Michelle Kwan's on the mend

There are 12 comments on the The Charlotte Observer story from May 11, 2006, titled Michelle Kwan's on the mend. In it, The Charlotte Observer reports that:

Ice skater Michelle Kwan, winner of nine national titles, five world titles and Olympic silver and bronze medals, will appear in Charlotte on Saturday at the Bobcats Arena with the John Hancock Champions on Ice ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Charlotte Observer.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“All MEN ARE VINCIBLE!!!!!!!! !!”

Since: Jan 07

SomeWhere in Georgia

#42 Aug 8, 2007
I agree with most of what you stated, Chatte, but I do not agree with what you have stated about Sarah Hughes. Sarah was the only perfect skater that night; although, she was not the most favorable to win. The other skaters just flapped. Remember, the best preformance wins, regardless of the present rank, as a skater.

Tara lipinki was too the best skater when she had won her GOLD! It is not wrtten that the numberd one ranked always will win the GOLD, or the fifth ranked will always be the loser or lower ranked.
jgrv

Brooklyn, NY

#43 Oct 5, 2007
If Michelle had won Olympic Gold in '98, she would have retired with 1 Olympic title, 2 National titles, and 1 World title.

Tara and Sarah would definitely have stayed in longer if they had not won Olympic gold.

I never bought that Michelle loved competing all that much--she was a pretty sore loser (not "gracious" at all--whoever came up with that She loved winning, and desperately wanted the Olympic gold. It's the only reason she stayed eligible all those years. And frankly, if she were THAT great, she would have won Olympic gold. After all, she had two chances.
Montana

Laurel, MT

#44 Oct 23, 2007
jgrv wrote:
If Michelle had won Olympic Gold in '98, she would have retired with 1 Olympic title, 2 National titles, and 1 World title.
Tara and Sarah would definitely have stayed in longer if they had not won Olympic gold.
I never bought that Michelle loved competing all that much--she was a pretty sore loser (not "gracious" at all--whoever came up with that She loved winning, and desperately wanted the Olympic gold. It's the only reason she stayed eligible all those years. And frankly, if she were THAT great, she would have won Olympic gold. After all, she had two chances.
I couldn't agree more...she didn't IMO win the Bronze in SLC...it belongs to Sasha Cohen and what she did to make Torino all about Poor Poor Michelle was reprehensible and unforgivable! Her love of 'competing' only applied when she was a given winner..so many times she was held up by the judges and her so called amatuer status allowed her to have her cake and eat it too....make mega bucks w/o going pro..and step on anyone or anything in the way of her 'photo ops and press...the pity party in Torino and even the big old deal made out of 'make a wish'...who was that about...Kwan or the child? Kwan donated nothing to that family and there wasn't a picture that didn't include her...me, I figure Kwan's as phony and arrogant as they come.

“All MEN ARE VINCIBLE!!!!!!!! !!”

Since: Jan 07

SomeWhere in Georgia

#45 Oct 26, 2007
jgrv wrote:
I do not agree with you. She is great; not all great althletes/ performers can earn a medal. With hundreds of competitors, in a decade, there will be only three top althletes. Sometimes, the most favorable does not win. The medals are given to the ones that perform their best at the appropiate time, say one, two and three. Kwan was/is great!!!!!!!!!! I guess, all dream of obtainning gold; that is not the norm.
barbara baer

Deerfield Beach, FL

#46 Apr 4, 2008
stop bashing michelle kwan tara and
sarah may have won the gold medal
after the olympics sarah could not
beat michelle. sarah made a fool out
of herself what a joke.and as far as
i am concerend michelle was even better
then tara lapinsky. michelle is a role model
Kerry Ann

Hicksville, NY

#47 May 11, 2008
Sarah and Tara are THE WORST OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALIST in the history of figure skating. Especially Sarah who won on technicalty. I hoped she thanked Irina for winnning because the gold medal should have gone to Michelle or Irina. Sarah was 4th on SP for goodness sakes. She didnt deserve it. It was a complete FLUKE,
Mr Peace

United States

#48 Jun 4, 2008
Michelle Kwan is a better skater that Tara Lipinski. Michelle Kwan is a better skater than Sarah Hughes. In Nagano, Tara was pushed ahead by the judges just because they wanted to see the youngest woman ever to win a Ladies Singles Olympic Figure Skating Gold medal.(Look at all the publicity the Olympics got.)
Tara was cocky and unsportsman like in the way that she reacted to her "victory."
Mr Peace

United States

#49 Jun 4, 2008
I see that no Kwan-hater has responded to my post yet. Could it be because I'm right?
Mr Peace

United States

#50 Jun 4, 2008
And we have a winner in this debate!!
The side of....Michelle Kwan!!!
Case Closed.
Mr Peace

United States

#51 Jun 13, 2008
Montana wrote:
<quoted text>
THE LOSER IS MICHELLE KWAN!!!!!!!!!! Lost in Nagano...blew it big time in SLC....and splattered herself all over the ice in Torino after whining and begging 'let me go...I am good...I can do it this time<...let's hear for for the WAHHHHHHH WAHHHHHHHHHHHHH WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH na be Michelle Kwan..
Medals...yeah right...like they are earned or matter at all...no OG hanging around her neck...heh heh heh heh....couldn't cut it with the best of the best...just little old contests where she could grin and stick out her leg....
so..you aren't right..just a bit late in putting in your two cents worth...
Michelle is a looooooserrrrrrrrr

Sasha Cohen is a two time Olympic loser! Irina Slutskaya is a THREE time Olympic loser! Meanwhile, although Michelle Kwan has not won a gold medal at The Olympic games she has won more National Championships than Slutskaya or Cohen. She has won more WORLD championships than Kwan or Cohen. Michelle Kwan is a Winner!!!!!

Mr Peace
Mr Peace

United States

#52 Jun 14, 2008
What unites we American Sports fans is that WE WANT TO WIN! Michelle Kwan has given us FIVE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS!! When she didn't win a gold medal in Nagano, Japan or Salt Lake City, USA another American skater won the gold medal. We won PLUS we got another medal.
When Sasha Cohen competed in Torino, she had 300,000,000 hopes riding on her and she choked!! Tara Lipinski: Winner! Sarah Hughes: Winner! Michelle Kwan: Winner! Sasha Cohen: Loser! Sasha Cohen couldn't keep the American Ladies on top of the Olympic podium!
Montana

Bozeman, MT

#53 Jan 7, 2011
MICHELLE KWAN IS A LOSER AND A JOKE. OMG holding a press conference to announce that she wouldn't be competing in 2010 was hilarious. Are we to be treated every Olympics with Kwan's "decision"? She was ridiculously arrogant in thinking that figure skating fans were holding their breath and couldn't get on with life until she 'made her decision'. Like it was her choice and USFS was BEGGING her to please please please compete. KWAN didn't put the US ladies on top of the podium...she had to take a step down and then another step down to Sasha's bronze. Sasha won silver in Torino and then went on to actually try for a spot on the 2010 team instead of pulling a 'Michelle Kwan'. She didn't win, she didn't make it but she is highly respected in the skating world and she TRIED.On skates. In front of an audience, not in a closed ''audition''. That is the mark of a true athlete and expemplifies sportsmanship and integrity.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Michelle Kwan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News PHOTOS: Johnny Weir, fashion iconPHOTOS: Johnny... (May '14) May '14 Angelina 1
News Michelle Kwan Skates Away with Disney Deal (Feb '06) Oct '12 Loco Madre7 83
News The Biggest Surprise Stars of the Olympic Games (Dec '11) Dec '11 one who knows 1
News Michelle Kwan -- Sports have power to change lives (Sep '11) Nov '11 Ms E 3
News Woman Figure Skater Wears Pants on Ice (Feb '06) Apr '11 KWANSUCKSDIRT 316
News Quit skating? Kwan 'not closing any doors' (Apr '06) Mar '11 Montana 59
Michelle Kwan is the best! (Jun '08) Feb '11 What You Say Willis 9
More from around the web