Flag-defiling charge ends in fight, a...

Flag-defiling charge ends in fight, arrests

There are 1578 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Jul 25, 2007, titled Flag-defiling charge ends in fight, arrests. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

A couple who said they were protesting the state of the country by flying the U.S. flag upside down with signs pinned to it found themselves in jail following a scuffle with a deputy Wednesday morning.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

First Prev
of 79
Next Last

Transplanted

“Be No Tarheelborn”

Since: Feb 07

Albermarle

#3 Jul 25, 2007
These people were VERY lucky that some patriotic extremist didnt do them harm

They should consider themselves lucky and move right away.

Now that people know who they are and where they live ...they may bot be safe.

Defying a command of a Law Official is a crime.

They got what they deserve ...actually they deserve more ...but too many bleeding heart liberals in this town would make a stink
Helen

Wellford, SC

#4 Jul 25, 2007
these people should be deported. Come on! These people are protected under 1st amendment rights George W. Bush is the one who should be deported.
John

Wellford, SC

#5 Jul 25, 2007
I hope this story doesn't get picked up nationally cause that will hurt the department!
lee

Elm City, NC

#6 Jul 25, 2007
Waaaa boo hoo Waaaaa that mean ol deputy harrassed me WAAAAAA! I'm a lib, they're not supossed to use laws against me!! WAAAAA! But all kidding aside this will give these two a leg up when they run for office. Move on. org ,are you listening????
john

Pittsford, NY

#7 Jul 25, 2007
So, I'm poking around the web with the idea in my head of moving to Asheville and I find this news story; I think I'm in love with this place, you have the best cops ever.

Since: Jul 07

Fletcher, NC

#8 Jul 25, 2007
John wrote:
I hope this story doesn't get picked up nationally cause that will hurt the department!
Which department would that be?

Since: Jul 07

Fletcher, NC

#9 Jul 25, 2007
Transplanted wrote:
These people were VERY lucky that some patriotic extremist didnt do them harm
They should consider themselves lucky and move right away.
Now that people know who they are and where they live ...they may bot be safe.
Defying a command of a Law Official is a crime.
They got what they deserve ...actually they deserve more ...but too many bleeding heart liberals in this town would make a stink
No, the dumb **** who decided to make a mountain out of a mole hill is the blame for this.

Wanna see Rush, Hannity and Fox go bye-bye?

The mentality that seems to want to have these jerks who are screwing around with the flag charged criminally are NO different than the folks who are trying really hard on the LEFT side of the aisle to restrict conservative rights.

It's fair for everyone or not fair for anyone. Let the loonies have their say. YOUR rights go down the toilet next ... and the LEFTIES are almost entirely in control now, and will CERTAINLY be in control by 2009 if things keep up the way that they are.
Harleyrider

Henderson, NC

#10 Jul 25, 2007
The Kuhns shouldn't get 420 days in jail it should be LIFE. People like Kuhn shouldn't be aloud to live in US and I hope every red blooded american calls the DA's office and demand they get the max jail sentence.
Harleyrider

Henderson, NC

#11 Jul 25, 2007
Skidoo1969 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, the dumb **** who decided to make a mountain out of a mole hill is the blame for this.
Wanna see Rush, Hannity and Fox go bye-bye?
The mentality that seems to want to have these jerks who are screwing around with the flag charged criminally are NO different than the folks who are trying really hard on the LEFT side of the aisle to restrict conservative rights.
It's fair for everyone or not fair for anyone. Let the loonies have their say. YOUR rights go down the toilet next ... and the LEFTIES are almost entirely in control now, and will CERTAINLY be in control by 2009 if things keep up the way that they are.
Hey Dumdass the election is Nov. 2008 but if you and air america thinks its in 2009 then America will be saved from losser like you.

Since: Jul 07

Fletcher, NC

#12 Jul 25, 2007
I hope the ACLU doesn't dig a huge hunk out of the county's treasury.

Where was Sheriff Van Duncan while this was going on????
john

United States

#13 Jul 25, 2007
Deborah Kuhn said an Asheville police officer stopped by last week to make sure the couple was OK, after recognizing the upside-down flag as a distress signal.

Asheville police calls for service records show an officer did go to the house July 18 after a complaint about the upside-down flag. The officer did not issue a citation or file a report.

Scarborough then broke into their house and came after them, they said.

“He tried to keep us from closing the door, but we managed to get it closed,” Deborah Kuhn said.“We locked the door and he broke the glass to our front door and proceeded to assault my husband, saying,‘You’re under arrest.’”

funny the asheville officer seemed to understand the point here .
seems to me the sheriffs deputy was making himself
judge and jury . had no warrant had no reason to enter the home . could have handled this in a simpler manner yet took upon himself to use the typical bullying tactics that are so ever present in alot of leo organizations today. good going scarborough you helped them make their point loud and clear . wonder if hell be held accountable or given an extra dozen from the new duncan doughnuts
NoIcons

Inman, SC

#15 Jul 25, 2007
Harleyrider wrote:
The Kuhns shouldn't get 420 days in jail it should be LIFE. People like Kuhn shouldn't be aloud to live in US and I hope every red blooded american calls the DA's office and demand they get the max jail sentence.
Hello, my dropout loser. Yours is the kind of attitude which should be exposed and condemned. We don't need any more fascists or fascism here in the USA. Why don't you leave and take your hate lit with you. It doesn't help you read anyway. Take your foul odor, your leather and chains, and go. There are plenty of fascists abroad. Countries with sharia law are fascist. Try one of them. Probably plenty of petrol for that flatulent bike of yours too-- the one you don't really have because you can't afford it.

Since: Jul 07

Fletcher, NC

#16 Jul 26, 2007
Harleyrider wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Dumdass the election is Nov. 2008 but if you and air america thinks its in 2009 then America will be saved from losser like you.
I know when the election is, what I am telling you is that 2009 is when a Democrat will enjoy the office of the President and the perks that go along with it. At the rate that people like you actually think and react.

YOU are the reason that Charles Taylor got tossed from Congress.

Because? You are a ****!

That said, there is an opportunity for you to shut your mouth, and hopefully get the kinda people in office that you would like to have in office.

Nah, you will never shut your mouth!

People like you are a guaranteed vote for the liberal left. They figure that hillbillies have big mouths, and never take the effort to go to the polls.

Of course, hillbillies don't have the ability to think and reason either, by their thinking.

What I think is that if we let the **** that desecrated the flag get a free ride for doing it, what we get in return is a little more tolerance about what people like US are trying to say.

2009!

Since: Jul 07

Fletcher, NC

#17 Jul 26, 2007
WNCNATIVE wrote:
<quoted text>
What are you, effing retarded or something??? Where was the Sheriff supposed to be? On a ride-along? You're a complete and total moron.
Unless I am mistaken, unless Bobby Medford stole them ... I think they have radios? Ways to be able to communicate? You can't ride down the road without seeing any,and I mean ANY law enforcement officer on a cell phone.

I think that due to the time of the offense, he should have been in his office????

Maybe someone should have clued him in?

Nahhhh ... that would make too much sense!
NoIcons

Inman, SC

#18 Jul 26, 2007
don ramsey wrote:
i think the officer did the right thing as for unamerican people they should deport them to cuba to many people have died for our flag for them to do tid
While you're running sentences together and showing you're probably toothless and most certainly a 3rd-grade dropout, no soldier has died for the flag. And no one has ever been deported from the USA. Our soldiers have died for something much more complex. They died for the world's longest-living democracy. We call it a republic but it IS a great democracy.
And one of the tenets of this great democracy is the right of dissent. See the First Amendment for details. Not you because you can't read, but others may read it and the great literature which surrounds it and be enlightened; for it shines like a beacon to the rest of the world.
gaiaonlinedotcom

Brooklyn, NY

#19 Jul 26, 2007
come check out our site, we do flag burnings all the time lulz!
Jaycrew

Maxton, NC

#20 Jul 26, 2007
If Mark and Deborah Kuhn don’t like what’s happening in the country they have a right to protest. However, they do not have a right to desecrate or demean the flag that has been fought for to give them a right to protest. In addition, I think they should also be charged with sending a false distress signal causing both the police depart and sheriffs department to respond to a false distress signal. I also feel they should have to reimburse the county and the city for the time, fuel, manpower etc that was used to respond to a FALSE DISTRESS SIGNAL. I encourage the Kuhn to go to Saudi Arabia, China, Russia, etc.. to protest like this and see what happens. If they did they sure wouldn’t get their smug and ugly picture in the paper. Instead they would be tossed in jail to rot or hung or beheaded or shot. So, please my all means leave this great country if you don’t respect it and see how much better the world is without you.
Jaycrew

Maxton, NC

#21 Jul 26, 2007
NoIcons wrote:
<quoted text>
While you're running sentences together and showing you're probably toothless and most certainly a 3rd-grade dropout, no soldier has died for the flag. And no one has ever been deported from the USA.....
You are such an elites thinking you are so much better than others. I am sure you have read the Constitution and understand people have a right to protest. However, laws have been added and upheld that do put some restrictions on that. It is not OK to desecrate the flag and it is not OK to send false distress signal. If you think no one has ever been deported from the USA, you are the one that is ignorant. Also, shoulders have died protecting the rights of freedom and have done so with honor while flying the flag. They have also died in battle to raise that flag that would shine as a beacon of hope for all. Now go back and reread your history, your laws, your Bill of Rights and the Constitution, for even though you van read you don’t have the brain material to understand.

Since: Jul 07

Fletcher, NC

#22 Jul 26, 2007
Jaycrew wrote:
If Mark and Deborah Kuhn don’t like what’s happening in the country they have a right to protest. However, they do not have a right to desecrate or demean the flag that has been fought for to give them a right to protest. In addition, I think they should also be charged with sending a false distress signal causing both the police depart and sheriffs department to respond to a false distress signal. I also feel they should have to reimburse the county and the city for the time, fuel, manpower etc that was used to respond to a FALSE DISTRESS SIGNAL. I encourage the Kuhn to go to Saudi Arabia, China, Russia, etc.. to protest like this and see what happens. If they did they sure wouldn’t get their smug and ugly picture in the paper. Instead they would be tossed in jail to rot or hung or beheaded or shot. So, please my all means leave this great country if you don’t respect it and see how much better the world is without you.
See how much better the country would be off without people like you who don't understand the fact that the people have the right to peacefully demonstrate their points without jack booted thugs trying to kick their doors in.

Cops=Wrong
Citizen=Wrong

The ACLU will be salivating to help figure this one out in the courts.

Just more justification for someone to vote for Hillary to assume the presidency in 2009!

Since: Jul 07

Fletcher, NC

#23 Jul 26, 2007
Jaycrew wrote:
If Mark and Deborah Kuhn don’t like what’s happening in the country they have a right to protest. However, they do not have a right to desecrate or demean the flag that has been fought for to give them a right to protest. In addition, I think they should also be charged with sending a false distress signal causing both the police depart and sheriffs department to respond to a false distress signal. I also feel they should have to reimburse the county and the city for the time, fuel, manpower etc that was used to respond to a FALSE DISTRESS SIGNAL. I encourage the Kuhn to go to Saudi Arabia, China, Russia, etc.. to protest like this and see what happens. If they did they sure wouldn’t get their smug and ugly picture in the paper. Instead they would be tossed in jail to rot or hung or beheaded or shot. So, please my all means leave this great country if you don’t respect it and see how much better the world is without you.
Respect does not equal agreement.

I think that you would respect their right to display their disagreement. And I would hope that you would respect the fact that they have the right to do so. A jackboot thug kicking in their front door isn't what we want for our troops to be doing in Iraq, and we certainly don't want that done in our communities.

Even if they had broken his hand in the door, hypothetically ... that was his time to retreat to his car and call for back-up. I don't think that a law enforcement officer with any level of training would have done something like that, for no other reason other than to *get back at the people who did that to him.*

This law enforcement officer is nothing more than a jack-boot thug. No different than the Nazi's who broke into the houses of the Jews during WWII. They didn't need to have restraint, and apparently this one didn't feel the need to either.

My Question again, for the sake of the topic ... WHERE was Van Duncan?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 79
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Asheville Citizen-Times Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 4 hr Dogen 164,694
News Latest victims of $4 gas? NC gas station owners (Jun '08) Nov 18 George 3
News Arrests: Man charged with meth trafficking (Oct '08) Nov 15 Cop 7
News Robert Dean Taylor found guilty in 1993 1st deg... (Jul '08) Nov 14 The answer 33
News Asheville man uplifts others after prison stint (Jan '14) Nov 4 Hon Jill W Rose 10
http://www.springcreeknc.com/--- Proof that a B... (Feb '08) Oct 23 Arlaine 21
News French Broad River water levels are advantageou... (Aug '08) Oct '17 jdr3366 13
More from around the web