A question for coaches at the Carlsbad High School

Posted in the Carlsbad Current-Argus Forum

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of212
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Angered and curious

Carlsbad, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Mar 31, 2009
 
I have a question for the Coaches of Carlsbad. I have seen several comments on several threads on here talking about players on the football and baseball teams. I know I have teenagers and have seen pictures on MySpace and other sites and have seen A LOT of players on there drinking and smoking and showing bad behavior. I also know that there were at least 2 baseball players that were not eligible to play because of grades. Well guess what? They were on the field Saturday playing. How is that? I heard that the mother of one of the players went to the teachers and talked them into letting them do extra work so he would have his grade brought up to a D. What the crap is up with that? If you are ineligible you are ineligible!!!!
Now there is news of an incident with 2 baseball players involved in huffing canned air and wrecking a car, hurting a couple of kids, driving without a license and STILL GETTING TO PLAY. What are we teaching our kids!?!?!?!?!?
Why do the parents have to sign the paperwork saying they know the rules and they AND the students will abide by the rules or they will not play? It is bull#*!#.

Since: Jun 08

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Mar 31, 2009
 
Angered and curious wrote:
I have a question for the Coaches of Carlsbad. I have seen several comments on several threads on here talking about players on the football and baseball teams. I know I have teenagers and have seen pictures on MySpace and other sites and have seen A LOT of players on there drinking and smoking and showing bad behavior. I also know that there were at least 2 baseball players that were not eligible to play because of grades. Well guess what? They were on the field Saturday playing. How is that? I heard that the mother of one of the players went to the teachers and talked them into letting them do extra work so he would have his grade brought up to a D. What the crap is up with that? If you are ineligible you are ineligible!!!!
Now there is news of an incident with 2 baseball players involved in huffing canned air and wrecking a car, hurting a couple of kids, driving without a license and STILL GETTING TO PLAY. What are we teaching our kids!?!?!?!?!?
Why do the parents have to sign the paperwork saying they know the rules and they AND the students will abide by the rules or they will not play? It is bull#*!#.
Just more of the GOBN here in CarlsBAD
Wow001

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Mar 31, 2009
 
GUESS THE KIDS THAT MADE THE FRONT PAGE OF FRIDAYS PAPER SHOULD HAVE PLAYED SPORTS... MOST OF THEM STILL ATTEND SCHOOL
truth be known

Carlsbad, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Mar 31, 2009
 
Wow001 wrote:
GUESS THE KIDS THAT MADE THE FRONT PAGE OF FRIDAYS PAPER SHOULD HAVE PLAYED SPORTS... MOST OF THEM STILL ATTEND SCHOOL
I have often wondered on the inequality of how they let some kids play and others not. I also wonder why we monitor off campus behavior. I know that they are wrong but if not done on school property or school events do they (the school) have the right? I know that everyone will jump on this just a thought. I think that staying after school, doing more work some sort of punishment other than not allowing kids the one thing that gives them some self esteem is better. Kids that have drank in school, have been very successful in life. Have not any of you not done something as a young person and still done well in life
HAL

Carlsbad, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Mar 31, 2009
 
Some people will try to deny things they did in school even when there are WITNESSES IN THE ROOM...

These kids are so over protected that it's no wonder they seek out the dark side, then they realize how hypocritical it is and really start to rebel.

And before you go there, Yes I know about the evil bad kids... even the ones that kill and steal and rob even their own family.

Been there and done that...

Cut them some slack, and pray they see the light.
john

Carlsbad, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Mar 31, 2009
 
What if one of those kids would have been killed the night of that wreck, would those boys still have been on the field playing saturday? I also know of kids drinking, stealing from GNC getting caught and still getting to play baseball. When are the rules going to apply??? What is the purpose of rules if they are not enforced. Maybe they should go to the jv practice and move one of the 30 or 40 kids up and i bet they would take it serious and have the grades to play!!! The Carlsbad School Athletic department should be ashamed.
john

Carlsbad, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Mar 31, 2009
 
One more thing i bet if Kenny's daughter was in that car and had stitches and a broken leg and lucky to be alive, those boys would NOT BE PLAYING.
WOW

Carlsbad, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Mar 31, 2009
 
Yeah COACHES at CHS!!!!!!!!?? whats up with you damn teachers? see the system at the high school is sooooooo jacked up from hell, I know kids personally who do drugs and when taken a drug test, they somehow are able to play sports? HOW ODD??? this needs an investigation!!!
Parent of CHS Student

Carlsbad, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Mar 31, 2009
 
I know of a girl last year that was at a BPA camp and had just walked into the room where another girl had alcohol and she got kicked out of BPA. She took a breathalizer and it showed she didn't have ANY alcohol on her breath. The other students there even told school officials that she didn't have anything to do with it. Guess what they said? The rules are the rules. She had to attend 12 sessions of Alcohol counseling and was suspended for 3 days.
It is sad when students who are in academic activities get shafted but the athletes don't have the same rules. I hope the school board gets wind of what is going on and does something. I bet if they drug and alcohol tested the football and baseball teams they probably wouldn't have enough kids to make a team!
Frisky Smith

Hobbs, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Mar 31, 2009
 
it depends what the kids' last names are in this town. I've noticed that a lot.
hey

Carlsbad, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Apr 1, 2009
 
You've noticed diddly, you deragned, small-town conspiracy theorists! Stop giving yourself more credit than you deserve.
john

Carlsbad, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Apr 1, 2009
 
hey wrote:
You've noticed diddly, you deragned, small-town conspiracy theorists! Stop giving yourself more credit than you deserve.
apparently you dont know diddly, because in sports at the school level politics play a hugh role in which kids get to play. It has been this way for years and years and it will probably never change. So you need to not post on this subject because this is the TRUTH!
hey

Carlsbad, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Apr 1, 2009
 
Does capitalizing the word truth and using an exclamation point somehow make your argument more valid within the confines of your deranged hillbilly mind?
The Truth

Amarillo, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Apr 1, 2009
 
The conduct code being used by high schools is completely ridiculous. It makes me sick that the school system would actually promote such a thing.

Believe it or not Carlsbad.... not everybody was born with a silver spoon in their mouth. Not everybody can go to college on academic scholarships or Mom and Dads dime. Some kids only chance at success is through sports (rather it be through an athletic scholarship or the love of the game is enough to keep 'em in school long enough to at least graduate high school). And our high schools support the idea of taking away that chance because an athlete may have got into trouble away from school.

Even in po-dunk Carlsbad we see opportunities lost... Jesse Ramos was as talented an athlete as we've ever seen (in both Baseball and Football). Or Seth Rodriguez who was the greatest youth baseball prospect this town has ever seen... Yes they made mistakes and our school system made sure they would pay (with there athletic career) for these mistakes.

We even have had kids in our system who made it through the breastfeeding (monitoring behavior away from school)that our high school puts kids through, and go on to college only to get in trouble there, after having the high school embillical cord cut. Irena Ogas was the best softball player carlsbad has ever produced... and thats saying alot!

My point is... Kids will make mistakes, and I'd rather them make the mistakes in high school than as adults. The system should not take away what might be a kids best chance at success, because they got in minor trouble on a weekend.
Diamond Dave

Carlsbad, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Apr 1, 2009
 
Jesse Ramos was a thief and a punk and cut his own throat. I'm sick and tired of hearing about how "poor Jesse" was demonized. He would have been in prison had he not been covered up for by a certain female attorney here. "Course, she had to cover for him because her step son was right in there with him and would have gone down too.
Parent

Carlsbad, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Apr 1, 2009
 
The Truth wrote:
The conduct code being used by high schools is completely ridiculous. It makes me sick that the school system would actually promote such a thing.
Believe it or not Carlsbad.... not everybody was born with a silver spoon in their mouth. Not everybody can go to college on academic scholarships or Mom and Dads dime. Some kids only chance at success is through sports (rather it be through an athletic scholarship or the love of the game is enough to keep 'em in school long enough to at least graduate high school). And our high schools support the idea of taking away that chance because an athlete may have got into trouble away from school.
Even in po-dunk Carlsbad we see opportunities lost... Jesse Ramos was as talented an athlete as we've ever seen (in both Baseball and Football). Or Seth Rodriguez who was the greatest youth baseball prospect this town has ever seen... Yes they made mistakes and our school system made sure they would pay (with there athletic career) for these mistakes.
We even have had kids in our system who made it through the breastfeeding (monitoring behavior away from school)that our high school puts kids through, and go on to college only to get in trouble there, after having the high school embillical cord cut. Irena Ogas was the best softball player carlsbad has ever produced... and thats saying alot!
My point is... Kids will make mistakes, and I'd rather them make the mistakes in high school than as adults. The system should not take away what might be a kids best chance at success, because they got in minor trouble on a weekend.
Minor Trouble!!?? The kid was huffing canned air!! He could have died from that alone. Does anyone not see a problem here?!?!? Maybe I am too overprotective but I am trying to raise my kids to know right from wrong and teach them that drugs of ANY KIND can kill them. Are they perfect? No. Will they make mistakes? I am sure they will. And when they do they will face the consequenses. Not get off scott free.
hey

Carlsbad, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Apr 1, 2009
 
Agreed. Jesse received more opportunities than most. Having a mother that enabled and justified everything he did and blamed others didn't help.
The Truth

Amarillo, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Apr 1, 2009
 
Parent......It sounds to me like YOU want to parent your kids... as I do.  I do not need the high school to handle my childs off the field problems.  I (as the parent) will take on that responsibilty.As far as canned air.... or whatever you're talking about....  I know nothing about this "rumored" incident.However this indeed would be an extreme infraction.  But it does not take an extreme infraction to be suspended from sports.  Even if you are reported by other students to be consuming alcohol at a weekend party(and you have the integridy to admit to this infraction) you are suspended from sports. No charges, No cops, just alcohol(thats what I mean by "minor")

All I'm saying is the school should embrace every kids potential, don't take it upon yourself to take away opportunities.

Seriously, If they had "code of conduct" B.S. in the past... We wouldn't of had the opportunity to cheer for Shane Andrews and Cody Ross in the BIG LEAGUES. Though they had extrodinary talent they were normal high schoolers who made mistakes. Carlsbad School system would have ripped those dreams from them as soon as they had the chance.

Most of Carlsbad is made up of jealous people who look to pull the ones rising back down to there level.
chs alumni

Carlsbad, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Apr 1, 2009
 
The Truth wrote:
Parent......It sounds to me like YOU want to parent your kids... as I do.  I do not need the high school to handle my childs off the field problems.  I (as the parent) will take on that responsibilty.As far as canned air.... or whatever you're talking about....  I know nothing about this "rumored" incident.However this indeed would be an extreme infraction.  But it does not take an extreme infraction to be suspended from sports.  Even if you are reported by other students to be consuming alcohol at a weekend party(and you have the integridy to admit to this infraction) you are suspended from sports. No charges, No cops, just alcohol(thats what I mean by "minor")
All I'm saying is the school should embrace every kids potential, don't take it upon yourself to take away opportunities.
Seriously, If they had "code of conduct" B.S. in the past... We wouldn't of had the opportunity to cheer for Shane Andrews and Cody Ross in the BIG LEAGUES. Though they had extrodinary talent they were normal high schoolers who made mistakes. Carlsbad School system would have ripped those dreams from them as soon as they had the chance.
Most of Carlsbad is made up of jealous people who look to pull the ones rising back down to there level.
The coaches do know about the huffing but those boys are making them(coaches) look good so nothing will be done.
Tongans For Change

Peoria, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#24
Apr 1, 2009
 
When I played, we could do no wrong. I had many incidents "swept away" by coaches and our "Football Dads" (Boosters). when we got in trouble, we knew you called coach first, Booster dad second. If you could not get through, call Cal's Shade Western, there was always some one there that could assist. If the cops got their first, they called coach for you. Guess what, our parents would never find out because we needed to be on the field the next week. I never had a problem in academics, but I sure did a ton of papers for other athletes for a 'smal fee'.

Not saying it is right, but we did bring in a lions share of the dollars.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of212
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

Carlsbad Conditions

(updated 36 min ago)

Weather
Partly Cloudy 60°F
Feels like: 66°F
Visibility: 10 mi

See Tomorrow's Forecast »