderness Alliance?

"Amato addressed her affiliation with the Chihuahuan Desert Conservation Alliance, saying the group is not against drilling for oil in the area."

Otero Mesa isn't "in the area"?

Ms Amato also stated last night that she new of several businesses and idividuals who decided not move a business into Carlsbad becasue of not getting straight answers and being directed to numerous places around town.

Who are the businesses Ms. Amato or is this another of your convenient lies?

Ms Amato also said last night that comercial property in Carlsbad is too high and if elected there would be an investigation. Investigation into what? Is Ms. Amato against priviate individuals setting the price of "their" property? Is Ms. Amato going to set property values in Carlsbad if elected Mayor?

Ms. Amato also went onto say that she never intended a proposed museum to publicly funded. Ms. Amato doesn't have a clue what kind of musuem..........just a museum. By gawd Roswell has one and so should we. This clearly demonstrates Ms. Amato's true lack of vision and shows her to be nothing more than a fluff and mouthpiece candidate. She "wants" a lot of things yet has no idea how to obtain any of her vision of a "vibration of peacfulness".

BTW Wendy we noticed you took that little gem down from your website.
Crazy Like a Fox

Carlsbad, NM

#8 Feb 9, 2010
HA..figures...my question...about what a candidate will do to clean up Carlsbad....went to the nut job Mills...who then proceeded to not address the issue. Just my luck..I wanted some real answers.

...and...Diamond says he is very close to Richardson...beware...Richards on isnt exactly the cleanest pair of shorts int he drawer...
Crazy Like a Fox

Carlsbad, NM

#9 Feb 9, 2010
resident wrote:
Mr Mills was a very big distraction last night.There were questions posted on the website that were much better and would have given us hard answers we need to hear.
Well..until Carlsbad gets cleaned up nobody will want to move here. Isn't that a "serious" issue?
Not a Trace

Carlsbad, NM

#10 Feb 9, 2010
Crazy Like a Fox wrote:
HA..figures...my question...about what a candidate will do to clean up Carlsbad....went to the nut job Mills...who then proceeded to not address the issue. Just my luck..I wanted some real answers.
...and...Diamond says he is very close to Richardson...beware...Richards on isnt exactly the cleanest pair of shorts int he drawer...
Diamond is a joke up in Santa Fe. And after the letter he wrote to Richardson last August he is basically a persona non Grata, which does not bode well for Carlsbad if he is elected.
resident

Carlsbad, NM

#11 Feb 9, 2010
another resident wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you know who actually picked the questions to be asked... Don't blame the CCA, for something they may or may not have done.
I think those present where able to pick up on candidates personalities and reactions under stress. All of which come into play when they go to represent us here and outside the community.
I apoligize. Who ever picked the questions last night I feel did not do the residents of Carlsbad justice. There were questions that were not addressed. In years past, I believe each candidate was given a chance to address one specific question. This would have been helpfull with certain questions.

One question in my opinion that would have been good for all canidates so we could see their vision is:

Where do you see Carlsbad in 4 years, under your administration?

I think this question would have given us a chance to hear the depth of knowledge and vision each canidate has over the issues surrounding Carlsbad.

AS far as seeing how one handles pressure, the forum last night is not a good vehicle to judge if one can handle one on one communication with people. What it did show, is Mrs Amato's strength in communication. I am sure all the candidate's will give her credit for being a great speaker.

The question is, who can make things happen and what is their plan of action. There was not depth given to answer this in my opinion.
After listening to the radio, 92.1 where the canidates have been given a chance to go in depth on issues, I have been able to rule out at least on canidate. I will listen to all these interviews, and make my choice.

So far, Mathis has been very clear on his perspective. Janway was not. These are the two I have heard. I wish these interviews could be aired on the internet, so people could log in if they miss them and listen. IF they can I hope that information is given to the public.

These are informative interviews, and yes I understand they are paid programs by the canidates.
Magneto

Carlsbad, NM

#12 Feb 9, 2010
I remember the conference Diamond is talking about. A lot of people put in a lot of effort to put together a nuclear conference in Carlsbad and Richardson pulled the plug at the last minute because he didn't want the greenies upstate to get upset.

Gotta say I agree with Diamond about raising hell about that one, even if I don't agree with him about other issues.
Amato Won

Hobbs, NM

#13 Feb 9, 2010
Clearly, Ms. Amato won last night. She was poised, intelligent, and professional. I thought she did a great job and will be a purpose driven young face for our city. Wendy Amato will sweep this election.
Look Again

Carlsbad, NM

#15 Feb 9, 2010
Magneto wrote:
I remember the conference Diamond is talking about. A lot of people put in a lot of effort to put together a nuclear conference in Carlsbad and Richardson pulled the plug at the last minute because he didn't want the greenies upstate to get upset.
Gotta say I agree with Diamond about raising hell about that one, even if I don't agree with him about other issues.
If you ever get a chance drop by Diamond's office and ask to read a copy of the letter. I think you will see a completely different perspective other then what has been addressed.
The second Paragraph I believe alludes to the fact of what Richardson did, in so many words, was bad for the Democratic party in SENM. Bad for Harry Teague's relelction and bad for Diamond's political future.
Janway Walked

Hobbs, NM

#16 Feb 9, 2010
Kornback Rattler wrote:
If Ms. Amato is supportive of drilling and mining why is she a member of two organizations that oppose both industries? Why does Ms. Amato conveveniently leave out (now) that she is also a member of the New Mexico Wilderness Alliance? "Amato addressed her affiliation with the Chihuahuan Desert Conservation Alliance, saying the group is not against drilling for oil in the area." Otero Mesa isn't "in the area"? Ms Amato also stated last night that she new of several businesses and idividuals who decided not move a business into Carlsbad becasue of not getting straight answers and being directed to numerous places around town. Who are the businesses Ms. Amato or is this another of your convenient lies? Ms Amato also said last night that comercial property in Carlsbad is too high and if elected there would be an investigation. Investigation into what? Is Ms. Amato against priviate individuals setting the price of "their" property? Is Ms. Amato going to set property values in Carlsbad if elected Mayor? Ms. Amato also went onto say that she never intended a proposed museum to publicly funded. Ms. Amato doesn't have a clue what kind of musuem..........just a museum. By gawd Roswell has one and so should we. This clearly demonstrates Ms. Amato's true lack of vision and shows her to be nothing more than a fluff and mouthpiece candidate. She "wants" a lot of things yet has no idea how to obtain any of her vision of a "vibration of peacfulness". BTW Wendy we noticed you took that little gem down from your website.
No matter what you say, write or do will distract from the fact that your guy Janway could not take the heat last night and he walked out of the forum. Everybody saw what he did and they know now that he can not handle the job as mayor.

Janway could not take the heat last night, so he left. Ms. Amato is the front runner in this election and she is ready for your lies.
Janway for Mayor

Carlsbad, NM

#17 Feb 9, 2010
Dale Janway was not 100% last night. I checked on him after the forum. He had been throwing up and had bad stomach cramps. He said he had started feeling bad in the afternoon but went ahead to the forum. About halfway thru, he said he had that "seconds before" feeling that he was going
to throw up and he decided it would be better to leave than embarrass himself by getting sick and throwing up on the stage and on tv. He will get my vote as I will always feel that he is what Carlsbad needs at this time.
Zogbert

Carlsbad, NM

#18 Feb 9, 2010
I think Amato did a good enough job to make it a four way race, but she's still running against the fact that she and her husband still sort of feel like rural carpetbaggers. "Hey, we're living in this little town. What the heck, I'll run for mayor. I bet we can charm these hillbillies into voting for me."

Given Janway's performance last night, I think the true question is what will his campaign and supporters do.
1. Will they continue to stand by their man with the assertion that he just isn't a public speaker, but is still a good leader?
2. Will they back Mathis, the other Republican (who recently received an endorsement from Don Kidd)?
3. Will they back Diamond, the other political veteran?
4. Will they back Amato, the other- in many ways- "chipper" candidate?
Amato Won

Hobbs, NM

#19 Feb 9, 2010
Not a Trace wrote:
<quoted text>Diamond is a joke up in Santa Fe. And after the letter he wrote to Richardson last August he is basically a persona non Grata, which does not bode well for Carlsbad if he is elected.
The way Diamond was acting last night, and I am sure your are correct. No body does that much name dropping unless they are insecure or have something to hide. Maybe both? I half expected Diamond to leave the stage to Amato, Mathis, and the Joker.
Caveman Blue

Hobbs, NM

#20 Feb 9, 2010
Zogbert wrote:
I think Amato did a good enough job to make it a four way race, but she's still running against the fact that she and her husband still sort of feel like rural carpetbaggers. "Hey, we're living in this little town. What the heck, I'll run for mayor. I bet we can charm these hillbillies into voting for me." Given Janway's performance last night, I think the true question is what will his campaign and supporters do. 1. Will they continue to stand by their man with the assertion that he just isn't a public speaker, but is still a good leader? 2. Will they back Mathis, the other Republican (who recently received an endorsement from Don Kidd)? 3. Will they back Diamond, the other political veteran? 4. Will they back Amato, the other- in many ways-"chipper" candidate?
The Amato family stated that they purchased their house here in Carlsbad in 2005 and followed the C-A while living overseas until Mr. Amato was finished with his overseas obligations. They purchased house in Carlsbad years ago, planned to move here for many years, and became an integrated part of our city.

I think you might have misrepresented the Amato family in your post and you should talk to them sometime on how they came to settle in Carlsbad.
Zogbert

Carlsbad, NM

#21 Feb 9, 2010
Look Again wrote:
<quoted text>
If you ever get a chance drop by Diamond's office and ask to read a copy of the letter. I think you will see a completely different perspective other then what has been addressed.
The second Paragraph I believe alludes to the fact of what Richardson did, in so many words, was bad for the Democratic party in SENM. Bad for Harry Teague's relelction and bad for Diamond's political future.
Well, that's kind of true. Carlsbad residents might decide Democrats are anti nuclear and vote Republican. Why am I supposed to fault him for being honest?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 14
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Carlsbad Current-Argus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News City urged to switch to once-a-week trash pick-up 7 hr Beth 19
News 57 students honored at Carlsbad Rotary Scholars... Thu Way to go 1
News Construction on West Loop Road could be delayed Apr 14 council 4
News $10K bond for man accused of hit and run Apr 9 Tish 1
News Former city employee arrested for embezzlment Apr 8 lobo8278 3
News 2 injured in pickup rollover (May '09) Apr 3 No remorse 14
News Carlsbad air service provider will not renew co... Apr 3 Tyler King 4
More from around the web